Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another survey on the RFC site: Cilantro - love it or hate it?

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy > wrote in
:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

Don't like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> Chatty Cathy > wrote in
> :
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now!

> Don't like.

I love it

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 10:15 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> I love it
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

So do I. I'm glad I don't have the Cilantro-Tastes-Soapy gene. Just
wish it weren't so hard to grow in our summer heat.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dtwright37 wrote:
> On Apr 29, 10:15 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>> I love it

> So do I. I'm glad I don't have the Cilantro-Tastes-Soapy gene. Just
> wish it weren't so hard to grow in our summer heat.

Same here. We tried several times, but no luck. But its cheap enough at
the supermarkets so I just buy it.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

We have been through the cilantro issue several times. I like it, but I
would describe it as a metallic taste, more like copper than soap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

I used to dislike it intensely and thought it tasted like soap.
After a few years of eating it in Thai and Mexican foods, especially
salsa and dips, I began to like the flavor and missed it when it wasn't
included.

My daughter (in her 30's) is still a rabid anti-cilantro person and
she's so strong in her dislikes, I doubt she'll ever taste it again.

Too bad, her loss!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> I used to dislike it intensely and thought it tasted like soap.
> After a few years of eating it in Thai and Mexican foods, especially
> salsa and dips, I began to like the flavor and missed it when it wasn't
> included.

We like Thai food - and yes, a lot of their dishes include cilantro.

> My daughter (in her 30's) is still a rabid anti-cilantro person and
> she's so strong in her dislikes, I doubt she'll ever taste it again.
>
> Too bad, her loss!

Quite so! I particularly like it with pork stir-fries - gives it "that
something extra".

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
ml ml is offline

At the moment, there are 15 people who think the stuff tastes like soap,
but only 12 who hate it. Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

ml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ml wrote:

> At the moment, there are 15 people who think the stuff tastes like soap,
> but only 12 who hate it. Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Guy (my partner) says it tastes mildly of soap to him, but he
doesn't mind it in small quantities.

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

First time I tried it I didn't mind it, but now it just tastes like vomit!
The stuff grows like wild fire in my garden, I'm just glad the squirrels
like it, and tend to leave the other plants alone.
Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Say Serene Like You Mean It wrote:
> ml wrote:
>>
>> At the moment, there are 15 people who think the stuff tastes like
>> soap, but only 12 who hate it. Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

> Guy (my partner) says it tastes mildly of soap to him, but he doesn't
> mind it in small quantities.

And Dave S (I think) said he thought it tasted like "copper". So that
would account for it

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> We have been through the cilantro issue several times. I like it, but I
> would describe it as a metallic taste, more like copper than soap.

Always wondered *how* people thought it tasted like soap - I have never
had the urge to eat soap ... But... it just dawned on me... there must
be quite a few RFC-ers out there who had their "mouths washed out with
soap" (for reasons we won't mention here) when they were kids - so I
guess they *do* know what soap tastes like... Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 7:20 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I love it that (at the moment) 46 people say it is ok or they love it,
and 13 don't like it, but 17 say it tastes like soap! We have 4 soap
lovers out there?
;-))

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> Always wondered *how* people thought it tasted like soap - I have never
> had the urge to eat soap ...

Either did I. It was my mother's remedy for a dirty mouth :-)

But... it just dawned on me... there must
> be quite a few RFC-ers out there who had their "mouths washed out with
> soap" (for reasons we won't mention here) when they were kids - so I
> guess they *do* know what soap tastes like... Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

Even without being subjected to that old punishment, didn't you ever
accidentally get soap in your mouth while washing your face?

What I really wonder about is people who say that something tastes like
shit. That really makes me wonder about their experiences and previous
taste tests.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Even without being subjected to that old punishment, didn't you ever
> accidentally get soap in your mouth while washing your face?

Nope. Don't you know that most females never use "soap" to wash our
faces (even when I was growing up)? We have special "cleansing wash"
applied with a sponge.... then you keep your mouth closed while rinsing
that off.

> What I really wonder about is people who say that something tastes like
> shit. That really makes me wonder about their experiences and previous
> taste tests.

Quite so....

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Apr 2007 12:32:31 -0700, maxine in ri > wrote:

>On Apr 29, 7:20 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now!
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

>I love it that (at the moment) 46 people say it is ok or they love it,
>and 13 don't like it, but 17 say it tastes like soap! We have 4 soap
>lovers out there?
>;-))

What about Take it Or Leave it, tastes like soap?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> > Even without being subjected to that old punishment, didn't you ever
> > accidentally get soap in your mouth while washing your face?

> Nope. Don't you know that most females never use "soap" to wash our
> faces (even when I was growing up)? We have special "cleansing wash"
> applied with a sponge.... then you keep your mouth closed while rinsing
> that off.

It's soap. They just charge more for it. The secret to marketing to women
is to give it the right scent and increase the price so they will think it
is better quality :-)

> > What I really wonder about is people who say that something tastes like
> > shit. That really makes me wonder about their experiences and previous
> > taste tests.

> Quite so....
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>>> Even without being subjected to that old punishment, didn't you ever
>>> accidentally get soap in your mouth while washing your face?

>> Nope. Don't you know that most females never use "soap" to wash our
>> faces (even when I was growing up)? We have special "cleansing wash"
>> applied with a sponge.... then you keep your mouth closed while rinsing
>> that off.

> It's soap. They just charge more for it.

Actually, it's not soap. Soap is a specific thing. Lots of
cleansers are detergent, which is a different thing from soap.

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Cilantro is one of those herbs that, when used lightly and properly, it is
great, but too much will ruin whatever it's in.

Tome, it used to taste like soap, but when used in moderation, does not.
Salsas, pestos, etc. need cilantro IMnsHO.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Take a wild guess.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 11:52 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > Vote now!

> We have been through the cilantro issue several times. I like it, but I
> would describe it as a metallic taste, more like copper than soap.

The leaves are milder and much more subtle than the stems, which are
downright awful. The only problem I have with so much of the taqueria
Mexican is the way too-much-cilantro thing. I know enough Spanish to
say, "Un burrito con asada, frijoles y aguacate. No cilantro, por
favor."

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 1:26 pm, Say Serene Like You Mean It
> wrote:
> ml wrote:
>
> > At the moment, there are 15 people who think the stuff tastes like soap,
> > but only 12 who hate it. Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

> Guy (my partner) says it tastes mildly of soap to him, but he
> doesn't mind it in small quantities.

I don't mind it much in small amounts, but would rather it just be
omitted. In large amounts, it screws up the whole meal.

> Serene

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 6:20 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I love it -- thanks to a little-known (in the US) Chinese dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Dave Smith wrote:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
> >
> > > Even without being subjected to that old punishment, didn't you ever
> > > accidentally get soap in your mouth while washing your face?

> > Nope. Don't you know that most females never use "soap" to wash our
> > faces (even when I was growing up)? We have special "cleansing wash"
> > applied with a sponge.... then you keep your mouth closed while rinsing
> > that off.

> It's soap. They just charge more for it. The secret to marketing to women
> is to give it the right scent and increase the price so they will think it
> is better quality :-)

Nope. True soap has some variant of saponified fat in it. Most
facial cleansers don't. They are almost all "soap-free".

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

Neither. I don't like to cook with it because
it smells like sewage or a rotting carcass to me.
I will eat things with it in them and I don't dislike
the taste, but don't like to handle it to cook with
it because of the smell.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 7:20?am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Hate it. Might as well be eating bug spray.