Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Basil lemonade

In a bowl, bruise a medium bunch of basil with a 1/2 cup sugar with
your hands. Mix thoroughly, letting the leaves release their aroma in
the sugar. The sugar becomes basil sugar. Add 1/2 cup of fresh-
squeezed lemon juice, and 2 1/2 cups water. Stir, strain, serve in
tall glass over ice and decorate with a basil leaf. Optional: double
shot of absolute vodka.

I think club soda would be good instead of water, too.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
> In a bowl, bruise a medium bunch of basil with a 1/2 cup sugar with
> your hands. Mix thoroughly, letting the leaves release their aroma in
> the sugar. The sugar becomes basil sugar. Add 1/2 cup of fresh-
> squeezed lemon juice, and 2 1/2 cups water. Stir, strain, serve in
> tall glass over ice and decorate with a basil leaf. Optional: double
> shot of absolute vodka.
>
> I think club soda would be good instead of water, too.

This sounds really good. Is it your own recipe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:
> In a bowl, bruise a medium bunch of basil with a 1/2 cup sugar with
> your hands.

I do something like this with mint and barley water with the lemon
juice. I make it rather watery and not that sweet....a grown up drink.
Haven't tried the vodka.
blacksalt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> Karen wrote:
>> In a bowl, bruise a medium bunch of basil with a 1/2 cup sugar with
>> your hands.

> I do something like this with mint and barley water

Wow, barley water is an old home remedy, a "tonic" for stomach
and digestive troubles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 29, 7:09*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> This sounds really good. Is it your own recipe?

Not my recipe, but a friend of mine's. I recently was invited to
dinner where my friend made this while I was there and we had some. It
tasted sooo good!

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:48:26 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"kalanamak" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Karen wrote:
>>> In a bowl, bruise a medium bunch of basil with a 1/2 cup sugar with
>>> your hands.

>> I do something like this with mint and barley water

>Wow, barley water is an old home remedy, a "tonic" for stomach
>and digestive troubles.

She's a doctor in real life. It figures.

wb, tj! Long time no see.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kalanamak > wrote in news:4868405b$0$89875$815e3792
@news.qwest.net:

> Karen wrote:
>> In a bowl, bruise a medium bunch of basil with a 1/2 cup sugar with
>> your hands.

> I do something like this with mint and barley water with the lemon
> juice. I make it rather watery and not that sweet....a grown up drink.
> Haven't tried the vodka.
> blacksalt

How's the rug rat?

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" <.> wrote in message news
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:48:26 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"kalanamak" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I do something like this with mint and barley water

>>Wow, barley water is an old home remedy, a "tonic" for stomach
>>and digestive troubles.
>>

> She's a doctor in real life. It figures.
>
> wb, tj! Long time no see.

I did not know that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:
> On Jun 29, 7:09 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> This sounds really good. Is it your own recipe?

> Not my recipe, but a friend of mine's. I recently was invited to
> dinner where my friend made this while I was there and we had some. It
> tasted sooo good!
>
> Karen

I don't doubt that it tasted good, but it sounds strange to me.
I recently had what a friend called a "wonderful variant of a
mojito--made with basil instead of mint. It tasted terrible to
me and I couldn't finish it. I guess I am too used to basil being
a flavor for various tomato pasta and salad dishes, not drinks.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 1:17*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> I don't doubt that it tasted good, but it sounds strange to me.
> I recently had what a friend called a "wonderful variant of a
> mojito--made with basil instead of mint. *It tasted terrible to
> me and I couldn't finish it. *I guess I am too used to basil being
> a flavor for various tomato pasta and salad dishes, not drinks.

heheheh my friend who was bruising the sugar and basil with her hands
wished that she could take a bath in it and use the basil sugar as a
"sugar scrub."

But, if the mojito with basil sounds unappealing then I imagine that
the basil lemonade wouldn't appeal, either.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
digestive troubles.

> She's a doctor in real life. It figures.
>
> wb, tj! Long time no see.

It is the Brit throw-back in me, and I got the barely water idea from a
Delia Smith cookbook...Delia, the JOC of my 40's. I got the mint idea
from switchels

<paste>
> John Hinterberger's restaurant and food columns appear in The Seattle
> Times in Sunday's Pacific Magazine and Friday's Tempo.
>
> ----------------- HAYMAKER SWITCHEL -----------------
>
> 1/4 cup sugar
>
> 1/2 cup water
>
> 1/2 cup finely chopped mint leaves
>
> 1/2 cup finely chopped lemon balm leaves
>
> 1/4 cup lemon juice
>
> 1/4 cup orange juice 4 quarts ginger ale Mint leaves for garnish
>
> 1. Combine sugar and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil,
> stirring often to dissolve the sugar. Add chopped mint and lemon
> balm, then stir in the lemon juice and boil for 30 seconds. Turn off
> heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. 2. Stir in orange juice and
> strain through a fine sieve. Just before serving, mix with chilled
> ginger ale. Serve garnished with fresh mint leaves.
>
> (Hinterberger's historical aside: Switchels were colonial drinks,
> often made with vinegar, brown sugar, light molasses, grated ginger,
> cold water - and rum. If you want to put some punch into your
> haymaker, I suspect it's not only possible, but authentic.

and from sekanjabin

<paste>
> This is a delicious traditional Iranian summer drink. 3 kilos sugar -
> 7 lbs 2cups white vinegar bunch of mint 5-6 tall glasses of water
> METHOD: Mix sugar and water in saucepan. Boil well. Add mint. Boil 20
> minutes. Strain thorougly. Return to pot. Add vinegar. Boil 5-10
> minutes. Bottle. TO SERVE: Pour 1" of syrup into glass. Add plenty of
> ice. Add sprig of mint. Option: Add grated cucumger. Top up with
> water.

I've been thinking of them as the weather gets hot.

Kiddo is great, almost 6. We begin 1st grade with primers, pond life,
subtraction and the Babylonians on 1 August. I'm so excited.
blacksalt, aka tj the small

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kalanamak > wrote in news:4869a9ab$0$48225$815e3792
@news.qwest.net:

> Kiddo is great, almost 6. We begin 1st grade with primers, pond life,
> subtraction and the Babylonians on 1 August. I'm so excited.
> blacksalt, aka tj the small

Glad to hear that all are well.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:51:05 -0700, kalanamak >
wrote:

>Kiddo is great, almost 6. We begin 1st grade with primers, pond life,
>subtraction and the Babylonians on 1 August. I'm so excited.
>blacksalt, aka tj the small

yoo-hoo, blacksalt. don't be such a stranger.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:07:39 -0700 (PDT), Karen >
wrote:

>In a bowl, bruise a medium bunch of basil with a 1/2 cup sugar with
>your hands. Mix thoroughly, letting the leaves release their aroma in
>the sugar. The sugar becomes basil sugar. Add 1/2 cup of fresh-
>squeezed lemon juice, and 2 1/2 cups water. Stir, strain, serve in
>tall glass over ice and decorate with a basil leaf. Optional: double
>shot of absolute vodka.
>
>I think club soda would be good instead of water, too.
>
>Karen

I signed up for del.icio.us though Eating Well's email newsletter,
which seemed to be a Yahoo group, but turned out to be a mirror of
http://www.chow.com/recipes That's a good thing because I've never
understood the allure of chowhound before this.

Here are other lemonade recipes that I found with a simple search:
http://tinyurl.com/53y7wz
http://www.chow.com/search?search%5B...ecipe&x=28&y=4

Enjoy!

Mae West

REC: Aleppo Pepper and Basil Lemonade [email protected] General Cooking 4 21-07-2013 07:57 AM
Lemonade! Nancy Young General Cooking 41 18-06-2007 05:21 AM
Lemonade [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 27-03-2007 04:10 AM
Need HM Lemonade? Scott Lewis General Cooking 5 20-09-2006 04:17 PM
lemonade Momzilla Vegan 1 30-11-2004 07:26 PM