Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Flour tortillas

I stopped keeping them around, as they were almost always made with low
fiber white flour.

Found a "low carb, low fat" brand and tried it, and was pleasantly
surprised. They were very tender, very moist and fresh. 81 calories, 11
carbs, 5 grams protein, 2 grams fat, 6 grams fiber. NO cholesterol, no
transfats. That's a huge nutritional improvement over regular flour
tortillas. The first ingredient is water, the second whole wheat. They also
contain oat and soy fiber and lecithin. There are several brands, the only
one I tried was from "Ole Mexican Foods," called "La Banderita." They are a
little more expensive than regular because you get 8 instead of 10
tortillas. But at $2, still a deal.

My husband likes burritos and soft tacos filled with different things. I
like to make leftover beef and pork in to "taco meat," and yesterday I had
scrambled eggs with salsa and melted cheddar in a tortilla, it was
wonderful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .
>I stopped keeping them around, as they were almost always made with low
>fiber white flour.
>
> Found a "low carb, low fat" brand and tried it, and was pleasantly
> surprised. They were very tender, very moist and fresh. 81 calories, 11
> carbs, 5 grams protein, 2 grams fat, 6 grams fiber. NO cholesterol, no
> transfats. That's a huge nutritional improvement over regular flour
> tortillas. The first ingredient is water, the second whole wheat. They
> also contain oat and soy fiber and lecithin. There are several brands, the
> only one I tried was from "Ole Mexican Foods," called "La Banderita." They
> are a little more expensive than regular because you get 8 instead of 10
> tortillas. But at $2, still a deal.
>
> My husband likes burritos and soft tacos filled with different things. I
> like to make leftover beef and pork in to "taco meat," and yesterday I had
> scrambled eggs with salsa and melted cheddar in a tortilla, it was
> wonderful.

In WA you can get Surita brand. They make whole wheat and they have no
trans-fats. Not sure if they are available elsewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> I stopped keeping them around, as they were almost always made with low
> fiber white flour.
>
> Found a "low carb, low fat" brand and tried it, and was pleasantly
> surprised. They were very tender, very moist and fresh. 81 calories, 11
> carbs, 5 grams protein, 2 grams fat, 6 grams fiber. NO cholesterol, no
> transfats. That's a huge nutritional improvement over regular flour
> tortillas. The first ingredient is water, the second whole wheat. They also
> contain oat and soy fiber and lecithin. There are several brands, the only
> one I tried was from "Ole Mexican Foods," called "La Banderita." They are a
> little more expensive than regular because you get 8 instead of 10
> tortillas. But at $2, still a deal.
>
> My husband likes burritos and soft tacos filled with different things. I
> like to make leftover beef and pork in to "taco meat," and yesterday I had
> scrambled eggs with salsa and melted cheddar in a tortilla, it was
> wonderful.

Mission brand seems to be the most available. I've tried both their
white and whole wheat "Carb Balance" varieties and they are palatable.
Not as good as the local tortillarias make, but definitely healthier.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2007 9:59:20 AM UTC-7, cybercat wrote:
> I stopped keeping them around, as they were almost always made with low
> fiber white flour.
>
> Found a "low carb, low fat" brand and tried it, and was pleasantly
> surprised. They were very tender, very moist and fresh. 81 calories, 11
> carbs, 5 grams protein, 2 grams fat, 6 grams fiber. NO cholesterol, no
> transfats. That's a huge nutritional improvement over regular flour
> tortillas. The first ingredient is water, the second whole wheat. They also
> contain oat and soy fiber and lecithin. There are several brands, the only
> one I tried was from "Ole Mexican Foods," called "La Banderita." They are a
> little more expensive than regular because you get 8 instead of 10
> tortillas. But at $2, still a deal.
>
> My husband likes burritos and soft tacos filled with different things. I
> like to make leftover beef and pork in to "taco meat," and yesterday I had
> scrambled eggs with salsa and melted cheddar in a tortilla, it was
> wonderful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 May 2013 20:07:53 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> The Mission low-carb whole wheat small tortillas are under $3 here.

I need to look for those. So far, they haven't caught my eye - not
saying they aren't there, just that I haven't noticed them yet.
Googling, I see there are also low carb tortilla chips. Must look for
those too and see how they taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2013 1:36 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 21 May 2013 20:07:53 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> The Mission low-carb whole wheat small tortillas are under $3 here.

> I need to look for those. So far, they haven't caught my eye - not
> saying they aren't there, just that I haven't noticed them yet.
> Googling, I see there are also low carb tortilla chips. Must look for
> those too and see how they taste.

If you need me to, I'll mail some to you. You have my email address.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 May 2013 19:40:41 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> On 5/22/2013 1:36 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 May 2013 20:07:53 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> The Mission low-carb whole wheat small tortillas are under $3 here.

> > I need to look for those. So far, they haven't caught my eye - not
> > saying they aren't there, just that I haven't noticed them yet.
> > Googling, I see there are also low carb tortilla chips. Must look for
> > those too and see how they taste.
> >

> If you need me to, I'll mail some to you. You have my email address.

Thanks for the offer Janet! We do have Mission brand tortillas up
here, so with any luck - it's just a matter of locating or requesting
the low-carb version.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercat View Post
[...]

Well thanks for the heads up on the low carb flour torts. I love them things when done right..which apparently very few Mexican restaurants have a clue about. They are supposed to be nutty and crunchy. Mostly what they bring out is a cross between bubble gum and silly putty. I dont know how they mess them up so bad. The things are real easy to make using a bread machine on the dough setting. I bet a person could whip up a nice batch of the whole wheat models in there. Maybe healthier than what comes from the store. I may have to go find my machine..lol.