Old 03-06-2008, 05:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 'Messy' cooks...

While I was putting dinner on tonight it made me think about 'messy
cooks'...

I clean up as I go along, and so does DH - however, when Dad gets 'let
loose' in the kitchen he seems to use every pot, pan, dish, knife, fork
spoon in the place - in fact the kitchen usually looks like a 'war zone'
to me by the time the food is ready. Even tho' he always 'washes up'
afterwards, it still drives me nuts.

So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
Just wonderin'.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Old 03-06-2008, 05:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 11:27*am, ChattyCathy wrote:
While I was putting dinner on tonight it made me think about 'messy
cooks'...

I clean up as I go along, and so does DH - however, when Dad gets 'let
loose' in the kitchen he seems to use every pot, pan, dish, knife, fork
spoon in the place - in fact the kitchen usually looks like a 'war zone'
to me by the time the food is ready. Even tho' he always 'washes up'
afterwards, it still drives me nuts.

So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
Just wonderin'.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

I clean up as I go - much less stuff goes in the dishwasher; my
workspace is clean, the sink is clean - what could be better? LOL.

N.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
While I was putting dinner on tonight it made me think about 'messy
cooks'...

I clean up as I go along, and so does DH - however, when Dad gets 'let
loose' in the kitchen he seems to use every pot, pan, dish, knife,
fork spoon in the place - in fact the kitchen usually looks like a
'war zone' to me by the time the food is ready. Even tho' he always
'washes up' afterwards, it still drives me nuts.

So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or
the 'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in
between? Just wonderin'.

I try to clean up as I go. Doesn't always work out that way! But it just
makes life a little easier, especially if I'm going to have to re-use that
knife, measuring cup/spoon, etc. This sort of thing really hits home if
you're on the road and staying in a hotel room with a kitchenette. They
supply the basics but unless you've brought a bunch of stuff with you, you
pretty much have to wash things as you use them.

Jill

Old 03-06-2008, 05:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" wrote in message
While I was putting dinner on tonight it made me think about 'messy
cooks'...

I clean up as I go along, and so does DH - however, when Dad gets 'let
loose' in the kitchen he seems to use every pot, pan, dish, knife, fork
spoon in the place - in fact the kitchen usually looks like a 'war zone'
to me by the time the food is ready. Even tho' he always 'washes up'
afterwards, it still drives me nuts.

So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
Just wonderin'.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Messy without question.

Clean as you go is a pain and a waste of time.

Rinse this, rinse that, wipe this wipe that, open the dishwasher, close the
dishwasher, go to the next step Dumb!

Now dealing with raw chicken, or other potential harmful areas, different
story.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Old 03-06-2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
While I was putting dinner on tonight it made me think about 'messy
cooks'...

I clean up as I go along, and so does DH - however, when Dad gets 'let
loose' in the kitchen he seems to use every pot, pan, dish, knife, fork
spoon in the place - in fact the kitchen usually looks like a 'war zone'
to me by the time the food is ready. Even tho' he always 'washes up'
afterwards, it still drives me nuts.

So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
Just wonderin'.

I clean as I go. I also need to start in a clean kitchen - so if there
are any dishes around - they need to be washed and put away before I
start. I might end up with a couple of dishes in the sink when I am done
- depending on what I have prepared. I usually leave them neatly piled
in the sink to do later.

The DH on the other hand is like a hurricane in the kitchen...everything
all over the place and dishes piled in an disorderly fashion - plates
piled on top of saucepans,etc. He drives me crazy. He does clean up
after himself - but unless I want to suffer a heart attack I try to stay
out of the kitchen when he is "working".

-Tracy

Old 03-06-2008, 05:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote in message
[Chaos v Order Cooking]
So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you
go along' type or the 'do it all in one go when you're
finished' type? Or somewhere in between?

Easy: Chaos. It drives SWMBO nuts.

The Ranger

Old 03-06-2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:36:21 -0700, "Dimitri"
wrote:

[...]

LOL. That sounds like me. I'm a kitchen whirlwind as far as mess.
But when there's chicken around I clean as I go. Usually Louise
follows me around cleaning when I cook. The few times she cooks I do
the same. Works for us.

Lou
Old 03-06-2008, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 3, 9:27*am, ChattyCathy wrote:
[snip[
So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
Just wonderin'.

I'd like to clean up as I go but I'm not compulsive about it. Except
that I always clean and put away the cleaver or knife as soon as I'm
through using it, and always clean the wok as soon as it's empty.
Otherwise, I clean as necessary because the kitchen and work surfaces
are small, and as possible in the time(s) available during the
prepping and cooking. If the dish that the meat was marinating in
before a stirfry is still sitting next to the stove at the end of the
meal, that's okay. -aem
Old 03-06-2008, 06:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
Just wonderin'.

You don't have a category for "leave it all in the
sink until the next time you need it"?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" wrote in message

[...]

My brother! Unfortunately, it always looks like a war zone after I "cook
big". shrug Ask me if I care. I'm the one who cleans up anyway.

snip

TammyM, aka Pigpen

Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
While I was putting dinner on tonight it made me think about 'messy
cooks'...

I clean up as I go along, and so does DH - however, when Dad gets 'let
loose' in the kitchen he seems to use every pot, pan, dish, knife, fork
spoon in the place - in fact the kitchen usually looks like a 'war zone'
to me by the time the food is ready. Even tho' he always 'washes up'
afterwards, it still drives me nuts.

So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
Just wonderin'.

Senor Excelente aka Neat Freak

Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 18:07:42 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from ChattyCathy contains these words:

So what kind of cook are you?

I go for the hand-grenade-went-off look.

Janet.

You and Dad should 'do lunch' (but not in my kitchen) veg

Old 03-06-2008, 07:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 12:27*pm, ChattyCathy wrote:
While I was putting dinner on tonight it made me think about 'messy
cooks'...

I clean up as I go along, and so does DH - however, when Dad gets 'let
loose' in the kitchen he seems to use every pot, pan, dish, knife, fork
spoon in the place - in fact the kitchen usually looks like a 'war zone'
to me by the time the food is ready. Even tho' he always 'washes up'
afterwards, it still drives me nuts.

So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
Just wonderin'.

At home I'm the clean-as-I-go type. I generally like to have
everything washed and put away by the time a meal is ready and I work
on the theory that one knife , one spoon and one cutting board is all
that is needed. I just wash them as I work my way through the
cooking.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 10:46:26 -0700, Serene Vannoy
wrote:

So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
Just wonderin'.

I'm mostly a disaster when I cook, but I try to be better about it. At
least I don't have huge piles of vegetable matter all over the floor
when I'm done, as my partner does. ;-)

Serene

I used to be a disaster type cook but when I learned how to mise en
place with all the little bowls, etc, I became much better and
cleaner. It became much easier to wipe down and clean up my spot
after I prepped each ingredient. Then by the time the final cooking
stage came along, I just had to add my ingredients and put the dishes
in the dishwasher.

Mind you, I am not totally at this cleaner place, but I have gotten a
LOT better!!

Christine
Old 03-06-2008, 07:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" ha scritto nel messaggio
While I was putting dinner on tonight it made me think about 'messy
cooks'...

I clean up as I go along, and so does DH - however, when Dad gets 'let
loose' in the kitchen he seems to use every pot, pan, dish, knife, fork
spoon in the place - in fact the kitchen usually looks like a 'war zone'
to me by the time the food is ready. Even tho' he always 'washes up'
afterwards, it still drives me nuts.

So what kind of cook are you? The 'clean up as you go along' type or the
'do it all in one go when you're finished' type? Or somewhere in between?
Just wonderin'.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

In between, because I prefer things orderly, but some things just won't
wait. I usually have a limited time to cook really elaborate (in terms of
courses) meals, so lots of times it is while they are eating that I can get
organized. That's what's great about help, when you can find it.

Least messy way to prep a melon? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 199 02-08-2012 11:30 PM
(2008-06-04) 'Messy cooks' ChattyCathy General Cooking 8 05-06-2008 12:38 PM
messy corn starch Wayne Asian Cooking 2 07-10-2006 04:40 PM
Messy Pastries Jay P Francis Baking 5 17-03-2004 03:28 AM