Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 'Messy' cooks...

ChattyCathy > wrote in
:

> While I was putting dinner on tonight it made me think about
> 'messy cooks'...
>
> I clean up as I go along, and so does DH - however, when Dad
> gets 'let loose' in the kitchen he seems to use every pot,
> pan, dish, knife, fork spoon in the place - in fact the
> kitchen usually looks like a 'war zone' to me by the time the
> food is ready. Even tho' he always 'washes up' afterwards, it
> still drives me nuts.
>
> So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along'
> type or the 'do it all in one go when you're finished' type?
> Or somewhere in between? Just wonderin'.

Clean up as I go. If I had a big kitchen, I would be a slob.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> While I was putting dinner on tonight it made me think about 'messy
> cooks'...
>
> I clean up as I go along, and so does DH - however, when Dad gets 'let
> loose' in the kitchen he seems to use every pot, pan, dish, knife, fork
> spoon in the place - in fact the kitchen usually looks like a 'war zone'
> to me by the time the food is ready. Even tho' he always 'washes up'
> afterwards, it still drives me nuts.
>
> So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
> 'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
> Just wonderin'.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Clean as I go. Having worked in restaurants and doing private catering,
there wasn't ever anyone else to clean up after me

> Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Let me start by saying that I have always had a dishwasher and, on
> occasion, two. I despise having to scour things, even the counters. If
> I'm doing any major cooking, an old sheet covers the floor, and thick
> towels bought for the purpose, cover the majority of counter space, or at
> least the area I'm working in. As I use something and know I'm done with
> it, it does immediately into the dishwasher. I also use the mise en place
> method of preparation, so little is left to chance or last minute effort
> apart from the final cooking. I use a large tray to hold all the
> implements I'll be using frequently. Cleanup is a breeze. The sheet and
> towels head for the washing machine, everything else goes in the
> dishwasher, and I'm left with very little except wiping down the sink and
> range. I'd much rather take great pains to prevent a mess than to clean
> one up.
> Wayne Boatwright

Honey, you are seriously wierd! I couldn't even get through one home meal
with that arrangement, let alone do any pro cooking-- I think it would be
illegal, anyway.

This sounds like using condoms on everything cookery-wise. As far as I go
is using surgical gloves for handling raw meat. Right off the top of my
head innumerable operations that wouldn't work come to mind, like rolling
pasta, rolling pastry, kneading.

Kitchen surfaces are made impermeable and easy to clean for a reason.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 20:48:17 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

> The message >
> from ChattyCathy > contains these words:
>

>> John the Virgo?

> My husband,as in address. Virgos tend to be very thorough and painstaking.

Ah, I see.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mise en place (WAS: 'Messy' cooks...)

"Christine Dabney" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> I have a drawer full of glass bowls of all sizes and some larger ones
> that double as glass salad bowls. I got most of those at Dollar Tree:
> they come in little packages of about 3-4/$1.
> Christine

We have here, and therefore I bet you have there, packages of plastic bowls
in different sizes, all in various pastel colors. They are throw away or
wash and reuse. I use those because of the weight and possibility of
breakage when carting my tools around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 04 Jun 2008 12:34:17a, Giusi told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> Let me start by saying that I have always had a dishwasher and, on
>> occasion, two. I despise having to scour things, even the counters.
>> If I'm doing any major cooking, an old sheet covers the floor, and
>> thick towels bought for the purpose, cover the majority of counter
>> space, or at least the area I'm working in. As I use something and
>> know I'm done with it, it does immediately into the dishwasher. I also
>> use the mise en place method of preparation, so little is left to
>> chance or last minute effort apart from the final cooking. I use a
>> large tray to hold all the implements I'll be using frequently.
>> Cleanup is a breeze. The sheet and towels head for the washing
>> machine, everything else goes in the dishwasher, and I'm left with very
>> little except wiping down the sink and range. I'd much rather take
>> great pains to prevent a mess than to clean one up.
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Honey, you are seriously wierd! I couldn't even get through one home
> meal with that arrangement, let alone do any pro cooking-- I think it
> would be illegal, anyway.

LOL! Yes, I am seriously wierd when it comes to preventing cleaning
problems. I couldn't agree more, but it works for me. It obviously
wouldn't work for pro cooking, but that's not what I do.

> This sounds like using condoms on everything cookery-wise. As far as I
> go is using surgical gloves for handling raw meat. Right off the top of
> my head innumerable operations that wouldn't work come to mind, like
> rolling pasta, rolling pastry, kneading.

I don't make homemade pasta, but I do make a lot of various pastries and
breads. In that event, I have one large work area that's uncovered for the
purpose of rolling pastry dough and kneading bread. I expect to have to
scrub the counter after those operations. I also use surgical gloves for
handling raw meat.

> Kitchen surfaces are made impermeable and easy to clean for a reason.

Absolutely true. I'd just rather throw a load of things in the washer than
scrub all the surfaces in the kitchen after cooking a major meal.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 06(VI)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > ha scritto

>> Kitchen surfaces are made impermeable and easy to clean for a reason.

> Absolutely true. I'd just rather throw a load of things in the washer
> than
> scrub all the surfaces in the kitchen after cooking a major meal.
> Wayne Boatwright

I don't have to scrub surfaces much. Dough sticks, but I use the dough
scraper and then wash with a cloth. The rest is pretty easy washup. I
work on lots of different surfaces in the various kitchens I find myself in,
and the only ones I find difficult are shiny stainless and black glass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> While I was putting dinner on tonight it made me think about 'messy
> cooks'...
> So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
> 'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
> Just wonderin'.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I don't clean as I go but I'm not a messy cook to start with. If I'm
cooking, I'm cooking. When I'm cleaning, I'm cleaning.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
> >
> > While I was putting dinner on tonight it made me think about
> > 'messy cooks'...

> > I clean up as I go along, and so does DH - however, when Dad
> > gets 'let loose' in the kitchen he seems to use every pot,
> > pan, dish, knife, fork spoon in the place - in fact the
> > kitchen usually looks like a 'war zone' to me by the time the
> > food is ready. Even tho' he always 'washes up' afterwards, it
> > still drives me nuts.

> > So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along'
> > type or the 'do it all in one go when you're finished' type?
> > Or somewhere in between? Just wonderin'.

> Clean up as I go. �If I had a big kitchen, I would be a slob.

Nope... if you're essentially neat that means you're organized... if
you had a larger kithen you'd become even more organized, therefore
you'd become an even neater cook.

People who cook slovenly are slobs in all aspects of their lives and
are notoriously disorganized in all aspects of their lives. The
disorganized slobs can no more suddenly become organized and neat than
you can suddenly become disorganized and a slob.

Crud outside the pot is highly indicative of crud inside the pot...
it's best not to eat food prepared in a messy kitchen.

It's real easy to tell who are the filthy dirty cooks from how they
don't trim and neaten their posts.... leopards don't change their
spots, once a slob always a slob.... there are very few posters here
who I'd want to eat from their kitchen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 10:37:17 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>

>> So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
>> 'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
>> Just wonderin'.

> You don't have a category for "leave it all in the
> sink until the next time you need it"?

<lol> Are you single by any chance, Mark?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:00:58 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Jun 3, 9:27*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> [snip[
>> So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
>> 'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
>> Just wonderin'.
>>

>I'd like to clean up as I go but I'm not compulsive about it. Except
>that I always clean and put away the cleaver or knife as soon as I'm
>through using it, and always clean the wok as soon as it's empty.
>Otherwise, I clean as necessary because the kitchen and work surfaces
>are small, and as possible in the time(s) available during the
>prepping and cooking. If the dish that the meat was marinating in
>before a stirfry is still sitting next to the stove at the end of the
>meal, that's okay. -aem

i was thinking about stir-fries since the top of the thread. there
just isn't time to clean as you go. i think i'm doing good if i clean
up after the meal.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 16:47:36 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 10:37:17 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>>

>>> So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
>>> 'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
>>> Just wonderin'.

>> You don't have a category for "leave it all in the
>> sink until the next time you need it"?

><lol> Are you single by any chance, Mark?

You don't have to be single to be a slob. I've run across a few
couples that have no problem with dishes stacked 2 feet tall in the
sink and on every inch of counter space. Cups, cans and bottles on
the tables in the living room and bedroom nightstands with mold in
them. Takeout boxes piled 3-4 feet high on the living room floor.
Many years ago I had a job that required going to several homes a day.
When I saw a woman put her husbands shit filled underwear in the
DISHWASHER I knew I needed to find another job.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 10:56:32 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> You don't have to be single to be a slob. I've run across a few
> couples that have no problem with dishes stacked 2 feet tall in the
> sink and on every inch of counter space. Cups, cans and bottles on
> the tables in the living room and bedroom nightstands with mold in
> them. Takeout boxes piled 3-4 feet high on the living room floor.
> Many years ago I had a job that required going to several homes a day.
> When I saw a woman put her husbands shit filled underwear in the
> DISHWASHER I knew I needed to find another job.

Gee, am I glad I have already eaten dinner - ewwwww!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote

> You don't have to be single to be a slob. I've run across a few
> couples that have no problem with dishes stacked 2 feet tall in the
> sink and on every inch of counter space. Cups, cans and bottles on
> the tables in the living room and bedroom nightstands with mold in
> them. Takeout boxes piled 3-4 feet high on the living room floor.
> Many years ago I had a job that required going to several homes a day.
> When I saw a woman put her husbands shit filled underwear in the
> DISHWASHER I knew I needed to find another job.

I really don't know how people get to that state. Even more
amazing to see cases where two people like that find each other.
It's sad. I used to work with a woman like that. She really didn't
get what was weird about the filth she lived in. I mean, she had
fleas! They finally had to fumigate her cube at work.

nancy (*not* a neatnik)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TrenchMouth > wrote:
> The message
> >
> from Sheldon > contains these words:
>
> > It's real easy to tell who are the filthy dirty cooks from how they
> > don't trim and neaten their posts....

> � So, what �about the cookery skills of �an author whose posts are
> filthy and tasteless?
>
> � �Janet

You obviously never learned to flush, lookit all that excretia you
left up there... Janet, you are a filthy dirty slob... and being in
the UK I'm positive you're a sewer mouth -- literally -- you've never
been to a dentist and you don't own a toothbrush... all UKers have
miserable maws, even your Queen Bitch has a rotten fetid mouth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
>

> � � Sheldon is a shit cook.
> � �Janet Hide

I cooked you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 04 Jun 2008 05:32:22a, Giusi told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > ha scritto
>
>>> Kitchen surfaces are made impermeable and easy to clean for a reason.

>> Absolutely true. I'd just rather throw a load of things in the washer
>> than scrub all the surfaces in the kitchen after cooking a major meal.
>> Wayne Boatwright

> I don't have to scrub surfaces much. Dough sticks, but I use the dough
> scraper and then wash with a cloth. The rest is pretty easy washup. I
> work on lots of different surfaces in the various kitchens I find myself
> in, and the only ones I find difficult are shiny stainless and black
> glass.

I would guess that your own cooking situation(s) is far different from
mine. I rarely cook for more than two people and it's always in the same
kitchen.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 06(VI)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
I try to make everybody's day a little
more surreal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 04 Jun 2008 08:44:35a, Janet Baraclough told us...

> The message
> >
> from Sheldon > contains these words:
>

>> It's real easy to tell who are the filthy dirty cooks from how they
>> don't trim and neaten their posts....

> So, what about the cookery skills of an author whose posts are
> filthy and tasteless?
>
> Janet

Considering the source, probably filthy and tasteless.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 06(VI)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
My attention isn't hard to get. It IS
hard to keep...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 10:37:17 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > ChattyCathy wrote:
> >>

> >> So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
> >> 'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
> >> Just wonderin'.

> > You don't have a category for "leave it all in the
> > sink until the next time you need it"?

> <lol> Are you single by any chance, Mark?

What's that got to do with anything?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
6.120:

> I would guess that your own cooking situation(s) is far different from
> mine. I rarely cook for more than two people and it's always in the
> same kitchen.

Yes, I too find that the neighbours get rather surprised, upset and snarly
if I break in and mess up their kitchen even if I cooked them supper.
Fisticuffs is not uncommonly offered.

I find it best to cook in your own kitchen and take the food over later.
Makes for happier campers all around.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in
:

> ChattyCathy wrote:

>> > You don't have a category for "leave it all in the
>> > sink until the next time you need it"?

>> <lol> Are you single by any chance, Mark?

> What's that got to do with anything?

I am single and I also follow Mark's stellar advice. I find it is the
green way...less water used make for a happier water bill for me and I
can also claim to be helping the envoiroment in my own way.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> > > You don't have a category for "leave it all in the
> > > sink until the next time you need it"?

> > <lol> Are you single by any chance, Mark?

> What's that got to do with anything?

Perhaps not much, perhaps a lot. I know one well balanced guy who is a very tidy
cook and seems well balanced, though he did not marry until he was over 40. Then
there are two others I know who are very anal, have to have everything in place
and everything their way. Read that as intolerant. One married at 38 and the
other is over 50 and still single. The latter is just too plain miserable to get
along with anyone. He once went to the Caribbean with a girlfriend and broke up
with her during the vacation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> 6.120:
>
>> I would guess that your own cooking situation(s) is far different
>> from mine. I rarely cook for more than two people and it's always
>> in the same kitchen.
>>

> Yes, I too find that the neighbours get rather surprised, upset and
> snarly if I break in and mess up their kitchen even if I cooked them
> supper. Fisticuffs is not uncommonly offered.
>
> I find it best to cook in your own kitchen and take the food over
> later. Makes for happier campers all around.

But Guisi is a chef and cooks for other people in their own kitchens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> I am single and I also follow Mark's stellar advice. I find it is the
> green way...less water used make for a happier water bill for me and I
> can also claim to be helping the envoiroment in my own way.

There ya go! We're GREEN!

Who says you have to do the dishes every day?
Or the laundry once a week?

I'll tell ya who! It's people who put on
a new set of underwear every day whether
they need to or not! They're the ones
who are destroying our planet!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 18:27:33 +0200, ChattyCathy
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>While I was putting dinner on tonight it made me think about 'messy
>cooks'...
>
>I clean up as I go along, and so does DH - however, when Dad gets 'let
>loose' in the kitchen he seems to use every pot, pan, dish, knife, fork
>spoon in the place - in fact the kitchen usually looks like a 'war zone'
>to me by the time the food is ready. Even tho' he always 'washes up'
>afterwards, it still drives me nuts.
>
>So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
>'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
>Just wonderin'.

This is going to sound absolutely hilarious, but if I don't need to
reuse a utensil, pot, whatever during the preparation of whatever it
is I'm preparing, I pretty much wait until the end for one big
cleaning push and for a strange/vain reason: having my nails go from
wet to dry and wet to dry and wet to dry ruins my manicure :-)

--

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

"Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"

-- W.C. Fields

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 15:29:27 -0600, Christine Dabney
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:22:11 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>wrote:
>

>>The idea of mise en place freaks my mom out a little bit. I like to do
>>vegetable prep early. So I'd be in the kitchen at 2PM and she kept saying,
>>"It's not dinner time yet, why are you doing that now?" LOL I find it
>>works better if I go ahead and (for example) mince the onion, dice the
>>tomatoes, grate the zucchini ahead of time. It's portioned, in the fridge
>>and ready to go. I assemble everything else I'll need by the stove/oven.
>>Then when it's time to cook, it's all there. It definitely makes cleanup
>>easier
>>
>>Jill
>>

>And it definitely saves on the angst of being in the middle of cooking
>a particular thing, and finding out you don't have such and such
>ingredient, or utensil, or pot, or whatever.

ITA with both the above, but Christine can testify that the DH is
*wonderful* about barrelling down the hill to the market when I
realize I'm missing some ingredient or other.

And I have found that, just as I have documents/cases/clients at work
that go rogue, there are some recipes that do the same. No matter how
often I've prepared them, no matter how well I think I've read the
recipe, I overlook some critical ingredient that has no substitute in
my kitchen and there's nothing for it but to send the always-patient
DH down the hill to Albertson's. He's also a clever enough lad to take
his cell phone. And I'm a clever enough lass to make sure the Beer
Fairy visits regularly.

--

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

"Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"

-- W.C. Fields
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Lou Decruss" > wrote
>
> > You don't have to be single to be a slob. *I've run across a few
> > couples that have no problem with dishes stacked 2 feet tall in the
> > sink and on every inch of counter space. *Cups, cans and bottles on
> > the tables in the living room and bedroom nightstands with mold in
> > them. *Takeout boxes piled 3-4 feet high on the living room floor.
> > Many years ago I had a job that required going to several homes a day.
> > When I saw a woman put her husbands shit filled underwear in the
> > DISHWASHER I knew I needed to find another job.

> I really don't know how people get to that state. *Even more
> amazing to see cases where two people like that find each other.
> It's sad. *I used to work with a woman like that. *She really didn't
> get what was weird about the filth she lived in. *I mean, she had
> fleas! *They finally had to fumigate her cube at work.

GAWD...!!!

Once had a neighbor who had an "apartment of filth". Three cats,
roaches crawling all over the cats' wet food dishes and EVERYWHERE in
fact, nauseating bathroom, etc. He was a biologist. When I complained
about his vermin problem to the management company (since it affected
me), he got all hostile about them coming into spray, thought that
putting Fuller's Earth around would take care of the roaches, and that
encouraging *spiders* in the place would also help...

He was highly intelligent, had Asperger's Syndrome, meaning no social
skills. I guess being a biologist and all he thought everything was
"relative", since everything is "organic" in nature...including the
vermin problem.

Mercifully he left soon after that...

Knew someone else, fairly "normal" - seeming. A friend of hers was
dragooned into taking care of her cat over xmas holiday. The gal's
apt. was a real filth hole, stuff stacked up, fridge used as a garbage
can, cat poo all over the place. The housesitter called up the gal's
sister and had her come up, the sitch wound up with the person getting
some psychiatric intervention...

Did the person not think that the filth in her apt. would NOT be
noticed by the housesitter...!!!??? Jeez...

Who knows...very puzzling.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 15:29:27 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:22:11 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>wrote:
>

>>The idea of mise en place freaks my mom out a little bit. I like to do
>>vegetable prep early. So I'd be in the kitchen at 2PM and she kept saying,
>>"It's not dinner time yet, why are you doing that now?" LOL I find it
>>works better if I go ahead and (for example) mince the onion, dice the
>>tomatoes, grate the zucchini ahead of time. It's portioned, in the fridge
>>and ready to go. I assemble everything else I'll need by the stove/oven.
>>Then when it's time to cook, it's all there. It definitely makes cleanup
>>easier
>>
>>Jill
>>

>And it definitely saves on the angst of being in the middle of cooking
>a particular thing, and finding out you don't have such and such
>ingredient, or utensil, or pot, or whatever.
>
>I have learned to read through a recipe thoroughly and go see if I
>have all the ingredients, before I even start. And then I start
>chopping, measuring, etc. I even measure out liquids, spices, dry
>ingredients... If I find that I have only a certain amount of an
>ingredient, I can decide beforehand if I want to go ahead with that
>particular recipe, or substitute, and not get in a panic in the middle
>of the recipe when I find that I am out of something or only have a
>tiny bit.
>
> I have a drawer full of glass bowls of all sizes and some larger ones
>that double as glass salad bowls. I got most of those at Dollar Tree:
>they come in little packages of about 3-4/$1.

True statement. I can't believe the equipment this woman has. She
could open two restaurants.
http://i30.tinypic.com/2lb7ux.jpg

>Anthony Bourdain, in his Les Halles Cookbook stresses this ad
>nauseam...the "meez", as he calls it.
>
>It has taken me a long time to get to this point, but it really pays
>off in cooking, whether it be a stirfry, or a stew, or baking, or some
>other type of cooking.
>
>And if it is done right, with everything measured out, and "in it's
>place", it does make cleanup a lot easier.

Yeah, let's talk measuring. ;-) Girl, you really do measure up.
http://i31.tinypic.com/2vt8imd.jpg

>Again, I don't always do it, but I find that my cooking goes much more
>smoothly if I do..and the place is neater. My goal is to do it every
>time, and to wipe down my space between each prep.
>
>Christine

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 6/1
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Greg Morrow" > wrote

>Nancy Young wrote:

>> I really don't know how people get to that state. Even more
>> amazing to see cases where two people like that find each other.
>> It's sad. I used to work with a woman like that. She really didn't
>> get what was weird about the filth she lived in. I mean, she had
>> fleas! They finally had to fumigate her cube at work.

>He was highly intelligent, had Asperger's Syndrome, meaning no social
>skills. I guess being a biologist and all he thought everything was
>"relative", since everything is "organic" in nature...including the
>vermin problem.

>Mercifully he left soon after that...

Ack. I'm sure not all the roaches followed.

>Knew someone else, fairly "normal" - seeming. A friend of hers was
>dragooned into taking care of her cat over xmas holiday. The gal's
>apt. was a real filth hole, stuff stacked up, fridge used as a garbage
>can, cat poo all over the place. The housesitter called up the gal's
>sister and had her come up, the sitch wound up with the person getting
>some psychiatric intervention...

>Did the person not think that the filth in her apt. would NOT be
>noticed by the housesitter...!!!??? Jeez...

We could be talking about the same person. She really had no
sense of shame, if that's the right word. No problem telling anyone
who'd listen how she let her cats and dogs go wherever they wanted
in the house, and if she found it, she'd clean it up ... maybe. And the
stories she'd tell would be even worse than that, far worse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Greg Morrow" > wrote
>
> >Nancy Young wrote:
> >> I really don't know how people get to that state. Even more
> >> amazing to see cases where two people like that find each other.
> >> It's sad. I used to work with a woman like that. She really didn't
> >> get what was weird about the filth she lived in. I mean, she had
> >> fleas! They finally had to fumigate her cube at work.

> >He was highly intelligent, had Asperger's Syndrome, meaning no social
> >skills. *I guess being a biologist and all he thought everything was
> >"relative", since everything is "organic" in nature...including the
> >vermin problem.
> >Mercifully he left soon after that...

> Ack. *I'm sure not all the roaches followed. *
>
> >Knew someone else, fairly "normal" - seeming. *A friend of hers was
> >dragooned into taking care of her cat over xmas holiday. *The gal's
> >apt. was a real filth hole, stuff stacked up, fridge used as a garbage
> >can, cat poo all over the place. *The housesitter called up the gal's
> >sister and had her come up, the sitch wound up with the person getting
> >some psychiatric intervention...
> >Did the person not think that the filth in her apt. would NOT be
> >noticed by the housesitter...!!!??? *Jeez...

> We could be talking about the same person. *She really had no
> sense of shame, if that's the right word. *No problem telling anyone
> who'd listen how she let her cats and dogs go wherever they wanted
> in the house, and if she found it, she'd clean it up ... maybe. *And the
> stories she'd tell would be even worse than that, far worse. *

One thing about living in a dense urban environment is that when you
get to a certain stage of cynicism in life you find yourself looking
at everyone and thinking, "I wonder if that person is REALLY
crazy...???",,,

'Course I know that no one looks at *me* like that, lol...

;-p

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> > wrote:
>
> > � � Sheldon is a shit cook.
> > � �Janet Hide

> I cooked you.

Madame BaraCOUGH aka Madame Pants - Without - Sin prolly gets her
water supply from the sewer mains emitting from O' Feel Up's caravan
aka trailor park...thus her rotten teeth - and *mind*...!!!

In any case we have some real "flowers" of English womanhood here...if
they were roses they'd be a bunch of dead thorns...

<chuckle>

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:00:58 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:
>
> >On Jun 3, 9:27*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> >> [snip[
> >> So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
> >> 'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
> >> Just wonderin'.
> >>

> >I'd like to clean up as I go but I'm not compulsive about it. Except
> >that I always clean and put away the cleaver or knife as soon as I'm
> >through using it, and always clean the wok as soon as it's empty.
> >Otherwise, I clean as necessary because the kitchen and work surfaces
> >are small, and as possible in the time(s) available during the
> >prepping and cooking. If the dish that the meat was marinating in
> >before a stirfry is still sitting next to the stove at the end of the
> >meal, that's okay. -aem

> i was thinking about stir-fries since the top of the thread. there
> just isn't time to clean as you go. i think i'm doing good if i clean
> up after the meal.

But that's the *perfect* dish for doing all the prep ahead of time; then
take just a minute more and clean all the cutting tools and surfaces,
while the oil is heating.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in :

> Or the laundry once a week?

My god you're a workaholic...think once a month....buy some damn clothes!
I got me one of those new fangled front loading washers....you and really
pack it full of stuff.(maybe 1 full load and one half load if you don't
count the bed linnens) Plus it too is low water usage....

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 04 Jun 2008 10:41:07p, hahabogus told us...

@sonic.net:

>> Or the laundry once a week?
>>

> My god you're a workaholic...think once a month....buy some damn clothes!
> I got me one of those new fangled front loading washers....you and really
> pack it full of stuff.(maybe 1 full load and one half load if you don't
> count the bed linnens) Plus it too is low water usage....

We have a top loader and usually have 3-4 loads per week for two people,
including the bed linens. If you overcrowd a top loader, it often leaves
clothes in a twisted mass full of wrinkles that the dryer doesn't always
take out. We also don't mix light and dark colored clothes. I suppose one
cram everything one owns into one load, but that isn't proper washing, even
in the "new fangled front loading washers".

As far as dishes, we generally have one load per day which includes dishes
for breakfast and dinner (we're not home at lunch time). The load is full,
so could not run over into the next day. In most cases, more water is
wasted by hand washing and rinsing dishes than using a dishwasher.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:00:52 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

<snip>
>> This is going to sound absolutely hilarious, but if I don't need to
>> reuse a utensil, pot, whatever during the preparation of whatever it
>> is I'm preparing, I pretty much wait until the end for one big
>> cleaning push and for a strange/vain reason: having my nails go from
>> wet to dry and wet to dry and wet to dry ruins my manicure :-)

>Actually, it doesn't sound weird at all! I don't have manicured nails, but
>constant washing makes my nails weak and brittle.
>
>My husband went out of town for a week just this morning and I'm going to
>use nothing but paper! (I'm cheating. Hey, if *he* can take a vacation, I
>can, too.)

I use a dish brush instead of a sponge so my hands don't have to be in
dishwater. They may get wet, but not soaked.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:08:46 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Time to make a BLT! (Crap, that means washing a pan.)

or you could bbq it....

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 19:35:23 +0100, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

>The message
>
>from Sheldon > contains these words:
>
>> TrenchMouth > wrote:
>> > The message
>> > >
>> > from Sheldon > contains these words:

>> > So, what about the cookery skills of an author whose posts are
>> > filthy and tasteless?
>> >
>> >Janet

>> You obviously never learned to flush, lookit all that excretia you
>> left up there... Janet, you are a filthy dirty slob... and being in
>> the UK I'm positive you're a sewer mouth -- literally -- you've never
>> been to a dentist and you don't own a toothbrush... all UKers have
>> miserable maws, even your Queen Bitch has a rotten fetid mouth.

> Sheldon is a shit cook. Q.E.D
>
> Janet

no. i heard he eats it raw.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 21:58:20 -0700, isw > wrote:

>In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:00:58 -0700 (PDT), aem >
>> wrote:

>> >I'd like to clean up as I go but I'm not compulsive about it. Except
>> >that I always clean and put away the cleaver or knife as soon as I'm
>> >through using it, and always clean the wok as soon as it's empty.
>> >Otherwise, I clean as necessary because the kitchen and work surfaces
>> >are small, and as possible in the time(s) available during the
>> >prepping and cooking. If the dish that the meat was marinating in
>> >before a stirfry is still sitting next to the stove at the end of the
>> >meal, that's okay. -aem

>> i was thinking about stir-fries since the top of the thread. there
>> just isn't time to clean as you go. i think i'm doing good if i clean
>> up after the meal.

>But that's the *perfect* dish for doing all the prep ahead of time; then
>take just a minute more and clean all the cutting tools and surfaces,
>while the oil is heating.
>
>Isaac

but many times the ingredients to be cooked are in little bowls.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:39:15 -0400, kilikini wrote:

> sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:08:46 -0400, "kilikini"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Time to make a BLT! (Crap, that means washing a pan.)

>> or you could bbq it....

> Allan took the lump charcoal with him. LOL. I could nuke or bake it,
> but it still means washing a dish. :~)

Good grief kili, yer slippin'. Put the bacon between two paper plates and
nuke it in the MW <veg>.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 12:07:40 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>ChattyCathy wrote:

>> > You don't have a category for "leave it all in the
>> > sink until the next time you need it"?

>> <lol> Are you single by any chance, Mark?

>What's that got to do with anything?

she's sizing you up, mark. look out!

your pal,
blake

Least messy way to prep a melon? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 199 02-08-2012 11:30 PM
(2008-06-04) 'Messy cooks' ChattyCathy General Cooking 8 05-06-2008 12:38 PM
messy corn starch Wayne Asian Cooking 2 07-10-2006 04:40 PM
Messy Pastries Jay P Francis Baking 5 17-03-2004 03:28 AM