Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default fresh salsa

I made some using things I had on hand.

Amounts are approximates, I don't write these things down ;-)

-6-8 large ripe tomatoes, diced
-zest and juice of 2 limes (I cheated and added a touch more bottled lime
juice, I like it)
-1 medium red onion, chopped
-4 jalapenos, chopped
-1 habanero, chopped fine
-2 cobs worth of corn. I didn't measure how much came off the corn, maybe 1
cup each?
-1 small can of tomato paste
-fist full of cilantro, chopped
-large splash of olive oil
-spoonfull or two of ground cumin
-pinch or two of kosher salt

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 2:11*pm, "Peter" > wrote:
> I made some using things I had on hand.
>
> Amounts are approximates, I don't write these things down ;-)
>
> -6-8 large ripe tomatoes, diced
> -zest and juice of 2 limes (I cheated and added a touch more bottled lime
> juice, I like it)
> -1 medium red onion, chopped
> -4 jalapenos, chopped
> -1 habanero, chopped fine
> -2 cobs worth of corn. *I didn't measure how much came off the corn, maybe 1
> cup each?
> -1 small can of tomato paste
> -fist full of cilantro, chopped
> -large splash of olive oil
> -spoonfull or two of ground cumin
> -pinch or two of kosher salt

That looks awesome. I'll get the tequila and make some tortilla chips
and be right over.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter" > wrote in message
>I made some using things I had on hand.
>
> Amounts are approximates, I don't write these things down ;-)
>

> -6-8 large ripe tomatoes, diced
> -zest and juice of 2 limes (I cheated and added a touch more bottled lime
> juice, I like it)
> -1 medium red onion, chopped
> -4 jalapenos, chopped
> -1 habanero, chopped fine
> -2 cobs worth of corn. I didn't measure how much came off the corn, maybe
> 1 cup each?
> -1 small can of tomato paste
> -fist full of cilantro, chopped
> -large splash of olive oil
> -spoonfull or two of ground cumin
> -pinch or two of kosher salt

What did the can of tomato paste add to the salsa? How did you incorporate
it into the other more chunky ingredients? I'd have left it out.
Was this for eating immediately or did you can some?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Peter" > wrote:

> I made some using things I had on hand.
>
> Amounts are approximates, I don't write these things down ;-)
>

> -6-8 large ripe tomatoes, diced
> -zest and juice of 2 limes (I cheated and added a touch more bottled lime
> juice, I like it)
> -1 medium red onion, chopped
> -4 jalapenos, chopped
> -1 habanero, chopped fine
> -2 cobs worth of corn. I didn't measure how much came off the corn, maybe 1
> cup each?
> -1 small can of tomato paste
> -fist full of cilantro, chopped
> -large splash of olive oil
> -spoonfull or two of ground cumin
> -pinch or two of kosher salt

Tomato paste? Huh. That's different. What was the consistency of the
finished dish?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dejablues" > wrote in message

> "Peter" > wrote in message
>>I made some using things I had on hand.
>>
>> Amounts are approximates, I don't write these things down ;-)
>>

>> -6-8 large ripe tomatoes, diced
>> -zest and juice of 2 limes (I cheated and added a touch more bottled lime
>> juice, I like it)
>> -1 medium red onion, chopped
>> -4 jalapenos, chopped
>> -1 habanero, chopped fine
>> -2 cobs worth of corn. I didn't measure how much came off the corn,
>> maybe 1 cup each?
>> -1 small can of tomato paste
>> -fist full of cilantro, chopped
>> -large splash of olive oil
>> -spoonfull or two of ground cumin
>> -pinch or two of kosher salt

> What did the can of tomato paste add to the salsa? How did you
> incorporate it into the other more chunky ingredients?

It thickened up all the tomato water that came off of 8 tomatoes.

> I'd have left it out.

Please do!

> Was this for eating immediately or did you can some?

"Fresh salsa"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Peter" > wrote:
>
>> I made some using things I had on hand.
>>
>> Amounts are approximates, I don't write these things down ;-)
>>

>> -6-8 large ripe tomatoes, diced
>> -zest and juice of 2 limes (I cheated and added a touch more bottled lime
>> juice, I like it)
>> -1 medium red onion, chopped
>> -4 jalapenos, chopped
>> -1 habanero, chopped fine
>> -2 cobs worth of corn. I didn't measure how much came off the corn,
>> maybe 1
>> cup each?
>> -1 small can of tomato paste
>> -fist full of cilantro, chopped
>> -large splash of olive oil
>> -spoonfull or two of ground cumin
>> -pinch or two of kosher salt

> Tomato paste? Huh. That's different. What was the consistency of the
> finished dish?

Ya know all the water that comes out of tomatoes? That was thicker but
still a bit runny, easier for scooping onto chips though. Still tasted like
fresh tomatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Peter" > wrote:
>>
>>> I made some using things I had on hand.
>>>
>>> Amounts are approximates, I don't write these things down ;-)
>>>

>>> -6-8 large ripe tomatoes, diced
>>> -zest and juice of 2 limes (I cheated and added a touch more bottled lime
>>> juice, I like it)
>>> -1 medium red onion, chopped
>>> -4 jalapenos, chopped
>>> -1 habanero, chopped fine
>>> -2 cobs worth of corn. I didn't measure how much came off the corn,
>>> maybe 1
>>> cup each?
>>> -1 small can of tomato paste
>>> -fist full of cilantro, chopped
>>> -large splash of olive oil
>>> -spoonfull or two of ground cumin
>>> -pinch or two of kosher salt

>> Tomato paste? Huh. That's different. What was the consistency of the
>> finished dish?

> Ya know all the water that comes out of tomatoes? That was thicker but
> still a bit runny, easier for scooping onto chips though. Still tasted like
> fresh tomatoes.

I've done that with an 8-ounce can of tomato *sauce* in a batch about
that size. I don't think I'd like it with tomato paste. Unless maybe
you just used a spoonful of tomato paste (but that would be hard to mix in.)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>> Tomato paste? Huh. That's different. What was the consistency of the
>>> finished dish?

>> Ya know all the water that comes out of tomatoes? That was thicker but
>> still a bit runny, easier for scooping onto chips though. Still tasted
>> like fresh tomatoes.

> I've done that with an 8-ounce can of tomato *sauce* in a batch about that
> size. I don't think I'd like it with tomato paste. Unless maybe you just
> used a spoonful of tomato paste (but that would be hard to mix in.)
>
> Bob

Well, it was a pretty damn small can and a big bowl of salsa :-) I mixed it
with the olive oil quickly before dumping in to stir. I may have used
tomatoe sauce, that would work, but made the salsa using what I had on hand.
Grocery shopping here on a Saturday is a nightmare.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 25, 10:18*am, "Peter" > wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> > Peter wrote:

> >> Ya know all the water that comes out of tomatoes? *That was thicker but
> >> still a bit runny, easier for scooping onto chips though. *Still tasted
> >> like fresh tomatoes.

> > I've done that with an 8-ounce can of tomato *sauce* in a batch about that
> > size. *I don't think I'd like it with tomato paste. *Unless maybe you just
> > used a spoonful of tomato paste (but that would be hard to mix in.)

> > Bob

> Well, it was a pretty damn small can and a big bowl of salsa :-) *I mixed it
> with the olive oil quickly before dumping in to stir. *I may have used
> tomatoe sauce, that would work, but made the salsa using what I had on hand.
> Grocery shopping here on a Saturday is a nightmare

Canned tomato paste is hugely preferable to any canned tomato "sauce"
they sell in the USA for such a use.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Peter" > wrote:

> I may have used tomatoe sauce, that would work, but made the salsa
> using what I had on hand. Grocery shopping here on a Saturday is a
> nightmare.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 25, 12:19*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"Peter" > wrote:
> > I may have used tomatoe sauce, that would work, but made the salsa
> > using what I had on hand. Grocery shopping here on a Saturday is a
> > nightmare.

> Necessity is the mother of invention.

No. Laziness is the mother of invention.
Necessity is just a mother
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 25, 8:07*am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I've done that with an 8-ounce can of tomato *sauce* in a batch about
> that size. *I don't think I'd like it with tomato paste. *Unless maybe
> you just used a spoonful of tomato paste (but that would be hard to mix in..)

Paste is condensed tomatoes, I think. Didn't Sheldon say that in the
tomato soup thread? And, isn't tomato sauce have salt added or
something?

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen > wrote:

>Paste is condensed tomatoes, I think.

It is, but it's made from paste tomatoes, a different variety
than normal. I believe they are higher in protein relative
to carbs which gives the paste more thickening ability.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 4:11�pm, "Peter" > wrote:
> I made some using things I had on hand.
>
> Amounts are approximates, I don't write these things down ;-)
>
> -6-8 large ripe tomatoes, diced
> -zest and juice of 2 limes (I cheated and added a touch more bottled lime
> juice, I like it)
> -1 medium red onion, chopped
> -4 jalapenos, chopped
> -1 habanero, chopped fine
> -2 cobs worth of corn. �I didn't measure how much came off the corn, maybe 1
> cup each?
> -1 small can of tomato paste
> -fist full of cilantro, chopped
> -large splash of olive oil
> -spoonfull or two of ground cumin
> -pinch or two of kosher salt

Black beans, are good sometimes, also avocado can make it tasty. I
have never used tomato paste, but use lemon or lime. If you enjoy
fruit salsa, try making one with red onion, pineapple, mango,
cilantro( use in the tomato one too ) use your imagination.!

What you are doing sounds good, now play with it a little.

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
On May 25, 8:07 am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I've done that with an 8-ounce can of tomato *sauce* in a batch about
> that size. I don't think I'd like it with tomato paste. Unless maybe
> you just used a spoonful of tomato paste (but that would be hard to mix
> in.)

Paste is condensed tomatoes, I think. Didn't Sheldon say that in the
tomato soup thread? And, isn't tomato sauce have salt added or
something?

Karen

Why in the world would anybody be quoting Sheldon??

OK I get it now. Its a joke

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in message
On May 24, 4:11?pm, "Peter" > wrote:
> I made some using things I had on hand.
>
> Amounts are approximates, I don't write these things down ;-)
>
> -6-8 large ripe tomatoes, diced
> -zest and juice of 2 limes (I cheated and added a touch more bottled lime
> juice, I like it)
> -1 medium red onion, chopped
> -4 jalapenos, chopped
> -1 habanero, chopped fine
> -2 cobs worth of corn. ?I didn't measure how much came off the corn, maybe
> 1
> cup each?
> -1 small can of tomato paste
> -fist full of cilantro, chopped
> -large splash of olive oil
> -spoonfull or two of ground cumin
> -pinch or two of kosher salt

Black beans, are good sometimes, also avocado can make it tasty. I
have never used tomato paste, but use lemon or lime. If you enjoy
fruit salsa, try making one with red onion, pineapple, mango,
cilantro( use in the tomato one too ) use your imagination.!

What you are doing sounds good, now play with it a little.

Rosie

-------

Thanks rosie, I always play with my food, thats how this happened :-) I
was reading about pineapple/mango salsas before, sounds tastey!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter wrote:

> Ya know all the water that comes out of tomatoes? That was thicker but
> still a bit runny, easier for scooping onto chips though. Still tasted like
> fresh tomatoes.

If I have watery tomatoes, I put them in a strainer over a bowl. I'll
freeze the "water" to use in soups or tomato-based sauces. Usually only
have watery ones when I get them ripe from the neighbor's garden.

If you use Roma (plum) tomatoes, there is much less water. They make the
best fresh salsas.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter" > wrote in message

> "dejablues" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Peter" > wrote in message
>>>I made some using things I had on hand.
>>>
>>> Amounts are approximates, I don't write these things down ;-)
>>>

>>> -6-8 large ripe tomatoes, diced
>>> -zest and juice of 2 limes (I cheated and added a touch more bottled
>>> lime juice, I like it)
>>> -1 medium red onion, chopped
>>> -4 jalapenos, chopped
>>> -1 habanero, chopped fine
>>> -2 cobs worth of corn. I didn't measure how much came off the corn,
>>> maybe 1 cup each?
>>> -1 small can of tomato paste
>>> -fist full of cilantro, chopped
>>> -large splash of olive oil
>>> -spoonfull or two of ground cumin
>>> -pinch or two of kosher salt

>> What did the can of tomato paste add to the salsa? How did you
>> incorporate it into the other more chunky ingredients?

> It thickened up all the tomato water that came off of 8 tomatoes.
>
>> I'd have left it out.

> Please do!
>
>> Was this for eating immediately or did you can some?

> "Fresh salsa"

I asked because that seems like an awful lot of salsa! You must have had a
party. ;-)