Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.cooking

Default Any hazard with wok/pan with Teflon coated exterior?

Just got this large wok/pan that's coated inside and out with Teflon.
The bottom of it comes in contact with the heating element, so
obviously the coating on the flat bottom gets somewhat scraped and
dinged.

What about those little flakes of Teflon that are getting burned on
the heating element, are whatever fumes this creates toxic? I believe
the packaging said it was coated with Xylon (?) with some indication
that it's not toxic.

Any thoughts/input regarding this?

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Just got this large wok/pan that's coated inside and out with Teflon.
> The bottom of it comes in contact with the heating element, so
> obviously the coating on the flat bottom gets somewhat scraped and
> dinged.
>
> What about those little flakes of Teflon that are getting burned on
> the heating element, are whatever fumes this creates toxic? I believe
> the packaging said it was coated with Xylon (?) with some indication
> that it's not toxic.
>
> Any thoughts/input regarding this?
>

> Thanks

IMO, you can't do proper wok cooking with a coated pan.

Whatever the coating, it may be OK. I've never seen Teflon on the outside.
Xylon, whatever it is (I suspect your spelling is incorrect as it does not
come up in Google), is not Teflon so check it out some more to see what
chemicals it really is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Just got this large wok/pan that's coated inside and out with Teflon.
> The bottom of it comes in contact with the heating element, so
> obviously the coating on the flat bottom gets somewhat scraped and
> dinged.
>
> What about those little flakes of Teflon that are getting burned on
> the heating element, are whatever fumes this creates toxic? I believe
> the packaging said it was coated with Xylon (?) with some indication
> that it's not toxic.
>
> Any thoughts/input regarding this?
>

> Thanks

Please provide the brand name of the utensil so we can double check your
information. While you're waiting for responses, I would avoid using the
thing. It sounds like a really stupid product.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Any thoughts/input regarding this?

It's Chinese. Must be safe. They wouldn't
sell anything that wasn't. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

>> Any thoughts/input regarding this?

> It's Chinese. Must be safe. They wouldn't
> sell anything that wasn't. :-)

I'm sooooooooo glad I was't drinking anything when I read this. I hate it
when stuff comes out your nose.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>Just got this large wok/pan that's coated inside and out with Teflon.
>>The bottom of it comes in contact with the heating element, so
>>obviously the coating on the flat bottom gets somewhat scraped and
>>dinged.
>>
>>What about those little flakes of Teflon that are getting burned on
>>the heating element, are whatever fumes this creates toxic? I believe
>>the packaging said it was coated with Xylon (?) with some indication
>>that it's not toxic.
>>
>>Any thoughts/input regarding this?
>>

>>Thanks
>>

> IMO, you can't do proper wok cooking with a coated pan.

Plus you don't get a "fond" in non stick pans, not that this is an issue
with traditional wok cooking but is another reason i don't like non
stick pans.
--
JL

> Whatever the coating, it may be OK. I've never seen Teflon on the outside.
> Xylon, whatever it is (I suspect your spelling is incorrect as it does not
> come up in Google), is not Teflon so check it out some more to see what
> chemicals it really is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 11:35 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> Please provide the brand name of the utensil so we can double check your
> information. While you're waiting for responses, I would avoid using the
> thing. It sounds like a really stupid product.

The coating is Xylan, not Xylon as previously noted. The brand is
Asian something -Asian Traditions, Asian Expressions, somethin' like
that. I got it at Wal Mart though I don't see that exact model listed
on their website.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Nov 13, 11:35 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> Please provide the brand name of the utensil so we can double check your
>> information. While you're waiting for responses, I would avoid using the
>> thing. It sounds like a really stupid product.

> The coating is Xylan, not Xylon as previously noted. The brand is
> Asian something -Asian Traditions, Asian Expressions, somethin' like
> that. I got it at Wal Mart though I don't see that exact model listed
> on their website.

Since you bought it and threw away the packaging BEFORE doing any research,
I think you'll go ahead and use it no matter what anyone says here.

How old are you? I'm asking because extreme youth is the only possible
reason you would not have read something about non-stick coating at some
point in your life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> How old are you? I'm asking because extreme youth is
> the only possible reason you would not have read something
> about non-stick coating at some point in your life.

I have a theory about senile dementia. My theory
is that many cases of people who are batty in their
old age are blamed on "senile dementia", when in fact
they were batty their whole lives but until they got
old, it couldn't be attributed to age.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>
>> How old are you? I'm asking because extreme youth is
>> the only possible reason you would not have read something
>> about non-stick coating at some point in your life.

> I have a theory about senile dementia. My theory
> is that many cases of people who are batty in their
> old age are blamed on "senile dementia", when in fact
> they were batty their whole lives but until they got
> old, it couldn't be attributed to age.

Funny, but for one thing: I'm correct. How could anyone on this country live
say, 40 years, without reading something about non-stick coatings?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 7:00 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> >> Please provide the brand name of the utensil so we can double check your
> >> information. While you're waiting for responses, I would avoid using the
> >> thing. It sounds like a really stupid product.

> > The coating is Xylan, not Xylon as previously noted. The brand is
> > Asian something -Asian Traditions, Asian Expressions, somethin' like
> > that. I got it at Wal Mart though I don't see that exact model listed
> > on their website.

> Since you bought it and threw away the packaging BEFORE doing any research,
> I think you'll go ahead and use it no matter what anyone says here.

Amazing that you can extrapolate all that from almost no information.
Did I or did I not of my own volition ask a question about potential
hazards anyone might know about?

> How old are you? I'm asking because extreme youth is the only possible
> reason you would not have read something about non-stick coating at some
> point in your life.

So, I take it you have no actual information to impart and prefer
instead to bitch, carp, make assertions you have no basis to make?

I've read that you should only use soft materials such as plastic or
wood on non-stick cookware and once the integrity of the surface is
damaged you shouldn't use it because the particles aren't good for
you. Fumes can be deadly to birds. Have I made an in-depth study of
the chemistry behind them? Nope. Have you?

Do you have anything useful to add to the thread?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

>> > The coating is Xylan, not Xylon as previously noted. The brand is
>> > Asian something -Asian Traditions, Asian Expressions, somethin' like
>> > that. I got it at Wal Mart though I don't see that exact model listed
>> > on their website.

>> Since you bought it and threw away the packaging BEFORE doing any
>> research,
>> I think you'll go ahead and use it no matter what anyone says here.

> Amazing that you can extrapolate all that from almost no information.
> Did I or did I not of my own volition ask a question about potential
> hazards anyone might know about?
>

>> How old are you? I'm asking because extreme youth is the only possible
>> reason you would not have read something about non-stick coating at some
>> point in your life.

> So, I take it you have no actual information to impart and prefer
> instead to bitch, carp, make assertions you have no basis to make?
>
> I've read that you should only use soft materials such as plastic or
> wood on non-stick cookware and once the integrity of the surface is
> damaged you shouldn't use it because the particles aren't good for
> you. Fumes can be deadly to birds. Have I made an in-depth study of
> the chemistry behind them? Nope. Have you?
>
> Do you have anything useful to add to the thread?

Yeah. Next time you're in a Chinese restaurant where you can see the
kitchen, notice whether they're using non-stick woks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 8:53 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> Yeah. Next time you're in a Chinese restaurant where you can see the
> kitchen, notice whether they're using non-stick woks.

Well, of course you're comparing a pan that gets used all day every
day to one that's used occasionally to stir-fry some meat and
veggies.. They also had bare steel wok/pans that require seasoning,
but it seemed this might be impractical if I don't use it all the time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Nov 14, 8:53 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> Yeah. Next time you're in a Chinese restaurant where you can see the
>> kitchen, notice whether they're using non-stick woks.

> Well, of course you're comparing a pan that gets used all day every
> day to one that's used occasionally to stir-fry some meat and
> veggies.. They also had bare steel wok/pans that require seasoning,
> but it seemed this might be impractical if I don't use it all the time.

Why impractical? I have a seasoned cast iron pan. If I only use it twice a
year, the seasoning doesn't care. It doesn't dry up and fly away if it's not
used more often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 9:25 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> > Well, of course you're comparing a pan that gets used all day every
> > day to one that's used occasionally to stir-fry some meat and
> > veggies.. They also had bare steel wok/pans that require seasoning,
> > but it seemed this might be impractical if I don't use it all the time.

> Why impractical? I have a seasoned cast iron pan. If I only use it twice a
> year, the seasoning doesn't care. It doesn't dry up and fly away if it's not
> used more often.

I seem to recall the seasoning directions on the pans I was reading
indicated that if too much time elapsed, it would have to be repeated.
I'm thinking about rust and possibly the oil going rancid?

Getting back to the original question, are you aware of any hazards
per se using a Xylan coated pan?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message news:711ca8b8-1741-4bc6-95a3-
>

> I seem to recall the seasoning directions on the pans I was reading
> indicated that if too much time elapsed, it would have to be repeated.
> I'm thinking about rust and possibly the oil going rancid?

The oil is not oil if it is properly seasoned. It is polymerized and
actually changes form. It will last for many years if done properly.

Cooking on a wok requires certain techniques that cannot be properly
achieved in a coated wok. The bottom is heated very hit and meat is seared
and then brough up to hold on the sides of the wok. Hammered woks work very
well for that, slippery woks perform poorly at that.

If you want true Oriental cooking, get a hammered metal wok. If you want to
pretend, use a coated one.

> Getting back to the original question, are you aware of any hazards
> per se using a Xylan coated pan?

Nothing that I found here leads me to believe one way or the other.

http://www.whitfordww.com/design/solvingprobs.html

http://www.crestcoating.com/xylanpg.html
WHAT IS XYLAN®?
Xylan® coatings have a broad range of properties which make them ideal for a
variety of applications.

Xylan® coatings differ from traditional fluoropolymer coatings in one very
important aspect ... they are composite materials. Lubricants with the
lowest-known coefficient of friction are combined with the newest high
temperature resistant organic polymers to create Xylan® coatings. Together
these ingredients form "plastic alloys" with unique properties:

a.. Wide operating temperature range, from -385º F to +545º F
a.. Outstanding corrosion and chemical resistance
a.. Excellent adhesion and pliability properties
a.. Low coefficient of friction
a.. Superb wear resistance
a.. Flexible curing schedule
a.. Wide color range
Xylan® is available in a range of economical nonstick coatings. It comes in
one-, two- and three-coat versions, including a "no-blast" version that
eliminates a messy and costly step in the production process. Xylan is ideal
for all substrates.