Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who's coming for Thanksgiving?

Sheldon wrote:
> On Nov 14, 11:33?am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:

>>> I knew you're dumb as a board... you're confusing groaning board
>>> (which I believe comes from the Old High German gr nan to growl)
>>> with the Swedish term *sm rg sbord*, which means a great variety
>>> but not necessarily of great volume.

>> Irony obviously doesn't register on your thick skull.

> Irony schmirony... you're dumber than rust.

You wish shelly!! keep trying as indeed, trying you are LOL

You wouldn't know irony if it bit you in the bum)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 12:22 am, Sarah Gray > wrote:
> Cindy Fuller wrote:
>
> >I've

> > volunteered to make the "Simon and Garfunkel" dressing,

> what is "simon and garfunkel" dressing?
>
> --
>
> Sarah Gray

Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme?

If we want to get technical, the song that begins "are you going to
Scarborough fair" is a traditional one, author and date unknown. Paul
Simon and Art Garfunkle made it famous in the late 60s to modern audiences.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 1:32?pm, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:

> >> Irony obviously doesn't register on your thick skull.

> > Irony schmirony... you're dumber than rust.

> You wish shelly!! keep trying as indeed, trying you are LOL
>
> You wouldn't know irony if it bit you in the bum

What's ironic is that you're an utter imbeclie but your IQ is too low
to recognize that fact... you're fooling no one with your patronizing
"shelly" routine, that's a dead giveaway of your guilt that you got
caught... smorgasbord never occured to you, Pinocchio nosed LIAR!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Nov 14, 1:32?pm, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:

>>> Irony schmirony... you're dumber than rust.

>> You wish shelly!! keep trying as indeed, trying you are LOL
>>
>> You wouldn't know irony if it bit you in the bum

> What's ironic is that you're an utter imbeclie but your IQ is too low
> to recognize that fact... you're fooling no one with your patronizing
> "shelly" routine, that's a dead giveaway of your guilt that you got
> caught... smorgasbord never occured to you, Pinocchio nosed LIAR!

Oh dear! Why on earth would smorgasbord occur to me? What a tenuous
argument you profer

You are indeed a stupid, arrogant, egoistic wee soul. Very occasionally I
think you might have something to offer. But unfortunately your ignorance
and stupidity shine through, mainly because of your foul mouth and
small minded attacks on anyone and everyone. I suspect that those you
attack are those with whom you feel insecure Never mind shelly baby, I am
sure your sweet grandaughter loves you...... so far But... one
day........ I am sure the adoration of your cats is will be enough)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 2:10 pm, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme?

> If we want to get technical, the song that begins "are you going to
> Scarborough fair" is a traditional one, author and date unknown. Paul
> Simon and Art Garfunkle made it famous in the late 60s to modern audiences.

Thanks, I knew that. When I sing along with Paul and Art I sing
different
lyrics about half the time, because I'm familiar with a couple of
other
versions.

But what other song recorded by Simon and Garfunkel is as useful in
a culinary context?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> > He is an ass. He used to drink way to much and then could be counted on to
> > make lewd and suggestive remarks to women. He is the sort of guy who is
> > part of the crowd but no one really likes him. His brother and sisters are
> > quite nice. I dated on of the sisters for a while, and his brother and I
> > have become good friends. He and his wife come and visit every few years
> > and stay a few days. They usually bring lots of good wine and we have a
> > good time. He and I vent about Bob's cheapness and idiocy.

> Ah, that explains it.
>
> It's usually not this clear cut, but if I had a choice between someone
> who was generous about bringing enough of a good dish to eat but was
> then whiny, stupid, complaining, lewd, and boring, and someone who was
> cheap about getting the bill but was then kind, insightful, sympathetic,
> good natured, and humorous, I'd be tempted to spend my time with the
> latter. Of course, real life has even more variables than that.

Oh I agree. I had a friend who was out of work and low on funds. His wife
and kids were nice. We entertained them a lot and often went to their
place, but would have to take drinks and food. The guy was part Innuit and
his parents had moved up north and sent back lots of Arctic Char and
caribou once in a while. It was usually us footing the bill, but they were
a lot of fun. Unfortunately, he had some well disguises substance abuse
issues and when his wife left him his life went down the toilet.

Cheap Bob is another matter. His goal in life seems to be to get as much as
possible out of life while investing as little as possible. If he had a
more pleasant personality he would be tolerable. It was bad enough that he
mooched off his friends, but bringing along friends to treat them at the
expense of others crosses the line of acceptable behaviour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:

> >> I have no idea. I was taught manners as were most of my friends and
> >> peers. She's of my generation...I don't know what's wrong with her.
> >> She's canadian. Maybe they do things differently there.

> > I don't know about that. I am Canadian. I would be more likely to say that
> > we have a nice dining room set that can easily seat 10, that my wife loves
> > to do the seasonal decorations and that we would like to do it because we
> > don't often get to make us of it.

> I truly meant no offense to canadians....truly.

I didn't think that you did.
:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:39:19 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Dan Abel wrote:
>>
>> I've got the topper for that one (maybe). We had a guy at work who was
>> really cheap. He volunteered to bring the forks. They were the kind
>> that broke if you looked at them sideways.

>I want to say a few words in defense of people who don't like to cook.
>I was in a library school program once where someone got the idea to
>throw a pot-luck end of the year party. There were 40 people in the
>room when the idea was mentioned, and a few people didn't like the idea,
>but the organizer was quickly sending around a sign-up sheet for what
>people would bring. The first person to get the list wrote "paper
>plates." The second wrote "plastic silverware." The third offered to
>bring sodas.
>

>These are people who don't like to cook. They don't like to shop for
>the best foods from bakeries and gourmet take-out joints. I suppose
>they could have politely absented themselves from the party, but then
>they would have missed the chance to socialize with friends. They would
>have been happy to have a party with just soda and chips, but because
>someone had the idea that the party should include food, they got swept
>up in it. Once the food was there, they helped themselves to normal
>portions of it.
>

>If you want to give a party that includes excellent food, then do so.
>Don't "charge" your friends to come to your party in the form of
>bringing food, not when that's something they're not good at. And
>certainly don't blame them when they do make inept efforts.
>

>I have a friend who asks those of her friends who like to cook to bring
>dishes to parties. She doesn't ask the others to help. I love to cook
>and love to show off my cooking so this suits me fine.
>

>--Lia

Two years ago I was organizing a family reunion. My husband said to
one of my cousins that the younger generation would probably bring
chips. Laura said, "That's ok as long as they bring the dip." It
turned out that there was enough food for at least twice as many
people, and not anyone only bringing chips. My husband has learned
to relax since he now knows that there will be plenty of food. I do
not expect the single men to be very creative, but some of them
surprise you.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Sarah Gray > said:
> Cindy Fuller wrote:
> >I've
> > volunteered to make the "Simon and Garfunkel" dressing,

> what is "simon and garfunkel" dressing?

I'm guessing it's got "parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme"...

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> I want to say a few words in defense of people who don't like to cook. I
> was in a library school program once where someone got the idea to throw
> a pot-luck end of the year party. There were 40 people in the room when
> the idea was mentioned, and a few people didn't like the idea, but the
> organizer was quickly sending around a sign-up sheet for what people
> would bring. The first person to get the list wrote "paper plates."
> The second wrote "plastic silverware." The third offered to bring sodas.

then perhaps one person can bring ALL the paperware/plasticware/sodas.
The cost isn't unreasonable, and they'd be contributing as much as those
who put a lot of time and money into cooking for a group.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilto
> But what other song recorded by Simon and Garfunkel is as useful in
> a culinary context?

Fakin It
Sparrow (For a very small Thanksgiving dinner, and the sparrow is
already dead.)
Keep the Customer Satisfied (busy restaurant)
Leaves That Are Green (Kale, collards, and spinach, when forgotten in
the fry pan, turn to brown.)
I am A Rock Soup?

HTH!
--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> What was Bob like otherwise? If it weren't for his cheapness at pot
> lucks, would you have liked him? Did he tell a good joke, listen with a
> sympathetic ear, show good insight and have intelligent things to say in
> conversation? What about his guests? Were they enjoyable, likeable
> people?

One of the guys I work with (divorced, but living in an apartment with
kitchen yet never cooks) is a hoot to be with but for some reason
incapable of doing the leg work or make any effort to bring
food/supplies. When it comes to pot lucks we just tell him to pass over
some cash and we'll take care of his contribution. It works well for us
and there are no hurt feelings. He prefers it, and we don't resent his
participation. It just has to be handled with a sense of humor, I guess?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>> I want to say a few words in defense of people who don't like to cook. I
>> was in a library school program once where someone got the idea to throw
>> a pot-luck end of the year party. There were 40 people in the room when
>> the idea was mentioned, and a few people didn't like the idea, but the
>> organizer was quickly sending around a sign-up sheet for what people
>> would bring. The first person to get the list wrote "paper plates." The
>> second wrote "plastic silverware." The third offered to bring sodas.
>>

> then perhaps one person can bring ALL the paperware/plasticware/sodas. The
> cost isn't unreasonable, and they'd be contributing as much as those who
> put a lot of time and money into cooking for a group.

I've worked with people like the ones mentioned ... I think a lot of us
have. Kills them to contribute but they are the first in line when the rest
bring in food. One guy in particular, he was a food hound, he'd find food
the next building over, no exaggeration. But when it was his turn to bring
something in, say when it was his time to bring in birthday food, he'd brag
how he found a plain cake mix for a dollar and made it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> "Becca" > wrote in message

>> Look farther South; Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao. I thought of moving to
>> Costa Rica, but I would miss my family.
>>
>> Becca

> Our son bought a piece of land in Panama and is there now speculating on
> whether to build on it or just keep it for investment. It seems like the
> new hot spot for tourism..... Sharon

That should be a good investment, Sharon, good for him. Panama is
another place I considered. It is beautiful, with nice, rolling hills,
and almond trees that grow right next to the sea. If you build a house
in Panama, you do not have to pay taxes for a number of years. They are
doing this to encourage growth. If you rent out your house to locals,
it is almost impossible to get rid of deadbeats, but vacation rentals
are a possibility.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I've worked with people like the ones mentioned ... I think a lot of us
> have. Kills them to contribute but they are the first in line when the rest
> bring in food. One guy in particular, he was a food hound, he'd find food
> the next building over, no exaggeration. But when it was his turn to bring
> something in, say when it was his time to bring in birthday food, he'd brag
> how he found a plain cake mix for a dollar and made it.

Nobody likes a braggart, and it is not pleasant to listen to someone brag
when they have done something great. It is not surprising that it is even
harder to take when they brag about having done something that the rest of
us would have trouble admitting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> That should be a good investment, Sharon, good for him. Panama is
> another place I considered. It is beautiful, with nice, rolling hills,
> and almond trees that grow right next to the sea. If you build a house
> in Panama, you do not have to pay taxes for a number of years. They are
> doing this to encourage growth. If you rent out your house to locals,
> it is almost impossible to get rid of deadbeats, but vacation rentals
> are a possibility.

A friend of my brother owns a house in Costa Rica and spends his winters
down there. The problem is that he only owns the house, not the land.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:02:58 -0800, Sheldon > wrote:

>So how have you heard groaning board used differently... it's a
>display of pure meaness and gross ignorance to invoke "YMMV" but not
>to illustrate with ones different example.

I guess you were too lazy to read "up thread". I defined it according
to my knowledge and usage.

Sheldon, you need to up your meds. You have been ****ing me off big
time lately and are headed for the kill file if you can't get a grip.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

..net>,
Julian Vrieslander > wrote:

> In article
>
> t>,
> Cindy Fuller > wrote:
>
> > I've
> > volunteered to make the "Simon and Garfunkel" dressing, and the SO may
> > make a pie. (Rather, we will make the pie together. I'm the crust
> > maker in our home.)

> Hey, wait a minute. The SO is perfectly capable of making a graham
> cracker crust, which is the only acceptable base for a Key Lime pie.
> I'll admit to being flour-crust-challenged. They usually come out like
> glue balls.

I seem to recall a time or two when you had a hard time with the graham
cracker crust. I'm not sure I'm a pie crust expert, but I have found a
recipe that works for my purposes.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

..net>,
Julian Vrieslander > wrote:

> In article >,
> Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
> > If you folks have the Bouchon cookbook, the pastry that Keller uses
> > for his quiche is marvelous. Works well even for
> > flour-crust-challenged folks.

> I don't know if Cindy has that one in her huge cookbook collection, but
> pate brisee (often used for quiche) is the only flour crust that I've
> been able to make successfully.

I don't have Keller's cookbook. I just use a food processor crust
recipe from the King Arthur 200th Anniversary Cookbook. I use all
butter because I don't keep shortening in the house.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
>> i think it's time to say 'we'll be eating at six. after that, you're
>> on your own.'
>>

> I used to know a guy who was a bit of a curmudgeon. He was a real stickler
> about time and didn't think much of his grown step children. They were
> always late. They would be invited for dinner at a certain time. They sat
> down to eat at the appointed time and then he put the food away and clean
> up. If they showed up let they didn't get fed.

OMG...I think I must be turning into a curmudgeon. I understand this
guy totally!

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message >
> from ravenlynne > contains these words:
>
>> Actually, you're right. They called back last night to ask that we do it
>> at their house since "we have a beautiful dining room set and beautiful
>> matched linens and you don't". She literally said that.

> LOL. Sometimes people are trying so hard to not say what they really
> think, it accidentally comes out. A(paying) guest here, who was on a
> househunting trip, complained about the agent taking her to view
> property with the kind of home decorating she hates, like purple
> kitchens. Well, I have only ever seen one purple kitchen in my life and
> we were standing in mine. Was her face red...
>
> I'm not entirely immune myself. At a dinner party once, the hostess
> served a dessert so terrible that the guests all fell silent.. She asked
> what we thought of the recipe and I SWEAR, I intended to make a big kind
> diplomatic lie and say "It's absolutely delicious". Unfortunately, what
> came out of my mouth were the words "It's absolutely disgusting".
>
> Janet

The point is, nothing has changed in my house in between the two phone
calls. When we called with the invite, they could have turned us
down....especially since it seems that they're having like 14 people
over. They didn't have to try to drag the kit and caboodle here, then
insult my house.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:27:15 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:14:49 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:
>
>>"Nexis" > dropped this
: in rec.food.cooking

>>> Now that sounds like me, Michael. I love having people over, and I
>>> love to cook for them. Then I want to go to my room and hide until
>>> they leave I don't, though. I put on a smile and sometimes, I even
>>> have fun. ;-)
>>>
>>> kimberly

>>I'm thinking it is just the stress and planning of it all. The actual
>>event is somewhat anti-climatic IMO.

>The only event that lives up to expectations is childbirth.
>
>Lou

You haven't been through it physically, Lou. Believe it or not,
childbirth is NOT what you think it is unless - you were alluding to
how much pain and aggravation it is. The resulting kid is no more
lovable than a baby rat. Fortunately, they grow out of that phase
quickly.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:27:15 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:14:49 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> "Nexis" > dropped this
>>> : in rec.food.cooking

>>> I'm thinking it is just the stress and planning of it all. The actual
>>> event is somewhat anti-climatic IMO.

>> The only event that lives up to expectations is childbirth.
>>
>> Lou

> You haven't been through it physically, Lou. Believe it or not,
> childbirth is NOT what you think it is unless - you were alluding to
> how much pain and aggravation it is. The resulting kid is no more
> lovable than a baby rat. Fortunately, they grow out of that phase
> quickly.

they do?

--

Sarah Gray

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 02:08:40 -0500, Sarah Gray
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:27:15 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>>
>>> The only event that lives up to expectations is childbirth.
>>>
>>> Lou

>> You haven't been through it physically, Lou. Believe it or not,
>> childbirth is NOT what you think it is unless - you were alluding to
>> how much pain and aggravation it is. The resulting kid is no more
>> lovable than a baby rat. Fortunately, they grow out of that phase
>> quickly.
>>

>they do?

LOLOL! You're right. Some need 20 or 30 years to develop into a real
human being.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 02:08:40 -0500, Sarah Gray
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> You haven't been through it physically, Lou. Believe it or not,
>>> childbirth is NOT what you think it is unless - you were alluding to
>>> how much pain and aggravation it is. The resulting kid is no more
>>> lovable than a baby rat. Fortunately, they grow out of that phase
>>> quickly.
>>>

>> they do?
>>

> LOLOL! You're right. Some need 20 or 30 years to develop into a real
> human being.

And some always remain rats.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:54:05 +0200, ravenlynne >
wrote:

>And some always remain rats.

true dat.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> The point is, nothing has changed in my house in between the two phone
> calls. When we called with the invite, they could have turned us
> down....especially since it seems that they're having like 14 people
> over. They didn't have to try to drag the kit and caboodle here, then
> insult my house.
>
> --
> -Gina in Italy

Put it out of your mind. I don't have matching whatevers on purpose. It
just seems so predictible. I have deliberately unmatched things that I can
combine in what I think are artful ways. Most people get it and like it.
Many even know that I gave all that wedding set stuff to the ex when we
parted, thinking I could make my life more interesting without him or that
stuff.

So far it's working. Just change your feelings about it, because you won't
change her.
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 4:23 pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sat 10 Nov 2007 04:12:15p, Julia Altshuler meant to say...
>

> > I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> > up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.

> > Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

> > My best friend in another state has twin daughters at college nearby.
> > I've invited them for Thanksgiving and feel like such a sneak. She had
> > to diaper them and bring them up. Now I move in and get them for the
> > easy fun stuff. I told them they were welcome to invite a roommate or
> > anyone else who would like an invitation for the weekend. They've
> > invited a friend originally from Serbia and Croatia and whose family is
> > now in Ohio. So I'll give them a bedroom and let them sort out who
> > sleeps on bedrolls on the floor.

> > Definites: turkey and stuffing, cranberry dressing, baked squash,
> > pumpkin pie, apple crisp.

> > Optional and still in the planning stage: pecan pie, corn bread,
> > something green like spinach or kale, cranberry muffins.

> > I also need to feed them Wednesday night, the Friday after Thanksgiving,
> > and Saturday before delivering them back to the dorm: crepes suzettes,
> > roast beef sandwiches, quinoa-parsley salad, something with phyllo dough
> > like tiropita.

> > --Lia

> No one. It will just be David and me, but I will cook as though there were
> 6-8 of us.
>
> Roast turkey breast (David loves it, but since I don't care much for it, I
> will only eat it at one meal), cornbread dressing with toasted pecans and
> dried cranberries, fresh candied yams, mashed potatotes, Brussels sprouts,
> corn pudding, gravy, homemade rolls, homemade fresh pumpkin pie, and
> homemade mince pie.
>
> There will be no salads.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> (to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)
> __________________________________________________ ____________
>
> OK, I'm weird ! But I'm saving up to be eccentric. - Hide quoted text -

Hi
your comments are great .turkey s taste is fine but my children
like ckecken but honeyed chicken mostly.
so i searched and found thats recipi at http://www.foodsfun.com and
now its very easy for me .if there is any honeyd turky recipie then
pls tell me..Thans and regards.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Becca wrote:
> >

> > That should be a good investment, Sharon, good for him. Panama is
> > another place I considered. It is beautiful, with nice, rolling hills,
> > and almond trees that grow right next to the sea. If you build a house
> > in Panama, you do not have to pay taxes for a number of years. They are
> > doing this to encourage growth. If you rent out your house to locals,
> > it is almost impossible to get rid of deadbeats, but vacation rentals
> > are a possibility.

> A friend of my brother owns a house in Costa Rica and spends his winters
> down there. The problem is that he only owns the house, not the land.

I guess he's safe then, because he bought an empty lot. I'll fill him
in on renting to vacationers only. He may not have heard that. That being
said, he may only hold onto it until it increases in value and sell for a
profit. Time will tell. He's usually pretty savvy about money. He bought a
house in Edmonton, Alberta seven years ago for 120 K and it's value now is
above 400 K...Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> biig wrote:
> > "Becca" > wrote in message

> >> Look farther South; Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao. I thought of moving to
> >> Costa Rica, but I would miss my family.
> >>
> >> Becca

> > Our son bought a piece of land in Panama and is there now speculating

on
> > whether to build on it or just keep it for investment. It seems like

the
> > new hot spot for tourism..... Sharon

> That should be a good investment, Sharon, good for him. Panama is
> another place I considered. It is beautiful, with nice, rolling hills,
> and almond trees that grow right next to the sea. If you build a house
> in Panama, you do not have to pay taxes for a number of years. They are
> doing this to encourage growth. If you rent out your house to locals,
> it is almost impossible to get rid of deadbeats, but vacation rentals
> are a possibility.
>
> Becca
>
> I think he will do well on it...Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ravenlynne > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > ravenlynne > wrote:
> >
> >> We called a friend (a
> >> couple) to invite them...and they're brining their aunt, uncle,

> > The hell you say!!

> Actually, you're right. They called back last night to ask that we do it
> at their house since "we have a beautiful dining room set and beautiful
> matched linens and you don't". She literally said that. So we said "no
> thanks, we'll just have a dinner for our family and our single sailor
> here." This woman has issues with how to speak to people. It's not as
> if they haven't been here before. Ya know, they could have just said no
> in the first place.

Ye gods! LOL! Brining them IS starting to seem like a good idea.

Son Chris has been preparing a roast turkey for Thanksgiving with
friends in Tucson for about 15 years. I'm not sure if he's roasting
birdy in his oven or roasting it at the home where the feast will be
set. But he does bird and dressing and maybe the gravy. All else is
provided by the other guests. Several years ago in discussion with the
folks about the menu they decided that each would bring the dish that
"made it Thanksgiving" in their own homes. So maybe when they'd decide
on the basic meal: meat, potatoes, stuffing/dressing, vegetable,
relishes and/or condiments, salad, desserts they'd start offering what
suited the individual: "Oh, I'll bring wild rice ‹ mom only fixed it
for Thanksgiving" ‹ that sort of thing.

When he first started doing it, my phone would ring beginning the night
before for a consult, refresher, and reassurance about how to prepare
the gizzard, neck, and tail for broth for the dressing. And there'd
usually be another call or two on Thanksgiving Day when he was just
putting birdy in, and maybe when he was getting ready to take birdy out.
Whenever he calls, he doesn't say, "Hi, Mom, how are you?" or something
similar; it's *always* "Mom!" Cracks me up. If he ever greeted me on
the phone with anything else, I'd want to know what was up.

He completed his long distance apprenticeship long ago and maybe three
years ago he surprised us by showing up at our daughter's home ‹ they
had COLLUDED AGAINST THEIR MAMA! It was then my great joy and pleasure
to park my keester on a chair in the kitchen and watch the two of them
work together. The conversation between the three of us and the other
kibitzers was most fun. I miss it.

And the beat goes on.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>>

>> That should be a good investment, Sharon, good for him. Panama is
>> another place I considered. It is beautiful, with nice, rolling hills,
>> and almond trees that grow right next to the sea. If you build a house
>> in Panama, you do not have to pay taxes for a number of years. They are
>> doing this to encourage growth. If you rent out your house to locals,
>> it is almost impossible to get rid of deadbeats, but vacation rentals
>> are a possibility.

> A friend of my brother owns a house in Costa Rica and spends his winters
> down there. The problem is that he only owns the house, not the land.

A house with no land? For me, personally, I would want to own the land.
You can purchase property in Costa Rica without being a resident there.
There are not many countries that allow you to do that.

It is beautiful there, except during the rainy season, and driving in
large cities is not fun. Other than that, it is lovely.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

> I guess he's safe then, because he bought an empty lot. I'll fill him
> in on renting to vacationers only. He may not have heard that. That being
> said, he may only hold onto it until it increases in value and sell for a
> profit. Time will tell. He's usually pretty savvy about money. He bought a
> house in Edmonton, Alberta seven years ago for 120 K and it's value now is
> above 400 K...Sharon

My son had a friend who was born and raised in Panama, then he attended
Texas A&M. I met his parents when they came to visit and I learned a
lot about Panama. I had visited there twice, but I learned much more
from them.

Becca

OB Food

Bean Dip

1 15-ounce can refried beans
4 jalapeno slices
1 T juice from jalapeno jar
1/2 t salt
1/2 t sugar
1/4 t onion powder
1/4 t paprika
1/8 t garlic powder
1/8 t cayenne pepper

(Season to taste. All seasonings are optional.)

Blend the ingredients and chill for at least one hour before serving.
Serve with tortilla chips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote

> Dave Smith wrote:

>> A friend of my brother owns a house in Costa Rica and spends his winters
>> down there. The problem is that he only owns the house, not the land.

> A house with no land? For me, personally, I would want to own the land.
> You can purchase property in Costa Rica without being a resident there.
> There are not many countries that allow you to do that.

Ever catch House Hunters International? Some of those
Central/South America/Caribbean transactions are a little too
'interesting' for my comfort. They are usually, it seems, cash
transactions which means no bank is involved to make sure the
property title is clear. I don't even know if you can get title
insurance. I know, uptight and paranoid. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> Becca wrote:
>>>

>>> That should be a good investment, Sharon, good for him. Panama is
>>> another place I considered. It is beautiful, with nice, rolling hills,
>>> and almond trees that grow right next to the sea. If you build a house
>>> in Panama, you do not have to pay taxes for a number of years. They are
>>> doing this to encourage growth. If you rent out your house to locals,
>>> it is almost impossible to get rid of deadbeats, but vacation rentals
>>> are a possibility.

>> A friend of my brother owns a house in Costa Rica and spends his winters
>> down there. The problem is that he only owns the house, not the land.

> A house with no land? For me, personally, I would want to own the land.
> You can purchase property in Costa Rica without being a resident there.
> There are not many countries that allow you to do that.
>
> It is beautiful there, except during the rainy season, and driving in
> large cities is not fun. Other than that, it is lovely.
>
> Becca

When we bought a house in Hawaii, that is the only way you could buy it --
but after you get past the idea that you're not going to buy it any other
way and that all homes are bought using this concept, then it's not a
problem. (At least not for us at the time.)

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:58:54 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:02:58 -0800, Sheldon > wrote:
>
>>So how have you heard groaning board used differently... it's a
>>display of pure meaness and gross ignorance to invoke "YMMV" but not
>>to illustrate with ones different example.

>I guess you were too lazy to read "up thread". I defined it according
>to my knowledge and usage.
>
>Sheldon, you need to up your meds. You have been ****ing me off big
>time lately and are headed for the kill file if you can't get a grip.

do it now and avoid the rush.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> >> in Panama, you do not have to pay taxes for a number of years. They are
> >> doing this to encourage growth. If you rent out your house to locals,
> >> it is almost impossible to get rid of deadbeats, but vacation rentals
> >> are a possibility.

> > A friend of my brother owns a house in Costa Rica and spends his winters
> > down there. The problem is that he only owns the house, not the land.

> A house with no land? For me, personally, I would want to own the land.
> You can purchase property in Costa Rica without being a resident there.
> There are not many countries that allow you to do that.

I don't know why he was not able to buy the lot. I would be hesitant to
invest in a building without proper title to the land. Even leases can
leave you in a lurch, as a number of people who have leased land on Indian
reservations have discovered.

> It is beautiful there, except during the rainy season, and driving in
> large cities is not fun. Other than that, it is lovely.

He and his wife go down for the winter. He then has someone live in it for
the rest of the year to avoid problems with squatters.