Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default In Defense of HRH Barbara, Beet Queen . . .

Not to be confused with the novel by ND Native (and Native American)
Louise Erdrich

I love B-E-E-T-S in an way shape or form BUT once upon a long time
ago I bought a jar of home made b-e-e-t relish at a farmers' market,
got it home and opened it, it smelled wonderful. Took a big forkful.

BLEECCCH! It tasted like dirt. Nasty cook had either not washed the
beets or not peeled them. If Barb has ever eaten a dirty beet, she is
not responsible for her reaction. Took me at least three years before
I'd try anything beet again.

Besides, everyone is entitled to hate at least one thing for no reason
whatsoever.

Lynn in Fargo
Who promised to love, honor and never serve sauerkraut . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in message
> Not to be confused with the novel by ND Native (and Native American)
> Louise Erdrich
>
> I love B-E-E-T-S in an way shape or form BUT once upon a long time
> ago I bought a jar of home made b-e-e-t relish at a farmers' market,
> got it home and opened it, it smelled wonderful. Took a big forkful.
>
> BLEECCCH! It tasted like dirt. Nasty cook had either not washed the
> beets or not peeled them. If Barb has ever eaten a dirty beet, she is
> not responsible for her reaction. Took me at least three years before
> I'd try anything beet again.
>
> Besides, everyone is entitled to hate at least one thing for no reason
> whatsoever.

Like brussels sprouts?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 01 Jul 2008 08:31:29p, Felice told us...

> "Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in message
>> Not to be confused with the novel by ND Native (and Native American)
>> Louise Erdrich
>>
>> I love B-E-E-T-S in an way shape or form BUT once upon a long time
>> ago I bought a jar of home made b-e-e-t relish at a farmers' market,
>> got it home and opened it, it smelled wonderful. Took a big forkful.
>>
>> BLEECCCH! It tasted like dirt. Nasty cook had either not washed the
>> beets or not peeled them. If Barb has ever eaten a dirty beet, she is
>> not responsible for her reaction. Took me at least three years before
>> I'd try anything beet again.
>>
>> Besides, everyone is entitled to hate at least one thing for no reason
>> whatsoever.

> Like brussels sprouts?
>
> Felice

No, Felice, you are not allowed to have Brussels sprouts! The Belgium
police will lock you up. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 07(VII)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> I love B-E-E-T-S in an way shape or form BUT once upon a long time
> ago I bought a jar of home made b-e-e-t relish at a farmers' market,
> got it home and opened it, it smelled wonderful. Took a big forkful.
>
> BLEECCCH! It tasted like dirt.
> Lynn in Fargo
> Who promised to love, honor and never serve sauerkraut . . .

I rest my case.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Huffy and Bubbles Do France: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 03:41:48 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Tue 01 Jul 2008 08:31:29p, Felice told us...
>

>> "Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in message

<snip>

>>> Besides, everyone is entitled to hate at least one thing for no reason
>>> whatsoever.

>> Like brussels sprouts?
>>
>> Felice

>No, Felice, you are not allowed to have Brussels sprouts! The Belgium
>police will lock you up. :-)

She's obviously never roasted them with EVOO and garlic. Parmesan is
just frosting on the cake.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 01 Jul 2008 09:48:37p, sf told us...

> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 03:41:48 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tue 01 Jul 2008 08:31:29p, Felice told us...
>>

>>> "Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in message

> <snip>

>>> Like brussels sprouts?
>>>
>>> Felice

>>No, Felice, you are not allowed to have Brussels sprouts! The Belgium
>>police will lock you up. :-)

> She's obviously never roasted them with EVOO and garlic. Parmesan is
> just frosting on the cake.

That's certainly one of the bettetr preparations for them. Love 'em!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 07(VII)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 01 Jul 2008 09:48:37p, sf told us...
>
>> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 03:41:48 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:

>>> No, Felice, you are not allowed to have Brussels sprouts! The Belgium
>>> police will lock you up. :-)

>> She's obviously never roasted them with EVOO and garlic. Parmesan is
>> just frosting on the cake.

> That's certainly one of the bettetr preparations for them. Love 'em!

Trust me, even roasting them with EVOO and garlic is not enough for some
of us. And I really *want* to like them (they're so cute! they're so
healthy!) but I just don't.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 22:16:40 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 01 Jul 2008 09:48:37p, sf told us...
>>
>>> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 03:41:48 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>> She's obviously never roasted them with EVOO and garlic. Parmesan is
>>> just frosting on the cake.

>> That's certainly one of the bettetr preparations for them. Love 'em!

>Trust me, even roasting them with EVOO and garlic is not enough for some
>of us. And I really *want* to like them (they're so cute! they're so
>healthy!) but I just don't.

Heathen.... and I say that with all due respect.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[ Brussels sprouts roasted with EVOO and garlic ]

>> That's certainly one of the bettetr preparations for them. Love 'em!

>Trust me, even roasting them with EVOO and garlic is not enough for some
>of us. And I really *want* to like them (they're so cute! they're so
>healthy!) but I just don't.

I personally like to slice 'em in half, sautee them in olive oil
in a *hot* *stainless* *Calphalon* pan, and sprinkle them with
sea salt.

(This preparation did not succeed until I got hold of the Calphalon,
which made all difference.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message

> "Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in message
>> Not to be confused with the novel by ND Native (and Native American)
>> Louise Erdrich
>>
>> I love B-E-E-T-S in an way shape or form BUT once upon a long time
>> ago I bought a jar of home made b-e-e-t relish at a farmers' market,
>> got it home and opened it, it smelled wonderful. Took a big forkful.
>>
>> BLEECCCH! It tasted like dirt. Nasty cook had either not washed the
>> beets or not peeled them. If Barb has ever eaten a dirty beet, she is
>> not responsible for her reaction. Took me at least three years before
>> I'd try anything beet again.
>>
>> Besides, everyone is entitled to hate at least one thing for no reason
>> whatsoever.

> Like brussels sprouts?
>
> Felice

Try em this way:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Vegetables: Brussels Sprouts And Onions With Dill

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables

1 1/2 tblsp oil
6 small white onions, about 1 inch in diameter --
peeled & quartered
12 Brussels sprouts, trimmed -- quartered lengthwise
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon minced fresh dill & 2 sprigs for garnish

In a heavy 10 inch skillet, heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but
not smoking and saute onions and Brussel sprouts, stirring until onions
begin to turn golden, about 1 1/2 minutes.

Add water, sugar and salt & pepper to taste and cook, covered, over
moderately low heat until veggies are just tender, about 3 minutes. If any
liquid remains, boil mixture until nearly all liquid is evaporated and stir
in minced dill.

Garnish with dill sprigs.