Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2008-04-16) New survey on the RFC site: Tofu... love it or hateit?

http://www.recfoodcooking.com

I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo' because it
reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even I am tempted to try her
recipe <grin>.

BTW, apologies in advance for 'stealing' your idea to use for a survey,
Serene ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Is that chip on your shoulder edible?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:48:39 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
>I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo' because it
>reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even I am tempted to try her
>recipe <grin>.
>
>BTW, apologies in advance for 'stealing' your idea to use for a survey,
>Serene ;-)

I got the #1 spot, but I don't need any more hats so #2 can have it.
I'll find a picture of the type hats I like. <g>

I played around with tofu when the youngest went veggie. Not too
many things I dislike but tofu sucks.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss said...

> I got the #1 spot, but I don't need any more hats so #2 can have it.
> I'll find a picture of the type hats I like. <g>
>
> I played around with tofu when the youngest went veggie. Not too
> many things I dislike but tofu sucks.
>
> Lou

I was Voter #2 and I too have too many hats. Let #3 have it.

Never tried tofu and never will.

Andy
Voter #2

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Lou Decruss said...
>
>> I got the #1 spot, but I don't need any more hats so #2 can have it.
>> I'll find a picture of the type hats I like. <g>
>>
>> I played around with tofu when the youngest went veggie. Not too
>> many things I dislike but tofu sucks.
>>
>> Lou

> I was Voter #2 and I too have too many hats. Let #3 have it.

Heh. You and Lou are far too generous ;-)

> Never tried tofu and never will.

I did at least try tofu a few times, Andy. What puts you off it, care
to share? Just curious.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Is that chip on your shoulder edible?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> I got the #1 spot, but I don't need any more hats so #2 can have it.
> I'll find a picture of the type hats I like. <g>

Too generous of you, like I told Andy LOL!

> I played around with tofu when the youngest went veggie. Not too
> many things I dislike but tofu sucks.

I've tried it a few times, didn't like it. DH remembers something along
the lines of 'deep fried ginger tofu' that was available in the
'canteen' when he was back at 'varsity... We've tried to make it
ourselves a few times, but it never came out the way he remembered it,
and I'm no help because I am not keen on it either. The damn stuff is
only available at a few select asian markets 'round here and it's pretty
expensive, IMHO - well at least here it is.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Is that chip on your shoulder edible?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo' because it
> reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even I am tempted to try her
> recipe <grin>.
>
> BTW, apologies in advance for 'stealing' your idea to use for a survey,
> Serene ;-)
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> Is that chip on your shoulder edible?

Tofu is good when prepared properly... Attempts to use it to imitate
other foods do not count as prepared properly IMNSHO.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete wrote on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:34:59 GMT:

PC> ChattyCathy wrote:
??>>
??>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
??>>
??>> I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo'
??>> because it reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even
??>> I am tempted to try her recipe <grin>.
??>>
??>> BTW, apologies in advance for 'stealing' your idea to use
??>> for a survey, Serene ;-) -- Cheers Chatty Cathy
??>>
??>> Is that chip on your shoulder edible?

This subject is one where "de gustibus" must apply.
Having said that, I should shut up but I can't resist.

IMHO, I have yet to detect a taste or texture in plain tofu tho'
the fried
stuff has a little. Freeze-dried tofu is a bit of an improvement
and the
Japanese once made that naturally on farms by using the
difference in night and day temperatures. Marinated, baked tofu
gains a little texture but the taste is that of the marinade!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in news:ysnNj.22995$zw1.19771
@fe111.usenetserver.com:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo' because it
> reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even I am tempted to try her
> recipe <grin>.

Don't know about that, but we had a stir fry the other night. Used one
chooken boob, and a 4"x4"x2" square of 'spicy' marinated tofu.

Quite nice.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"Thirty seven years ago, a Quarter Master, nearly knocked me over as he
thrust an L1A1 SLR into my hands and bellowed, "Keep that Rifle in Tip Top
Order so you can Kill your Countries Enemies with it before they Kill You.
These days, I do not have to visit exotic overseas countries as my
Countries Enemies are seen wallowing around our seats of government, they
guzzle and cavort at the Public trough so deeply they make Caligula and
Nero look like Church choir boys."

Mr Ron Owen, 2000, in a letter to then Premier Olsen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo' because it
> reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even I am tempted to try her
> recipe <grin>.
>
> BTW, apologies in advance for 'stealing' your idea to use for a survey,
> Serene ;-)

I don't mind Tofu. It has the texture of snot and tastes like two thirds of
nothing. It goes well with some nice flavourful soups where it has a chance
to absorb some taste. But mayo????? It is bad enough that most of us are
only familiar with the commercially made stuff which pales in comparison to
home made, but mayo is made with eggs and oil, a with a little mustard,
salt, pepper and lemon juice. A mayo-like sauce made with tofu would be a
tofu sauce, and that is not very appealing to me. You need a sauce to
flavour tofu, not a tofu sauce to flavour something else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in newsWnNj.23379$zw1.917
@fe111.usenetserver.com:

> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> I got the #1 spot, but I don't need any more hats so #2 can have it.
>> I'll find a picture of the type hats I like. <g>

> Too generous of you, like I told Andy LOL!
>>
>> I played around with tofu when the youngest went veggie. Not too
>> many things I dislike but tofu sucks.

> I've tried it a few times, didn't like it. DH remembers something

along
> the lines of 'deep fried ginger tofu' that was available in the
> 'canteen' when he was back at 'varsity... We've tried to make it
> ourselves a few times, but it never came out the way he remembered it,
> and I'm no help because I am not keen on it either. The damn stuff is
> only available at a few select asian markets 'round here and it's

pretty
> expensive, IMHO - well at least here it is.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marinated-Tofu/Detail.aspx

:-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"Thirty seven years ago, a Quarter Master, nearly knocked me over as he
thrust an L1A1 SLR into my hands and bellowed, "Keep that Rifle in Tip
Top Order so you can Kill your Countries Enemies with it before they
Kill You. These days, I do not have to visit exotic overseas countries
as my Countries Enemies are seen wallowing around our seats of
government, they guzzle and cavort at the Public trough so deeply they
make Caligula and Nero look like Church choir boys."

Mr Ron Owen, 2000, in a letter to then Premier Olsen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> Andy wrote:

>> Never tried tofu and never will.

> I did at least try tofu a few times, Andy. What puts you off it, care
> to share? Just curious.

Cathy,

It's probably more my perception of it being used as a filler food than much
else?

I know it's nutritious stuff! Alas...

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-04-16, Dave Smith > wrote:

> tofu sauce, and that is not very appealing to me. You need a sauce to
> flavour tofu, not a tofu sauce to flavour something else.

What? You saying tofu tofu is not a valid use of tofu? Spray a little
Round Up on it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-04-16, Andy <q> wrote:

> It's probably more my perception of it being used as a filler food than much
> else?
>
> I know it's nutritious stuff! Alas...

Actually, it's mutant filler food. If Monsanto has its way, you'll be
paying them royalties for the priveledge of eating it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas wrote:
> ChattyCathy > wrote in newsWnNj.23379$zw1.917
> @fe111.usenetserver.com:

>> I've tried it a few times, didn't like it. DH remembers something

> along
>> the lines of 'deep fried ginger tofu' that was available in the
>> 'canteen' when he was back at 'varsity... We've tried to make it
>> ourselves a few times, but it never came out the way he remembered it,
>> and I'm no help because I am not keen on it either. The damn stuff is
>> only available at a few select asian markets 'round here and it's

> pretty
>> expensive, IMHO - well at least here it is.

> http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marinated-Tofu/Detail.aspx
> >

> :-)

DH may well like this... Thanks, Peter...but the one he was telling me
about was soaked in some sort of 'ginger sauce' - along the lines of
that sweet-ish stuff they use for 'pickled ginger' (gari), i.e. a
solution of rice wine or vinegar and sugar?
--

Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Is that chip on your shoulder edible?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
. ..
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo' because it
> reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even I am tempted to try her
> recipe <grin>.
>
> BTW, apologies in advance for 'stealing' your idea to use for a survey,
> Serene ;-)
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I am reminded of the " A Place for Everything and Everything in Its Place"
there is no question that Tofu belongs in many Asian dishes and cuisine. I
don't think one can make Buddha's Delight without it. I even love the Tofu
served in the bento box. But for goodness sakes I am convinced man can live
using Best Foods (Hellman's) alone and never try 'tofu mayo'. Yuk!

Dimitri

12 large dried black mushrooms (3 oz)
5 cups boiling-hot water plus additional for soaking bean curd skins
2 dried bean curd skins (2 oz total)
1/2 lb fresh or thawed frozen large bamboo shoots
2 to 3 oz very thin bean thread noodles (2 small skeins; also known as
cellophane, glass, or mung bean noodles)
1 (1/2-lb) firm fresh tofu cake, or 1/2 cake from a 14- to 16-oz package,
rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
1 (1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and very thinly sliced 2 garlic
cloves, chopped
1/2 cup peeled shelled fresh or frozen ginkgo nuts
1/3 cup vegetarian oyster sauce
1/4 cup light soy sauce (preferably Pearl River Bridge brand)
1/4 cup Chinese rice wine (preferably Shaoxing) or medium-dry Sherry
3/4 teaspoon sugar
2 cups fresh soybean sprouts (1/4 lb)
2 romaine hearts, trimmed and quartered lengthwise, then cut into 2-inch
pieces (6 cups)

Preparation
Soak mushrooms in 5 cups boiling-hot water in a bowl, keeping them submerged
with a small plate and turning mushrooms over occasionally, until softened
and cool enough to handle, about 30 minutes. Squeeze excess liquid from caps
back into bowl and reserve liquid, then cut out and discard stems from
mushrooms. Cut caps into 1-inch wedges.

While mushrooms soak, carefully break bean curd skins in half crosswise,
then halve each portion crosswise again. Transfer to a bowl, then add enough
boiling-hot water to cover and soak, turning occasionally, until softened,
about 30 minutes.

If using fresh bamboo, trim bottoms of shoots, then halve shoots lengthwise
with a sharp heavy knife. Pull off and discard leaves from shoots, then
remove any blemishes with a sharp paring knife (don't worry about natural
dotted pattern along base of shoots).

Cover fresh or frozen bamboo with cold water by 1 inch in a 2-quart saucepan
and bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes, then drain in a colander and rinse
under cold water. Repeat boiling and rinsing, then arrange bamboo halves,
cut sides down, on a cutting board and cut bamboo lengthwise into
1/4-inch-thick slices.

Soak noodles in cold water to cover until softened, about 5 minutes, then
drain in colander and transfer to a bowl.

Drain bean curd skins in colander. When cool enough to handle, squeeze dry
and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces.

Halve tofu lengthwise, then cut each half crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick
slices.

Heat oil in a 5- to 6-quart wide heavy pot over moderate heat until hot but
not smoking. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add
mushrooms, bean curd skins, bamboo, and ginkgo nuts and cook, stirring, 2
minutes. Stir in oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice wine, and sugar and simmer 1
minute. Add reserved mushroom-soaking liquid and bring to a boil. Gently
stir in tofu and soybean sprouts, then reduce heat to low and simmer,
covered, 15 minutes. Gently stir in noodles and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
Add romaine hearts (pot will be full) and turn to coat, then simmer,
covered, until romaine is tender, about 5 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> ChattyCathy said...
>
>> Andy wrote:

>>> Never tried tofu and never will.

>> I did at least try tofu a few times, Andy. What puts you off it, care
>> to share? Just curious.

> Cathy,
>
> It's probably more my perception of it being used as a filler food than much
> else?
>
> I know it's nutritious stuff! Alas...

Ah. I think I see where you're coming from.... but, but, but, what about
pasta - without sauce of some kind, that's just a 'filler' too, IMHO <lol>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Is that chip on your shoulder edible?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Pete wrote on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:34:59 GMT:
>

> PC> ChattyCathy wrote:
> ??>>
> ??>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> ??>>
> ??>> I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo'
> ??>> because it reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even
> ??>> I am tempted to try her recipe <grin>.
> ??>>
> ??>> BTW, apologies in advance for 'stealing' your idea to use
> ??>> for a survey, Serene ;-) -- Cheers Chatty Cathy
> ??>>
> ??>> Is that chip on your shoulder edible?
>
> This subject is one where "de gustibus" must apply.
> Having said that, I should shut up but I can't resist.
>
> IMHO, I have yet to detect a taste or texture in plain tofu tho' the fried
> stuff has a little.

I used the firm tofu in a stir fry to show my niece who is trying
vegetarianism, over Christmas vacation. I just made the usual fried
rice but with tofu instead of shrimp or pork. It was acceptable. Not
great. If it helps her get what she needs nutritionally, great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2008-04-16, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > tofu sauce, and that is not very appealing to me. You need a sauce to
> > flavour tofu, not a tofu sauce to flavour something else.

> What? You saying tofu tofu is not a valid use of tofu? Spray a little
> Round Up on it.

ToFuDee :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob said...

> On 2008-04-16, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> It's probably more my perception of it being used as a filler food than
>> much else?
>>
>> I know it's nutritious stuff! Alas...

> Actually, it's mutant filler food. If Monsanto has its way, you'll be
> paying them royalties for the priveledge of eating it.
>
> nb

nb,

I DID think about "Monsantofu"!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
> > Pete wrote on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:34:59 GMT:
> >

> > PC> ChattyCathy wrote:
> > ??>>
> > ??>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> > ??>>
> > ??>> I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo'
> > ??>> because it reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even
> > ??>> I am tempted to try her recipe <grin>.
> > ??>>
> > ??>> BTW, apologies in advance for 'stealing' your idea to use
> > ??>> for a survey, Serene ;-) -- Cheers Chatty Cathy
> > ??>>
> > ??>> Is that chip on your shoulder edible?
> >
> > This subject is one where "de gustibus" must apply.
> > Having said that, I should shut up but I can't resist.
> >
> > IMHO, I have yet to detect a taste or texture in plain tofu tho' the fried
> > stuff has a little.

> I used the firm tofu in a stir fry to show my niece who is trying
> vegetarianism, over Christmas vacation. I just made the usual fried
> rice but with tofu instead of shrimp or pork. It was acceptable. Not
> great. If it helps her get what she needs nutritionally, great.

It helps if you batter the tofu first and stir fry it to a nice
crispiness. Using marinated or pre seasoned tofu also is nice. I usually
do tofu in my stir fry, but along with shrimp and pork.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> > ChattyCathy said...

> >> I did at least try tofu a few times, Andy. What puts you off it, care
> >> to share? Just curious.

> > Cathy,
> >
> > It's probably more my perception of it being used as a filler food than
> > much
> > else?
> >
> > I know it's nutritious stuff! Alas...

> Ah. I think I see where you're coming from.... but, but, but, what about
> pasta - without sauce of some kind, that's just a 'filler' too, IMHO <lol>

Somebody in the Ikea thread was complaining about how bland the boiled
potatoes were. I couldn't believe that. Then I thought, maybe they are
eating them *plain*?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> >
> > I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo' because it
> > reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even I am tempted to try her
> > recipe <grin>.
> >
> > BTW, apologies in advance for 'stealing' your idea to use for a
> > survey, Serene ;-)

> Wow, so far none of us LOVE it??? I'm laughing on my chair right now. :~)
> I do like it. I like it *in* things. I like it fried. I like it soaked
> with a bit of shoyu and garlic eaten raw. I like it in stir-fry. But love
> it, nah. Well, okay, it's a must in miso soup; it's the first thing that I
> eat out of the bowl. Honestly, I've ordered mock chicken salad with tofu in
> place of the chicken and I'm sorry; it's just not the same thing as the real
> deal. Wasn't bad, but it wasn't the same "tooth", if that makes any sense.
> I want to chew my food, not just mush it around in my mouth.
>
> kili

I'm not sure it's possible to "love" an ingredient that has little
flavor on it's own. It would be rather like "loving" all purpose flour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete wrote on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:11:57 -0500:

??>> "James Silverton" > wrote in
??>> message news:xeoNj.9244$XF3.1045@trnddc04...
??>>> Pete wrote on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:34:59 GMT:
??>>>
> [...]
??>>>>>
??>> ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

PC> cybercat wrote:It helps if you batter the tofu first and
PC> stir fry it to a nicecrispiness. Using marinated or pre
PC> seasoned tofu also is nice. I usuallydo tofu in my stir
PC> fry, but along with shrimp and pork.

Yes, fried batter tastes good even if it is greasy: think of
hush puppies!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> notbob said...
>
>> On 2008-04-16, Andy <q> wrote:
>>
>>> It's probably more my perception of it being used as a filler food than
>>> much else?
>>>
>>> I know it's nutritious stuff! Alas...

>> Actually, it's mutant filler food. If Monsanto has its way, you'll be
>> paying them royalties for the priveledge of eating it.
>>
>> nb

> nb,
>
> I DID think about "Monsantofu"!!!

Tofu is Soylent Off-White.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
news
> On 2008-04-16, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> tofu sauce, and that is not very appealing to me. You need a sauce to
>> flavour tofu, not a tofu sauce to flavour something else.

> What? You saying tofu tofu is not a valid use of tofu? Spray a little
> Round Up on it.

nb, they're going to take away your California residency if you don't stop
bad mouthing tofu :-)
I actually love the stuff - I was one of the two - I'll snack on it lightly
salted, or sprinkled with whatever seasoning. I agree with the poster who
said that it shouldn't be used to imitate meat. It ain't meat, and no
gussying up is gonna turn this particular <ahem> sow's ear into a silk
purse. I do like it fried, either deep or lightly. Our local natural foods
co-op sells a commercially prepared BBQ sauced tofu that is divine in both
flavor and texture. Deborah Madison, predictably, has a cookbook devoted to
tofu recipes. I have it, like it, and use it often.

YMM of course V.

TammyM, native Californicator :^)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo' because it
> reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even I am tempted to try her
> recipe <grin>.

Hee! I don't think people who really dislike tofu will like it, but
I sure would be curious to see if any tofu-haters do make it and try it.

> BTW, apologies in advance for 'stealing' your idea to use for a survey,
> Serene ;-)

Are you kidding me? Apologies for contributing actual content to the
newsgroup? You should get a *medal*. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> Somebody in the Ikea thread was complaining about how bland the boiled
> potatoes were. I couldn't believe that. Then I thought, maybe they are
> eating them *plain*?

I'm a freak. I love plain boiled potatoes, hot or cold. Sometimes I
make extra to keep in the fridge and just snack on.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>> Pete wrote on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:34:59 GMT:
>>

>> PC> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> ??>>
>> ??>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>> ??>>
>> ??>> I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo' ??>>
>> because it reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even ??>> I am
>> tempted to try her recipe <grin>. ??>>
>> ??>> BTW, apologies in advance for 'stealing' your idea to use ??>> for
>> a survey, Serene ;-) -- Cheers Chatty Cathy ??>>
>> ??>> Is that chip on your shoulder edible?
>>
>> This subject is one where "de gustibus" must apply. Having said that, I
>> should shut up but I can't resist.
>>
>> IMHO, I have yet to detect a taste or texture in plain tofu tho' the
>> fried stuff has a little.

> I used the firm tofu in a stir fry to show my niece who is trying
> vegetarianism, over Christmas vacation. I just made the usual fried rice
> but with tofu instead of shrimp or pork. It was acceptable. Not great. If
> it helps her get what she needs nutritionally, great.

tofu n. a substance that is best used when sent to countries where
there is famine, because it's rumored to be more healthful than eating
dirt and bugs even though it's not as tasty

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
[tofu]
> it tastes like hard boiled eggwhites and has the same consistency.
> It's not bad, but it's rather bland. It's much better if it's marinated, in
> a soup, or in a dish like fried rice.

You can do all kinds of things with the texture, too. Frying it or
freezing/thawing makes it more "meaty" -- chewy, with a texture
meat-eaters seem to prefer. Also, pressing all the water out and
using extra-firm tofu makes a texture that my carnivorous family
likes a lot better than soft.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo' because it
>> reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even I am tempted to try her
>> recipe <grin>.
>>
>> BTW, apologies in advance for 'stealing' your idea to use for a survey,
>> Serene ;-)

> I don't mind Tofu. It has the texture of snot and tastes like two thirds
> of nothing.

And I get enough snot with my okra.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
>> I got the #1 spot, but I don't need any more hats so #2 can have it.
>> I'll find a picture of the type hats I like. <g>

> Too generous of you, like I told Andy LOL!
>> I played around with tofu when the youngest went veggie. Not too
>> many things I dislike but tofu sucks.

> I've tried it a few times, didn't like it. DH remembers something along
> the lines of 'deep fried ginger tofu' that was available in the
> 'canteen' when he was back at 'varsity... We've tried to make it
> ourselves a few times, but it never came out the way he remembered it,
> and I'm no help because I am not keen on it either. The damn stuff is
> only available at a few select asian markets 'round here and it's pretty
> expensive, IMHO - well at least here it is.

Here, it's a really cheap protein source. Five servings for around a
dollar.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
[tofu]
> I've had it deep fried before and it was awesome. I tried to make it at
> home with no success.

Did you press it first? It takes a while to brown when deep-frying,
and even longer if you don't press the water out first.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo' because it
>> reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even I am tempted to try her
>> recipe <grin>.
>>
>> BTW, apologies in advance for 'stealing' your idea to use for a
>> survey, Serene ;-)

> Wow, so far none of us LOVE it??? I'm laughing on my chair right now. :~)

Well, I love it, and apparently, so do 2 other people. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:35:28 -0700:

S> kilikini wrote:
S> [tofu]
??>> it tastes like hard boiled eggwhites and has the same
??>> consistency. It's not bad, but it's rather bland. It's
??>> much better if it's marinated, in a soup, or in a dish
??>> like fried rice.

S> You can do all kinds of things with the texture, too.
S> Frying it or freezing/thawing makes it more "meaty" --
S> chewy, with a texture meat-eaters seem to prefer. Also,
S> pressing all the water out and using extra-firm tofu makes a
S> texture that my carnivorous family likes a lot better than
S> soft.

In the bad old days, if refreshments were served at a Ceilidh
(Irish concert) they were liable to be just boiled potatoes.
They can be improved but I agree they are not bad at all if you
are hungry, hot or cold with a litlle salt.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tofu... love it or hate it?

Pete C. wrote:

> I'm not sure it's possible to "love" an ingredient that has little
> flavor on its own. It would be rather like "loving" all purpose flour.

That says it well. Tofu is more of a background ingredient than the
star of the show. In many dishes, you'd notice if it was gone the way
you'd notice if the singer's backup band was missing the drum section.

Now I'll add a complication: soft and firm.

Soft or silken tofu is best for mayonnaise and sweets. I hate it in
those. If I can't get a real custard, I'm better off without it than
with a tofu substitute.

Firm tofu gets a chewy consistency when the water is squeezed out of it
and it's frozen overnight. Then it absorbs flavors well and is good in
stirfries with tamari, ginger, garlic, tomato paste, lemon juice.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 16, 6:48*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo' because it
> reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even I am tempted to try her
> recipe <grin>.

Which tofu? Regular/medium, firm, extra firm, silken, soft? Deep-
fried tofu?
Fermented/preserved bean curd? Pressed tofu?

Of the thousands of recipes that use tofu, I very much like five or
six dishes that include tofu as a major ingredient. Is that the same
as liking plain tofu by itself?

Never mind, as is so often the case, just mark mcinl..... -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:45:43 -0700, aem wrote:

> On Apr 16, 6:48*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> I am going to blame Serene's recent post about 'tofu mayo' because it
>> reminded me how much I dislike tofu - but even I am tempted to try her
>> recipe <grin>.

> Which tofu? Regular/medium, firm, extra firm, silken, soft? Deep-
> fried tofu?
> Fermented/preserved bean curd? Pressed tofu?
>
> Of the thousands of recipes that use tofu, I very much like five or
> six dishes that include tofu as a major ingredient. Is that the same
> as liking plain tofu by itself?
>
> Never mind, as is so often the case, just mark mcinl..... -aem

Never mind, as is so often the case, it's time to take the google group
poster out of my KF exception list.....
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Is that chip on your shoulder edible?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2008-04-16, TammyM > wrote:
>
> > nb, they're going to take away your California residency if you don't stop
> > bad mouthing tofu :-)

> It's the primary meat-sub in all those cheapo 7-11 burritos, but extra firm
> works pretty good for that when covered with so much spice/sauce you can't
> make it out. When I first moved to the SFBA, Safeway sold a version of
> fresh hamburger with 20% tofu added. It was cheap and the tofu was
> undetectable. I never did understand why they took it off the market. I
> think now is a good time to bring it back. You can keep that tofu jello
> crap. :\
>
> nb

I once made a hamburg mix with 50% tofu and a little seasoning which
passed undetected by some "Eeew tofu" types. They were rather surprised
when they found out and re-evaluated the "Eeew" status for tofu.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2008-04-16, TammyM > wrote:
>
>> nb, they're going to take away your California residency if you don't
>> stop
>> bad mouthing tofu :-)

> It's the primary meat-sub in all those cheapo 7-11 burritos, but extra
> firm
> works pretty good for that when covered with so much spice/sauce you can't
> make it out. When I first moved to the SFBA, Safeway sold a version of
> fresh hamburger with 20% tofu added. It was cheap and the tofu was
> undetectable. I never did understand why they took it off the market. I
> think now is a good time to bring it back. You can keep that tofu jello
> crap. :\

Or tofu "dogs" or soy cheese for that matter. Now I don't mind TVP
(textured vegetable <soy> protein). Rather like it in fact, it has its
usages. But I mean really, tofu sausage? Tofu bacon?

Not for me. YMMV, natch.

I like tofu for snacking, like it in stirfrys. I used to make a kind of
"scrambled eggs" dish with tofu that was pretty tasty. Not sure if I'd
bother now that the current wisdom says that eggs aren't the devil's nuts
anymore....

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> If I'm deep-frying, I press for 45 minutes between layers of paper towel
> or kitchen towel.

I take several layers of newspaper and put paper towels on top of them.
Then the tofu. Then more paper towels and newspaper on top. To
weight it down, I fill large pot with water. That presses the water out
of the tofu. There's minimal clean-up. Just throw away the paper
stuff, empty the water out of the pot, and the tofu is all pressed and
ready for using or freezing. The tofu only comes in contact with the
(clean) paper towels. The newspapers are absorbent-- and free.

--Lia