Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus hahabogus is offline

Default Making potato salad with boiled potatoes

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
3.184:

> On Mon 10 Mar 2008 01:30:37p, hahabogus told us...
>
>> "King's Crown" > wrote in
>> :

>>> ""Waxy" type potato. Scrub. Boil. Cool slightly. Peel. Dice or
>>> slice." That's exactly how I make my potato salad. I think boiling
>>> makes a moister potato for the salad than a baked one.
>>>
>>> Lynne
>>>

>> I feel a baked potato soaks up more of the dressing and therefore
>> mixes in better. Either way day old fridge stored taters make for a
>> better salad.
>>

> Alan, are you saying that you bake the potatoes or that you use baking
> potatoes but cook them in water? I do the latter. I agree that a
> non-waxy potato absorbs more of the dressing and flavor.
>
> I peel and cut into desired size dice, then boil very gently until
> just done. Drain well, and while still hot toss with a bit of
> vinaigrette or cider vinegar. The potatoes soak this right up. I
> usually add a bit of celery seed and dill weed at this point, too.
> Then allow them to cool completely before mixing with other
> ingredients and dressing.

I'm saying I take red or waxy potatoes and bake them @ around 450F till
the skin is crispy and make noise when lightly handled (about 45 to 60
minutes) ...cool, peel, dice and make potato salad. I imagine even Yukons
would work...but I'm a red potato user; almost fanatical about them..

I used to, in the past, boil peeled and quartered waxy spuds and keep
them overnight in the fridge to dry a bit, before making potato salad.
But I prefer the baked method these days. I find I like the taste better.

I also kinda follow a penzeys idea and have introduced about 1/2 to 1 tsp
of cury powder to a large batch of potato salad. Again I just like the
difference it makes in taste.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.