Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Garlic Substitute

I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I have
a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice and I
really don't want to get rid of her.

In most of the dishes that I cook that call for garlic there is only a small
amount (unless you count the 57 garlic clove chicken), she is able to
discern that there is garlic in it..

So rather than eliminate it, does anyone out there have a suggestion
(possibly a substitute)?

thanks
sharkman

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in message
. ..
>I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I have
>a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice and I
>really don't want to get rid of her.
>
> In most of the dishes that I cook that call for garlic there is only a
> small amount (unless you count the 57 garlic clove chicken), she is able
> to discern that there is garlic in it..
>
> So rather than eliminate it, does anyone out there have a suggestion
> (possibly a substitute)?

I don't get it. If she hates garlic, she is going to hate any reasonable
substitute, right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat said...

> " > wrote in message
> . ..
>>I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I
>>have a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice
>>and I really don't want to get rid of her.
>>
>> In most of the dishes that I cook that call for garlic there is only a
>> small amount (unless you count the 57 garlic clove chicken), she is
>> able to discern that there is garlic in it..
>>
>> So rather than eliminate it, does anyone out there have a suggestion
>> (possibly a substitute)?

cybercat,

Garlic breakfast, lunch and dinner kiss challenges!!! Best two out of three
days?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> So rather than eliminate it, does anyone out there have
> a suggestion (possibly a substitute)?

Chinese chives taste very much like garlic.
You aren't likely to find them outside of an
Oriental food store.

Asafoetida is reputed to taste a bit like garlic,
but I didn't notice that during my experiments.
I thought it smelled and tasted like crap.
Use only a small amount.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> cybercat said...
>

>> " > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>>I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I
>>>have a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice
>>>and I really don't want to get rid of her.
>>>
>>> In most of the dishes that I cook that call for garlic there is only a
>>> small amount (unless you count the 57 garlic clove chicken), she is
>>> able to discern that there is garlic in it..
>>>
>>> So rather than eliminate it, does anyone out there have a suggestion
>>> (possibly a substitute)?

> cybercat,
>
> Garlic breakfast, lunch and dinner kiss challenges!!! Best two out of
> three
> days?
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 May 2008 19:01:48 -0400, "
> wrote:

> I have
>a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice and I
>really don't want to get rid of her.

Choice time....since there is no substitute for garlic. Maybe a
gift certificate for a mouthwash at Walgreens?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in message
. ..
>I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I have
>a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice and I
>really don't want to get rid of her.

<snip>

Why? Chances are she'll never change & you'll be out of:

Aioli
A proper Caesar Salad
Good Pasta
Garlic Chicken
Many Thai dishes
You'll never enjoy the Gilroy Garlic Festival

Is she really worth all that?

LOL

Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> " > wrote in message
> . ..
>>I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I have
>>a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice and I
>>really don't want to get rid of her.

> <snip>
>
> Why? Chances are she'll never change & you'll be out of:
>
> Aioli
> A proper Caesar Salad
> Good Pasta
> Garlic Chicken
> Many Thai dishes
> You'll never enjoy the Gilroy Garlic Festival

Been to Gilroy? The year I was going to go I screwed up my back the week
before and couldn't. I haven't got around to making plans since then.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> Janet Baraclough >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> My friend has the same problem with her husband. He delights in
>> telling everybody he absolutely hates the vile stenchy stuff and
>> refuses pointblank to eat it, ever. He would sooner die than have that
>> furrin muck pass his lips, etc.
>>
>> Unbeknown to him, he has been eating garlic regularly and happily
>> for the last 30 + years.

> Uh-oh... you've gone and squealed. Now he'll have to hire a food taster

<volunteers> But I get a whole portion. Hey, you can't be too careful.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> Dimitri wrote:
>

>> " > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>>I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I
>>>have
>>>a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice and I
>>>really don't want to get rid of her.

>> <snip>
>>
>> Why? Chances are she'll never change & you'll be out of:
>>
>> Aioli
>> A proper Caesar Salad
>> Good Pasta
>> Garlic Chicken
>> Many Thai dishes
>> You'll never enjoy the Gilroy Garlic Festival

> Been to Gilroy? The year I was going to go I screwed up my back the week
> before and couldn't. I haven't got around to making plans since then.
>

> --
> Blinky

Been to and through Gilroy but never to the festival. Gilroy is the shortcut
from I-5 to the 101 Hwy 152 IIRC.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:51:35 -0400, T >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> Thanks for all the suggestions...
>> I'll try the shallot route.
>>

>The thing is that in my opionion shallots have a sweeter flavor.

Sweeter than what?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:52:36 -0400, T >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> The message >
>> from " > contains these words:
>>
>> > I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I have
>> > a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice and I
>> > really don't want to get rid of her.

>> My friend has the same problem with her husband. He delights in
>> telling everybody he absolutely hates the vile stenchy stuff and refuses
>> pointblank to eat it, ever. He would sooner die than have that furrin
>> muck pass his lips, etc.
>>
>> Unbeknown to him, he has been eating garlic regularly and happily
>> for the last 30 + years.
>>
>> Janet
>>

>That's too funny. I had a friend who couldn't abide onions. One day she
>was eating a past and meat sauce dish that had a few finely diced onions
>in it. Never even noticed.

Which just proves that if an ingredient picky people say they don't
like adds to the overall flavor of the dish, but doesn't assert
itself, the "haters" have nothing to complain about.... unless (of
course), they can *see* it. EGAD! LOL - poisoned. harharhar

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 08:41:14p, sf told us...

> On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:52:36 -0400, T >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
says...
>>> The message >
>>> from " > contains these
>>> words:

>>> My friend has the same problem with her husband. He delights in
>>> telling everybody he absolutely hates the vile stenchy stuff and
>>> refuses pointblank to eat it, ever. He would sooner die than have that
>>> furrin muck pass his lips, etc.
>>>
>>> Unbeknown to him, he has been eating garlic regularly and happily
>>> for the last 30 + years.
>>>
>>> Janet
>>>

>>That's too funny. I had a friend who couldn't abide onions. One day she
>>was eating a past and meat sauce dish that had a few finely diced onions
>> in it. Never even noticed.

> Which just proves that if an ingredient picky people say they don't
> like adds to the overall flavor of the dish, but doesn't assert
> itself, the "haters" have nothing to complain about.... unless (of
> course), they can *see* it. EGAD! LOL - poisoned. harharhar

That's the problem I have with David. He *will* find it and see it. When
I make a dish that absolutely requires a significant amount of onion, I
brown it and then puree it with some of the liquid from the recipe. The
flavor is there, but not the pieces. Me, I love the pieces.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
says...
> On Wed 28 May 2008 08:41:14p, sf told us...
>
> > On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:52:36 -0400, T >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>In article >,
> says...

> >>That's too funny. I had a friend who couldn't abide onions. One day she
> >>was eating a past and meat sauce dish that had a few finely diced onions
> >> in it. Never even noticed.

> > Which just proves that if an ingredient picky people say they don't
> > like adds to the overall flavor of the dish, but doesn't assert
> > itself, the "haters" have nothing to complain about.... unless (of
> > course), they can *see* it. EGAD! LOL - poisoned. harharhar
> >

> That's the problem I have with David. He *will* find it and see it. When
> I make a dish that absolutely requires a significant amount of onion, I
> brown it and then puree it with some of the liquid from the recipe. The
> flavor is there, but not the pieces. Me, I love the pieces.

Luckily I don't have any really serious food allergies or digestive
problems. I don't get heartburn, and indigestion is such a rare event
that it might only happen once every few years.

That's one thing about the Italian side of my family, we all got the
cast iron stomachs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in message
. ..
>I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I have
>a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice and I
>really don't want to get rid of her.
>
> In most of the dishes that I cook that call for garlic there is only a
> small amount (unless you count the 57 garlic clove chicken), she is able
> to discern that there is garlic in it..
>
> So rather than eliminate it, does anyone out there have a suggestion
> (possibly a substitute)?
>
> thanks
> sharkman
>
> --

How about garlic chives? Milder taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in message
. ..
>I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I have
>a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice and I
>really don't want to get rid of her.
>
> In most of the dishes that I cook that call for garlic there is only a
> small amount (unless you count the 57 garlic clove chicken), she is able
> to discern that there is garlic in it..
>
> So rather than eliminate it, does anyone out there have a suggestion
> (possibly a substitute)?
>
> thanks
> sharkman
>
> --

Elephant garlic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 27, 7:01 pm, " >
wrote:
> I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I have
> a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice and I
> really don't want to get rid of her.
>
> In most of the dishes that I cook that call for garlic there is only a small
> amount (unless you count the 57 garlic clove chicken), she is able to
> discern that there is garlic in it..
>
> So rather than eliminate it, does anyone out there have a suggestion
> (possibly a substitute)?
>
> thanks
> sharkman
>
> --

Asofedeta/hing. It's what the Subcontinent uses when they want to
leave out the alliums.

maxine in ri
hesso

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in message
. ..
> I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I

have
> a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice and I
> really don't want to get rid of her.
>
> In most of the dishes that I cook that call for garlic there is only a

small
> amount (unless you count the 57 garlic clove chicken), she is able to
> discern that there is garlic in it..
>
> So rather than eliminate it, does anyone out there have a suggestion
> (possibly a substitute)?
>
> thanks
> sharkman

Dump the chick. She needs a boyfriend that also can't stand garlic and they
will live happily ever after. That's not in the cards for you. Garlic
today, what tomorrow?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine wrote on Fri, 30 May 2008 20:54:51 -0700 (PDT):

> On May 27, 7:01 pm, "
> > wrote:
>> I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this
>> problem.. I have a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell
>> of that wonderful spice and I really don't want to get rid of
>> her.
>>
>> In most of the dishes that I cook that call for garlic there
>> is only a small amount (unless you count the 57 garlic clove
>> chicken), she is able to discern that there is garlic in it..
>>
>> So rather than eliminate it, does anyone out there have a
>> suggestion (possibly a substitute)?
>>
>> thanks
>> sharkman
>>
>> --

> Asofedeta/hing. It's what the Subcontinent uses when they
> want to leave out the alliums.

As I have already said, it's an alternative but not a
substitute, IMHO. The flavors bear little resemblence to each
other tho' Gernot Katzer does say "Very strong smell, rather
repugnant, remotely similar to (not altogether fresh) garlic."

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
" > wrote:

> I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I have
> a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice and I
> really don't want to get rid of her.
>
> In most of the dishes that I cook that call for garlic there is only a small
> amount (unless you count the 57 garlic clove chicken), she is able to
> discern that there is garlic in it..
>
> So rather than eliminate it, does anyone out there have a suggestion
> (possibly a substitute)?

This makes no sense. If your girlfriend doesn't like garlic, why in the
world would she like a garlic substitute? Just leave the garlic out or
make recipes that don't call for garlic when you cook for her.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stanley Horwitz wrote:
> In article >,
> " > wrote:
>
>> I know.. there is no substitute for garlic but I have this problem.. I have
>> a girlfriend that hates the taste and smell of that wonderful spice and I
>> really don't want to get rid of her.
>>
>> In most of the dishes that I cook that call for garlic there is only a small
>> amount (unless you count the 57 garlic clove chicken), she is able to
>> discern that there is garlic in it..
>>
>> So rather than eliminate it, does anyone out there have a suggestion
>> (possibly a substitute)?

> This makes no sense. If your girlfriend doesn't like garlic, why in the
> world would she like a garlic substitute? Just leave the garlic out or
> make recipes that don't call for garlic when you cook for her.

My first wife hated garlic, and could taste even tiny amounts in
anything. I just left it out of anything we'd be sharing. After four
years with her, I found my tolerance for the stuff had changed, too -- I
use less garlic now than I did before I met her.

Serene