Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default rec.food.cooking improves my life again

So I got a grinder and ground my own chuck to make hamburgers and
meatballs. Oh, man. So good. I haven't bought ground meat much in
the past few years because I think it's much safer and better home
ground, but I didn't have a grinder. Thanks, guys.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:09:29 -0800, Serene >
wrote:

>So I got a grinder and ground my own chuck to make hamburgers and
>meatballs. Oh, man. So good. I haven't bought ground meat much in
>the past few years because I think it's much safer and better home
>ground, but I didn't have a grinder. Thanks, guys.
>
>Serene

What grinder did you get?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> So I got a grinder and ground my own chuck to make hamburgers and
> meatballs. Oh, man. So good. I haven't bought ground meat much in the
> past few years because I think it's much safer and better home ground,
> but I didn't have a grinder. Thanks, guys.
>
> Serene

Welcome to the world of great ground meat. Since I started grinding my
own, I can't abide the store-ground stuff.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:09:29 -0800, Serene >
> wrote:
>
>> So I got a grinder and ground my own chuck to make hamburgers and
>> meatballs. Oh, man. So good. I haven't bought ground meat much in
>> the past few years because I think it's much safer and better home
>> ground, but I didn't have a grinder. Thanks, guys.
>>
>> Serene

> What grinder did you get?

This one. It was cheaper than getting the attachments for the
KitchenAid, but I may get those eventually. This one does a fine
job, though, and comes with lots of attachments:

James is looking forward to having homemade sausages. I'd better go
start checking the archives. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat Grinders are Great!

To: Janet Wilder
Janet Wilder -> rec.food.cooking wrote:

JW> Welcome to the world of great ground meat. Since I started grinding my
JW> own, I can't abide the store-ground stuff.

Thanks to the Kitchen Aid Grinder on my mixer I don't buy store bought anymore
either. You just don't know what parts was ground up.... this way I feel like
I have more control over my health. I find that any good lean cut grinds
nicely and our butcher shop sells "Boston Butt" roasts very reasonably and
often on special... they grind nicely.

I really like grinding ham for ham salad too.

INGREDIENTS:

3 cups ground fully cooked ham
2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared mustard (optional)

Sometimes I will do it with Dill Pickle relish instead of sweet relish.

In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine mayonnaise and mustard;
add to ham mixture and mix well. Refrigerate until serving.

=== Snip

I also grind de-boned chicken meat for Thai Basil Chicken

2 tablespoons peanut oil
1/4 cup minced garlic
1 pound ground chicken breast
12 Thai chiles, sliced into thin rings
2 teaspoons black soy sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 cup fresh basil leaves
Thai Holy Basil is best

Heat a wok over high heat until smoking. Pour in peanut oil, then immediately
add garlic. Stir-fry garlic until it begins to turn golden brown, about 20
seconds. Mix in the ground chicken and continue cooking and stirring until the
meat is crumbly and no longer pink, about 2 minutes.

Stir in the sliced chilies, soy sauce, and fish sauce. Cook for about 15
seconds to soften the chilies, then add the basil, and continue cooking until
the basil has wilted.

--- Thunderbird 2.0.0.9 (Windows/20071031)
* Origin: The Eastern Star - Fidonet Via Your Newsreader (1:123/789.0)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85
* Derby City Online - Louisville, KY - telnet://derbycitybbs.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Allen Prunty wrote:
> To: Janet Wilder
> Janet Wilder -> rec.food.cooking wrote:
>
> JW> Welcome to the world of great ground meat. Since I started grinding my
> JW> own, I can't abide the store-ground stuff.
>
> Thanks to the Kitchen Aid Grinder on my mixer I don't buy store bought anymore
> either.

Yeah, I can't see doing it, when it was so easy, and the cleanup was
very easy, as well. What I actually bought the grinder for was to
make my own falafel, and to make my mom's chopped liver. Both
benefit from being ground rather than blended. I'm happy to have
the tool I've been wanting for the job. Money has been really super
tight around here for the last couple of years, but I managed to
save up. It feels good.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>So I got a grinder and ground my own chuck to make hamburgers and
>meatballs. Oh, man. So good. I haven't bought ground meat much in
>the past few years because I think it's much safer and better home
>ground, but I didn't have a grinder. Thanks, guys.
>
>Serene

What brand is that?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:09:29 -0800, Serene >
> wrote:
>
>>So I got a grinder and ground my own chuck to make hamburgers and
>>meatballs. Oh, man. So good. I haven't bought ground meat much in
>>the past few years because I think it's much safer and better home
>>ground, but I didn't have a grinder. Thanks, guys.
>>
>>Serene

> What brand is that?

I'd like to know, too. I still haven't gotten one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> So I got a grinder and ground my own chuck to make hamburgers and
> meatballs. Oh, man. So good. I haven't bought ground meat much in the
> past few years because I think it's much safer and better home ground,
> but I didn't have a grinder. Thanks, guys.
>
> Serene

For sure, and along the lines of the steak thread if someone wants tasty
beef forget the tenderloin. Just grind some chuck and grill it. Only
some S&P is needed for great taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> Allen Prunty wrote:
>> To: Janet Wilder
>> Janet Wilder -> rec.food.cooking wrote:
>>
>> JW> Welcome to the world of great ground meat. Since I started
>> grinding my
>> JW> own, I can't abide the store-ground stuff.
>>
>> Thanks to the Kitchen Aid Grinder on my mixer I don't buy store bought
>> anymore either.

> Yeah, I can't see doing it, when it was so easy, and the cleanup was
> very easy, as well. What I actually bought the grinder for was to make
> my own falafel, and to make my mom's chopped liver. Both benefit from
> being ground rather than blended. I'm happy to have the tool I've been
> wanting for the job. Money has been really super tight around here for
> the last couple of years, but I managed to save up. It feels good.
>
> Serene

I watch the supermarket adds for chuck roasts and shoulder roasts on
sale for $1.99/lb. Boneless is best, but I'll even get the bone-in kind
and save the bones in the freezer for making beef stock. I save the
little gristly bits for the stock, too.

I use my meat grinder for chopped liver on the rare occasions that I
make it these days. I also used it to grind fish to make gefilte fish
for the Jewish New Year.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Allen Prunty" -hy8-this> wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
> Thanks to the Kitchen Aid Grinder on my mixer I don't buy store bought anymore ...
>
> I really like grinding ham for ham salad too.

I very much like using ground ham rather than diced ham
is a ham and cheese omlette/frittata.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:57:59 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>Ain't it great? I've been grinding my own beef for several years now. Ever
>since Sheldon turned me on to it. My grinder is about shot and I'm going
>to get a new one soon. My poor low end beginner's model has crapped out. I
>want a new one with the whole shebang. I want to make sausage too.
>
>Michael

If you are planning to make sausage, get the book Charcuterie by
Michael Ruhlman.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:57:59 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> > wrote:
>

>> Ain't it great? I've been grinding my own beef for several years now. Ever
>> since Sheldon turned me on to it. My grinder is about shot and I'm going
>> to get a new one soon. My poor low end beginner's model has crapped out. I
>> want a new one with the whole shebang. I want to make sausage too.
>>
>> Michael

> If you are planning to make sausage, get the book Charcuterie by
> Michael Ruhlman.

Ooh. I even have a Powell's credit waiting to be used. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:57:59 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>My poor low end beginner's model has crapped out.

give us a url to your crappy beginner's model.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
6.121...
> sf dropped this : in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:57:59 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>My poor low end beginner's model has crapped out.

>> give us a url to your crappy beginner's model.

> Here it is. I bought this maybe 3+ years ago. Looks like it's on a close
> out sale. I've had real good luck with it and that is why I bought my
> pressure cooker from the same place. If you want one of the grinders you
> best get it quick. My pressure cooker is all sold out now.
>
> http://www.americanharvest.com/produ...cat=200&id=306
>
> Michael
>
> --
> "Ingredients as fresh as they were 27 years ago."
> - Slogan of the Biscuitville restaurant.
>
> To email - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

Here's a question: Who has cooking utensils they are afraid to use? I have
a pressure cooker and a smoker, both Christmas presents from more than a
couple of years ago, still in the boxes. Why? I'm afraid I'll ruin
something, expensive meat or time (all the work to make sausage then to ruin
it) in the smoker, or I'll blow the ceiling out of my kitchen with the
pressure cooker. So, does anyone else have this phobia?
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > dropped this
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Here's a question: Who has cooking utensils they are afraid to use?
>> I have a pressure cooker and a smoker, both Christmas presents from
>> more than a couple of years ago, still in the boxes. Why? I'm afraid
>> I'll ruin something, expensive meat or time (all the work to make
>> sausage then to ruin it) in the smoker, or I'll blow the ceiling out
>> of my kitchen with the pressure cooker. So, does anyone else have
>> this phobia? -ginny

> I have avoided buying a pressure cooker for years because I was afraid of
> using one for the same fear you have. However, I really wanted one so I
> went ahead and bought a decent one. I'll be using it soon and will
> report back. I gave my electric smoker to my neighbor because I did not
> like the way stuff turned out in it. I want one that uses lump. For
> years I had a phobia about the gas grill I had in the condo. I was
> always afraid the little tank would blow up and I'd be thrown a couple
> hundred feet onto the ground from the terrace. I'm also afraid of
> heights. I used the Weber instead I got over that phobia when a
> friend turned on the propane thingy, went inside to get the phone and
> then went to light the grill. I heard a boom and my friend was thrown
> right onto the floor of the terrace. He was shaken but survived. From
> then on I was completely confident in using the gas grill IMO Darwin
> didn't take him so he must have a purpose in life.
>
> Michael

People learn from their mistakes, smart people learn from others' mistakes

Michael, I want you to report for remedial fear training immediately.

--
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> Here's a question: Who has cooking utensils they are afraid to use? I have
> a pressure cooker and a smoker, both Christmas presents from more than a
> couple of years ago, still in the boxes. Why? I'm afraid I'll ruin
> something, expensive meat or time (all the work to make sausage then to ruin
> it) in the smoker, or I'll blow the ceiling out of my kitchen with the
> pressure cooker. So, does anyone else have this phobia?

I'm a little afraid of my .45 caliber full-automatic olive pitter with
the 200-round drum magazine.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 12:09 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > dropped : in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Here's a question: Who has cooking utensils they are afraid to use?
> > I have a pressure cooker and a smoker, both Christmas presents from
> > more than a couple of years ago, still in the boxes. Why? I'm afraid
> > I'll ruin something, expensive meat or time (all the work to make
> > sausage then to ruin it) in the smoker, or I'll blow the ceiling out
> > of my kitchen with the pressure cooker. So, does anyone else have
> > this phobia? -ginny

> I have avoided buying a pressure cooker for years because I was afraid of
> using one for the same fear you have. However, I really wanted one so I
> went ahead and bought a decent one. I'll be using it soon and will
> report back.

Pressure cookers are great.

> I gave my electric smoker to my neighbor because I did not
> like the way stuff turned out in it.

No wonder. I hope your neighbor enjoys it.

> I want one that uses lump.

Lump + wood is the best. I use all wood because it's less expensive,
since wood is free. All I have to to is drive over to my sister's
house.

> For years I had a phobia about the gas grill I had in the condo. I was
> always afraid the little tank would blow up and I'd be thrown a couple
> hundred feet onto the ground from the terrace. I'm also afraid of
> heights. I used the Weber instead

Weber Kettles rock.

>I got over that phobia when a
> friend turned on the propane thingy, went inside to get the phone and
> then went to light the grill. I heard a boom and my friend was thrown
> right onto the floor of the terrace. He was shaken but survived. From
> then on I was completely confident in using the gas grill IMO Darwin
> didn't take him so he must have a purpose in life.

Propane isn't inherently unsafe, but only Hank Hill has a reason to
say that it tastes better.

> Michael

--Bryan

Chocolate improves cognitive performance Bobbie Sellers Chocolate 0 05-03-2016 01:50 AM
Food for Life O.pearl Vegan 0 11-09-2009 04:04 PM
Danny Kaye Changed Family Life By Cooking Lou Decruss General Cooking 28 08-08-2007 07:31 PM
Cooking may have saved my life and ..Knives - The best money can buy. Opinions Barry General Cooking 29 23-02-2007 03:09 AM