Kswck

Default Can oven cleaner be used on teflon coated pans

for the really stuck on stuff?

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> for the really stuck on stuff?

I'd try the Dawn Power Dissolver first. I would expect a heavy duty
oven cleaner to be tought on the non-stick properties.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Edwin Pawlowski

> "Kswck" > wrote:
>
>> for the really stuck on stuff?

If the stuff is really stuck on that much, it is time for a new pan. Teflon
does lose its slickness over time.

zxcvbob

Kswck wrote:
> for the really stuck on stuff?

No. It will attack the aluminum underneath. Just fill with soap and
hot water and let it soak overnight.

-Bob
notbob

On 2005-10-23, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> If the stuff is really stuck on that much, it is time for a new pan. Teflon
> does lose its slickness over time.

Not necessarily. Better Teflon coatings, like Excalibur, really last.
I cooked some TJ's crab cakes that left a really weird and almost
imposible to remove residue. Took me forever with a Scotchbrite pad
to get it off. It's also possible to burn stuff onto a Teflon
coating. I've done it more than once. It's not that Teflon loses its
slickness, it's that the stuff "stuck on" is not slick. A good Teflon
coating will hold up to the scrubbing required to get the "stuck on"
stuff off and restore the Teflon surface.

nb

Ward Abbott

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:48:08 -0400, "Kswck" >
wrote:

>for the really stuck on stuff?

..humm...............why would anything stick to teflon would be the
better question....<vbg>

Sheldon

Kswck wrote:
> for the really stuck on stuff?

I assume you mean clean the exterior... learn to cook more neatly... if
your pans tend to boil over may I suggest larger pans with higher
sides... non stick is cookware with training wheels.

Sheldon

TBK

I consider Teflon pans as "throw away" pans. I give them about 1½ to
2 years before they really become worthless.

By the time I get to that point, I forget how easy eggs are supposed to
move in a pan.

I don't get Teflon stock pots etc. Only skillets. Yeh, they will cost
about $15 and upward for a new one, but it just makes it SO much easier
then trying to clean that old one with the Teflon that has worn off.

Doug Kanter

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> for the really stuck on stuff?

If your teflon pans have stuff that's stuck on that badly, they're ruined.
Throw them away. You probably cooked with too much heat, and shouldn't own
teflon pans.

notbob

On 2005-10-24, Doug Kanter > wrote:

> If your teflon pans have stuff that's stuck on that badly, they're ruined.
> Throw them away. You probably cooked with too much heat, and shouldn't own
> teflon pans.

Complete bullshit! If you buy cheap Teflon pans, you have cheap
Teflon pans. If you buy a quality Teflon pan, this is not the case.
See my previous post in this thread.

nb

Doug Kanter

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-10-24, Doug Kanter > wrote:
>
>> If your teflon pans have stuff that's stuck on that badly, they're
>> ruined.
>> Throw them away. You probably cooked with too much heat, and shouldn't
>> own
>> teflon pans.

> Complete bullshit! If you buy cheap Teflon pans, you have cheap
> Teflon pans. If you buy a quality Teflon pan, this is not the case.
> See my previous post in this thread.
>
> nb

Perhaps, but I found out something interesting yesterday. My son's worked in
3 restaurants over the past year, washing dishes and sometimes assisting the
chefs. I asked him how often he sees non-stick pots & pans. Answer: Never.

notbob

On 2005-10-24, Doug Kanter > wrote:

> 3 restaurants over the past year, washing dishes and sometimes assisting the
> chefs. I asked him how often he sees non-stick pots & pans. Answer: Never.

Wow. Three restaurants. How can I argue such conclusive statistical
evidence?

nb
Doug Kanter

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-10-24, Doug Kanter > wrote:
>

>> 3 restaurants over the past year, washing dishes and sometimes assisting
>> the
>> chefs. I asked him how often he sees non-stick pots & pans. Answer:
>> Never.

> Wow. Three restaurants. How can I argue such conclusive statistical
> evidence?
>
> nb

Thanks for reminding me that 3 out of many million restaurants is not
statistically significant. But, since the 3 were vastly different types of
places, it's still interesting.