Kate ......

Default Can you help me identify old cookbook

I hope some of you can help me identify an old cookbook . I got it at a
yard sale . It has both front and back covers gone. The first page is
Tables . Last page index to shrimp, food value and cooking methods of.
On the introduction page it mentions ( in Bold type , large capital
letters ) Mrs., Homemaker, This Book is Written For You ....
Acknowledgments ... columnist, Drs. Poultry and live stock Board,
etc. ....Has the recipes in red . All else is in black print. Its a
large book. I think it may be from the forties. I sure have enjoyed
reading it. Hope someone can tell me more about it. Going through it , I
think of my mother in - laws old - The American Women Cook Book.
Thank you , kate

Sylvia

Hi, Kate. Doesn't look like you've gotten any replies. I'm not
familiar with the cookbook, but you might try to find a dealer or two
who specializes in old cookbooks and ask him/her for help. (I don't
know of anyone but I'm sure they're out there.)

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

jmcquown

Sylvia wrote:
> Hi, Kate. Doesn't look like you've gotten any replies. I'm not
> familiar with the cookbook, but you might try to find a dealer or two
> who specializes in old cookbooks and ask him/her for help. (I don't
> know of anyone but I'm sure they're out there.)

Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to? Some of us have
no idea what you are talking about.

Jill

jmcquown

Kate ...... wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Sylvia wrote:
>>> Hi, Kate. Doesn't look like you've gotten any replies.(snip)

>> Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to? Some of
>> us have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>> Jill

> Sorry Jill ..... no come backs at all. I was surprised that yours
> was here this morning. I do love to read these old cookbooks and was
> happy to find this one . Though its in bad shape. Was wondering if
> someone on the group might have one. hugs ... kate

I didn't see the original post so I don't know what cookbook you (or Sylvia)
were referring to. I, too, love old cookbooks... in fact I love old books,
period. Care to give me a clue? <G>

Jill

Kate ......

jmcquown wrote:

> Sylvia wrote:
> > Hi, Kate. Doesn't look like you've gotten any replies. I'm not
> > familiar with the cookbook, but you might try to find a dealer or two
> > who specializes in old cookbooks and ask him/her for help. (I don't
> > know of anyone but I'm sure they're out there.)

> Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to? Some of us have
> no idea what you are talking about.
>
> Jill

Sorry Jill ..... no come backs at all. I was surprised that yours was here
this morning. I do love to read these old cookbooks and was happy to find
this one . Though its in bad shape. Was wondering if someone on the group
might have one. hugs ... kate

Sylvia

Default Yet ANOTHER rude self-appointed newsgroup policeperson

> Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

Would you mind not telling others how to post?

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com
Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
Remove "removethis" from address to reply

Foghorn

In ,
Sylvia > typed:
>> Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

> Would you mind not telling others how to post?

http://www.ah61.com/Quoting/whyquote.html

Default Yet ANOTHER rude self-appointed police person of newsgroup policepersons

In rec.food.cooking, Sylvia > wrote:

> > Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

> Would you mind not telling others how to post?

Would you mind not telling others to not tell other how not to post?
Sheryl Rosen

in article , Foghorn at
wrote on 11/2/03 8:44 PM:

> In ,
> Sylvia > typed:
>>> Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

>> Would you mind not telling others how to post?

http://www.ah61.com/Quoting/whyquote.html

the only way to get her to change her ways (Sylvia, that is, not quoting
context, and not attributing quotes when she does) is to treat her like a
troll and not respond to her blatherings.

If she sees that people really don't appreciate her style, and don't
understand what the hell she's talking about, she might (though it's
unlikely) change her style and adopt the conventions we all use to
communicate with clarity.

Bugging her about it is just feeding the troll.

I think I remember reading one of her posts suggesting people trim their
quotes to just the relevant parts. Maybe that's where this comes
from...she's trying to economize band width. But she takes it to the
extreme, to the point where communication suffers.

I added her to my killfile but it doesn't seem to be working. I'll have to
try again.

Deepak Saxena

In article >,
Sylvia > wrote:

> > Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

>Would you mind not telling others how to post?

This is a community. People expect you to behave a certain
way to make life easy for everyone. I've been using usenet
newsgroups since the early days (1990) and it's always
just been accepted practice to provide some contextual quotes.
It's much easier for people to follow discussions that way.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - - http://www.plexity.net

Tim Challenger

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 01:44:13 GMT, Sylvia wrote:

> > Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

> Would you mind not telling others how to post?

That looks rather like a request, than telling someone.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Jack Schidt®

"Naomi Darvell" > wrote in message

Goofus says:

> >the only way to get her to change her ways (Sylvia, that is, not quoting
> >context, and not attributing quotes when she does) is to treat her like a
> >troll and not respond to her blatherings.
> >
> >If she sees that people really don't appreciate her style, and don't
> >understand what the hell she's talking about, she might (though it's
> >unlikely) change her style and adopt the conventions we all use to
> >communicate with clarity.

Gallant says:

> I don't think it ever hurts to set an example with politeness. If you

treat
> people contemptuously and they don't know why, they're not likely to try

> change to suit you.

Sorry, just back from the dentist. Huh? oh, no cavities.

Jack Highlights

Vox Humana

No.

zxcvbob

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> "Naomi Darvell" > wrote in message
>
> Goofus says:
>

>>> the only way to get her to change her ways (Sylvia, that is, not
>>> quoting context, and not attributing quotes when she does) is to
>>> treat her like a troll and not respond to her blatherings.
>>>
>>> If she sees that people really don't appreciate her style, and
>>> don't understand what the hell she's talking about, she might
>>> (though it's unlikely) change her style and adopt the conventions
>>> we all use to communicate with clarity.
>>>

> Gallant says:
>

>> I don't think it ever hurts to set an example with politeness. If
>> you treat people contemptuously and they don't know why, they're
>> not likely to try to change to suit you.
>>

> Sorry, just back from the dentist. Huh? oh, no cavities.
>
> Jack Highlights

How would Politeness Man handle the situation?

Bob Hanky

Donna Pattee

In article >,
Sylvia > wrote:
> > Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

>Would you mind not telling others how to post?
>
>--
>Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
>http://www.SteigerFamily.com
>Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
>Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
>Remove "removethis" from address to reply

This is not someone being a cop, it's someone trying to give you (free!)
a clue. I've pretty much quit reading your posts since I have NO idea
what you're responding to most of the time. Guess I'll go back to ignoring
your posts again since you are unreceptive to hints . . .

Dan Abel

In article >, "Vox Humana"
> wrote:

> No.

Yes.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Jack Schidt®

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> How would Politeness Man handle the situation?
>
> Bob Hanky

He'd probably say "There's never an excuse for rudeness" or "use a doily
daily".

Jack Lampoon.

Mark Shaw

Deepak Saxena > wrote:
> In article >,
> Sylvia > wrote:
> >
> > > Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

> >Would you mind not telling others how to post?

> This is a community. People expect you to behave a certain
> way to make life easy for everyone. I've been using usenet

I don't think homeschoolers are all that interested in
being part of a community.

--
Mark Shaw anti-spam: change 'bang' to 'not' to email me
"This time I think the Americans are serious. Bush is not like Clinton.
Jason Tinling

"j*ni p." > wrote in message
> Hark! I heard (Dan Abel) say:
> > In article >, "Vox Humana"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > No.

> > Yes.

> Maybe?

Perhaps....

Jason

Peggy

Jason Tinling wrote:

> "j*ni p." > wrote in message
>
>>Hark! I heard (Dan Abel) say:

>>>Yes.

>>Maybe?
>>

> Perhaps....
>
> Jason

Nahhhhhh.

Peg

Vox Humana

"j*ni p." > wrote in message
> Hark! I heard (Dan Abel) say:
> > In article >, "Vox Humana"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > No.

> > Yes.

> Maybe?

Depends.

Frogleg

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 11:01:53 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>How would Politeness Man handle the situation?

In part, just the way rfc'rs have. Kindly pointing out the customs of
the country.

I expect Politeness Man, after the poster had reacted negatively to
these gentle hints, would ignore him/her without comment. Works for
me. :-)
PENMART01

Tim Challenger writes:

>Sylvia wrote:

Someone begged:

>>> Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

>> Would you mind not telling others how to post?

>That looks rather like a request, than telling someone.

Please foregive her, Sylvia is handicapped... a functionally illiterate ****.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Jason Tinling

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "j*ni p." > wrote in message
> > Hark! I heard (Dan Abel) say:
> > > In article >, "Vox Humana"

> > > Yes.

> > Maybe?
> >

> Depends.

Pampers

A.T. Hagan

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:55:18 +0000 (UTC), Mark Shaw
> wrote:

>Deepak Saxena > wrote:

>> >Would you mind not telling others how to post?

>> This is a community. People expect you to behave a certain
>> way to make life easy for everyone. I've been using usenet

>I don't think homeschoolers are all that interested in
>being part of a community.

You know many homeschoolers?

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
Puester

Vox Humana wrote:

> "j*ni p." > wrote in message
> > Hark! I heard (Dan Abel) say:
> > > In article >, "Vox Humana"

> > > Yes.

> > Maybe?
> >

> Depends.

Pampers?

;-)
Curly Sue

On 3 Nov 2003 18:16:53 GMT, (Donna Pattee)
wrote:

>In article >,
>Sylvia > wrote:
>> > Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

>>Would you mind not telling others how to post?
>>
>>--
>>Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995

http://www.SteigerFamily.com
>>Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
>>Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
>>Remove "removethis" from address to reply
>>

>This is not someone being a cop, it's someone trying to give you (free!)
>a clue. I've pretty much quit reading your posts since I have NO idea
>what you're responding to most of the time. Guess I'll go back to ignoring
>your posts again since you are unreceptive to hints . . .

Not only that but she's such a baby about it. In the last subject she
started on the same topic -i.e., whining about people being "rude" for
pointing out that she was not communicating clearly- she stated that
if anyone doesn't like the way she posts then they should killfile
her. Yet she obviously gets off on the attention because she keeps
starting subjects sniveling about it.

Well, let's throw it back at her:

Sylvia, if you don't like people complaining about your posts then
killfile the offenders!!!

Pretty simple, isn't it?

Or do you prefer the attention you get when you start a whole subject
about yourself? Clearly if you keep posting about it, it is an
obvious cry for attention (as is the problem posting also, but that's
another story).

There are at least two options:
1. Take your own advice and killfile the people whose posts you don't
like, or
2. Continue to whine like a toddler when someone points out that your
posts are unclear.

Which will it be?

Sue(tm)
Curly Sue

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 19:45:30 GMT,
(j*ni p.) wrote:

>Hark! I heard
(Dan Abel) say:
>> In article >, "Vox Humana"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > No.

>> Yes.

>Maybe?

Add in the zest and gently fold in the flour.

Sue(tm)

Hahabogus

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

In Brandon with 2 2X4s and an axehandle.
Vox Humana

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
. 1...

That is now legal in all 50 states.

Michel Boucher

Dans un moment de folie, "Vox Humana" > écrivit:

So I said, Go get stuffed! Boy, did he look weird after that :-)

--

Il faudrait que tout le monde réclame
Auprès des autorités

Carla Bruni, «Tout le monde»
Dan Abel

In article >, "Vox Humana"
> wrote:

> "Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> . 1...
>
> That is now legal in all 50 states.

Is not.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:08:27 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 11:01:53 -0600, zxcvbob >
>wrote:
>
>>How would Politeness Man handle the situation?

>In part, just the way rfc'rs have. Kindly pointing out the customs of
>the country.

Yes, but he would've used his steel hanky too...

Bob

Mark Shaw

A.T. Hagan > wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:55:18 +0000 (UTC), Mark Shaw
> > wrote:

> >I don't think homeschoolers are all that interested in
> >being part of a community.

> You know many homeschoolers?

I'm posting from Texas. 'Nuff said.

--
Mark Shaw anti-spam: change 'bang' to 'not' to email me
"This time I think the Americans are serious. Bush is not like Clinton.
I think this is the end." - Uday Hussein, April 2003
A.T. Hagan

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 01:05:08 +0000 (UTC), Mark Shaw
> wrote:

>A.T. Hagan > wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:55:18 +0000 (UTC), Mark Shaw
>> > wrote:

>> >I don't think homeschoolers are all that interested in
>> >being part of a community.

>> You know many homeschoolers?

>I'm posting from Texas. 'Nuff said.

That's supposed to mean something?

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
Mark Shaw

A.T. Hagan > wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 01:05:08 +0000 (UTC), Mark Shaw
> > wrote:

> >> You know many homeschoolers?

> >I'm posting from Texas. 'Nuff said.

> That's supposed to mean something?

Heh. Don't tell me: you were homeschooled, right?

Seriously: academically, there's nothing wrong with homeschooling
(assming the parents don't use it as an excuse to ignore modern
biology and teach creation "science," which is unfortunately all
too often the case). Homeschooled kids can and do excel in many
areas. The problem is one of learning social skills; the cultural
tools we need to deal with each other. Some homeschoolers solve
this by getting together with other likeminded folks for various
activities, but I really can't imagine that such highly structured
events would be adequate.

This is my final word in this off-topic thread; if you don't agree
with me, fine; let me know by email.

--
Mark Shaw anti-spam: change 'bang' to 'not' to email me
"This time I think the Americans are serious. Bush is not like Clinton.
I think this is the end." - Uday Hussein, April 2003
Chris Lemon

"Goomba38" > wrote in message

> Damn.. you can see online I have that wetness problem when I cough and
> sneeze,huh? How embarrassing. LOL

"I have the most amazing condition! Every time I sneeze, I have an orgasm."

"That must be so embarassing! Are you taking anything for it?"

"Yes. Pepper."
--
Chris Lemon

http://fredsmythe.com