Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Looking For A 'Non Acidid' Tomato Sauce Recipe for Pizza

I made this one earlier today :

http://cook.dannemann.org.uk/cooking/mains/pizza/

Ingredients for the piazzaiola (the tomato stuff to cover the base)
one onion
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 clove of garlic
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
a couple of leafs of fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon of salt
a pinch of freshly ground pepper

This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste
very acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the
flavour of cheese and toppings, someone that's got a mild tomatoe
flavour. Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Benny wrote on 27 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> I made this one earlier today :
>
> http://cook.dannemann.org.uk/cooking/mains/pizza/
>
> Ingredients for the piazzaiola (the tomato stuff to cover the base)
> one onion
> 3 tablespoons olive oil

needs way more garlic to add sweetness at least 2 cloves.

> 1/2 clove of garlic
> 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
> 1 teaspoon oregano

Where's the marjaram and or fennel?

> a couple of leafs of fresh basil
> 1/4 teaspoon of salt
> a pinch of freshly ground pepper
>
> This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
> use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste
> very acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the
> flavour of cheese and toppings, someone that's got a mild tomatoe
> flavour. Any suggestions?

Since tomatoes in themselves are acidic by nature...I suggest adding a
very small pinch of baking soda to your recipe to effect the PH. Definitly
less that 1/8 tsp. Remember small pinch to start with...you can always add
more but you can't remove it if you add too much. The baking soda will
nuetralize the acidity of the sauce taking the bite out of the sharp
acidic taste of the tomatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Benny wrote:

> This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
> use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste
> very acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the
> flavour of cheese and toppings

Substitute pureed beet root for tomato.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Subject : Looking For A 'Non Acidid' Tomato Sauce Recipe for Pizza
> From : Mr Libido Incognito >

> needs way more garlic to add sweetness at least 2 cloves.

Garlic adds sweetness?!?!

> Where's the marjaram and or fennel?

I've never heard of marjaram so it maybe hard to get. How much fennel
should I use?

> Since tomatoes in themselves are acidic by nature...I suggest adding a
> very small pinch of baking soda to your recipe to effect the PH.

Definitly
> less that 1/8 tsp. Remember small pinch to start with...you can

always add
> more but you can't remove it if you add too much. The baking soda will
> nuetralize the acidity of the sauce taking the bite out of the sharp
> acidic taste of the tomatoes.

Noted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Much of your acidity may be coming from the onion. You might try using a
sweet onion such as Vidalia or Spanish onion. Cut / dice it into quarter
inch thick pieces and then sweat it over low heat with some olive oil for
about 20 - 30 minutes to until the onions are just starting to take little
color and caramelize. If you taste them at that point they should be
naturally sweet.

Also, "chopped tomatoes" may vary in acid content. The ones I use are not
tart / acid at all. I prefer whole tomatoes, crushed right in the pan with
a potato masher, but crushed tomatoes are very good too.

Also, try leaving out the salt. At the least, don't just add it blindly.
Try the sauce without it, then add a little pinch and, without stirring,
taste the spot where you added the salt to see if you like it better or not.

"Benny" > wrote in message
>I made this one earlier today :
>
> http://cook.dannemann.org.uk/cooking/mains/pizza/
>
> Ingredients for the piazzaiola (the tomato stuff to cover the base)
> one onion
> 3 tablespoons olive oil
> 1/2 clove of garlic
> 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
> 1 teaspoon oregano
> a couple of leafs of fresh basil
> 1/4 teaspoon of salt
> a pinch of freshly ground pepper
>
> This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
> use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste very
> acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the flavour of
> cheese and toppings, someone that's got a mild tomatoe flavour. Any
> suggestions?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Subject : Looking For A 'Non Acidid' Tomato Sauce Recipe for Pizza
> From : anon >

> Much of your acidity may be coming from the onion. You might try

using a
> sweet onion such as Vidalia or Spanish onion. Cut / dice it into

quarter
> inch thick pieces and then sweat it over low heat with some olive oil

for
> about 20 - 30 minutes to until the onions are just starting to take

little
> color and caramelize. If you taste them at that point they should be
> naturally sweet.

What about using red onions, would they give a similar taste?

> Also, "chopped tomatoes" may vary in acid content. The ones I use

are not
> tart / acid at all. I prefer whole tomatoes, crushed right in the

pan with
> a potato masher, but crushed tomatoes are very good too.

Do I just pop them in a frying pan with olive oil?

> Also, try leaving out the salt. At the least, don't just add it

blindly.
> Try the sauce without it, then add a little pinch and, without stirring,
> taste the spot where you added the salt to see if you like it better

or not.

Will do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Benny > wrote:

> I made this one earlier today :
>
> http://cook.dannemann.org.uk/cooking/mains/pizza/
>
> Ingredients for the piazzaiola (the tomato stuff to cover the base)
> one onion
> 3 tablespoons olive oil
> 1/2 clove of garlic
> 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
> 1 teaspoon oregano
> a couple of leafs of fresh basil
> 1/4 teaspoon of salt
> a pinch of freshly ground pepper
>
> This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
> use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste
> very acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the
> flavour of cheese and toppings, someone that's got a mild tomatoe
> flavour. Any suggestions?

That's the classic sauce for pizza. Shouldn't overpower any toppings.
If it's just too tart you could add a bit of sugar, but, I would use
imported Italian tomatoes. Most brands I've tried pack a riper tomato.

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 5:12 pm, Benny > wrote:
> I made this one earlier today :
>
> http://cook.dannemann.org.uk/cooking/mains/pizza/
>
> Ingredients for the piazzaiola (the tomato stuff to cover the base)
> one onion
> 3 tablespoons olive oil
> 1/2 clove of garlic
> 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
> 1 teaspoon oregano
> a couple of leafs of fresh basil
> 1/4 teaspoon of salt
> a pinch of freshly ground pepper
>
> This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
> use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste
> very acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the
> flavour of cheese and toppings, someone that's got a mild tomatoe
> flavour. Any suggestions?

Nice.

Why not buy a bag of tomatoes and make your own sauce.

a little sugar, a little time, you like garlic, toss some... leafy
herbs in..

I guess you'd want to remove the skins.

Any sauce that comes in a can is gonna be acidic, courtesy of the
concentrate found in the sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"anon" wrote:
> Much of your acidity may be coming from the onion.

Onions are not acidic, onions are sweet. Onions contain substantial
sugar, which is why they can be readily caramelized. To reduce
acidity of tomnato sauce add more onion.

Now get your ignorant offensive anon ass out of here, you just **** up
a cooking group with your know nothing pontificating bullshit... you
pitiful dumb shit.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Benny > wrote:

> very acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the
> flavour of cheese and toppings, someone that's got a mild tomatoe
> flavour. Any suggestions?

You can reduce the acidity of the tomatoes with the addition of a bit of
baking soda while heating the tomatoes. Not too much - a bare dusting.
Stir and watch it bubble.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com - Comfort Food for Bob Pastorio, updated

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Benny wrote on 27 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> > needs way more garlic to add sweetness at least 2 cloves.

> Garlic adds sweetness?!?!

get some garlic juice on your fingers...notice how they become sticky...it
adds sweetness there are sugars in garlic.

> > Where's the marjaram and or fennel?

> I've never heard of marjaram so it maybe hard to get. How much fennel
> should I use?

Marjoram is a very nice spice used in Italian spice blends...Availible in
supermarkets in Canada so I suspect it is availible in the UK.
Info in the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjoram

as to the fennel seeds add a little say 1/4 tsp then taste... adjust
accordingly.

> > Since tomatoes in themselves are acidic by nature...I suggest adding

> > very small pinch of baking soda to your recipe to effect the PH.

> Definitly
> > less that 1/8 tsp. Remember small pinch to start with...you can

> always add
> > more but you can't remove it if you add too much. The baking soda

will
> > nuetralize the acidity of the sauce taking the bite out of the sharp
> > acidic taste of the tomatoes.

> Noted

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Benny > wrote:

> I made this one earlier today :
>
> http://cook.dannemann.org.uk/cooking/mains/pizza/
>
> Ingredients for the piazzaiola (the tomato stuff to cover the base)
> one onion
> 3 tablespoons olive oil
> 1/2 clove of garlic
> 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
> 1 teaspoon oregano
> a couple of leafs of fresh basil
> 1/4 teaspoon of salt
> a pinch of freshly ground pepper
>
> This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
> use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste
> very acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the
> flavour of cheese and toppings, someone that's got a mild tomatoe
> flavour. Any suggestions?

If you don't want acidic, forget tomatoes.

Period.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Benny wrote:
> >
> > This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
> > use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste
> > very acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the
> > flavour of cheese and toppings

> Substitute pureed beet root for tomato.

Are you serious? :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Benny" > wrote in message
>I made this one earlier today :
>
> http://cook.dannemann.org.uk/cooking/mains/pizza/
>
> Ingredients for the piazzaiola (the tomato stuff to cover the base)
> one onion
> 3 tablespoons olive oil
> 1/2 clove of garlic
> 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
> 1 teaspoon oregano
> a couple of leafs of fresh basil
> 1/4 teaspoon of salt
> a pinch of freshly ground pepper
>
> This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
> use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste very
> acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the flavour of
> cheese and toppings, someone that's got a mild tomatoe flavour. Any
> suggestions?

Although to my tastes, it would remove the soul of the sauce, you could try
eliminating the oregano. That herb lends a certain sharpness to the flavor,
which may increase the illusion of acidity, per your taste buds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
>> Benny wrote:
>>> This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
>>> use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste
>>> very acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the
>>> flavour of cheese and toppings

>> Substitute pureed beet root for tomato.

> Are you serious? :-)

Could be, some of the "industrial" pizzas I have tasted definitely have
a red sauce and almost no tomato taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 5:12 pm, Benny > wrote:
> I made this one earlier today :
>
> http://cook.dannemann.org.uk/cooking/mains/pizza/
>
> Ingredients for the piazzaiola (the tomato stuff to cover the base)
> one onion
> 3 tablespoons olive oil
> 1/2 clove of garlic
> 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
> 1 teaspoon oregano
> a couple of leafs of fresh basil
> 1/4 teaspoon of salt
> a pinch of freshly ground pepper
>
> This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
> use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste
> very acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the
> flavour of cheese and toppings, someone that's got a mild tomatoe
> flavour. Any suggestions?

I usually add a teensy bit of sugar to a tomato sauce for Italian
dishes - no more than a teaspoon in your case. You might try it.

Tomatoes ARE acid - can't get any that aren't. I'm always looking for
more flavor, not less, so I'd guess that if you go with a greenhouse-
grown fresh one, it wouldn't taste so acidic. Just a guess, though.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Subject : Looking For A 'Non Acidid' Tomato Sauce Recipe for Pizza
> From : Nancy2 >

> I usually add a teensy bit of sugar to a tomato sauce for Italian
> dishes - no more than a teaspoon in your case. You might try it.
>
> Tomatoes ARE acid - can't get any that aren't. I'm always looking for
> more flavor, not less, so I'd guess that if you go with a greenhouse-
> grown fresh one, it wouldn't taste so acidic. Just a guess, though.
>
> N.

I managed to rescue the tomato sauce. I had enough left over for one
pizza. I cut a red pepper in half and grilled it for 15 minutes. I then
put it in a plastic food bag to cool before removing the skin. I used a
hand blender to mash the pepper and mixed it into the tomato sauce, made
a pizza and it was delicious, with the sweet pepper taste coming through
as opposed to the acidic tomato and the best thing is the kids can no
longer pick the pepper off the pizza.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Subject : Looking For A 'Non Acidid' Tomato Sauce Recipe for Pizza
> From : l, not -l >

> You might try skipping the tomato sauce altogether and used pureed,

roasted
> red pepper sauce. Google "roasted red pepper sauce" and you'll find

plenty
> of recipes to try.

I think I'll try that. It's considerably less time consuming than making
a traditional tomato sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 28, 7:52 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> Benny > wrote:
> > I made this one earlier today :

> >http://cook.dannemann.org.uk/cooking/mains/pizza/

> > Ingredients for the piazzaiola (the tomato stuff to cover the base)
> > one onion
> > 3 tablespoons olive oil
> > 1/2 clove of garlic
> > 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
> > 1 teaspoon oregano
> > a couple of leafs of fresh basil
> > 1/4 teaspoon of salt
> > a pinch of freshly ground pepper

> > This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
> > use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste
> > very acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the
> > flavour of cheese and toppings, someone that's got a mild tomatoe
> > flavour. Any suggestions?

> If you don't want acidic, forget tomatoes.
>
> Period.

can't he just buy them fresh and cook them down?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 6:12 pm, Benny > wrote:
> I made this one earlier today :
>
> http://cook.dannemann.org.uk/cooking/mains/pizza/
>
> Ingredients for the piazzaiola (the tomato stuff to cover the base)
> one onion
> 3 tablespoons olive oil
> 1/2 clove of garlic
> 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
> 1 teaspoon oregano
> a couple of leafs of fresh basil
> 1/4 teaspoon of salt
> a pinch of freshly ground pepper
>
> This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
> use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste
> very acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the
> flavour of cheese and toppings, someone that's got a mild tomatoe
> flavour. Any suggestions?

There are a number of things you can try - not all at once, tho :-))

Add a minced small carrot.
Use one sweet red pepper from a canned/jarred. (I prefer jarred)
Make sure you use a sweet onion, or use less onion for that amount of
tomatoes.
Use a pinch of sugar in the tomato sauce
Use marjoram instead of oregano

The expensive way is to buy a can of San Marzano tomatoes.
But then, they might be too mild for some, and I'd not add too much
oregano to detract from the mildness
Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Benny > wrote:

> I made this one earlier today :
>
> http://cook.dannemann.org.uk/cooking/mains/pizza/
>
> Ingredients for the piazzaiola (the tomato stuff to cover the base)
> one onion
> 3 tablespoons olive oil
> 1/2 clove of garlic
> 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
> 1 teaspoon oregano
> a couple of leafs of fresh basil
> 1/4 teaspoon of salt
> a pinch of freshly ground pepper
>
> This is one of several similar sauces I have tried so far, all of which
> use chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil, and I find the sauces taste
> very acidic. I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower the
> flavour of cheese and toppings, someone that's got a mild tomatoe
> flavour. Any suggestions?

Cook it longer -- lots longer.

I have, in desperation, sprinkled a bit of sodium bicarbonate into a
too-sharp tomato sauce at the last minute. Be careful; too much will add
a not-nice flavor.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Add sweet basil instead of oregano
--
Laura

-Sautéed poo is still poo!

Come join us at The Dirty Old Ladies and The Dirty Old Men! Be the adult your
mother was afraid you would be!!

-"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The expensive way is to buy a can of San Marzano tomatoes.
> But then, they might be too mild for some, and I'd not add too much
> oregano to detract from the mildness
> Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In an earlier response I suggested using sweet onions and slowly sweating
them to reduce the acidity of the final sauce. A poster rather rudely
suggested that onions are sweet and do not contain acid.

The sulfur compounds in onions form a weak sulfuric acid when they are cut -
this is what causes eyes to tear. There are also other acids in them as
well. Slow sweating allows a lot of these acids to evaporate and the sugars
to caramelize.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Subject : Looking For A 'Non Acidid' Tomato Sauce Recipe for Pizza

I made another batch of sauce this time I left out the oregano, used one
clove of garlic (instead of the recommended half), added a tiny pinch of
baking soda and left it to simmer for 30 minutes. I then added 1.5
grilled peppers and used a hand blender to mash everything and it's had
the opposite effect i.e. the flavour doesn't come through under the
pizza topping. Bloody typical. Next time I'll leave out the oregano and
baking soda and only use one pepper and half a clove of garlic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 29, 4:50 pm, Benny > wrote:
> > Subject : Looking For A 'Non Acidid' Tomato Sauce Recipe for Pizza

> I made another batch of sauce this time I left out the oregano, used one
> clove of garlic (instead of the recommended half), added a tiny pinch of
> baking soda and left it to simmer for 30 minutes. I then added 1.5
> grilled peppers and used a hand blender to mash everything and it's had
> the opposite effect i.e. the flavour doesn't come through under the
> pizza topping. Bloody typical. Next time I'll leave out the oregano and
> baking soda and only use one pepper and half a clove of garlic.

Tomato paste has a very strong tomato flavor. Try adding
some.

Cindy Hamilton