Old 10-03-2008, 03:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Making potato salad with boiled potatoes

Better to boil potatoes whole to cook in flavor or cut potatoes to
shorten cooking time?

Old 10-03-2008, 04:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 09 Mar 2008 08:47:39p, Mastermind told us...

Better to boil potatoes whole to cook in flavor or cut potatoes to
shorten cooking time?

I've done it both ways. Can't taste much difference.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 03(III)/09(IX)/08(MMVIII)

Old 10-03-2008, 04:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mastermind" wrote in message
Better to boil potatoes whole to cook in flavor or cut potatoes to shorten
cooking time?

I cook them whole and then cut them. The reason being if you cut them and
then cook, they tend not to hold together so well.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Mastermind
wrote:

Better to boil potatoes whole to cook in flavor or cut potatoes to
shorten cooking time?

Whatever works best for you.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mastermindless wrote:

Better to boil potatoes whole to cook in flavor or cut potatoes to
shorten cooking time?

Don't you mean to cook potatoes with peel or not to keep in flavor..
if peeled it doesn't matter if cut or not regarding flavor retention.
Naturally smaller potatoes cook faster but how much faster you
talking... more imporatanly that all are about the same size whether
cut or not so they all cook in about the same time. And always start
potatoes in cold water so they will cook evenly.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

"Mastermind" wrote in message
Better to boil potatoes whole to cook in flavor or cut potatoes to
shorten cooking time?

I cook them whole and then cut them. The reason being if you cut them
and then cook, they tend not to hold together so well.

Potatoes for potato salad?. I bake them.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Mastermind
wrote:

Better to boil potatoes whole to cook in flavor or cut potatoes to
shorten cooking time?

"Waxy" type potato. Scrub. Boil. Cool slightly. Peel. Dice or slice.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Old 10-03-2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
In article , Mastermind
wrote:

Better to boil potatoes whole to cook in flavor or cut potatoes to
shorten cooking time?

"Waxy" type potato. Scrub. Boil. Cool slightly. Peel. Dice or slice.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Surgery went well. Now the hard recovery begins.

""Waxy" type potato. Scrub. Boil. Cool slightly. Peel. Dice or slice."
That's exactly how I make my potato salad. I think boiling makes a moister
potato for the salad than a baked one.

Lynne

Old 10-03-2008, 08:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"King's Crown" wrote in
:

wrote:

Better to boil potatoes whole to cook in flavor or cut potatoes to
shorten cooking time?

"Waxy" type potato. Scrub. Boil. Cool slightly. Peel. Dice or
slice. --
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Surgery went well. Now the hard recovery begins.

""Waxy" type potato. Scrub. Boil. Cool slightly. Peel. Dice or
slice." That's exactly how I make my potato salad. I think boiling
makes a moister potato for the salad than a baked one.

Lynne

I feel a baked potato soaks up more of the dressing and therefore mixes
in better. Either way day old fridge stored taters make for a better
salad.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 10 Mar 2008 01:30:37p, hahabogus told us...

"King's Crown" wrote in
:

wrote:

Better to boil potatoes whole to cook in flavor or cut potatoes to
shorten cooking time?

"Waxy" type potato. Scrub. Boil. Cool slightly. Peel. Dice or
slice. --
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor Surgery went well. Now
the hard recovery begins.

""Waxy" type potato. Scrub. Boil. Cool slightly. Peel. Dice or
slice." That's exactly how I make my potato salad. I think boiling
makes a moister potato for the salad than a baked one.

Lynne

I feel a baked potato soaks up more of the dressing and therefore mixes
in better. Either way day old fridge stored taters make for a better
salad.

Alan, are you saying that you bake the potatoes or that you use baking
potatoes but cook them in water? I do the latter. I agree that a non-waxy
potato absorbs more of the dressing and flavor.

I peel and cut into desired size dice, then boil very gently until just
done. Drain well, and while still hot toss with a bit of vinaigrette or
cider vinegar. The potatoes soak this right up. I usually add a bit of
celery seed and dill weed at this point, too. Then allow them to cool
completely before mixing with other ingredients and dressing.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 03(III)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)

Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
3.184:

wrote:

[...]

I'm saying I take red or waxy potatoes and bake them @ around 450F till
the skin is crispy and make noise when lightly handled (about 45 to 60
minutes) ...cool, peel, dice and make potato salad. I imagine even Yukons
would work...but I'm a red potato user; almost fanatical about them..

I used to, in the past, boil peeled and quartered waxy spuds and keep
them overnight in the fridge to dry a bit, before making potato salad.
But I prefer the baked method these days. I find I like the taste better.

I also kinda follow a penzeys idea and have introduced about 1/2 to 1 tsp
of cury powder to a large batch of potato salad. Again I just like the
difference it makes in taste.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:53:33 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Mon 10 Mar 2008 01:30:37p, hahabogus told us...

"King's Crown" wrote in
:

I feel a baked potato soaks up more of the dressing and therefore mixes
in better. Either way day old fridge stored taters make for a better
salad.

Alan, are you saying that you bake the potatoes or that you use baking
potatoes but cook them in water? I do the latter. I agree that a non-waxy
potato absorbs more of the dressing and flavor.

I peel and cut into desired size dice, then boil very gently until just
done. Drain well, and while still hot toss with a bit of vinaigrette or
cider vinegar. The potatoes soak this right up. I usually add a bit of
celery seed and dill weed at this point, too. Then allow them to cool
completely before mixing with other ingredients and dressing.

i think the 'while still hot' is the important part. mix salt, oil,
then your celery or other crunchy vegetable, vinegar then mayonnaise.

your pal,
blake
Old 11-03-2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 11 Mar 2008 10:01:39a, blake murphy told us...

wrote:

[...]

You're absolutely right.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 03(III)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Old 11-03-2008, 08:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 10:47*pm, Mastermind wrote:
Better to boil potatoes whole to cook in flavor or cut potatoes to
shorten cooking time?

How would boiling them whole cook in flavor, dipshit.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Mastermind said:

Better to boil potatoes whole to cook in flavor or cut potatoes to
shorten cooking time?

Boil whole, then peel and chop when cold. If you cook them already
chopped, the chunks may not hold together well...

--
Jani in WA