BookWight

Default Garlic Spread --> Garlic Bread?

Hi -
I asked a close friend to pick up some Garlic Breadcrumbs at the store
while he was there; apparently suffering a major brainfart, he picked up
some garlic spread instead. Can I make garlic bread with this? Do i
spread it thin or slather it on?
Doug Kanter

"BookWight" > wrote in message
4...
> Hi -
> I asked a close friend to pick up some Garlic Breadcrumbs at the store
> while he was there; apparently suffering a major brainfart, he picked up
> some garlic spread instead. Can I make garlic bread with this? Do i
> spread it thin or slather it on?

Seriously?????

BookWight

Wandering along the edges of rec.food.cooking, I found the following bit of
electronic flotsam written by "Doug Kanter" > in
:

> "BookWight" > wrote in message
> 4...
>> Hi -
>> I asked a close friend to pick up some Garlic Breadcrumbs at the store
>> while he was there; apparently suffering a major brainfart, he picked up
>> some garlic spread instead. Can I make garlic bread with this? Do i
>> spread it thin or slather it on?

> Seriously?????

Yes, seriously

Hahabogus

BookWight > wrote in
4:

> Wandering along the edges of rec.food.cooking, I found the following
> bit of electronic flotsam written by "Doug Kanter"
> > in :
>

> > "BookWight" > wrote in message
> > 4...
> >> Hi -
> >> I asked a close friend to pick up some Garlic Breadcrumbs at the
> >> store while he was there; apparently suffering a major brainfart,
> >> he picked up some garlic spread instead. Can I make garlic bread
> >> with this? Do i spread it thin or slather it on?

> > Seriously?????
> >

> Yes, seriously

Taste the spread...apply accordingly to slices of bread...broil the bread
slices till they are the colour you like after putting the spread on. I
like a good rye bread for this. Sometimes a sprinkling of strongish
cheese, say shredded old cheddar, is nice.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
A.C.

BookWight

> Hi -
> I asked a close friend to pick up some Garlic Breadcrumbs at the store
> while he was there; apparently suffering a major brainfart, he picked up
> some garlic spread instead. Can I make garlic bread with this? Do i
> spread it thin or slather it on?

i would think it depends on what the garlic spread has in it. of course real
garlic bread is the best way to go. get some hole cloves of garlic, put them
in a foil pouch with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. stick them in the
oven (a toaster oven is great for this) at 350f and cook them until nicely
softened. (about 30 mins) take the cooled softened garlic and using a fork,
smash it thoroughly with some butter. smear this ambrosia on your favorite
bread and toast in the oven until lightly browned. enjoy! you can even
sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on it before toasting to jazz it up a bit.
actually, i ususally roast a whole head of garlic til softened and smash it
up with a whole stick of butter and keep it in the fridge. it's great on
nearly anything that butter goes on. i even cook eggs in it.

chibiabos

In article >, Hahabogus
> wrote:

> BookWight > wrote in
> 4:
>
> > Wandering along the edges of rec.food.cooking, I found the following
> > bit of electronic flotsam written by "Doug Kanter"
> > > in :
> >

> > > "BookWight" > wrote in message
> > > 4...
> > >
> > > Seriously?????
> > >

> > Yes, seriously
> >

> Taste the spread...apply accordingly to slices of bread...broil the bread
> slices till they are the colour you like after putting the spread on. I
> like a good rye bread for this. Sometimes a sprinkling of strongish
> cheese, say shredded old cheddar, is nice.

I've been to Gilroy a few times. (Google is your friend.)

Toast your bread dry until it's the desired doneness, then add the
spread to the toasted bread, not vice-versa.

You can make a great garlic-butter spread with the raw garlic. This
mixture is even better on toasted bread. Or use a good olive oil if you
avoid butter.

-Frank
Doug Kanter

"BookWight" > wrote in message
4...
> Wandering along the edges of rec.food.cooking, I found the following bit
> of
> electronic flotsam written by "Doug Kanter" > in
> :
>

>> "BookWight" > wrote in message
>> 4...
>>> Hi -
>>> I asked a close friend to pick up some Garlic Breadcrumbs at the store
>>> while he was there; apparently suffering a major brainfart, he picked up
>>> some garlic spread instead. Can I make garlic bread with this? Do i
>>> spread it thin or slather it on?

>> Seriously?????
>>

> Yes, seriously

Not a single clue on the container?

Stan Horwitz

In article > ,
BookWight > wrote:

> Hi -
> I asked a close friend to pick up some Garlic Breadcrumbs at the store
> while he was there; apparently suffering a major brainfart, he picked up
> some garlic spread instead. Can I make garlic bread with this? Do i
> spread it thin or slather it on?

I don't see why not, but cooking involves experimentation. Take a slice
of French bread, and try it. Only you will know if the result is
pleasing to your pallet.
Doug Kanter

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> BookWight > wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>> I asked a close friend to pick up some Garlic Breadcrumbs at the store
>> while he was there; apparently suffering a major brainfart, he picked up
>> some garlic spread instead. Can I make garlic bread with this? Do i
>> spread it thin or slather it on?

> I don't see why not, but cooking involves experimentation. Take a slice
> of French bread, and try it. Only you will know if the result is
> pleasing to your pallet.

But Stan...what if he doesn't like it? What then? You can't go around
telling people to experiment like that. This is not a game. Next, you'll
suggest he cut his toast in half and put a different flavor jelly on each
piece. Get a grip, will ya?

Melba's Jammin'

In article > , BookWight
> wrote:

> Hi -
> I asked a close friend to pick up some Garlic Breadcrumbs at the store
> while he was there; apparently suffering a major brainfart, he picked up
> some garlic spread instead. Can I make garlic bread with this?

I'll bet you can.

> Do i spread it thin or slather it on?

Both. Do it one way on one slice of bread, do it the other way on
another slice. See which you prefer. You can do this. It's not rocket
science.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Stan Horwitz
> wrote:

> In article > ,
> BookWight > wrote:
>
> > Hi -
> > I asked a close friend to pick up some Garlic Breadcrumbs at the store
> > while he was there; apparently suffering a major brainfart, he picked
> > up
> > some garlic spread instead. Can I make garlic bread with this? Do i
> > spread it thin or slather it on?

> I don't see why not, but cooking involves experimentation. Take a slice
> of French bread, and try it. Only you will know if the result is
> pleasing to your pallet.

Stanley!! It's palate, not pallet! (That's something else entirely.)
Oymumblemumblekidsmumblemumbleschoolsmumblemumble.
8^0)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
BookWight

Wandering along the edges of rec.food.cooking, I found the following bit
of electronic flotsam written by "Doug Kanter"
> in :

>>> "BookWight" > wrote in message
>>> 4...
>>>
>>> Seriously?????
>>>

>> Yes, seriously
>>

> Not a single clue on the container?

I honestly hadn't glanced at the container because it wasn't what I wanted.
BookWight

Wandering along the edges of rec.food.cooking, I found the following bit
of electronic flotsam written by "Doug Kanter"
> in :

> "Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
>> In article > ,
>> BookWight > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi -
>>> I asked a close friend to pick up some Garlic Breadcrumbs at the
>>> store while he was there; apparently suffering a major brainfart, he
>>> picked up some garlic spread instead. Can I make garlic bread with
>>> this? Do i spread it thin or slather it on?

>> I don't see why not, but cooking involves experimentation. Take a
>> slice of French bread, and try it. Only you will know if the result
>> is pleasing to your pallet.

> But Stan...what if he doesn't like it? What then? You can't go around
> telling people to experiment like that. This is not a game. Next,
> you'll suggest he cut his toast in half and put a different flavor
> jelly on each piece. Get a grip, will ya?

Hey! That'll work - I have some strawberry jam and some blackberry jam!!
Yum! Got any other tricks I can try?

Doug Kanter

"BookWight" > wrote in message
4...
> Wandering along the edges of rec.food.cooking, I found the following bit
> of electronic flotsam written by "Doug Kanter"
> > in :
>
>> "Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message

>>> I don't see why not, but cooking involves experimentation. Take a
>>> slice of French bread, and try it. Only you will know if the result
>>> is pleasing to your pallet.

>> But Stan...what if he doesn't like it? What then? You can't go around
>> telling people to experiment like that. This is not a game. Next,
>> you'll suggest he cut his toast in half and put a different flavor
>> jelly on each piece. Get a grip, will ya?

> Hey! That'll work - I have some strawberry jam and some blackberry jam!!
> Yum! Got any other tricks I can try?

Definitely. Take alternating bites out of each piece. But, don't tell the
neighbors.

serene

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:58:50 -0800, BookWight wrote
(in article > ):

> Hi -
> I asked a close friend to pick up some Garlic Breadcrumbs at the store
> while he was there; apparently suffering a major brainfart, he picked up
> some garlic spread instead. Can I make garlic bread with this? Do i
> spread it thin or slather it on?

The way we did it at Pizza Hut (yeah, I know, but it's worked for me
well in the 20 years since I was a cook/waitress there) is to spread
it on thinly on both sides of the bread, and then sprinkle the tops
before baking with "fairy dust", which is a mixture of parmesan
cheese and a little oregano. Before the fairy dust, you can add
shredded mozzarella for cheese bread.

serene