Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Fresh Vegetable Salsa

The sweet and hot peppers as well as the onions in our garden did much
better than expected. The tomatoes also surprised us by ripening
almost simultaneously over the last couple of days. I guess all of
them benefited from the drip irrigation.
Yesterday was harvesting day and today became salsa making day. A
total of 22 - 500ml jars. Last canner load is plinking as I type.
Thank goodness for my faithful old homemade pot stirrer, it saved my
back and arms from a lot of tedious time in front of the stove.
http://tinypic.com/r/e5pyjd/8

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/2/2015 11:21 AM, Ross@home wrote:
> The sweet and hot peppers as well as the onions in our garden did much
> better than expected. The tomatoes also surprised us by ripening
> almost simultaneously over the last couple of days. I guess all of
> them benefited from the drip irrigation.
> Yesterday was harvesting day and today became salsa making day. A
> total of 22 - 500ml jars. Last canner load is plinking as I type.
> Thank goodness for my faithful old homemade pot stirrer, it saved my
> back and arms from a lot of tedious time in front of the stove.
> http://tinypic.com/r/e5pyjd/8
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

I downloaded your pot stirrer plans a few years ago but haven't found
the exact parts I need as yet. Guess I should post the parts needed on
the HOA website, someone might be getting rid of some of them.

That's a LOT of salsa Ross, hope you have plenty of tortillas.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 13:10:18 -0500, George Shirley >
wrote:

>On 9/2/2015 11:21 AM, Ross@home wrote:
>> The sweet and hot peppers as well as the onions in our garden did much
>> better than expected. The tomatoes also surprised us by ripening
>> almost simultaneously over the last couple of days. I guess all of
>> them benefited from the drip irrigation.
>> Yesterday was harvesting day and today became salsa making day. A
>> total of 22 - 500ml jars. Last canner load is plinking as I type.
>> Thank goodness for my faithful old homemade pot stirrer, it saved my
>> back and arms from a lot of tedious time in front of the stove.
>> http://tinypic.com/r/e5pyjd/8
>>
>> Ross.
>> Southern Ontario, Canada
>>

>I downloaded your pot stirrer plans a few years ago but haven't found
>the exact parts I need as yet. Guess I should post the parts needed on
>the HOA website, someone might be getting rid of some of them.
>
>That's a LOT of salsa Ross, hope you have plenty of tortillas.
>
>George

Hi George,

The wooden parts of the stirrer I fashioned out of sugar maple, the
BBQ rotisserie motor, spit, and S/S mounting brackets all came in a
kit I picked up for cheap at Liquidation World, a local liquidation
outlet. Used to get some great deals there but they were bought out
quite a few years by Big Lots from the U.S. of A. I guess Big Lots
didn't find it such a good acquisition because they're long gone too.
As far as food goes, we don't have all that many tortillas but, there
are plenty of kids, grandkids and great-grandkids who really love it
and will make sure it doesn't go to waste.
We use it on omelets and/or scrambled eggs at breakfast and on our
baked potatoes along with sour cream and on many other tasty dishes.
We both really like to cook and partake of the results, especially
stuff we've produced ourselves. There was a saying that my dad used
many years ago that went "I'm too old to die young so I'll be danged
if I'm gonna die hungry". Now that I'm on the brink of 81, I've taken
over his saying as my own .

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/2/2015 6:06 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 13:10:18 -0500, George Shirley >
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/2/2015 11:21 AM, Ross@home wrote:
>>> The sweet and hot peppers as well as the onions in our garden did much
>>> better than expected. The tomatoes also surprised us by ripening
>>> almost simultaneously over the last couple of days. I guess all of
>>> them benefited from the drip irrigation.
>>> Yesterday was harvesting day and today became salsa making day. A
>>> total of 22 - 500ml jars. Last canner load is plinking as I type.
>>> Thank goodness for my faithful old homemade pot stirrer, it saved my
>>> back and arms from a lot of tedious time in front of the stove.
>>> http://tinypic.com/r/e5pyjd/8
>>>
>>> Ross.
>>> Southern Ontario, Canada
>>>

>> I downloaded your pot stirrer plans a few years ago but haven't found
>> the exact parts I need as yet. Guess I should post the parts needed on
>> the HOA website, someone might be getting rid of some of them.
>>
>> That's a LOT of salsa Ross, hope you have plenty of tortillas.
>>
>> George

> Hi George,
>
> The wooden parts of the stirrer I fashioned out of sugar maple, the
> BBQ rotisserie motor, spit, and S/S mounting brackets all came in a
> kit I picked up for cheap at Liquidation World, a local liquidation
> outlet. Used to get some great deals there but they were bought out
> quite a few years by Big Lots from the U.S. of A. I guess Big Lots
> didn't find it such a good acquisition because they're long gone too.
> As far as food goes, we don't have all that many tortillas but, there
> are plenty of kids, grandkids and great-grandkids who really love it
> and will make sure it doesn't go to waste.
> We use it on omelets and/or scrambled eggs at breakfast and on our
> baked potatoes along with sour cream and on many other tasty dishes.
> We both really like to cook and partake of the results, especially
> stuff we've produced ourselves. There was a saying that my dad used
> many years ago that went "I'm too old to die young so I'll be danged
> if I'm gonna die hungry". Now that I'm on the brink of 81, I've taken
> over his saying as my own .
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

I'll be 76 this month so you're not far ahead of me. I never even
thought of dying hungry, maybe that's why we like gardening so much. I
miss the old place in Orange, TX where we had ducks, chickens, rabbits,
very large garden, a pond full of fish, pigs, a cow and calf, and lots
of other edibles close by, for free. That area still exists but is now
mostly commuter folk to and from their city jobs and hardly anyone
gardens or has critters.

It's starting to show a bit of fall weather here, temps at sunrise were
in the low seventies F and now that darkness has gotten here the outside
temp is now at 80F. If we could have a bit of rain it would be very
nice. Just got the water bill and it's up six bucks from the last one.
Luckily water is still fairly cheap here. Oh yeah, that $57 bill
includes sewer, recycling, and garbage pick up. Beats hauling stuff to
the dump once a month as in olden times.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 12:21:20 UTC-4, Ro...@home wrote:
> The sweet and hot peppers as well as the onions in our garden did much
> better than expected. The tomatoes also surprised us by ripening
> almost simultaneously over the last couple of days. I guess all of
> them benefited from the drip irrigation.
> Yesterday was harvesting day and today became salsa making day. A
> total of 22 - 500ml jars. Last canner load is plinking as I type.
> Thank goodness for my faithful old homemade pot stirrer, it saved my
> back and arms from a lot of tedious time in front of the stove.
> http://tinypic.com/r/e5pyjd/8
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

That is some gadget!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ross@home wrote:

> The sweet and hot peppers as well as the onions in our garden did much
> better than expected. The tomatoes also surprised us by ripening
> almost simultaneously over the last couple of days. I guess all of
> them benefited from the drip irrigation.
> Yesterday was harvesting day and today became salsa making day. A
> total of 22 - 500ml jars. Last canner load is plinking as I type.
> Thank goodness for my faithful old homemade pot stirrer, it saved my
> back and arms from a lot of tedious time in front of the stove.
> http://tinypic.com/r/e5pyjd/8

we're having a great tomato season this year too
along with the red peppers and onions. i made some
soup yesterday that included sweet italian sausage
roasted red peppers and fennel (and that was it no
other spices or ingredients needed besides a cup of
water). turned out pretty well (but i regret that
i can't find decent italian sausage around here).
even Ma said it was good. the part i like the most
is the red peppers, i fry them in a bit of oil in a
pan until they start to get a little black on them.

at times we've just put big pots of stuff in the
oven on low enough temperatures that they won't
burn and leave them until done. might stir once
or twice. saves a lot of stirring.

my favorite salsa use is over well buttered toast
in layers so it is like a pudding. unfortunately i
am reacting to tomatoes so i'm not eating them much
at all. as a mainstay of my diet this time of the
year it's really hard to resist. when i used to go
out and pick we'd have a few dozen cherry tomatoes
as we were picking and then come in and have toasted
tomato sandwiches. now i just have to smell them
and live vicariously.

the other day i could not resist a small bite of
a really ripe one that i pulled off a plant where
it was wedged so tightly between the wire cage and
the stem that it burst in my hand. it smelled
divine so i had to taste it. every bit as good as
i could imagine.

songbird