Kswck

Default Cleaning teflon coated pan-suggestions?

Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

Jude

I use an old toothbrush. It scrubs well, but the plastic bristles don't
scratch. I figure if it can get the gunkm off my teeth, it can get the
gunk off my skillet as well!!

Scotty

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
> and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
> Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
>
> How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

Try simmering some water in it while scraping it with a plastic spatula.

Scott

MrsGroover

1) Simmer water on stovetop - I would add placing a single drop of
dishwashing soap. Don't let it come to a boil and scrape with a plastic
spatula - not rubber.

2) Place pan in sink. Place a single dryer sheet (think Bounce) into
the pan. Run hot water into pan - let it set for 20 minutes. Push
plastic spatula into dryer sheet and smush it around scraping up the
junk (which will have softened by now). Then wash as usual.

Should come out fine. Good luck!

cowboy

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
> and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
> Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
>
> How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

by the way, tell the person who gunked it up to stop using "Pam" type
cooking sprays, that is surely what did it, burnt-on Pam is about the only
substance that will stick to teflon

high heat and Pam are the twin enemies of good cookware

Katra

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
> and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
> Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
>
> How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

What on earth did you DO to it???
I just used to wipe mine out with a paper towel!
I clean my foreman grill that way with just a little
spray of glass cleaner....
--
K.
Katra

In article >,
"cowboy" <cacheoverflow@yahooDOTcom> wrote:

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
> > Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
> > and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
> > Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
> >
> > How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?
> >

> by the way, tell the person who gunked it up to stop using "Pam" type
> cooking sprays, that is surely what did it, burnt-on Pam is about the only
> substance that will stick to teflon
>
> high heat and Pam are the twin enemies of good cookware

Ung, I never used ANY kind of oil in my teflon pans when
I had them back in college...

The whole idea of using Teflon in the first place is that
it's "Non-stick". Why would you oil it?????

I'm serious.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Vilco

Mi e' parso che Katra abbia scritto:

> Ung, I never used ANY kind of oil in my teflon pans when
> I had them back in college...
>
> The whole idea of using Teflon in the first place is that
> it's "Non-stick". Why would you oil it?????

Because some recipes calls for oil.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Ginny Sher

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:15:14 -0500, Katra
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "cowboy" <cacheoverflow@yahooDOTcom> wrote:
>
>> "Kswck" > wrote in message
>> > Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
>> > and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
>> > Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
>> >
>> > How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?
>> >

>> by the way, tell the person who gunked it up to stop using "Pam" type
>> cooking sprays, that is surely what did it, burnt-on Pam is about the only
>> substance that will stick to teflon
>>
>> high heat and Pam are the twin enemies of good cookware
>>

>Ung, I never used ANY kind of oil in my teflon pans when
>I had them back in college...
>
>The whole idea of using Teflon in the first place is that
>it's "Non-stick". Why would you oil it?????
>
>I'm serious.

I can't speak for others, but I always add some oil or butter to NS
cookware, especially when I am making eggs. Maybe the heat is too
high, but there is major sticking if I omit it. I like my eggs cooked
hard; maybe that is part of the reason. I guess I've grown to like the
taste of a little oil or butter too.

Ginny
Peter Aitken

"Ginny Sher" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:15:14 -0500, Katra
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,

>>> by the way, tell the person who gunked it up to stop using "Pam" type
>>> cooking sprays, that is surely what did it, burnt-on Pam is about the
>>> only
>>> substance that will stick to teflon
>>>
>>> high heat and Pam are the twin enemies of good cookware
>>>

>>Ung, I never used ANY kind of oil in my teflon pans when
>>I had them back in college...
>>
>>The whole idea of using Teflon in the first place is that
>>it's "Non-stick". Why would you oil it?????
>>
>>I'm serious.

> I can't speak for others, but I always add some oil or butter to NS
> cookware, especially when I am making eggs. Maybe the heat is too
> high, but there is major sticking if I omit it. I like my eggs cooked
> hard; maybe that is part of the reason. I guess I've grown to like the
> taste of a little oil or butter too.
>
> Ginny

Taste is of course the main reason, particuarly with butter and olive oil -
oil is not just to prevent sticking. Also a little oil gives better browning
in a non-stick pan in my experience.

--
Peter Aitken

George

Ginny Sher wrote:

> I can't speak for others, but I always add some oil or butter to NS
> cookware, especially when I am making eggs. Maybe the heat is too
> high, but there is major sticking if I omit it. I like my eggs cooked
> hard; maybe that is part of the reason. I guess I've grown to like the
> taste of a little oil or butter too.
>
> Ginny

Same here, I always add a splash of olive oil when cooking eggs in a
non-stick pan because I like browned food, especially when cooking an
omelette.
AlleyGator

"Kswck" > wrote:

>Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
>and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
>Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
>
>How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

I can't understand how it could be non-stick and be that messed up. I
sometimes use one of those little plastic "paddle" things (about the
size of your palm) that come with pizza stones. Usually, all it takes
is hot water and a rag.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
> and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
> Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
>
> How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

If ytou haven't been able to clean it after soaking and the scrubbie, it is
already damaged to the point it is never going to cook non-stick again.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Katra

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
> > Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
> > and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
> > Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
> >
> > How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

> If ytou haven't been able to clean it after soaking and the scrubbie, it is
> already damaged to the point it is never going to cook non-stick again.

True... ;-)

Even with careful care and cleaning, I used to replace my teflon pans
about every 6 months. For the old ones, I'd remove the handle and use
them as water catchers for potted plants, or treat dishes out in the
chicken yard.

And, I found that the price I paid made no difference so I started
buying the cheap ones.

Now I use Griswold cast iron......
I grew up. <lol>
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Kswck

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Kswck" > wrote:
>
>> Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
>> and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
>> Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
>>
>> How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?
>>

> What on earth did you DO to it???
> I just used to wipe mine out with a paper towel!
> I clean my foreman grill that way with just a little
> spray of glass cleaner....
> --
> K.

I dfidn't do it. Someone else did. But I don't know what was used in the
pan.

Kswck

Thank you all for your suggestions.
"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
> and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
> Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
>
> How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

Katra

In article >, "Kswck" >
wrote:

> "Katra" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Kswck" > wrote:
> >
> >> Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
> >> and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
> >> Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
> >>
> >> How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?
> >>

> > What on earth did you DO to it???
> > I just used to wipe mine out with a paper towel!
> > I clean my foreman grill that way with just a little
> > spray of glass cleaner....
> > --
> > K.

> I dfidn't do it. Someone else did. But I don't know what was used in the
> pan.

Okay... you sure they did not melt plastic in it? ;-)

One thing that usually works for just about anything is to just fill it
with some water and a little dish detergent and let it soak! For several
hours. But it looks like you tried that.

Try soaking it in vinegar, or maybe a bit of 10% bleach.
Bleach water often works for scorches on stainless steel.

If that does not work, just toss it and replace the pan.
They are not generally that expensive.

And put it off limits to everyone else in the house....

Good luck!
--
K.
Kswck

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Kswck" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Katra" > wrote in message

>> > What on earth did you DO to it???
>> > I just used to wipe mine out with a paper towel!
>> > I clean my foreman grill that way with just a little
>> > spray of glass cleaner....
>> > --
>> > K.

>> I dfidn't do it. Someone else did. But I don't know what was used in the
>> pan.
>>

> Okay... you sure they did not melt plastic in it? ;-)
>
> One thing that usually works for just about anything is to just fill it
> with some water and a little dish detergent and let it soak! For several
> hours. But it looks like you tried that.
>
> Try soaking it in vinegar, or maybe a bit of 10% bleach.
> Bleach water often works for scorches on stainless steel.
>
> If that does not work, just toss it and replace the pan.
> They are not generally that expensive.
>
> And put it off limits to everyone else in the house....
>
> Good luck!
> --
> K.

Thank you.

Shaun aRe

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
> and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
> Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
>
> How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

You haven't said what is stuck onto it, but - 'cook it off' - Put a squirt
strong/quality dish soap in it, tablespoon of salt, 3/4 fill with hot water,
set it to simmer on the stove top for a while before washing as usual -
normally gets anything off them. Oh, you can add vinegar too, as that will
help with some things.

Shaun aRe - "When I am cooking, It is *MY* damned kitchen. Obey, leave, or
DIE."

Katra

In article ws.net>,
"Shaun aRe" > wrote:

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
> > Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
> > and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
> > Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
> >
> > How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

> You haven't said what is stuck onto it, but - 'cook it off' - Put a squirt
> strong/quality dish soap in it, tablespoon of salt, 3/4 fill with hot water,
> set it to simmer on the stove top for a while before washing as usual -
> normally gets anything off them. Oh, you can add vinegar too, as that will
> help with some things.
>

> Shaun aRe - "When I am cooking, It is *MY* damned kitchen. Obey, leave, or
> DIE."

Hey Shaun! :-)
Good to see you here!!!!!!!

Hugs!
Kat
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

Shaun aRe

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article ws.net>,
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote:
>
> > "Kswck" > wrote in message
> > > Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking

overnight
> > > and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
> > > Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
> > >
> > > How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

> > You haven't said what is stuck onto it, but - 'cook it off' - Put a

squirt
> > strong/quality dish soap in it, tablespoon of salt, 3/4 fill with hot

water,
> > set it to simmer on the stove top for a while before washing as usual -
> > normally gets anything off them. Oh, you can add vinegar too, as that

will
> > help with some things.
> >

> > Shaun aRe - "When I am cooking, It is *MY* damned kitchen. Obey, leave,

or
> > DIE."
> >

> Hey Shaun! :-)

Hey kat!

> Good to see you here!!!!!!!

Cheers - good to be here! Guess a man can't live on drgs alone huh?
heheheh...

> Hugs!
> Kat

{{{{{HUGS!!!}}}}} to you too me dear!

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Katra

In article ws.net>,
"Shaun aRe" > wrote:

> "Katra" > wrote in message
> > In article ws.net>,

> overnight

> > > You haven't said what is stuck onto it, but - 'cook it off' - Put a

> squirt
> > > strong/quality dish soap in it, tablespoon of salt, 3/4 fill with hot

> water,
> > > set it to simmer on the stove top for a while before washing as usual -
> > > normally gets anything off them. Oh, you can add vinegar too, as that

> will
> > > help with some things.
> > >

> > > Shaun aRe - "When I am cooking, It is *MY* damned kitchen. Obey, leave,

> or
> > > DIE."
> > >

> > Hey Shaun! :-)

> Hey kat!
>
> > Good to see you here!!!!!!!

> Cheers - good to be here! Guess a man can't live on drgs alone huh?
> heheheh...

Yeah, and they can get to be a bit "slow" sometimes!
This one always has something of interest...
I'm going to post Bob's slow cooked brisket method here
as soon as I talk to him today.

BBQ IMHO is one of the better ways to handle one.

--
K.
Shaun aRe

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article ws.net>,
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote:

> > > Hey Shaun! :-)

> > Hey kat!
> >
> > > Good to see you here!!!!!!!

> > Cheers - good to be here! Guess a man can't live on drgs alone huh?
> > heheheh...

> Yeah, and they can get to be a bit "slow" sometimes!

Yes - I keep running out of posts to read and reply too. I've even taken to
playing with a couple of the friendlier, funnier a.d./ trolls FFS. I was
even starting to find PVC entertaining LOL!

> This one always has something of interest...
> I'm going to post Bob's slow cooked brisket method here
> as soon as I talk to him today.
>
> BBQ IMHO is one of the better ways to handle one.

I don't handle my brisket ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - It's just a vicious rumour...

Katra

In article ws.net>,
"Shaun aRe" > wrote:

> "Katra" > wrote in message

> > > Hey kat!

> > > Cheers - good to be here! Guess a man can't live on drgs alone huh?
> > > heheheh...

> > Yeah, and they can get to be a bit "slow" sometimes!

> Yes - I keep running out of posts to read and reply too. I've even taken to
> playing with a couple of the friendlier, funnier a.d./ trolls FFS. I was
> even starting to find PVC entertaining LOL!

Oh Lordy! You WERE Desparate! ;-)
PVC posts here now and again.....

Monday should keep you busy with at least 300 or more posts to peruse!

> > This one always has something of interest...
> > I'm going to post Bob's slow cooked brisket method here
> > as soon as I talk to him today.
> >
> > BBQ IMHO is one of the better ways to handle one.

> I don't handle my brisket ',;~}~
>

> Shaun aRe - It's just a vicious rumour...

<giggles>

--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
HiTech RedNeck

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
> and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
> Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

> How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

I use an "orange cleaner" type spray and a Scotch Brite (non scratch
variety) sponge pad.

Shaun aRe

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article ws.net>,
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote:

> > Yes - I keep running out of posts to read and reply too. I've even taken

> > playing with a couple of the friendlier, funnier a.d./ trolls FFS. I was
> > even starting to find PVC entertaining LOL!

> Oh Lordy! You WERE Desparate! ;-)

She doesn't offend me in the least and has actually been quite humorous on
occasion...

> PVC posts here now and again.....

I noticed, heheheh...

> Monday should keep you busy with at least 300 or more posts to peruse!

Heheheh, 600+!

> > > This one always has something of interest...
> > > I'm going to post Bob's slow cooked brisket method here
> > > as soon as I talk to him today.
> > >
> > > BBQ IMHO is one of the better ways to handle one.

> > I don't handle my brisket ',;~}~
> >

> > Shaun aRe - It's just a vicious rumour...

> <giggles>

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Katra

In article ws.net>,
"Shaun aRe" > wrote:

> "Katra" > wrote in message
> > In article ws.net>,
> > "Shaun aRe" > wrote:

> > > Yes - I keep running out of posts to read and reply too. I've even taken

> > > playing with a couple of the friendlier, funnier a.d./ trolls FFS. I was
> > > even starting to find PVC entertaining LOL!

> > Oh Lordy! You WERE Desparate! ;-)

> She doesn't offend me in the least and has actually been quite humorous on
> occasion...

I just dislike the "handle" and she can get pretty ugly. :-P

I guess it just depends on my mood.

> > PVC posts here now and again.....

> I noticed, heheheh...
>
> > Monday should keep you busy with at least 300 or more posts to peruse!

> Heheheh, 600+!

Glad you signed up? <G>

I just sort by subject! Saves me time.

--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Shaun aRe

"Katra" > wrote in message

taken

was

> > > Oh Lordy! You WERE Desparate! ;-)

> > She doesn't offend me in the least and has actually been quite humorous

on
> > occasion...

> I just dislike the "handle" and she can get pretty ugly. :-P

Uh huh.

> I guess it just depends on my mood.

Uh-huh again!

> > > PVC posts here now and again.....

> > I noticed, heheheh...
> >
> > > Monday should keep you busy with at least 300 or more posts to peruse!

> > Heheheh, 600+!

> Glad you signed up? <G>

Well, there's some interesting info for sure! Some bloody weird people too -
never ceases to amaze me just how angry and argumentative some people can
get over little things, ON USENET LOL! Me, well, if I make a post that
sounds 'angry' I'm usually LMAO IRL ',;~}~

> I just sort by subject! Saves me time.

Uh huh! Heheheheh...

Shaun aRe