Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ali Ali is offline

Default Looking For a Spicy Tomato Pizza Sauce Recipe

I am looking for a nice spicy tomato sauce recipe for pizza bases.

Of course, just adding chilli powder would solve this, but I want something
that gives a kick, but is tasty as well. Something that gives a kick in the
background, but is not overpowering. I know it depends on the pallet of the
person who is eating it, but I am open to all suggestions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ali" > wrote:

> Of course, just adding chilli powder would solve this, but I want something
> that gives a kick, but is tasty as well. Something that gives a kick in the
> background, but is not overpowering. I know it depends on the pallet of the
> person who is eating it, but I am open to all suggestions.

For an approximately three cups of flour pizza crust, I use this:

1 eight ounce can of tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic crushed through a garlic press into the sauce
1 tsp of dried oregano

Simmer for a half hour or until you get bored and chill until you make
the pizza.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 25, 3:32*pm, "Ali" > wrote:
> I am looking for a nice spicy tomato sauce recipe for pizza bases.
>
> Of course, just adding chilli powder would solve this, but I want something
> that gives a kick, but is tasty as well. *Something that gives a kick in the
> background, but is not overpowering. *I know it depends on the pallet of the
> person who is eating it, but I am open to all suggestions.

No, chili powder wouldn't solve it, unless you want to surprise with
an unexpected flavor. If you just want heat, use red pepper flakes.
If you're making your own tomato sauce, saute onion, garlic and bell
peppers--get 'em soft before adding tomatoes and pinch(es) of red
pepper flakes. Puree the sauce when all done if you like. If you
want it a little sweeter try some diced carrot along with the onion,
etc. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ali" > wrote:
>
>> Of course, just adding chilli powder would solve this, but I want something
>> that gives a kick, but is tasty as well. Something that gives a kick in the
>> background, but is not overpowering. I know it depends on the pallet of the
>> person who is eating it, but I am open to all suggestions.

> For an approximately three cups of flour pizza crust, I use this:
>
> 1 eight ounce can of tomato sauce
> 2 cloves garlic crushed through a garlic press into the sauce
> 1 tsp of dried oregano
>
> Simmer for a half hour or until you get bored and chill until you make
> the pizza.
>
> leo

Where is the "spicy"?

How about crushed red pepper for spiciness. It's more traditional than
chili powder.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Where is the "spicy"?
>
> How about crushed red pepper for spiciness. It's more traditional than
> chili powder.

2 cloves of garlic in 8 ounces of tomato sauce isn't spicy? I'll agree
with the red pepper over chili powder. But I generally like it sprinkled
on the pizza instead. I guess it all depends on what spicy means. I also
think copious amounts of oregano makes things spicy. But that's just me.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ali > wrote:

> I am looking for a nice spicy tomato sauce recipe for pizza bases.
>
> Of course, just adding chilli powder would solve this, but I want something
> that gives a kick, but is tasty as well. Something that gives a kick in the
> background, but is not overpowering. I know it depends on the pallet of the
> person who is eating it, but I am open to all suggestions.

Garlic, oregano, black pepper, crushed fennel seed, and red pepper
flakes.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 25, 8:57�pm, aem > wrote:
> On Apr 25, 3:32�pm, "Ali" > wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a nice spicy tomato sauce recipe for pizza bases.

> > Of course, just adding chilli powder would solve this, but I want something
> > that gives a kick, but is tasty as well. �Something that gives a kick in the
> > background, but is not overpowering. �I know it depends on the pallet of the
> > person who is eating it, but I am open to all suggestions.

> No, chili powder wouldn't solve it, unless you want to surprise with
> an unexpected flavor. �If you just want heat, use red pepper flakes.
> If you're making your own tomato sauce, saute onion, garlic and bell
> peppers--get 'em soft before adding tomatoes and pinch(es) of red
> pepper flakes. �Puree the sauce when all done if you like. �If you
> want it a little sweeter try some diced carrot along with the onion,
> etc. � �-aem

Yep, chili powder will make some miserable pizza sauce. Tomato sauce
is okay if you've nothing else but whole canned peeled tomatoes in
puree are best, just squeezed in hand to bust them up a bit... add
some salt, black pepper, oregano, and garlic powder... do not cook,
pizza sauce should never be cooked, otherwise it will caramelize and
then when the pizza is baked it will burn. For spicy pizza add red
pepper flakes after baking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 25, 8:23 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Ali" > wrote:

> >> Of course, just adding chilli powder would solve this, but I want something
> >> that gives a kick, but is tasty as well. Something that gives a kick in the
> >> background, but is not overpowering. I know it depends on the pallet of the
> >> person who is eating it, but I am open to all suggestions.

> > For an approximately three cups of flour pizza crust, I use this:

> > 1 eight ounce can of tomato sauce
> > 2 cloves garlic crushed through a garlic press into the sauce
> > 1 tsp of dried oregano

> > Simmer for a half hour or until you get bored and chill until you make
> > the pizza.

> > leo

> Where is the "spicy"?
>
> How about crushed red pepper for spiciness. It's more traditional than
> chili powder.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Cayenne in small amounts will work, too. I've found that if you add it
at the last minute, or even after cooking, it adds an interesting,
slightly woody flavor to things, but if you add it at the beginning
everything except the heat cooks out. Cayenne has some delicate,
unappreciated flavors beyond the spiciness that tend to get cooked to
death.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Yep, chili powder will make some miserable pizza sauce. Tomato sauce
> is okay if you've nothing else but whole canned peeled tomatoes in
> puree are best, just squeezed in hand to bust them up a bit... add
> some salt, black pepper, oregano, and garlic powder... do not cook,
> pizza sauce should never be cooked, otherwise it will caramelize and
> then when the pizza is baked it will burn. For spicy pizza add red
> pepper flakes after baking.

Don't cook it? Interesting. I will try that. I usually make pizza with
leftover marinara...It is tasty, but never exactly quite right.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>

>> Yep, chili powder will make some miserable pizza sauce. Tomato sauce
>> is okay if you've nothing else but whole canned peeled tomatoes in
>> puree are best, just squeezed in hand to bust them up a bit... add
>> some salt, black pepper, oregano, and garlic powder... do not cook,
>> pizza sauce should never be cooked, otherwise it will caramelize and
>> then when the pizza is baked it will burn. For spicy pizza add red
>> pepper flakes after baking.

> Don't cook it? Interesting. I will try that. I usually make pizza with
> leftover marinara...It is tasty, but never exactly quite right.
>
> -Tracy

I never cook pizza sauce. I either use drained San Marzano tomatoes that
I crush with my hand or when real tomatoes are in season I use tomato
slices. You will notice a huge difference in taste and it is one of the
reasons why industrial pizza never tastes right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ali" > wrote:

> I am looking for a nice spicy tomato sauce recipe for pizza bases.
>
> Of course, just adding chilli powder would solve this, but I want something
> that gives a kick, but is tasty as well. Something that gives a kick in the
> background, but is not overpowering. I know it depends on the pallet

If you buy a pallet of tomato sauce you'll have a nice supply with which
you can create some palate pleasers.

I use canned tomato sauce and season it with basil, garlic, and oregano.
I wouldn't put chili powder in it, but if you like it, that's what you
should have.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Leonard Blaisdell > wrote:

> 1 eight ounce can of tomato sauce
> 2 cloves garlic crushed through a garlic press into the sauce
> 1 tsp of dried oregano
>
> Simmer for a half hour or until you get bored and chill until you make
> the pizza.
>
> leo

Do you have anything left after a half hour, Leo? Or are you simmering
with the pot covered? I find I like my pizza sauce the consistency of
sauce; Rob prefers thicker. Too bad he doesn't make the pizza. '-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
4/23/2008 The rains fall on the just and the unjust alike; sometimes
our umbrellas are not wide enough to keep us dry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Tracy wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>

>>> Yep, chili powder will make some miserable pizza sauce. Tomato sauce
>>> is okay if you've nothing else but whole canned peeled tomatoes in
>>> puree are best, just squeezed in hand to bust them up a bit... add
>>> some salt, black pepper, oregano, and garlic powder... do not cook,
>>> pizza sauce should never be cooked, otherwise it will caramelize and
>>> then when the pizza is baked it will burn. For spicy pizza add red
>>> pepper flakes after baking.

>> Don't cook it? Interesting. I will try that. I usually make pizza with
>> leftover marinara...It is tasty, but never exactly quite right.
>>
>> -Tracy

> I never cook pizza sauce. I either use drained San Marzano tomatoes that
> I crush with my hand or when real tomatoes are in season I use tomato
> slices. You will notice a huge difference in taste and it is one of the
> reasons why industrial pizza never tastes right.

I have made pizza with fresh tomato slices, feta and black olives for a
sort of Greek pizza. I will try this (with uncooked sauce) this weekend
- probably tomorrow.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote

> George wrote:
>> Tracy wrote:

>>> Don't cook it? Interesting. I will try that. I usually make pizza with
>>> leftover marinara...It is tasty, but never exactly quite right.

>> I never cook pizza sauce. I either use drained San Marzano tomatoes that
>> I crush with my hand or when real tomatoes are in season I use tomato
>> slices. You will notice a huge difference in taste and it is one of the
>> reasons why industrial pizza never tastes right.

> I have made pizza with fresh tomato slices, feta and black olives for a
> sort of Greek pizza. I will try this (with uncooked sauce) this weekend -
> probably tomorrow.

I think what makes good pizza sauce is it's fresh tomatoey flavor.
I don't want it cooked too much, it starts to be like pasta sauce ...
which is great if you're having spaghetti. Not so much for pizza.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Yep, chili powder will make some miserable pizza sauce. �Tomato sauce
> > is okay if you've nothing else but whole canned peeled tomatoes in
> > puree are best, just squeezed in hand to bust them up a bit... add
> > some salt, black pepper, oregano, and garlic powder... do not cook,
> > pizza sauce should never be cooked, otherwise it will caramelize and
> > then when the pizza is baked it will burn. �For spicy pizza add red
> > pepper flakes after baking.

> Don't cook it? Interesting. I will try that. I usually make pizza with
> leftover marinara...It is tasty, but never exactly quite right.

The longer tomato sauce is cooked the more caramelized it becomes...
I'm sure everyone has noticed that the longer they cook their pasta
sauce the darker it becomes, well that's the sugars caramelizing....
cook it too long/too hot it will burn in the pot. At the high
temperature used to bake pizza cooked tomato sauce will burn before
the dough is fully baked... it's fine if the pizza comes from the oven
with the cheese golden brown but if the sauce is charred the pizza is
ruined. Canned tomatoes are already cooked plenty enough from the
processing, they need no further cooking before used to top pizza.

Pasta sauce cooked too long is not too tasty either (except to those
who think canned Boyardeee is great), especially do not cook pasta
sauce very much (if at all) if it's to be used in a casserole, like
baked ziti and lasagna... I think pasta cassseroles taste best if the
same uncooked pizza sauce is used, it'll cook plenty enough while the
casserole is baked, the chunks of broken tomatoes add a nice touch
too, otherwise you may as well buy frozen pasta casseroles from the
stupidmarket.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
[pizza sauce]
> Don't cook it? Interesting. I will try that. I usually make pizza with
> leftover marinara...It is tasty, but never exactly quite right.

Not that this is a great endorsement, but when I worked at Pizza
Hut, we didn't cook the pizza sauce. Just added a big packet of
spices to a big can of crushed tomatoes, and stirred.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:54:16 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> I find I like my pizza sauce the consistency of
>sauce; Rob prefers thicker.

I like mine thicker too, so I just open a can of tomato paste and
slather it on. It never burns.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:54:16 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> I find I like my pizza sauce the consistency of
>> sauce; Rob prefers thicker.

> I like mine thicker too, so I just open a can of tomato paste and
> slather it on. It never burns.

Tomato paste by itself?! or added to tomato sauce? Tomato paste by itself
is pretty darn bland.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > I find I like my pizza sauce the consistency of
> >sauce; Rob prefers thicker.

> I like mine thicker too, so I just open a can of tomato paste and
> slather it on. �

No seasoning... don't you find the flavor of pure paste kind of
acetic... I would add some water... the little bit of extra liquid
would help to cook any toppings and keep cheese from burning.

> It never burns.

Well, it wouldn't unless the oven temperature is too high or left to
bake too long. Tomato paste is pure tomato, nothing added and not
really cooked... it's made commercially by warming and using a
sophisticated vacuum type dehydration tower, same as is used for
making orange juice concentrate. Many tomato products are made from
paste, all tomato juice is simply reconstituted paste... you can save
substantial dollars (and storeage space) by making your own from
paste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:16:05 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:54:16 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I find I like my pizza sauce the consistency of
>>> sauce; Rob prefers thicker.

>> I like mine thicker too, so I just open a can of tomato paste and
>> slather it on. It never burns.
>>

>Tomato paste by itself?! or added to tomato sauce? Tomato paste by itself
>is pretty darn bland.

Yeah, by itself (so to speak). It has a fresh (not bland) flavor to
me I put EVOO on the crust first, then the tomato paste, sprinkle
with garlic, oregano etc. as a base and add toppings.. I don't like
the sloppiness of tomato sauce and I don't want chunks of tomato.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 25, 6:32*pm, "Ali" > wrote:
> I am looking for a nice spicy tomato sauce recipe for pizza bases.
>
> Of course, just adding chilli powder would solve this, but I want something
> that gives a kick, but is tasty as well. *Something that gives a kick in the
> background, but is not overpowering. *I know it depends on the pallet of the
> person who is eating it, but I am open to all suggestions.

Pallet? Are you shipping the person some where?

For the sauce what about finely diced Jalopeno pepper and some
coarsely grated black pepper? Personally I'd avoid a chili taste for
pizza.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:25:09 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> > I find I like my pizza sauce the consistency of
>> >sauce; Rob prefers thicker.

>> I like mine thicker too, so I just open a can of tomato paste and
>> slather it on. ?

>No seasoning... don't you find the flavor of pure paste kind of
>acetic...

I didn't know I was supposed to talk about seasoning too. I was just
saying what I use instead of tomato sauce. See my reply to Jill.

>I would add some water... the little bit of extra liquid
>would help to cook any toppings and keep cheese from burning.

I don't need any water. I don't want mushy toppings or a soggy crust.
I've used everything - home made marinara, ground tomatoes, canned
tomato sauce and the two things I like to use best right now are
either Classico tomato/basil pesto or a can of tomato paste and I'll
add the seasoning myself.

>> It never burns.

>Well, it wouldn't unless the oven temperature is too high or left to
>bake too long.

I use a very high oven temperature, but I keep an eye on the pizza so
it doesn't burn. It's done in 7 - 10 minutes. Just enough time to
form a new crust and assemble the toppings on another pizza.

>Tomato paste is pure tomato, nothing added and not
>really cooked... it's made commercially by warming and using a
>sophisticated vacuum type dehydration tower, same as is used for
>making orange juice concentrate.

Interesting! That's why it tastes so tomatoey and fresh to me.

>Many tomato products are made from
>paste, all tomato juice is simply reconstituted paste... you can save
>substantial dollars (and storeage space) by making your own from
>paste.

Makes sense.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:25:09 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon >
> wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> I like mine thicker too, so I just open a can of tomato paste and
>>> slather it on. ?

>> No seasoning... don't you find the flavor of pure paste kind of
>> acetic...
>>

> I didn't know I was supposed to talk about seasoning too. I was just
> saying what I use instead of tomato sauce. See my reply to Jill.
>
>> I would add some water... the little bit of extra liquid
>> would help to cook any toppings and keep cheese from burning.

> I don't need any water. I don't want mushy toppings or a soggy crust.
> I've used everything - home made marinara, ground tomatoes, canned
> tomato sauce and the two things I like to use best right now are
> either Classico tomato/basil pesto or a can of tomato paste and I'll
> add the seasoning myself.
>
>>> It never burns.

>> Well, it wouldn't unless the oven temperature is too high or left to
>> bake too long.

> I use a very high oven temperature, but I keep an eye on the pizza so
> it doesn't burn. It's done in 7 - 10 minutes. Just enough time to
> form a new crust and assemble the toppings on another pizza.
>
>> Tomato paste is pure tomato, nothing added and not
>> really cooked... it's made commercially by warming and using a
>> sophisticated vacuum type dehydration tower, same as is used for
>> making orange juice concentrate.

> Interesting! That's why it tastes so tomatoey and fresh to me.
>
>> Many tomato products are made from
>> paste, all tomato juice is simply reconstituted paste... you can save
>> substantial dollars (and storeage space) by making your own from
>> paste.

> Makes sense.

I haven't followed this thread at all except the last few posts. But now if
I wanted a spicier tomato sauce for pasta I would use chili powder or even
Jalapeno, unless as a topping, but would add crushed red pepper to the
sauce. It is a regular in tomato sauces and the amount you add will simply
adjust the taste.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joe Cilinceon wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>>> Many tomato products are made from
>>> paste, all tomato juice is simply reconstituted paste... you can
>>> save substantial dollars (and storeage space) by making your own
>>> from paste.

>> Makes sense.

> I haven't followed this thread at all except the last few posts. But
> now if I wanted a spicier tomato sauce for pasta I would use chili
> powder or even Jalapeno, unless as a topping, but would add crushed
> red pepper to the sauce. It is a regular in tomato sauces and the
> amount you add will simply adjust the taste.

Boy didn't I have some typos, I'll try again.

But if I wanted a spicier tomato sauce for pizza I would not use chili
powder or even Jalapeno, unless as a topping, but would add crushed
red pepper to the sauce.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ali Ali is offline

Cheers all for your replies.

One thing I have learnt (and it makes sense now) is not to cook the tomato
sauce like with pasta dishes.

As for the spicyness, I have never been happy with the results of using
chilli powder, hence the post. Ironically enough, the reason for the post
came from a spicy sauce that Domino's used for a limited period of time (in
the UK) and I want to create something similar.

I already use canned plum tomatoes (although are maybe a bit sweet), tomato
puree, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic and onion for the sauce and sieve it,
but am yet to find the secret ingredient for the spicyness. I think that
maybe I need to try using fresh chilli's to the sauce and see how that turns
out.

"Ali" > wrote in message
>I am looking for a nice spicy tomato sauce recipe for pizza bases.
>
> Of course, just adding chilli powder would solve this, but I want
> something that gives a kick, but is tasty as well. Something that gives a
> kick in the background, but is not overpowering. I know it depends on the
> pallet of the person who is eating it, but I am open to all suggestions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 4:01�pm, "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:
> Joe Cilinceon wrote:

> >> Makes sense.

> > I haven't followed this thread at all except the last few posts. But
> > now if I wanted a spicier tomato sauce for pasta I would use chili
> > powder or even Jalapeno, unless as a topping, but would add crushed
> > red pepper to the sauce. It is a regular in tomato sauces and the
> > amount you add will simply adjust the taste.

> Boy didn't I have some typos, I'll try again.
>
> But if I wanted a spicier tomato sauce for pizza I would not use chili
> powder or even Jalapeno, unless as a topping, but would add crushed
> red pepper to the sauce.

For pizza it's customary to let each person add their own red pepper
flakes to their own slice.... adding red pepper to the sauce is very
iffy, even if you're the only customer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Do you have anything left after a half hour, Leo? Or are you simmering
> with the pot covered? I find I like my pizza sauce the consistency of
> sauce; Rob prefers thicker. Too bad he doesn't make the pizza. '-)

I go to a low boil and reduce the heat to low. I'm only trying to cook
the raw out of the pressed garlic. I put a lid on as soon as it starts
to boil or it makes the stove all messy. I forgot to add that I add
about a half teaspoon of basil, but the sauce doesn't suffer too much if
I forget it. I'm a fan of not much sauce and a lot of cheese on a pizza.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ali wrote:
> I am looking for a nice spicy tomato sauce recipe for pizza bases.
>
> Of course, just adding chilli powder would solve this, but I want
> something that gives a kick, but is tasty as well. Something that gives
> a kick in the background, but is not overpowering. I know it depends on
> the pallet of the person who is eating it, but I am open to all
> suggestions

Add a few drops of Tabasco and stir well. Taste. Repeat if necessary.
Chili powder has a stale taste-- even if it isn't stale.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Ali wrote:
> > I am looking for a nice spicy tomato sauce recipe for pizza bases.
> >
> > Of course, just adding chilli powder would solve this, but I want
> > something that gives a kick, but is tasty as well. Something that gives
> > a kick in the background, but is not overpowering. I know it depends on
> > the pallet of the person who is eating it, but I am open to all
> > suggestions

> Add a few drops of Tabasco and stir well.

Absolutely, totally, in every way, the *wrong* flavor profile for any
sort of Italian food.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>

>> Where is the "spicy"?
>>
>> How about crushed red pepper for spiciness. It's more traditional than
>> chili powder.

> 2 cloves of garlic in 8 ounces of tomato sauce isn't spicy? I'll agree
> with the red pepper over chili powder. But I generally like it sprinkled
> on the pizza instead. I guess it all depends on what spicy means. I also
> think copious amounts of oregano makes things spicy. But that's just me.
>
> leo

The garlic should go on the pizza, not into the sauce. Pepper flakes go onto
the pizza after it bakes when it is served.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joe Cilinceon wrote:
> Joe Cilinceon wrote:

>>>Makes sense.

>>I haven't followed this thread at all except the last few posts. But
>>now if I wanted a spicier tomato sauce for pasta I would use chili
>>powder or even Jalapeno, unless as a topping, but would add crushed
>>red pepper to the sauce. It is a regular in tomato sauces and the
>>amount you add will simply adjust the taste.

> Boy didn't I have some typos, I'll try again.
>
> But if I wanted a spicier tomato sauce for pizza I would not use chili
> powder or even Jalapeno, unless as a topping, but would add crushed
> red pepper to the sauce.

When I want to add heat without a strong flavor of its own I use ground
white pepper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ali > wrote:

>I am looking for a nice spicy tomato sauce recipe for pizza bases.

>Of course, just adding chilli powder would solve this, but I want something
>that gives a kick, but is tasty as well. Something that gives a kick in the
>background, but is not overpowering. I know it depends on the pallet of the
>person who is eating it, but I am open to all suggestions.

For me, ground cayenne is the right way to make a tomato sauce
spicier. You're not usually going for a chili flavor in
a tomato sauce intended for pizza or pasta. Cayenne has some
flavor but is more neutral. To add flavor, consider Mexican
oregano (the "Mexican" is important here).

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:
> Joe Cilinceon wrote:
> > Joe Cilinceon wrote:

> >>I haven't followed this thread at all except the last few posts. But
> >>now if I wanted a spicier tomato sauce for pasta I would use chili
> >>powder or even Jalapeno, unless as a topping, but would add crushed
> >>red pepper to the sauce. It is a regular in tomato sauces and the
> >>amount you add will simply adjust the taste.

> > Boy didn't I have some typos, I'll try again.

> > But if I wanted a spicier tomato sauce for pizza I would not use chili
> > powder or even Jalapeno, unless as a topping, but would add crushed
> > red pepper to the sauce.

> When I want to add heat without a strong flavor of its own I use ground
> white pepper.

Anyone who thinks white pepper hasn't much flavor has a severe case of
TIAD. White pepper with tomato is also indicative of TIAD.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> Kathleen wrote:
>> Joe Cilinceon wrote:

>> > Boy didn't I have some typos, I'll try again.

>> > But if I wanted a spicier tomato sauce for pizza I would not use chili
>> > powder or even Jalapeno, unless as a topping, but would add crushed
>> > red pepper to the sauce.

>> When I want to add heat without a strong flavor of its own I use ground
>> white pepper.

> Anyone who thinks white pepper hasn't much flavor has a severe case of
> TIAD. White pepper with tomato is also indicative of TIAD.

This just in from Taste In Ass Disease Central.