Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lemonade!

Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
a while:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116

I like it. Turns those lemon halves about inside out to extract
the juice. Made lemonade for the first time this year.

Of course, with the price of lemons, you'd better really want
some lemonade! I can get them by the bag for $2.99 at Acme,
buying them separately is pricey.

I see Stan's Weight Watchers Lemon Creme Pie in my near
future.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 9:11 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
> a while:
>
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116
>
> I like it. Turns those lemon halves about inside out to extract
> the juice. Made lemonade for the first time this year.

The Cuisinart Little Pro Plus, which comes with a juicer attachment,
is excellent for juicing citrus. I know by experience that it takes
approximately 77 average sized limes to make a gallon of juice. I did
it once in preparation for a long camping trip. I also made a gallon
of sugar syrup. We used those, plus tequila, water, and Grand Marnier
(or was it Cointreau) to mix up margs.
We also used them for non-alcoholic limeade.
We eat and drink well on camping excursions.

> nancy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BOBOBOnoBO®" > wrote

> On Jun 16, 9:11 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
>> a while:
>>
>> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116
>>
>> I like it. Turns those lemon halves about inside out to extract
>> the juice. Made lemonade for the first time this year.
>>

> The Cuisinart Little Pro Plus, which comes with a juicer attachment,
> is excellent for juicing citrus. I know by experience that it takes
> approximately 77 average sized limes to make a gallon of juice.

Oh, man, if I needed to squeeze that many lemons I'd get some
kind of processer, too.

> I did
> it once in preparation for a long camping trip. I also made a gallon
> of sugar syrup. We used those, plus tequila, water, and Grand Marnier
> (or was it Cointreau) to mix up margs.
> We also used them for non-alcoholic limeade.
> We eat and drink well on camping excursions.

I see that. Best part of camping, as I recall. Aside from sleeping
outside.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
> a while:

They are great. I have the lime one for squeezing key lime juice. Makes quick
work of it and keeps the seeds behind.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 9:55 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> Nancy Young said...
>
> > Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
> > a while:

> They are great. I have the lime one for squeezing key lime juice. Makes quick
> work of it and keeps the seeds behind.

I haven't seen a lime with seeds in several years, but that'd be handy
for lemons.
Oh, you mean those tiny key limes. The seeds in those are not as
abundant as lemon seeds. Does it filter out the seeds, but allow the
pulp to get through?

> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOBOBOnoBO® said...

> On Jun 16, 9:55 am, Andy <q> wrote:
>> Nancy Young said...
>>
>> > Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
>> > a while:

>> They are great. I have the lime one for squeezing key lime juice. Makes
>> quick work of it and keeps the seeds behind.

> I haven't seen a lime with seeds in several years, but that'd be handy
> for lemons.
> Oh, you mean those tiny key limes. The seeds in those are not as
> abundant as lemon seeds. Does it filter out the seeds, but allow the
> pulp to get through?
>>
>> Andy

> --Bryan

This kind of juicer doesn't let any pulp through, only the juice, in my
experience. It squeezes the fruit almost dry. I wouldn't make key lime pie
if I had to juice those things by hand.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
> a while:
>
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116
>
> I like it. Turns those lemon halves about inside out to extract
> the juice. Made lemonade for the first time this year.
>
> Of course, with the price of lemons, you'd better really want
> some lemonade! I can get them by the bag for $2.99 at Acme,
> buying them separately is pricey.
>
> I see Stan's Weight Watchers Lemon Creme Pie in my near
> future.
>
> nancy

I keep one of these squeezers at work. I squeeze one lemon, add some
sweetener, ice and water and it makes the best lemonade. If I have
some, I'll add a splash of pomegranate juice.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 10:11 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
> a while:
>
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=12939116>
> nancy

I got myself one, too, Nancy.
http://tinyurl.com/2dnywb
It is rather heavy duty, but DH will be doing the squeezing - he
likes to use a fork, but a fork never seems to get out all of the
juice. I got it for limes. They are hard little devils.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
> a while:
>
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116

I hope you used the 20%-off coupon

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Skyhooks" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
>> a while:
>>
>> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116

> I hope you used the 20%-off coupon

Haha! Yes, I did. Shuffled through the handful of them
I had in my car and picked a couple to actually use.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote

> On Jun 16, 10:11 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
>> a while:
>>
>> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=12939116>

> I got myself one, too, Nancy.
> http://tinyurl.com/2dnywb
> It is rather heavy duty, but DH will be doing the squeezing - he
> likes to use a fork, but a fork never seems to get out all of the
> juice. I got it for limes. They are hard little devils.

They are! Obviously this tool is only as good as the hinge.
We'll see. Luckily I have seen them used enough on tv that
I know better than to place the lemon half the wrong way.
It's counter-intuitive.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
> a while:
>
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116
>
> I like it. Turns those lemon halves about inside out to extract
> the juice. Made lemonade for the first time this year.
>
> Of course, with the price of lemons, you'd better really want
> some lemonade! I can get them by the bag for $2.99 at Acme,
> buying them separately is pricey.
>
> I see Stan's Weight Watchers Lemon Creme Pie in my near
> future.
>
> nancy

Cool tool! :-)

I generally ignore lemons until the are 3 to 5 for $1.00 but sounds like
you are getting a better deal!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
> a while:
>
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116
>
> I like it. Turns those lemon halves about inside out to extract
> the juice. Made lemonade for the first time this year.

It's one of my favorite gadgets. Have given them as gifts many times over.
People have told me afterwards, "I don't know how I lived without it!"

Segue

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
> a while:
>
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116
>
> I like it. Turns those lemon halves about inside out to extract
> the juice. Made lemonade for the first time this year.

I love it! Are these available off-line. I've never seen them here in
Brampton cooking stores. Don't mind ordering them on line though.

And..........where's the coupon?

Thanks Nancy.

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
> a while:
>
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116

Nice gadget

> I like it. Turns those lemon halves about inside out to extract
> the juice. Made lemonade for the first time this year.

I love lemonade. It gives John indigestion but hey, more for me! When we
go to the zoo there is always a stand selling lemonade snow-cones and I have
to have one. He gets some concoction that reminds me of Hawaiian Punch.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Man, I didn't look today, but I have been seeing that lemons
> are 2 for $1.49. Ouch.

Wow.
Want me to mail you some when they go on sale here?
I can fit a LOT into one of those $8.40 flat rate priority mail boxes!

Lemon juice freezes well, as does Lemon Zest.

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:11:38 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
>a while:
>
>http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116
>
>I like it. Turns those lemon halves about inside out to extract
>the juice. Made lemonade for the first time this year.
>
>Of course, with the price of lemons, you'd better really want
>some lemonade! I can get them by the bag for $2.99 at Acme,
>buying them separately is pricey.
>
>I see Stan's Weight Watchers Lemon Creme Pie in my near
>future.
>
>nancy

i've been using minute maid frozen lemon juice, $2.19 for 7.5 oz.,
which they say is the equivalent of seven lemons. (loose lemons re
currently fifty cents apiece, a bag of eight four dollars something.)
i think it's a good product, not like the admittedly vile realemon in
bottles.

<http://www.amazon.com/Minute-Maid-Premium-Lemon-Frozen/dp/B00032AM7Q>

always on hand, in the amount you need. lasts for eight weeks in the
refrigerator after defrosting, according to them, but i use it faster
just in bloody marys.

while we're almost on the subject, i've been buying nellie & joe's
famous key west lime juice also:

http://keylimejuice.com/

sixteen ounces for three dollars something. admittedly i've not made
pie with it (though there's a recipe on the bottle). it's also
squirted into bloody marys and in marinades, etc. haven't tried nuoc
mam, nuoc cham or the like with it yet. it's on the shelf with other
bottled juices at the grocery store. it just has a 'best by' date,
generally around six months hence.

i like them both because i'm lazy and they keep well.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:51:07 -0400, "elaine" >
wrote:

>"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
>> a while:
>>
>> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116
>>
>> I like it. Turns those lemon halves about inside out to extract
>> the juice. Made lemonade for the first time this year.

>I love it! Are these available off-line. I've never seen them here in
>Brampton cooking stores. Don't mind ordering them on line though.

I have one of those, that I got a year or so ago. Mine is made of
aluminum though. It has become of my most used tools.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i've been using minute maid frozen lemon juice, $2.19 for 7.5 oz.,
> which they say is the equivalent of seven lemons. (loose lemons re
> currently fifty cents apiece, a bag of eight four dollars something.)
> i think it's a good product, not like the admittedly vile realemon in
> bottles.

I've been using those bottles of frozen Minute Maid lemon juice (not
sure of price) for making lemonaid just so I can use Splenda in it. I
love the Minute Maid frozen lemonaid concentrate (which I always diluted
with about 2 extra cans of water) and I like to mix sweetea with half
lemonaid for "Sunshine Tea". Cutting down on the sugar is important
because I drink a LOT of iced tea and lemonaid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
>> a while:
>>
>> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116
>>
>> I like it. Turns those lemon halves about inside out to extract
>> the juice. Made lemonade for the first time this year.

> I love it! Are these available off-line. I've never seen them here in
> Brampton cooking stores. Don't mind ordering them on line though.
>
> And..........where's the coupon?

I'd give you a coupon but you can't use them online. Bed Bath & Beyond
does sell online. Williams-Sonoma has one with a lime attachment, but I
don't think that's at all necessary, but does look nice. A bit more, of
course.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:11:38 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>Of course, with the price of lemons, you'd better really want
>>some lemonade! I can get them by the bag for $2.99 at Acme,
>>buying them separately is pricey.

> i've been using minute maid frozen lemon juice, $2.19 for 7.5 oz.,
> which they say is the equivalent of seven lemons. (loose lemons re
> currently fifty cents apiece, a bag of eight four dollars something.)
> i think it's a good product, not like the admittedly vile realemon in
> bottles.

I didn't know it was there, I will certainly look for it now.

Thanks!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Skyhooks" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>>
>>> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for a while:
>>>
>>> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116

>> I hope you used the 20%-off coupon

> Haha! Yes, I did. Shuffled through the handful of them I had in my
> car and picked a couple to actually use.

I keep those in my car, too. I HATE it when I'm at the store and the B3
coupon is at home. And where I am, there's another similar chain
that takes B3 coupons, and B3 takes theirs.

<light bulb goes on>

Hey, that's where I should keep stuff like restaurant coupons, too. I
think I may be the last person in the world to get hip to that idea.
<embarrassed look>

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:10:53 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>> I love it! Are these available off-line. I've never seen them here in
>> Brampton cooking stores. Don't mind ordering them on line though.
>>
>> And..........where's the coupon?

>I'd give you a coupon but you can't use them online. Bed Bath & Beyond
>does sell online. Williams-Sonoma has one with a lime attachment, but I
>don't think that's at all necessary, but does look nice. A bit more, of
>course.
>
>nancy

I got mine at Surfas in Culver City, CA.

They have them online as well.

https://www.surfasonline.com/index.cfm

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Haha! Yes, I did. Shuffled through the handful of them I had in my
>> car and picked a couple to actually use.

> I keep those in my car, too. I HATE it when I'm at the store and the B3
> coupon is at home.

Argh, makes me nuts. Coupon's in the *other car* dammit.

> And where I am, there's another similar chain
> that takes B3 coupons, and B3 takes theirs.

I know, saves me a hassle figuring out whose coupon I have
with me that day.

> <light bulb goes on>
>
> Hey, that's where I should keep stuff like restaurant coupons, too. I
> think I may be the last person in the world to get hip to that idea.
> <embarrassed look>

I doubt it, though I think some people keep their Entertainment
Book in the car. Smart idea.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-16, Nancy Young > wrote:

> I like it. Turns those lemon halves about inside out to extract
> the juice. Made lemonade for the first time this year.

Yes, these are far and away the best design, IMNSHO. I've tried,
wooden twist models, pull lever models, even motorized spinning
models. But, this simple reverse method hand squeezer blows them all
away. Even better, it's faster to clean. I don't know if I'd want to
tackle the orange-sized model ...they make 'em.... but for lemons and
limes, there's no contest. I also need to get one of the nicer powder
coated models like in your link. My Mexican squeezo cruda looks like
it was cast on the beach by fugitive gypsies from melted down purloined
guard rails with a rusty nail for a hinge. I alwasy wonder how much
toxic waste it harbors.

nb

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
>> a while:
>>
>> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116

> I hope you used the 20%-off coupon
>
> Sky

And apparently even though they do have an expiration date on them, they
will still honor them after that date. I didn't know this until a few
months ago.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

Anyone here old enough to remember
CountryTime Lemonade mix
actually made a great lemonade ??

I fear they've "improved" the product
to the point where it now tastes like KoolAde.

<rj>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 9:11 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Picked up a lemon squeezer that I've had my eye on for
> a while:
>
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12939116
>
> I like it. Turns those lemon halves about inside out to extract
> the juice. Made lemonade for the first time this year.
>
> Of course, with the price of lemons, you'd better really want
> some lemonade! I can get them by the bag for $2.99 at Acme,
> buying them separately is pricey.
>
> I see Stan's Weight Watchers Lemon Creme Pie in my near
> future.
>
> nancy

Hi Nanvy:

I recently joined up with weight watchers after a few years, again.
They keep getting better and better. We also have our eye on that ww
Lemon Creme Pie. Sounds real yummy!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> > wrote in message
news
> Anyone here old enough to remember
> CountryTime Lemonade mix
> actually made a great lemonade ??
>
> I fear they've "improved" the product
> to the point where it now tastes like KoolAde.

Yes. And I wrote A Letter to the company about it and received a
thank you "free" coupon for more. Which part in my letter
explaining the lack of quality in the new product didn't they
understand?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:
> Anyone here old enough to remember
> CountryTime Lemonade mix
> actually made a great lemonade ??

No. In all my years, I've never had good Country Time Lemonade. And I
hate when people serve it to me after inviting me for "lemonade" because
I'm so disappointed.
God awful stuff. Only thing that rivals it for awful is that ghastly
"Russian Tea Mix" and homemade "instant hot chocolate" mixes people fob
off on others as "gifts." Dreadful stuff!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> <RJ> wrote:
>> Anyone here old enough to remember
>> CountryTime Lemonade mix actually made a great lemonade ??

> No. In all my years, I've never had good Country Time Lemonade. And I
> hate when people serve it to me after inviting me for "lemonade" because
> I'm so disappointed.
> God awful stuff. Only thing that rivals it for awful is that ghastly
> "Russian Tea Mix" and homemade "instant hot chocolate" mixes people fob
> off on others as "gifts." Dreadful stuff!

When I was a child, the Summer drink of choice was Himbeerwasser,
Raspberry Water, plain tap water with a few drops of Raspberry
syrup mixed into it. The syrup was home made, just squashed berries,
strained and the juice mixed with sugar and bottled. The water came
down from the surrounding mountains, nice and cool and we didn't add
ice. We had no refrigerator and chipping off small pieces of ice from
the large block in our ice box was not done.

The lemonade I drank was tap water and fresh lemon juice. I didn't like
sugar in it. It was delicious, as was the raspberry drink.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran wrote:

> When I was a child, the Summer drink of choice was Himbeerwasser,
> Raspberry Water, plain tap water with a few drops of Raspberry
> syrup mixed into it. The syrup was home made, just squashed berries,
> strained and the juice mixed with sugar and bottled. The water came
> down from the surrounding mountains, nice and cool and we didn't add
> ice. We had no refrigerator and chipping off small pieces of ice from
> the large block in our ice box was not done.
>
> The lemonade I drank was tap water and fresh lemon juice. I didn't like
> sugar in it. It was delicious, as was the raspberry drink.

That does sound delicious. Do you ever make any raspberry water nowadays?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> margaret suran wrote:
>
>> When I was a child, the Summer drink of choice was Himbeerwasser,
>> Raspberry Water, plain tap water with a few drops of Raspberry
>> syrup mixed into it. The syrup was home made, just squashed berries,
>> strained and the juice mixed with sugar and bottled. The water came down
>> from the surrounding mountains, nice and cool and we didn't add ice. We
>> had no refrigerator and chipping off small pieces of ice from the large
>> block in our ice box was not done.
>>
>> The lemonade I drank was tap water and fresh lemon juice. I didn't like
>> sugar in it. It was delicious, as was the raspberry drink.

> That does sound delicious. Do you ever make any raspberry water nowadays?

Margaret's story reminded me of a commercial I saw this morning.
If I have this right ... If you have a PUR faucet filter, there are fruit
flavor inserts you can put in there.

I have to go look, that makes no sense at all. Well, I didn't make it
up:

http://www.purflavoroptions.com/

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> No. In all my years, I've never had good Country Time Lemonade. And I
> hate when people serve it to me after inviting me for "lemonade" because
> I'm so disappointed.

Twenty years ago, I went salmon fishing on the Kanektok River in Alaska.
The entire area is what you'd call a 'dry county', but as long as you
smuggled in booze, nobody seemed to care. I think the natives depended
upon the fishermen for this.
Country Time Lemonade and vodka were the drink of choice in camp. There
was no ice, but the concoction did the job nicely. I look back at the
drink with fond memories... I've never tried Country Time since.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

>> The lemonade I drank was tap water and fresh lemon juice. I didn't
>> like sugar in it. It was delicious, as was the raspberry drink.

> That does sound delicious. Do you ever make any raspberry water nowadays?

Goomba, I never made raspberry syrup, our housekeeper made it. I never
tried to make it. The raspberries of those days, picked in the woods
near our summer house cannot be compared with today's cultivated berries
that are artificially ripened and don't have the same intense flavor.

When I first got married and started to keep house, someone gave me a
bottle of imported Raspberry syrup from Czechoslovakia. I used it with
water and with hot cereals and on top of ice cream and puddings. My
husband loved it. Once the bottle was empty, we never replaced it.

When we first moved into this apartment thirty years ago, someone else
gave me a bottle of imported Raspberry syrup. I never opened it.
Someone saw it in my bar a couple of years ago and asked whether she
could have it when I told her how long it had been in my possession,
without being used.

I gave it to her. Naturally. )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Margaret's story reminded me of a commercial I saw this morning.
> If I have this right ... If you have a PUR faucet filter, there are fruit
> flavor inserts you can put in there.
>
> I have to go look, that makes no sense at all. Well, I didn't make it
> up:
>
> http://www.purflavoroptions.com/
>
> nancy

That is really gross. Why not squeeze a few drops of fresh fruit juice
into the glass of water?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"margaret suran" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Margaret's story reminded me of a commercial I saw this morning.
>> If I have this right ... If you have a PUR faucet filter, there are fruit
>> flavor inserts you can put in there.
>>
>> I have to go look, that makes no sense at all. Well, I didn't make it
>> up:
>>
>> http://www.purflavoroptions.com/

> That is really gross. Why not squeeze a few drops of fresh fruit juice
> into the glass of water?

Heh, it's like the anti-Margaret's story. Not exactly raspberries fresh
picked
from the yard. Just squeeze the end of the faucet.

nancy