Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2008-02-12) New survey on the RFC site: Grits - love 'em or hate'em ?

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to kili for "inspiring" this one...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 6:21*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Thanks go to kili for "inspiring" this one...
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet. *- Fran Lebowitz

You should have added a "do you consider grits to be for breakfast
only or for other meals as well?"
And do you prefer white or "yaller" grits?

I prefer "yaller" grits..

T.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Thanks go to kili for "inspiring" this one...

> Oh my gosh, and I'm first!
>
> kili

Heh. You get to choose a TFH -

I doubt I'd 'do' grits either (well they sound the same as the stuff we
call 'mielie pap' here). Not even cheese and shrimp can make me eat them
LOL! I looked at your recipe and thought I could do the shrimp etc. over
some rice - and I'd enjoy that!
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tbs48 wrote:

> On Feb 12, 6:21 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Thanks go to kili for "inspiring" this one...
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy
> >
> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz

> You should have added a "do you consider grits to be for breakfast
> only or for other meals as well?"
> And do you prefer white or "yaller" grits?
>
> I prefer "yaller" grits..
>
> T.

They are certainly useable for meals beyond breakfast. They can be
pretty readily substituted for polenta too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tbs48 wrote:
> On Feb 12, 6:21 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Thanks go to kili for "inspiring" this one...

> You should have added a "do you consider grits to be for breakfast
> only or for other meals as well?"
> And do you prefer white or "yaller" grits?

There's a lot of things I should have done today, so I'll just add this
to my list, shall I?

> I prefer "yaller" grits..

Your prerogative, of course.
..--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> They are certainly useable for meals beyond breakfast. They can be
> pretty readily substituted for polenta too.

Well, our version of grits are served at any time of day in all sorts of
ways - I must be the one lone South African who doesn't like them. LOL!
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> http://www.recfo

Someday, at the right place, at the right time I'd love to try 'em!

I'm going out of my way, mind you!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> said...

> I'm going out of my way, mind you!

Edit: I'm NOT going...

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:

>>> Oh my gosh, and I'm first!
>>>
>>> kili
>>>

>> Heh. You get to choose a TFH -
>>
>> I doubt I'd 'do' grits either (well they sound the same as the stuff
>> we call 'mielie pap' here). Not even cheese and shrimp can make me
>> eat them LOL! I looked at your recipe and thought I could do the
>> shrimp etc. over some rice - and I'd enjoy that!

> I don't know which hat to choose. Is there a tiara?

There shore is... Got pink fluffy stuff on it too

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:21:29 +0200:

C> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

C> Thanks go to kili for "inspiring" this one...

Grits:

Sorry, I seem to be saying "Tried it once, didn't like it"
rather often these days! I haven't seen the acronym TIODLI used
before but it looks like it could be useful for me :-) :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

For this one, I needed a distinction between the yellow grits which are
like polenta and quite nice, and white grits which come out looking grey
and nasty and are hard to look at, much less eat.

This is one of those senseless gut things for me. I'm sure there's not
much difference between them, but yellow grits/polenta is a yummy treat
I only get now and then. Regular grits are something I wince at when I
see them in breakfast restaurants as we drive towards Florida.

On the other hand, seeing grits on menus is a comfortable reminder that
I'm heading towards my birthplace and the weather is getting warmer.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> For this one, I needed a distinction between the yellow grits which are
> like polenta and quite nice, and white grits which come out looking grey
> and nasty and are hard to look at, much less eat.
>
> This is one of those senseless gut things for me. I'm sure there's not
> much difference between them, but yellow grits/polenta is a yummy treat
> I only get now and then. Regular grits are something I wince at when I
> see them in breakfast restaurants as we drive towards Florida.
>
> On the other hand, seeing grits on menus is a comfortable reminder that
> I'm heading towards my birthplace and the weather is getting warmer.
>
> --Lia

If your white grits are grey, you have a problem. I've got white grits
in front of me at the moment and they definitely are not grey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:21:29 +0200:
>
> C> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> C> Thanks go to kili for "inspiring" this one...
>
> Grits:
>
> Sorry, I seem to be saying "Tried it once, didn't like it" rather often
> these days! I haven't seen the acronym TIODLI used before but it looks
> like it could be useful for me :-) :-)

LOL! I like it too. Might come in as useful as MCINL

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 7:20 am, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> For this one, I needed a distinction between the yellow grits which are
> like polenta and quite nice, and white grits which come out looking grey
> and nasty and are hard to look at, much less eat.

White grits are for mornings where their gossamer, snowy texture
matches the white of your basted eggs and contrasts with the darker
color of bacon or sausage. Stone-ground yellow grits are dinner
cuisine and if we could just come up with a continental-sounding name
like polenta, they'd be much more acceptable. Let's call them lalieu
as in Shrimp and Lalieu. Or Lalieu and Gravy. Or pass the Lalieu.
Just a thought. But consider how the fidgets became acceptable when we
renamed it RLS.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> For this one, I needed a distinction between the yellow grits which are
> like polenta and quite nice, and white grits which come out looking grey
> and nasty and are hard to look at, much less eat.
>
> This is one of those senseless gut things for me. I'm sure there's not
> much difference between them, but yellow grits/polenta is a yummy treat
> I only get now and then. Regular grits are something I wince at when I
> see them in breakfast restaurants as we drive towards Florida.
>
> On the other hand, seeing grits on menus is a comfortable reminder that
> I'm heading towards my birthplace and the weather is getting warmer.

I only had them once in a restaurant and I liked them. I liked them enough
to buy a box and cooked them at home. We can't get them here. It was odd to
have them with butter because they tasted so much like Cream of Wheat, which
I like, and which I am used to eating with milk and sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> tbs48 wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 12, 6:21 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>> >
>> > Thanks go to kili for "inspiring" this one...
>> > --
>> > Cheers
>> > Chatty Cathy
>> >
>> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz

>> You should have added a "do you consider grits to be for breakfast
>> only or for other meals as well?"
>> And do you prefer white or "yaller" grits?
>>
>> I prefer "yaller" grits..
>>
>> T.

> They are certainly useable for meals beyond breakfast. They can be
> pretty readily substituted for polenta too.

Or yellow grits for polenta? Aren't they the same thing -- just wondering.

DH likes grit just with butter. I prefer it with butter and maple syrple.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<q> wrote in message ...
> ChattyCathy said...
>
>> http://www.recfo

> Someday, at the right place, at the right time I'd love to try 'em!
>
> I'm going out of my way, mind you!
>
> Andy

Think 'cream of wheat' == then think 'cream of corn' and you've got it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> > tbs48 wrote:

> >> You should have added a "do you consider grits to be for breakfast
> >> only or for other meals as well?"
> >> And do you prefer white or "yaller" grits?
> >>
> >> I prefer "yaller" grits..
> >>
> >> T.

> > They are certainly useable for meals beyond breakfast. They can be
> > pretty readily substituted for polenta too.

> Or yellow grits for polenta? Aren't they the same thing -- just wondering.

I'm not a grit expert, but I believe the white and yellow grits are
pretty much the same thing (like white and yellow american cheese), and
polenta is a bit different though close enough for substitutions to work
ok in most cases.

> DH likes grit just with butter. I prefer it with butter and maple syrple.
> Dee Dee

I like my grits on the savory side. If I want sweet I switch to oatmeal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My dad cooks the white grits for a good while. Probably over
a half hour. He tosses in a lot of smoked sausage he has diced
and pre-cooked. Just at the end he tosses in a lot of cheese.
No shortage of salt either. The grits are really creamy and
taste great but they are really not healthy by the time he
tosses all that good stuff in. The grand kids always look
forward to eating breakfast with him. I guess if you doctor
up anything enough it will taste good.
Taria

Dee.Dee wrote:

> Think 'cream of wheat' == then think 'cream of corn' and you've got it.
> Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> Is this true because they are exactly the same?
>
> Corn Grits = Polenta. Polenta = Corn Grits.

I googled. It looks like there are some subtle differences in their
production. I'd say there was a difference in look and taste, but that
might be my imagination.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20021007.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polenta
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../hf/hf02a.html

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:59:29 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
>
> > tbs48 wrote:

> >> You should have added a "do you consider grits to be for breakfast
> >> only or for other meals as well?"
> >> And do you prefer white or "yaller" grits?
> >>
> >> I prefer "yaller" grits..
> >>
> >> T.

> > They are certainly useable for meals beyond breakfast. They can be
> > pretty readily substituted for polenta too.

> Is this true because they are exactly the same?
>
> Corn Grits = Polenta. Polenta = Corn Grits.

Not exactly, but very close.

From Wikipedia:

"Polenta is made with either coarsely, or finely ground dried yellow or
white cornmeal (ground maize), depending on the region and the texture
desired. "

and

"Polenta is very similar to corn grits, a common dish in the cuisine of
the Southern United States, with the difference that grits are usually
made from coarsely ground hominy (see nixtamalization, which is the
process of removing the hull from the kernel of the corn before
grinding). When properly cooked, grits and polenta have similarly smooth
textures, "grit" referring to the texture of the dried corn before
cooking."

and

"Nixtamalization is a process for the preparation of maize in which the
grain is soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually limewater,
and hulled. Maize subjected to the nixtamalization process has several
benefits over unprocessed grain for food preparation: it is more easily
ground; its nutritional value is increased; flavor and aroma are
improved; and mycotoxins are reduced."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> I'm not a grit expert, but I believe the white and yellow grits are
> pretty much the same thing (like white and yellow american cheese), and
> polenta is a bit different though close enough for substitutions to work
> ok in most cases.

Grits is made with hominy, which is the inner part of the corn seeds, and the
outer yellow part has been removed. Polenta has both parts.

> > DH likes grit just with butter. I prefer it with butter and maple syrple.
> > Dee Dee

> I like my grits on the savory side. If I want sweet I switch to oatmeal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:07:02 -0500:

??>> I'm not a grit expert, but I believe the white and yellow
??>> grits are pretty much the same thing (like white and
??>> yellow american cheese), and polenta is a bit different
??>> though close enough for substitutions to work ok in most
??>> cases.

DS> Grits is made with hominy, which is the inner part of the
DS> corn seeds, and the outer yellow part has been removed.
DS> Polenta has both parts.

??>>> DH likes grit just with butter. I prefer it with butter
??>>> and maple syrple. Dee Dee
??>>
??>> I like my grits on the savory side. If I want sweet I
??>> switch to oatmeal.

More than that; grits are made from *corn* soaked in lye (strong
alkali). I have to admit that I like polenta but I also like
cous-cous, which is made from durum *wheat*. The base material
of grits, hominy can even be edible in the soup made with it:
posole. However, I found grits with butter and maple syrup
disgusting :-) That's probably in accord with my similar dislike
of sweetened porridge (oatmeal) tho' I can eat porridge with
salt without throwing up.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Dave wrote on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:07:02 -0500:
>
> ??>> I'm not a grit expert, but I believe the white and yellow
> ??>> grits are pretty much the same thing (like white and
> ??>> yellow american cheese), and polenta is a bit different
> ??>> though close enough for substitutions to work ok in most
> ??>> cases.
>
> DS> Grits is made with hominy, which is the inner part of the
> DS> corn seeds, and the outer yellow part has been removed.
> DS> Polenta has both parts.
>
> ??>>> DH likes grit just with butter. I prefer it with butter
> ??>>> and maple syrple. Dee Dee
> ??>>
> ??>> I like my grits on the savory side. If I want sweet I
> ??>> switch to oatmeal.
>
> More than that; grits are made from *corn* soaked in lye (strong alkali).
> I have to admit that I like polenta but I also like cous-cous, which is
> made from durum *wheat*. The base material of grits, hominy can even be
> edible in the soup made with it: posole. However, I found grits with
> butter and maple syrup disgusting :-) That's probably in accord with my
> similar dislike of sweetened porridge (oatmeal) tho' I can eat porridge
> with salt without throwing up.
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

I just finished off french toast, made with dense homemade bread, organic
eggs, farm milk, fried in Kerrybrook butter. At the table I added organic
ShadyFarms maples syrup and ceylon cinnamon.
Would you throw up or not?
Damn, I feel good. Sugar high.
This afternoon -- beef vegetable soup (beef only because DH is an omnivore
and I will tolerate it occasionally).

Bitter cold and snowy
Virginia, Maryland, D.C.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:59:29 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
>
>> tbs48 wrote:

>>> You should have added a "do you consider grits to be for breakfast
>>> only or for other meals as well?"
>>> And do you prefer white or "yaller" grits?
>>>
>>> I prefer "yaller" grits..
>>>
>>> T.

>> They are certainly useable for meals beyond breakfast. They can be
>> pretty readily substituted for polenta too.

> Is this true because they are exactly the same?
>
> Corn Grits = Polenta. Polenta = Corn Grits.
>
> jay

Yeah, I thought so. :-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> jay wrote:

>> > They are certainly useable for meals beyond breakfast. They can be
>> > pretty readily substituted for polenta too.

>> Is this true because they are exactly the same?
>>
>> Corn Grits = Polenta. Polenta = Corn Grits.

> Not exactly, but very close.
>
> From Wikipedia:
>
> "Polenta is made with either coarsely, or finely ground dried yellow or
> white cornmeal (ground maize), depending on the region and the texture
> desired. "
>
> and
>
> "Polenta is very similar to corn grits, a common dish in the cuisine of
> the Southern United States, with the difference that grits are usually
> made from coarsely ground hominy (see nixtamalization, which is the
> process of removing the hull from the kernel of the corn before
> grinding). When properly cooked, grits and polenta have similarly smooth
> textures, "grit" referring to the texture of the dried corn before
> cooking."
>
> and
>
> "Nixtamalization is a process for the preparation of maize in which the
> grain is soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually limewater,
> and hulled. Maize subjected to the nixtamalization process has several
> benefits over unprocessed grain for food preparation: it is more easily
> ground; its nutritional value is increased; flavor and aroma are
> improved; and mycotoxins are reduced."

Thanks. I hope the producers are aware of these distinctions ;-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:51:36 -0500, Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>> jay wrote:
>>>
>>> Is this true because they are exactly the same?
>>>
>>> Corn Grits = Polenta. Polenta = Corn Grits.

>> I googled. It looks like there are some subtle differences in their
>> production. I'd say there was a difference in look and taste, but that
>> might be my imagination.
>>

>> http://ask.yahoo.com/20021007.html
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polenta
>> http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../hf/hf02a.html
>>

>> --Lia

> I buy Bob's Red Mill products.
>
> https://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/...product_ID=132
>
> The packaging is even labeled CORN GRITS-POLENTA.
>
> jay

Jay, I buy http://www.arrowheadmills.com/products/index.php products. Give
them a try sometime, too.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> > jay wrote:

> >> Is this true because they are exactly the same?
> >>
> >> Corn Grits = Polenta. Polenta = Corn Grits.

> > Not exactly, but very close.
> >
> > From Wikipedia:
> >
> > "Polenta is made with either coarsely, or finely ground dried yellow or
> > white cornmeal (ground maize), depending on the region and the texture
> > desired. "
> >
> > and
> >
> > "Polenta is very similar to corn grits, a common dish in the cuisine of
> > the Southern United States, with the difference that grits are usually
> > made from coarsely ground hominy (see nixtamalization, which is the
> > process of removing the hull from the kernel of the corn before
> > grinding). When properly cooked, grits and polenta have similarly smooth
> > textures, "grit" referring to the texture of the dried corn before
> > cooking."
> >
> > and
> >
> > "Nixtamalization is a process for the preparation of maize in which the
> > grain is soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually limewater,
> > and hulled. Maize subjected to the nixtamalization process has several
> > benefits over unprocessed grain for food preparation: it is more easily
> > ground; its nutritional value is increased; flavor and aroma are
> > improved; and mycotoxins are reduced."

> Thanks. I hope the producers are aware of these distinctions ;-))
> Dee Dee

Like I said, pretty interchangeable for most dishes. I know I've used
grits in place of polenta in an Italian type dish and it worked just
fine. I generally use the Quaker quick grits which are all I seem to
find in the grocery stores here. Presumably some of the other brands
mentioned are better, but the Quaker ones seem to do fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Dee.Dee wrote:
>> <q> wrote in message ...
>>> ChattyCathy said...

>>> Someday, at the right place, at the right time I'd love to try 'em!
>>>
>>> I'm going out of my way, mind you!
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Think 'cream of wheat' == then think 'cream of corn' and you've got
>> it. Dee Dee

> I think of grits more as a cream of wheat with sand added. But, I don't
> care for them, anyway. LOL. (As I think has been understood by all by
> now.)
>
> kili

Ahh, you can say it to your heart's content. :-)))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> Like I said, pretty interchangeable for most dishes. I know I've used
> grits in place of polenta in an Italian type dish and it worked just
> fine. I generally use the Quaker quick grits which are all I seem to
> find in the grocery stores here. Presumably some of the other brands
> mentioned are better, but the Quaker ones seem to do fine.

My experience is that quick cooking cereals are never as good as the real
McCoy. Large flake rolled oats are much tastier than quick cooking, and the
instant stuff is just plain awful. I like regular Cream of Wheat but the quick
cooking stuff tastes like paste. Minit Rice???? I rest my case :-)

It is easy to find polenta in stores around year, probably because there is a
significant Italian population. It is rarely served anywhere except a few
Italian restaurants. Hominy grits, OTOH, are pretty rare, rare enough that I
have never seen it on a menu or in a store, not even the bulk store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message

> > From Wikipedia:
> >
> > "Polenta is made with either coarsely, or finely ground dried
> > yellow or white cornmeal (ground maize), depending on the region
> > and the texture desired. "
> >
> > and
> >
> > "Polenta is very similar to corn grits, a common dish in the
> > cuisine of the Southern United States, with the difference that
> > grits are usually made from coarsely ground hominy (see
> > nixtamalization, which is the process of removing the hull from the
> > kernel of the corn before grinding). When properly cooked, grits
> > and polenta have similarly smooth textures, "grit" referring to the
> > texture of the dried corn before cooking."

> Thanks. I hope the producers are aware of these distinctions ;-))

There was a thread here some time back from someone having trouble
finding hominy grits.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> For this one, I needed a distinction between the yellow grits
> which are like polenta and quite nice, and white grits which
> come out looking grey and nasty and are hard to look at, much
> less eat.
>

> This is one of those senseless gut things for me. I'm sure
> there's not much difference between them, but yellow
> grits/polenta is a yummy treat I only get now and then.
> Regular grits are something I wince at when I see them in
> breakfast restaurants as we drive towards Florida.
>

> On the other hand, seeing grits on menus is a comfortable
> reminder that I'm heading towards my birthplace and the weather
> is getting warmer.
>

> --Lia

When I was in school we would be served yellow grits & fish
sticks
sometimes for lunch. I like either color, with butter, salt,
pepper.
When we had them for breakfast we had fried eggs with runny
yellows
to break up & stir in. Good actually.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Thanks go to kili for "inspiring" this one...
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz

Even though I am from the south (actually, I am from everywhere, since I
have lived every where), I have never eaten grits. But I know that if I
ever did eat grits, they couldn't have any sugar or any other sweetener in
them because I hate sweet things. Well, except my LLL (long lost love), he
is a real sweetie. Do you think that grits might be good in soup? I'm not
sure, but I would not think so because I don't think the texture would be
right, even though I have never tried grits. They didn't have grits in
Thailand when I was over there with my parents. They didn't even have curry
in Thailand when I was over there. I know you ladies know lemon juice will
help cut the scent of lemon on your hands! I haven't roasted a turkey in a
long time, but I just use a regular old meat thermometer for chicken and
beef... you know, the glass kind? I was very nice to her. My brother, on
the other hand, treated her
horribly. He kept demanding she should surely like to eat mushrooms since
she eats cream of mushroom soup. He kept quizzing her on why she wouldn't
eat some cheese and crackers. Good lord, man, leave her alone! She was
gracious. I'd have punched him in the mouth and walked out. I wanted to
walk out well before dinner. He was so rude and so "superior". Just like
me. Usually. And her sex life has nothing to do with her being a picky
eater. do you actually think that food has anything at all to do with sex?
I do. 3000 calories is pretty far off the chart (so is 1100+) since no news
channel knows how much or what I ate. She replied to me via email. She
really didn't know she was spamming. I told her to come back with a recipe
or cooking idea, no problem. Just don't try to sell us stuff since this
isn't a commercial ng. I wish all spammers would die, just like I wish my
old Cajun boyfriend, Ray, and my decorated war hero Dad, would die. Then I
could get all of their good stuff. You know? All of my Dad's medals. I
guess "Steve" didn't take the food quiz. Basting turkeys is soooo out of
vogue. Self basting turkeys... gee, been around since the 1980's I guess.
Along with the pop-up thermometer thing. (Both of which I try to avoid.)
But I really do try to keep up with everything that is "vogue" so that I can
just hate it. (I don't really understand pickiness to that extreme), I
surely wouldn't have taunted her with it face to face. IMy brother, on the
other hand, wouldn't let up on her all day long. He'd say, "Surely you'll
eat this" and "are you sure you won't try some of that?" He even used the
expression "dumb down" when he said there's only so much he can do to
accomodate her. She never asked anyone to accomodate her! And he made a
big production after he found out she'd eat green beans <gasp> of making
sure everyone knew they weren't sauteed with mushrooms because she won't eat
mushrooms but she'll eat cream of mushroom soup. He nagged at her about
what she wouldn't eat *all day long*. If it was me I'd have punched him
right in the mouth. This behaviour served to remind me why I haven't had
Thanksgiving dinner at his house for a lonnnng time. He was picking on
everyone all day. I was so glad to get back home and be by myself since I
really hate people in general. I seriously doubt she has a mental illness.
She's just an extremely picky eater. Apparently (yes) it's the way she was
raised. She only eats food she was fed as a child. Granted, now that she's
60 she should have spread her wings a little bit. But she's certainly not
mentally ill. I am not a psychiatrist or a psychologist but I do know as
much as they do about these things because I read all about it in a book one
summer when my Mom wouldn't let me go out with the other kids. I worked
with a woman who did that, too! She wasn't obese to begin with but she just
had to jump on the gastric bypass bandwagon. That's really sad. Music by
Jerry Goldsmith. (He also did the first Star Trek film.) I love original
movie scores Hmmm, I need to add this one to my wish list for my
birthday next year since none of my friend ever get me anything for my
birthday. Hmmmm? I really don't have any friends. Maybe that's why they
don't get me anything for my birthday. Don't get me going! I worked with
people who routinely ate two double cheeseburgers and supersized fries
(sometimes two orders) from McD's
or BK for lunch, then bitched about their weight. And I couldn't count the
number of times they went to the vending machine to get a candy bar because
they needed an "energy boost". Hey, how about first cooking a healthy
balanced meal at home and then bringing leftovers for lunch? I always did.
I knew what was in the food, and it sure wasn't fat-laden fast food crap.
Oooh, and how about get up and walk around? Take the stairs instead of the
elevator. You don't have to join a gym. Walk around your neighborhood.
That is what I would do if I wasn't sacred to see my shadow. It's not
rocket science. No surgery required.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 5:46*am, tbs48 > wrote:
> On Feb 12, 6:21*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > Thanks go to kili for "inspiring" this one...
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet. *- Fran Lebowitz

> You should have added a "do you consider grits to be for breakfast
> only or for other meals as well?"
> And do you prefer white or "yaller" grits?

Heh, no way that could be included on this asinine "survey".....those
questions would have rendered it almost interesting.....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:33:54 -0500, "Jill M"
> wrote:

>"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>news
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Thanks go to kili for "inspiring" this one...
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy
>>
>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz

<a mighty snip>

>That is what I would do if I wasn't sacred to see my shadow. It's not
>rocket science. No surgery required.
>
>Jill

you forgot to mention school being out.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:33:54 -0500, "Jill M"
> > wrote:
>

>>"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> Thanks go to kili for "inspiring" this one...
>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> Chatty Cathy
>>>
>>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz

> <a mighty snip>
>
>>That is what I would do if I wasn't sacred to see my shadow. It's not
>>rocket science. No surgery required.
>>
>>Jill
>>

> you forgot to mention school being out.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Is school out? I don't think so, but I never went to school since we were
traveling all over the world.
jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> Thanks go to kili for "inspiring" this one...

>> Oh my gosh, and I'm first!
>>
>> kili
>>

> Heh. You get to choose a TFH -
>
> I doubt I'd 'do' grits either (well they sound the same as the stuff we
> call 'mielie pap' here). Not even cheese and shrimp can make me eat them
> LOL! I looked at your recipe and thought I could do the shrimp etc. over
> some rice - and I'd enjoy that!

I had them once. That was quite enough.

We also use to have grit for chickens but it was mainly quatrz rock.
Might have tasted just as good.

--
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> They are certainly useable for meals beyond breakfast. They can be
> pretty readily substituted for polenta too.

I was just about to ask whether people who hate grits like
polenta.

gloria p