DG

Default Fresh salsa (not cooked)

Can anyone help me make a fresh salsa? The main part I am confused about
is what kind of tomato I should use (what species), what preparation
(boiled, peeled, chopped) and if it needs to be cooked at all. I am
trying to mimic the excellent fresh salsa I can buy at the grocery store,
which is also quite similar to those you get in restaurants. Other
ingredients I will use are garlic, cilantro, onion, chilies, and that's
about it. Am I missing anything?

I am confused how to make it, and especially, how to use the tomatoes.
Ernie

"DG" > wrote in message
news
> Can anyone help me make a fresh salsa? The main part I am confused about
> is what kind of tomato I should use (what species), what preparation
> (boiled, peeled, chopped) and if it needs to be cooked at all. I am
> trying to mimic the excellent fresh salsa I can buy at the grocery store,
> which is also quite similar to those you get in restaurants. Other
> ingredients I will use are garlic, cilantro, onion, chilies, and that's
> about it. Am I missing anything?
>
> I am confused how to make it, and especially, how to use the tomatoes.

There are hundreds of recipes on the internet. Just do a search for salsa
recipes.
Ernie

Dan Abel

In article > , DG
> wrote:

> Can anyone help me make a fresh salsa? The main part I am confused about
> is what kind of tomato I should use (what species), what preparation
> (boiled, peeled, chopped) and if it needs to be cooked at all. I am

Roma tomatoes work best, although any kind will work. If not using Romas,
let the tomatoes drain in a colander after dicing. Do not boil or peel
them or cook them in any way.

> trying to mimic the excellent fresh salsa I can buy at the grocery store,

Homemade is better, because the tomatoes don't get mushy. That also means
you need to use it quickly, though.

> which is also quite similar to those you get in restaurants. Other
> ingredients I will use are garlic, cilantro, onion, chilies, and that's
> about it. Am I missing anything?

I like a little lime juice.

> I am confused how to make it, and especially, how to use the tomatoes.

Just cut everything up and mix.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Dan Abel

In article > , DG
> wrote:

> Can anyone help me make a fresh salsa? The main part I am confused about
> is what kind of tomato I should use (what species), what preparation
> (boiled, peeled, chopped) and if it needs to be cooked at all. I am

Roma tomatoes work best, although any kind will work. If not using Romas,
let the tomatoes drain in a colander after dicing. Do not boil or peel
them or cook them in any way.

> trying to mimic the excellent fresh salsa I can buy at the grocery store,

Homemade is better, because the tomatoes don't get mushy. That also means
you need to use it quickly, though.

> which is also quite similar to those you get in restaurants. Other
> ingredients I will use are garlic, cilantro, onion, chilies, and that's
> about it. Am I missing anything?

I like a little lime juice.

> I am confused how to make it, and especially, how to use the tomatoes.

Just cut everything up and mix.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University
AIS

David Wright

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:53:58 GMT, DG >
wrote:

>Can anyone help me make a fresh salsa? The main part I am confused about
>is what kind of tomato I should use (what species), what preparation
>(boiled, peeled, chopped) and if it needs to be cooked at all. I am
>trying to mimic the excellent fresh salsa I can buy at the grocery store,
>which is also quite similar to those you get in restaurants. Other
>ingredients I will use are garlic, cilantro, onion, chilies, and that's
>about it. Am I missing anything?
>
>I am confused how to make it, and especially, how to use the tomatoes.

You are off to a great start. I always use Roma tomatoes because they
have a high flesh/volume ratio. Just chop them raw and don't worry
about peeling them, especially if you "toast" them (see below.)

Besides those ingredients you plan to use, I'd suggest salt and lime
juice.

You can get several variations on this basic theme by toasting one,
some, or all of the vegetables in a dry skillet, preferably cast iron.
Also, you can vary the chiles: jalapeños, serranos, and/or hot New
Mexicos are my usual options.

Have fun!

David

David Wright

wrote:

>Can anyone help me make a fresh salsa?

BTW and FWIW, fresh, (raw) salsa is called "salsa cruda."

David
Julie Bove

"DG" > wrote in message
news
> Can anyone help me make a fresh salsa? The main part I am confused about
> is what kind of tomato I should use (what species), what preparation
> (boiled, peeled, chopped) and if it needs to be cooked at all. I am
> trying to mimic the excellent fresh salsa I can buy at the grocery store,
> which is also quite similar to those you get in restaurants. Other
> ingredients I will use are garlic, cilantro, onion, chilies, and that's
> about it. Am I missing anything?
>
> I am confused how to make it, and especially, how to use the tomatoes.

I usually use Roma tomatoes. I sometimes add one or two chopped tomatillas,
depending on how much I'm making. I'd also add some lime juice and maybe
some salt.

--
See my webpage:

Hahabogus

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

> "DG" > wrote in message
> news
> > Can anyone help me make a fresh salsa? The main part I am confused
> > about is what kind of tomato I should use (what species), what
> > preparation (boiled, peeled, chopped) and if it needs to be cooked
> > at all. I am trying to mimic the excellent fresh salsa I can buy
> > at the grocery store, which is also quite similar to those you get
> > in restaurants. Other ingredients I will use are garlic, cilantro,
> > onion, chilies, and that's about it. Am I missing anything?
> >
> > I am confused how to make it, and especially, how to use the
> > tomatoes.

> I usually use Roma tomatoes. I sometimes add one or two chopped
> tomatillas, depending on how much I'm making. I'd also add some
> lime juice and maybe some salt.

Roma tomatoes are those almost egg shaped tomatoes. They usually are
smaller and less juicy than other types of tomatoes.

Cooked corn nibblets, chopped olives, tomatillas and jicama "sticks" can
be add to the recipe below as well. (Strictly optional though)

Google Pico De Gallo to get 1,000s of variants of this recipe.

If you are after a Picante sauce (cooked, home-canned salsa) google
picante sauce.

Pico De Gallo Salsa

2 or 3 serrano or jalapeno chiles,; stems & seeds removed,
1 or 2 bell peppers (red, green, yellow); your choice chopped
1 large red onion, finely chopped
4 medium roma tomatoes, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped; or more
1/4 bunch finely chopped cilantro
1 juice of 1 fresh lime

Finely chop the garlic and cilantro. Chop the other ingredients a lot or
a little. To make a chunky to your choice Salsa.
Squeeze the juice of the lime over the combined ingredients. Be sure hot
peppers are seeded and the white parts has been removed. A little salt
doesn't hurt.

Notes...
juicer tomatoes work well too.
Be sure to wash hands well after handling hot peppers.
Let the salsa rest in the fridge a couple of hours to over night to let
the flavours mix well.

Good with corn chips or on fajitas or tacos...Even ok on pasta.
Lemon juice or vinegar can replace the lime . But fresh lime juice is
the best. Coloured bell peppers make it look nicer but green peppers are
cheaper and work well too.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
james a. finley

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:53:58 GMT, DG >
> wrote:
>
> >Can anyone help me make a fresh salsa?

> BTW and FWIW, fresh, (raw) salsa is called "salsa cruda."
>
> David

Then what is "salsa fresca"?

Jim

David Wright

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:40:11 -0600, "james a. finley"
> wrote:

>"David Wright" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:53:58 GMT, DG >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Can anyone help me make a fresh salsa?

>> BTW and FWIW, fresh, (raw) salsa is called "salsa cruda."
>>
>> David

>Then what is "salsa fresca"?
>
>Jim

After a search on Google, it looks to be the same thing: sauce that is
not cooked, i.e., raw. But I know nothing about when or where "salsa
fresca" came around.

Rolly, what is uncooked salsa called where you live?

David

Fresh Vegetable Salsa Ross@home Preserving 5 03-09-2015 03:29 PM
fresh salsa Peter[_6_] General Cooking 17 25-05-2008 10:43 PM
Fresh Salsa Travis & Jenn[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 15-05-2007 02:56 PM
Fresh Tomato Salsa Duckie ® Recipes 0 17-08-2005 10:18 PM
Fresh Plum Salsa Duckie ® Recipes 0 03-07-2005 05:26 PM