Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chocolate Chip Cookies

I used to live in Iowa and made the best chewy chocolate chip cookies.
Now I live in Florida and I haven't been able to make a chewy chocolate
chip cookie since I have been down here. So far it hasn't made any
difference what recipe I have used, but I'm willing to keep trying if
someone out there has a really good recipe. I don't want cakelike or
crunchy. If you have a good recipe and are willing to share it I would
appreciate it.

Thanks, Rae

Email okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rae wrote:

> I used to live in Iowa and made the best chewy chocolate chip cookies.
> Now I live in Florida and I haven't been able to make a chewy chocolate
> chip cookie since I have been down here. So far it hasn't made any
> difference what recipe I have used, but I'm willing to keep trying if
> someone out there has a really good recipe. I don't want cakelike or
> crunchy. If you have a good recipe and are willing to share it I would
> appreciate it.
>
> Thanks, Rae
>
> Email okay.

Isolate variables - altitude, humidity, ambient temperature, oven temp
calibration.

There was an episode of Good Eats on cookies with a good explanation of
the variables affecting cookie texture. You should be able to find the
transcripts on the goodeatsfanpage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rae" > wrote in message
> I used to live in Iowa and made the best chewy chocolate chip cookies.
> Now I live in Florida and I haven't been able to make a chewy chocolate
> chip cookie since I have been down here. So far it hasn't made any
> difference what recipe I have used, but I'm willing to keep trying if
> someone out there has a really good recipe. I don't want cakelike or
> crunchy. If you have a good recipe and are willing to share it I would
> appreciate it.
>
> Thanks, Rae
>
> Email okay.

==========
I have very good luck with this recipe, but I don't live in the South so I
don't know if that would make a difference or not..

Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 cup butter flavored Crisco (don't use butter or margarine)
1-1/4 cups sugar (I split the amount between white and light. brown sugars
(if you do not wish to do that then just use light brown sugar.
2 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon soda
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (or 1 cup chips and 1 cup pecans or
walnuts)

Heat oven to 375 deg.
Combine Crisco shortening, sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl
Beat on medium speed until creamy
Beat egg into the creamy mixture.
Combine the dry ingredients and mix into the creamy mixture until just
blended.
Add the 2 cups of chocolate chips or 1 cup chips and 1 cup nuts.
Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet 3 inches apart.
Bake at 8 minutes.
Cookies will appear moist (do not overbake)
Cool on baking sheet for two minutes before removing them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 12:29*pm, "Pete C." > wrote:

> Isolate variables - altitude, humidity, ambient temperature, oven temp
> calibration.
>
> There was an episode of Good Eats on cookies with a good explanation of
> the variables affecting cookie texture. You should be able to find the
> transcripts on the goodeatsfanpage.

I'd bet my sweet tooth on the flour you're using. You need a hard
wheat flour. Flours milled in and for the South often use soft wheat
(makes superior biscuits, spoonbreads, coffee cakes etc. ) Also
affected (as Pete says) by humidity etc. Has anybody ever tried to
use some corn syrup in place of some of the sugar - that might help
with the chewiness.
Lynn in Fargo
Likes 'em thin and crisp, with walnuts or pecans, please.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pfoley wrote:
> "Rae" > wrote in message
>> I used to live in Iowa and made the best chewy chocolate chip cookies.
>> Now I live in Florida and I haven't been able to make a chewy chocolate
>> chip cookie since I have been down here. So far it hasn't made any
>> difference what recipe I have used, but I'm willing to keep trying if
>> someone out there has a really good recipe. I don't want cakelike or
>> crunchy. If you have a good recipe and are willing to share it I would
>> appreciate it.
>>
>> Thanks, Rae
>>
>> Email okay.
>>

> ==========
> I have very good luck with this recipe, but I don't live in the South so I
> don't know if that would make a difference or not..
>
> Chocolate Chip Cookies
>
> 3/4 cup butter flavored Crisco (don't use butter or margarine)
> 1-1/4 cups sugar (I split the amount between white and light. brown sugars
> (if you do not wish to do that then just use light brown sugar.
> 2 Tablespoons milk
> 1 Tablespoon vanilla
> 1 egg
> 2 cups all purpose flour
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 3/4 teaspoon soda
> 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (or 1 cup chips and 1 cup pecans or
> walnuts)
>
> Heat oven to 375 deg.
> Combine Crisco shortening, sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl
> Beat on medium speed until creamy
> Beat egg into the creamy mixture.
> Combine the dry ingredients and mix into the creamy mixture until just
> blended.
> Add the 2 cups of chocolate chips or 1 cup chips and 1 cup nuts.
> Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet 3 inches apart.
> Bake at 8 minutes.
> Cookies will appear moist (do not overbake)
> Cool on baking sheet for two minutes before removing them.

These are mislabeled. They should be called Trashy Crisco Chocolate
Chip Cookies. Hey, there are lots of mobile homes in Florida, right?

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 6:56*pm, "pfoley" > wrote:
> "Rae" > wrote in message
>
> ...> I used to live in Iowa and made the best chewy chocolate chip cookies.
> > Now I live in Florida and I haven't been able to make a chewy chocolate
> > chip cookie since I have been down here. *So far it hasn't made any
> > difference what recipe I have used, but I'm willing to keep trying if
> > someone out there has a really good recipe. *I don't want cakelike or
> > crunchy. *If you have a good recipe and are willing to share it I would
> > appreciate it.

> > Thanks, *Rae

> > Email okay.

> ==========
> I have very good luck with this recipe, but I don't live in the South so I
> don't know if that would make a difference or not..
>
> Chocolate Chip Cookies
>
> 3/4 cup butter flavored Crisco (don't use butter or margarine)

That butter-flavor Crisco is evil.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:29:57 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Rae wrote:
>>
>> I used to live in Iowa and made the best chewy chocolate chip cookies.
>> Now I live in Florida and I haven't been able to make a chewy chocolate
>> chip cookie since I have been down here. So far it hasn't made any
>> difference what recipe I have used, but I'm willing to keep trying if
>> someone out there has a really good recipe. I don't want cakelike or
>> crunchy. If you have a good recipe and are willing to share it I would
>> appreciate it.
>>
>> Thanks, Rae
>>
>> Email okay.

>Isolate variables - altitude, humidity, ambient temperature, oven temp
>calibration.
>
>There was an episode of Good Eats on cookies with a good explanation of
>the variables affecting cookie texture. You should be able to find the
>transcripts on the goodeatsfanpage.

i was thinking humidity as well.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On Jun 22, 6:56 pm, "pfoley" > wrote:
> "Rae" > wrote in message
>
> ...> I used to live in

Iowa and made the best chewy chocolate chip cookies.
> > Now I live in Florida and I haven't been able to make a chewy chocolate
> > chip cookie since I have been down here. So far it hasn't made any
> > difference what recipe I have used, but I'm willing to keep trying if
> > someone out there has a really good recipe. I don't want cakelike or
> > crunchy. If you have a good recipe and are willing to share it I would
> > appreciate it.

> > Thanks, Rae

> > Email okay.

> I have very good luck with this recipe, but I don't live in the South so I
> don't know if that would make a difference or not..
>
> Chocolate Chip Cookies
>
> 3/4 cup butter flavored Crisco (don't use butter or margarine)

That butter-flavor Crisco is evil.

N.
Ha ha, I like to use Crisco in these cookies because it makes them plump and
tender. The butter makes them come out flat.