Old 27-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Kate ......

Default Can you help me identify old cookbook

I hope some of you can help me identify an old cookbook . I got it at a
yard sale . It has both front and back covers gone. The first page is
Tables . Last page index to shrimp, food value and cooking methods of.
On the introduction page it mentions ( in Bold type , large capital
letters ) Mrs., Homemaker, This Book is Written For You ....
Acknowledgments ... columnist, Drs. Poultry and live stock Board,
etc. ....Has the recipes in red . All else is in black print. Its a
large book. I think it may be from the forties. I sure have enjoyed
reading it. Hope someone can tell me more about it. Going through it , I
think of my mother in - laws old - The American Women Cook Book.
Thank you , kate

Old 01-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Sylvia

Hi, Kate. Doesn't look like you've gotten any replies. I'm not
familiar with the cookbook, but you might try to find a dealer or two
who specializes in old cookbooks and ask him/her for help. (I don't
know of anyone but I'm sure they're out there.)

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Old 01-11-2003, 10:41 AM
jmcquown

Sylvia wrote:
Hi, Kate. Doesn't look like you've gotten any replies. I'm not
familiar with the cookbook, but you might try to find a dealer or two
who specializes in old cookbooks and ask him/her for help. (I don't
know of anyone but I'm sure they're out there.)

Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to? Some of us have
no idea what you are talking about.

Jill

Old 01-11-2003, 01:32 PM
jmcquown

Kate ...... wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Sylvia wrote:
Hi, Kate. Doesn't look like you've gotten any replies.(snip)

Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to? Some of
us have no idea what you are talking about.

Jill

Sorry Jill ..... no come backs at all. I was surprised that yours
was here this morning. I do love to read these old cookbooks and was
happy to find this one . Though its in bad shape. Was wondering if
someone on the group might have one. hugs ... kate

I didn't see the original post so I don't know what cookbook you (or Sylvia)
were referring to. I, too, love old cookbooks... in fact I love old books,
period. Care to give me a clue? G

Jill

Old 03-11-2003, 02:44 AM
Sylvia

Default Yet ANOTHER rude self-appointed newsgroup policeperson

Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

Would you mind not telling others how to post?

Old 03-11-2003, 02:44 AM
Foghorn

In ,
Sylvia typed:

http://www.ah61.com/Quoting/whyquote.html

Old 03-11-2003, 04:44 AM

Default Yet ANOTHER rude self-appointed police person of newsgroup policepersons

In rec.food.cooking, Sylvia wrote:

Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

Would you mind not telling others how to post?

Would you mind not telling others to not tell other how not to post?
Old 03-11-2003, 04:55 AM
Sheryl Rosen

in article , Foghorn at
wrote on 11/2/03 8:44 PM:

In ,
Sylvia typed:
Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

Would you mind not telling others how to post?

http://www.ah61.com/Quoting/whyquote.html

the only way to get her to change her ways (Sylvia, that is, not quoting
context, and not attributing quotes when she does) is to treat her like a
troll and not respond to her blatherings.

If she sees that people really don't appreciate her style, and don't
understand what the hell she's talking about, she might (though it's
unlikely) change her style and adopt the conventions we all use to
communicate with clarity.

Bugging her about it is just feeding the troll.

I think I remember reading one of her posts suggesting people trim their
quotes to just the relevant parts. Maybe that's where this comes
from...she's trying to economize band width. But she takes it to the
extreme, to the point where communication suffers.

I added her to my killfile but it doesn't seem to be working. I'll have to
try again.

Old 03-11-2003, 05:04 AM
Deepak Saxena

In article ,
Sylvia wrote:

Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

Would you mind not telling others how to post?

This is a community. People expect you to behave a certain
way to make life easy for everyone. I've been using usenet
newsgroups since the early days (1990) and it's always
just been accepted practice to provide some contextual quotes.
It's much easier for people to follow discussions that way.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - - http://www.plexity.net

Old 03-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 01:44:13 GMT, Sylvia wrote:

Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

Would you mind not telling others how to post?

That looks rather like a request, than telling someone.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Jack Schidt®

"Naomi Darvell" wrote in message

Goofus says:

the only way to get her to change her ways (Sylvia, that is, not quoting
context, and not attributing quotes when she does) is to treat her like a
troll and not respond to her blatherings.

If she sees that people really don't appreciate her style, and don't
understand what the hell she's talking about, she might (though it's
unlikely) change her style and adopt the conventions we all use to
communicate with clarity.

Gallant says:

I don't think it ever hurts to set an example with politeness. If you

treat
people contemptuously and they don't know why, they're not likely to try

change to suit you.

Sorry, just back from the dentist. Huh? oh, no cavities.

Jack Highlights

Old 03-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Vox Humana

No.

Old 03-11-2003, 06:01 PM
zxcvbob

Jack Schidt® wrote:

"Naomi Darvell" wrote in message

Goofus says:

the only way to get her to change her ways (Sylvia, that is, not
quoting context, and not attributing quotes when she does) is to
treat her like a troll and not respond to her blatherings.

If she sees that people really don't appreciate her style, and
don't understand what the hell she's talking about, she might
(though it's unlikely) change her style and adopt the conventions
we all use to communicate with clarity.

Gallant says:

I don't think it ever hurts to set an example with politeness. If
you treat people contemptuously and they don't know why, they're
not likely to try to change to suit you.

Sorry, just back from the dentist. Huh? oh, no cavities.

Jack Highlights

How would Politeness Man handle the situation?

Bob Hanky

Old 03-11-2003, 07:16 PM
Donna Pattee

In article ,
Sylvia wrote:
Would you mind quoting all the posts you are replying to?

Would you mind not telling others how to post?

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com
Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
Remove "removethis" from address to reply

This is not someone being a cop, it's someone trying to give you (free!)
a clue. I've pretty much quit reading your posts since I have NO idea
what you're responding to most of the time. Guess I'll go back to ignoring
your posts again since you are unreceptive to hints . . .