Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Freezing Flour Tortillas?

Seems I've been chasing a dragon over the last week... Made some
(soft) tacos, and ran out of meat before tortillas. Still wanted to
eat tacos (the way I make them is one of my fave things to eat).
Bought some meat, ran out of tortillas, then bought some tortillas.
Ran out of meat and almost out of tortillas, and bought both.

I misjudged and ended up with an unopened pack of small flour
tortillas. I'm tacoed out for the moment, but I'd like to store these
tortillas for the next session. Can I freeze them?

Thanks.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silent Stone wrote:
> Seems I've been chasing a dragon over the last week... Made some
> (soft) tacos, and ran out of meat before tortillas. Still wanted to
> eat tacos (the way I make them is one of my fave things to eat).
> Bought some meat, ran out of tortillas, then bought some tortillas.
> Ran out of meat and almost out of tortillas, and bought both.
>
> I misjudged and ended up with an unopened pack of small flour
> tortillas. I'm tacoed out for the moment, but I'd like to store these
> tortillas for the next session. Can I freeze them?
>

> Thanks.
>
> -J

I freeze unopened tortillas all the time. You do have to let them come
to room temp by themselves or they will sometimes stick together. If
they are a little stick-together, warm them in the microwave ever so
slightly and they'll unstick.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silent Stone wrote:
> I misjudged and ended up with an unopened pack of small flour
> tortillas. I'm tacoed out for the moment, but I'd like to store these
> tortillas for the next session. Can I freeze them?

You can freeze them. I would make quesadillas or wraps, and my favorite
way of eating them when I was a kid, was to melt butter on a hot
tortilla, sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar, fold it twice then eat
it. This was my favorite dessert as a kind. Sad, huh? lol

BTW, you can make crispy ones in the oven.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1949...248201,00.html

Enjoy those leftover tortillas.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote on Fri, 08 Jan 2010 17:54:18 -0600:

> Silent Stone wrote:
>> Seems I've been chasing a dragon over the last week... Made some
>> (soft) tacos, and ran out of meat before tortillas. Still wanted to
>> eat tacos (the way I make them is one of my
>> fave things to eat). Bought some meat, ran out of tortillas, then
>> bought some tortillas. Ran out of meat and almost out of
>> tortillas, and bought both.
>>
>> I misjudged and ended up with an unopened pack of small flour
>> tortillas. I'm tacoed out for the moment, but I'd like to
>> store these tortillas for the next session. Can I freeze
>> them?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -J

> I freeze unopened tortillas all the time. You do have to let
> them come to room temp by themselves or they will sometimes
> stick together. If they are a little stick-together, warm them
> in the microwave ever so slightly and they'll unstick.

That's good to know since a sealed package of tortillas will develop
mold even at refrigerator temperature. An opened but clipped shut
package is much more likely to get moldy of course.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Silent Stone > wrote:
> I misjudged and ended up with an unopened pack of small flour
> tortillas. I'm tacoed out for the moment, but I'd like to store these
> tortillas for the next session. Can I freeze them?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -J

Look at the expiration date on the package -- you can store them,
unopened, the way they displayed in the store. After opening, store
them airtight in the fridge.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 12/28/2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> I freeze unopened tortillas all the time. You do have to let them come
> to room temp by themselves or they will sometimes stick together. If
> they are a little stick-together, warm them in the microwave ever so
> slightly and they'll unstick.

I think that separating them before freezing would
help with the sticking problem. I don't freeze
tortillas, but whenever I buy a new pack I open
it and separate all the tortillas on the first day.

I wonder if there wold be any way to make a decent
tortilla keeper. I throw away lots of tortillas.
Maybe if it had an electric arc to create ozone,
that might suppress mold. Or a UV lamp.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's wrote on Sat, 09 Jan 2010 14:10:43 -0600:

> In article
> .
> com>,Silent Stone > wrote:
>> I misjudged and ended up with an unopened pack of small flour
>> tortillas. I'm tacoed out for the moment, but I'd like to
>> store these tortillas for the next session. Can I freeze
>> them?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -J

> Look at the expiration date on the package -- you can store
> them, unopened, the way they displayed in the store. After
> opening, store them airtight in the fridge.

I'm a little bit cautious about tortillas. I have bought an unopened
package. before it's expiration date and found mold.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:02:22 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> Melba's wrote on Sat, 09 Jan 2010 14:10:43 -0600:
>>
>> > In article
>> > .

>> > Look at the expiration date on the package -- you can store
>> > them, unopened, the way they displayed in the store. After
>> > opening, store them airtight in the fridge.

>> I'm a little bit cautious about tortillas. I have bought an unopened
>> package. before it's expiration date and found mold.
>>
>> --
>>
>> James Silverton

>We buy flour tortillas all the time. They are kept in the fridge or in
>the freezer, depending on the size of the package. If your shop has
>mouldy tortillas, they weren't stored properly. Complain to the manager.

They could have been packaged warm/too warm. I had that happen to me
with fresh bakery bread once. It was moldy the next day. However,
unless one just plain doesn't eat tortillas for months, they don't
need to be frozen. Refrigeration is fine - they'll get too hard to
use before any mold appears.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:02:22 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> >James Silverton wrote:

> >> I'm a little bit cautious about tortillas. I have bought an unopened
> >> package. before it's expiration date and found mold.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> James Silverton

> >We buy flour tortillas all the time. They are kept in the fridge or in
> >the freezer, depending on the size of the package. If your shop has
> >mouldy tortillas, they weren't stored properly. Complain to the manager.

> They could have been packaged warm/too warm. I had that happen to me
> with fresh bakery bread once. It was moldy the next day.

That too of course. Our local Mexi-megamart packages their tortillas
warm. However the clientele would eat that package the same day and come
back the next day for more.

>However,
> unless one just plain doesn't eat tortillas for months, they don't
> need to be frozen. Refrigeration is fine - they'll get too hard to
> use before any mold appears.

We freeze both sorts just on general principle. Matter of minutes to
thaw and no staleness or mould.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:55:20 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

>That too of course. Our local Mexi-megamart packages their tortillas
>warm. However the clientele would eat that package the same day and come
>back the next day for more.

Wouldn't they package warm tortillas in paper vs plastic too? I think
mold happens when the moist heat can't escape.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:55:20 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >That too of course. Our local Mexi-megamart packages their tortillas
> >warm. However the clientele would eat that package the same day and come
> >back the next day for more.

> Wouldn't they package warm tortillas in paper vs plastic too? I think
> mold happens when the moist heat can't escape.

No these are packed in plastic bags, straight off the machine. We open
the bag when we get home to let the moisture escape. Have never had
tortillas from there end up with mould though. That can also have to do
with the manufacturing process.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I used to freeze homemade ones. Just be sure to get all of the air out
of it.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com