Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who's coming for Thanksgiving?

I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.

Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

My best friend in another state has twin daughters at college nearby.
I've invited them for Thanksgiving and feel like such a sneak. She had
to diaper them and bring them up. Now I move in and get them for the
easy fun stuff. I told them they were welcome to invite a roommate or
anyone else who would like an invitation for the weekend. They've
invited a friend originally from Serbia and Croatia and whose family is
now in Ohio. So I'll give them a bedroom and let them sort out who
sleeps on bedrolls on the floor.

Definites: turkey and stuffing, cranberry dressing, baked squash,
pumpkin pie, apple crisp.

Optional and still in the planning stage: pecan pie, corn bread,
something green like spinach or kale, cranberry muffins.

I also need to feed them Wednesday night, the Friday after Thanksgiving,
and Saturday before delivering them back to the dorm: crepes suzettes,
roast beef sandwiches, quinoa-parsley salad, something with phyllo dough
like tiropita.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 10 Nov 2007 04:12:15p, Julia Altshuler meant to say...

> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>

> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?
>

> My best friend in another state has twin daughters at college nearby.
> I've invited them for Thanksgiving and feel like such a sneak. She had
> to diaper them and bring them up. Now I move in and get them for the
> easy fun stuff. I told them they were welcome to invite a roommate or
> anyone else who would like an invitation for the weekend. They've
> invited a friend originally from Serbia and Croatia and whose family is
> now in Ohio. So I'll give them a bedroom and let them sort out who
> sleeps on bedrolls on the floor.
>

> Definites: turkey and stuffing, cranberry dressing, baked squash,
> pumpkin pie, apple crisp.
>

> Optional and still in the planning stage: pecan pie, corn bread,
> something green like spinach or kale, cranberry muffins.
>

> I also need to feed them Wednesday night, the Friday after Thanksgiving,
> and Saturday before delivering them back to the dorm: crepes suzettes,
> roast beef sandwiches, quinoa-parsley salad, something with phyllo dough
> like tiropita.
>

> --Lia

No one. It will just be David and me, but I will cook as though there were
6-8 of us.

Roast turkey breast (David loves it, but since I don't care much for it, I
will only eat it at one meal), cornbread dressing with toasted pecans and
dried cranberries, fresh candied yams, mashed potatotes, Brussels sprouts,
corn pudding, gravy, homemade rolls, homemade fresh pumpkin pie, and
homemade mince pie.

There will be no salads.

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

OK, I'm weird ! But I'm saving up to be eccentric.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>

> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?
>

> My best friend in another state has twin daughters at college nearby.
> I've invited them for Thanksgiving and feel like such a sneak. She had
> to diaper them and bring them up. Now I move in and get them for the
> easy fun stuff. I told them they were welcome to invite a roommate or
> anyone else who would like an invitation for the weekend. They've
> invited a friend originally from Serbia and Croatia and whose family is
> now in Ohio. So I'll give them a bedroom and let them sort out who
> sleeps on bedrolls on the floor.
>

> Definites: turkey and stuffing, cranberry dressing, baked squash,
> pumpkin pie, apple crisp.
>

> Optional and still in the planning stage: pecan pie, corn bread,
> something green like spinach or kale, cranberry muffins.
>

> I also need to feed them Wednesday night, the Friday after Thanksgiving,
> and Saturday before delivering them back to the dorm: crepes suzettes,
> roast beef sandwiches, quinoa-parsley salad, something with phyllo dough
> like tiropita.

We'll have our usual crowd this year plus a few extras.

Keyron's brother is coming into town, and we're not sure if he'll have
his girlfriend with him or not.

Additionaly one of our friends is coming up from Atlanta so she'll have
to make a stop here.

Then of course we'll have a few local friends over. It's all good though
I haven't figured out anything beyond turkey at this point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 5:12 pm, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>
> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?
>
> My best friend in another state has twin daughters at college nearby.
> I've invited them for Thanksgiving and feel like such a sneak. She had
> to diaper them and bring them up. Now I move in and get them for the
> easy fun stuff.

There are fetishists out there who would go nuts if they read the
above. Twin college age girls who wear diapers.

> I told them they were welcome to invite a roommate or
> anyone else who would like an invitation for the weekend.

---------
You say you got a friend, that she's wilder than you
Why don't you bring her upstairs
If she's so wild then she can join in too
--from Stray Cat Blues, by the Rolling Stones
---------

> They've invited a friend originally from Serbia and Croatia and whose family is
> now in Ohio. So I'll give them a bedroom and let them sort out who
> sleeps on bedrolls on the floor.

This just keeps getting better.

> Definites: turkey and stuffing, cranberry dressing, baked squash,
> pumpkin pie, apple crisp.
>
> Optional and still in the planning stage: pecan pie, corn bread,
> something green like spinach or kale, cranberry muffins.
>
> I also need to feed them Wednesday night, the Friday after Thanksgiving,
> and Saturday before delivering them back to the dorm: crepes suzettes,
> roast beef sandwiches, quinoa-parsley salad, something with phyllo dough
> like tiropita.

The kinky diaper-wearing girls, the food, sounds amazing!

> --Lia

--Bryan, who couldn't resist

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>
> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

No one. All the nice neighbours we used to cook for have moved away and
everyone else I know has somewhere to go.

> My best friend in another state has twin daughters at college nearby.
> I've invited them for Thanksgiving and feel like such a sneak. She had
> to diaper them and bring them up. Now I move in and get them for the
> easy fun stuff. I told them they were welcome to invite a roommate or
> anyone else who would like an invitation for the weekend. They've
> invited a friend originally from Serbia and Croatia and whose family is
> now in Ohio. So I'll give them a bedroom and let them sort out who
> sleeps on bedrolls on the floor.
>
> Definites: turkey and stuffing, cranberry dressing, baked squash,
> pumpkin pie, apple crisp.
>
> Optional and still in the planning stage: pecan pie, corn bread,
> something green like spinach or kale, cranberry muffins.
>
> I also need to feed them Wednesday night, the Friday after Thanksgiving,
> and Saturday before delivering them back to the dorm: crepes suzettes,
> roast beef sandwiches, quinoa-parsley salad, something with phyllo dough
> like tiropita.
>
> --Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>

> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

<snip>

We're going to my parent's house as is my brother and his family. I know I
am making a batch of gluten free pumpkin bars and the recipe for the
potatoes and onions from Gordon Ramsey that was posted here, subbing in
turkey broth for the chicken. My mom is allergic to chicken. Not sure what
else I will be bringing, if anything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>

> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

No one. Thanksgiving day we'll be going to a friend's place. Usually six
of us that get together, two couples, two singles the youngest of us is
about 55. Our families are dispersed around the US, Canada, and the UK .

We do have a turkey in the freezer though, for another time. At 59¢ a pound
I'm not going to pass it up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:20:16 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>My mom is allergic to chicken.

That's a new one!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming up, I
> thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>

> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?
>

> My best friend in another state has twin daughters at college nearby. I've invited
> them for Thanksgiving and feel like such a sneak. She had to diaper them and bring
> them up. Now I move in and get them for the easy fun stuff. I told them they were
> welcome to invite a roommate or anyone else who would like an invitation for the
> weekend. They've invited a friend originally from Serbia and Croatia and whose
> family is now in Ohio. So I'll give them a bedroom and let them sort out who
> sleeps on bedrolls on the floor.
>

> Definites: turkey and stuffing, cranberry dressing, baked squash, pumpkin pie,
> apple crisp.
>

> Optional and still in the planning stage: pecan pie, corn bread, something green
> like spinach or kale, cranberry muffins.
>

> I also need to feed them Wednesday night, the Friday after Thanksgiving, and
> Saturday before delivering them back to the dorm: crepes suzettes, roast beef
> sandwiches, quinoa-parsley salad, something with phyllo dough like tiropita.
>

> --Lia

This year, I think it will just be my husband and I and the kids (3). Pretty sure his
brother is going to be dragged to his in-laws, so they won't be here til Friday, and
our friends that used to dine with us are unable to attend due to a grandparent's
illness.

Just making a turkey breast, I think, maybe two so I can send some leftovers home
with the eldest. Of course, dressing and mashed taters. Not sure if I'll go with the
yukons or the red skinned golds. Green beans are a must (not the casserole thing
though, these are made with shallots, orange zest, pignons and Murray River flake
salt), and corn for my daughter. Oh, and dinner rolls, of course

There'll be pies, but I haven't decided for certain, except I know I'll be making
this lovely coconut pie I came up with one year. It has almonds in the crust, and a
layer of ganache between crust and filling, and lots of toasted coconut on top. My
daughter calls it almond joy pie.

Sounds like you'll have your hands full!

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London said...

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>
>> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
>> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>>
>> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

We're all driving to your house!

But how embarrassing to eat all the food you cook!

I'll bring the mile-high stack of napkins?

"Grandma what big teeth you have!"

Andy
The better to eat you with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote

> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.

Nice to see you.

> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

My brother's wife just had twins, so naturally they are having
T-Day at their house. Honestly, I don't know how she does it.
Last year I brought Jill's butternut soup, my sil fell madly in love with
it. I've made it for her since (she didn't like the hospital food), and I
know she'll want that again. I bought this fabulous tureen at Wegmans
to put it in, but I think I'll just give it to her and skip the tureen step.

I'll ask if she would like me to bring the turkey, but I know they will
want to make that.

I have become known for bringing cooked shrimp and cocktail sauce
as an appetizer. Not sure how that happened, but could anything be
easier?

Probably dessert, one of my brothers is hooked on the sour cream
cheesecake pie from Delicious Orchards, if I can get into the place
the week of, I'll pick up a couple. There's a place I know that has
terrific Italian butter cookies, I'll grab a couple three pounds of those.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Julia Altshuler" > wrote
>
>> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
>> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
> >> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

Hiya!

Just us....most of the people we know are going out of town or to the
states. I may volunteer for the single sailor program so that a single
sailor can come over and have a meal with our family, but I don't know
yet. We're pretty boring..we eat and watch movies all day...I'll make
something nice for breakfast, then we'll have appetizer-ish stuff around
11, then have the meal at 2...dessert at 4.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 6:12 pm, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>
> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

Just my BIL & SIL. On Saturday. Thursday my sister is doing the
cooking.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:12:15 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
>up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>

>Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

We're going over to the neighbor's---wonderful friends, they treat our
kids like a second set of grandchildren---and we're bringing the
turkey. Three years ago they came over for Thanksgiving, and raved
about how great the turkey and the gravy were. Last year they invited
us over and asked "If we buy the turkey, would you please prepare it?"
That may sound strange but I took it as a great compliment.... There
were about a dozen people over there last year, and all of them loved
the turkey.

So I'm doing it again this year. Funny thing is that there's nothing
special about the type of turkey. It's brined overnight, roasted
un-stuffed and upside down, flipped right-side-up for the last hour or
so to brown the breast. Turning it over while hot is a little
difficult (use silicone potholders and be very careful), but the
tender juiciness of the breast after that treatment is worth it.

We used to drive to my folks in PA for Thanksgiving but a 750 mile
trip on Wednesday, then driving back Saturday, is getting to be a bit
too much.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:12:15 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> > wrote:
>
> >I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> >up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
> >

> >Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

> We're going over to the neighbor's---wonderful friends, they treat our
> kids like a second set of grandchildren---and we're bringing the
> turkey. Three years ago they came over for Thanksgiving, and raved
> about how great the turkey and the gravy were. Last year they invited
> us over and asked "If we buy the turkey, would you please prepare it?"
> That may sound strange but I took it as a great compliment.... There
> were about a dozen people over there last year, and all of them loved
> the turkey.
>
> So I'm doing it again this year. Funny thing is that there's nothing
> special about the type of turkey. It's brined overnight, roasted
> un-stuffed and upside down, flipped right-side-up for the last hour or
> so to brown the breast. Turning it over while hot is a little
> difficult (use silicone potholders and be very careful), but the
> tender juiciness of the breast after that treatment is worth it.
>
> We used to drive to my folks in PA for Thanksgiving but a 750 mile
> trip on Wednesday, then driving back Saturday, is getting to be a bit
> too much.
>
> Best -- Terry

If you don't mind my asking, what do you use to brine it? I mean the
standard salt brine is cool, but you must be adding some other things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>

> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

It'll be hubby, our three little girls, and me, plus my FIL, who's flying in
from SoCal. Still working on the menu, but we're pretty traditional when it
comes to Thanksgiving dinner: turkey, dressing, gravy, garlic mashed taters,
broccoli-rice casserole, some other veggie sides (maybe green beans with
slivered almonds or squash). Pumpkin or sweet potato pie and pecan pie with
freshly-whipped cream for dessert.

Appetizers starting around noon, dinner around 4:00 or 5:00, dessert to
follow.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Arri London said...
>

> > Julia Altshuler wrote:
> >>
> >> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> >> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
> >>
> >> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

> We're all driving to your house!
>
> But how embarrassing to eat all the food you cook!
>
> I'll bring the mile-high stack of napkins?
>
> "Grandma what big teeth you have!"

LOL! With budget restrictions this year, couldn't cook for a crowd
anyway. Not a real fan of turkey in any case, so will buy a turkey
breast or a couple of turkey legs and leave it at that. The cat likes
turkey so she will get her share.

Have a nice holiday!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > wrote in message
> We're pretty boring..we eat and watch movies all day...I'll make
> something nice for breakfast, then we'll have appetizer-ish stuff around
> 11, then have the meal at 2...dessert at 4.

Perfect for the guy that is a little shy and away from home on a big holiday
for the first time. .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "ravenlynne" > wrote in message
>> We're pretty boring..we eat and watch movies all day...I'll make
>> something nice for breakfast, then we'll have appetizer-ish stuff around
>> 11, then have the meal at 2...dessert at 4.

> Perfect for the guy that is a little shy and away from home on a big holiday
> for the first time. .

I remember being 19 and stationed in Japan...really the first time away
from home. Alone in the dorm on christmas day making Kraft Mac n Cheese
a little while before my shift. And crying. I was lonely and homesick.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:22:08 +0200, ravenlynne >
wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Julia Altshuler" > wrote
>>
>>> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
>>> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.

>Hiya!
>
>Just us....most of the people we know are going out of town or to the
>states. I may volunteer for the single sailor program so that a single
>sailor can come over and have a meal with our family, but I don't know
>yet. We're pretty boring..we eat and watch movies all day...I'll make
>something nice for breakfast, then we'll have appetizer-ish stuff around
>11, then have the meal at 2...dessert at 4.

Do it Gina you'll have so much fun. I did that for several years <many
years ago> Just hanging out with a family doing normal family stuff is
all they want, they don't need to be entertained. They'll love being
around the kids also.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 9/16

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving
> coming up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a
> while.
>
> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

My son and his wife. She's from Lima, Peru.
Maybe her nephew and his girlfriend, attending college here but also
from Peru. Shoot - and I don't speak Spanish. I won't even know if
they are complaining about my cooking.

My daughter, her husband, their 14 and 7 year olds.

I'm going to try to con my daughter into bringing the pies.
"Lili from Peru" will be making the salad. Oh, son is in charge of the
wine.

DH is in charge of the turkey and gravy - his specialty and I don't
fight it - just give him lots of praise. ;-)

DH and I will do as much as possible the day before - even to setting
the table. It's hard to get things done once pandemonium arrives.

Me? All the other stuff - plus the rolls. The longstanding tradition
in our house is that I burn the rolls.

Then I'll start singing my favourite song, "I Will Survive!".
(Seriously, looking forward to it but it gets harder every year.)

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:23:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>No one. It will just be David and me, but I will cook as though there were
>6-8 of us.
>
>Roast turkey breast (David loves it, but since I don't care much for it, I
>will only eat it at one meal), cornbread dressing with toasted pecans and
>dried cranberries, fresh candied yams, mashed potatotes, Brussels sprouts,
>corn pudding, gravy, homemade rolls, homemade fresh pumpkin pie, and
>homemade mince pie.
>
>There will be no salads.

About the same scenario here Wayne. The kids are all busy with other
plans and we'll need a break anyway. We've been on holiday since the
middle of July. Louise is starting a much better but more stressful
position tomorrow so turkey day will fall on my shoulders. I don't
like turkey one little bit. I can handle dark meat on a sandwich with
lots of mayo but that's about it. In the years we've been together
I've never made turkey for her. (my bad and selfish) A week ago she
said: "I guess it's going to be another turkeyless Thanksgiving?" So
out of guilt and love I said I'd do a small one for her. She will
need a break by then so it will be a treat for her. I'm thankful to
have her in my life even though she likes turkey. <g>

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:12:15 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
>up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>

>Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?
>

>My best friend in another state has twin daughters at college nearby.
>I've invited them for Thanksgiving and feel like such a sneak. She had
>to diaper them and bring them up. Now I move in and get them for the
>easy fun stuff. I told them they were welcome to invite a roommate or
>anyone else who would like an invitation for the weekend. They've
>invited a friend originally from Serbia and Croatia and whose family is
>now in Ohio. So I'll give them a bedroom and let them sort out who
>sleeps on bedrolls on the floor.
>

>Definites: turkey and stuffing, cranberry dressing, baked squash,
>pumpkin pie, apple crisp.
>

>Optional and still in the planning stage: pecan pie, corn bread,
>something green like spinach or kale, cranberry muffins.
>

>I also need to feed them Wednesday night, the Friday after Thanksgiving,
>and Saturday before delivering them back to the dorm: crepes suzettes,
>roast beef sandwiches, quinoa-parsley salad, something with phyllo dough
>like tiropita.
>

>--Lia

Both of my sons will be here. My DIL decided to go to Florida with
her parents. It will be fun having both of them here at the same
time.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 02:10:13p, Lou Decruss meant to say...

> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:23:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>No one. It will just be David and me, but I will cook as though there
>>were 6-8 of us.
>>
>>Roast turkey breast (David loves it, but since I don't care much for it,
>>I will only eat it at one meal), cornbread dressing with toasted pecans
>>and dried cranberries, fresh candied yams, mashed potatotes, Brussels
>>sprouts, corn pudding, gravy, homemade rolls, homemade fresh pumpkin
>>pie, and homemade mince pie.
>>
>>There will be no salads.

> About the same scenario here Wayne. The kids are all busy with other
> plans and we'll need a break anyway. We've been on holiday since the
> middle of July. Louise is starting a much better but more stressful
> position tomorrow so turkey day will fall on my shoulders. I don't
> like turkey one little bit. I can handle dark meat on a sandwich with
> lots of mayo but that's about it. In the years we've been together
> I've never made turkey for her. (my bad and selfish) A week ago she
> said: "I guess it's going to be another turkeyless Thanksgiving?" So
> out of guilt and love I said I'd do a small one for her. She will
> need a break by then so it will be a treat for her. I'm thankful to
> have her in my life even though she likes turkey. <g>
>
> Lou

Glad you're doing that, Lou. I'm sure the turkey will be greatly
appreciated!

I will eat 1 slice of turkey (well covered in gravy), after that I don't
want to see it again. I've just never liked it. I always make sure that
there are plenty of side dishes I do like, so I never suffer the holiday.
<g>

Our office has their annual Thanksgiving "pot luck" on 11/16. The company
provides baked hams and roasted turkeys. Employees bring everything else,
and I've never actually seen so much food in one place at any one time.
(It's a very large office). It's usually a very nice time.

Have a great holiday.

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

OK, I'm weird ! But I'm saving up to be eccentric.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:48:46 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Glad you're doing that, Lou. I'm sure the turkey will be greatly
>appreciated!
>
>I will eat 1 slice of turkey (well covered in gravy), after that I don't
>want to see it again. I've just never liked it. I always make sure that
>there are plenty of side dishes I do like, so I never suffer the holiday.
><g>
>
>Our office has their annual Thanksgiving "pot luck" on 11/16. The company
>provides baked hams and roasted turkeys. Employees bring everything else,
>and I've never actually seen so much food in one place at any one time.
>(It's a very large office). It's usually a very nice time.
>
>Have a great holiday.

Thanks.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" wrote

>>> 11, then have the meal at 2...dessert at 4.

>> Perfect for the guy that is a little shy and away from home on a big
>> holiday for the first time. .

> I remember being 19 and stationed in Japan...really the first time away
> from home. Alone in the dorm on christmas day making Kraft Mac n Cheese a
> little while before my shift. And crying. I was lonely and homesick.

I hadnt answered this thread as I thouhgt I would be a bit to 'unique' yet
again. <grin>. I always think of that lone sailor away for the first time
like you were.

I have no clue who's going to be eating with us for thanksgiving this time.
When I was on the Fort Mchenry in Sasebo, I took all the single guys from my
shop and their girlfriends home with us (except the first one there, we got
in the afternoon of the day before and were not setup with any food). When
I was on the Essex (also Sasebo) we'd take a group from the ship or the
neighbors who's mom/dad were out at sea still and make a big group thing.

This time, we are waiting to see if the household goods arrive in time to do
a big spread, but we emailed the Naval base to ask where to sign up to take
a few, and that we'd let'em know the menu and how many we can take based on
if our goods from Japan arrive in time. They are due 20NOV but thats just
an estimate. If delivery isnt by the 21st, we can't plan for much. If it
gets here by the 15th or so, we can take up to 20. I prefer to take a shop
and their girlfriends/boyfriends.

I keep Xmas to the family but Thanksgiving, I always have lone sailors and
their dates/friends. I've had up to 30 at a time.

I keep the menu fairly standard with some dishes and vary others so there
isnt so much last second rush for the oven.

Here's a sample of the last time I did it in my Virginia beach home: It was
one of the larger groups, 25 or so.

1 stuffed turkey, largest I could get in my oven. Believe this was 35lbs?
One of the *big* ones. Place rack on lowest level and had maybe 3 inch
clearance on the top. I had to cook this on a low heat and baste with close
to 2 lbs of butter to keep it moist but it worked.

1 stuffed whole salmon- had to cut this in 1/2 to fit the oven. It was
started after the tukey came out. Takes 35 mins. Fit a tofu rice and
spinach middle as we put the fish together for serving.

Baked ham, about 7 lbs, bone in. This was baked to almost done the day
before with cloves and reheated along with the salmon (and part of why we
had to cut the salmon). The resting time between baking really brings the
cloves to the fore and it's better that way.

15 lbs spuds, mashed, used our crockpot to 'bake' them then the stock pot to
mash in series. Skin on lumpy style.

5 large bags of frozen peas, the other stock pot. Green bean cassarole,
fixed day before and reheated in microwave. 15 acorn squash baked along the
sides of other things then reheated qiickly in microwave with butter,
nutmeg, brwn sugar and cinnomon.

7 lbs roughly of yams made with a sweet base but not as sweet as normally
seen for that. Cinese 5 spice and butter type.

Bell Pepper medly, fast fixed from already chopped bell peppers (various
colors), red onions, fresh mushrooms, olive oil, and black olives. Had to
make 5 large cast iron skillets of this as it was really popular but
fortnately had enough. Moans when I ran out <g>. I had meant this to go
with dinner but started rolling it out early due to an available burner and
well....

5 loaves breadmaker bread.

Sliced cheeses, brined olives, Steamed bok choy with balsalmic vinigrette,
various 'munchies'.

I made gravy at the end off the pan drippings. 1 Turkey and 1 ham.

When they left, I had: 1 mostly clean turkey carcass; 1 salmon skeleton, 1
ham bone (I swear, someone knawed it!), 2 cups mashed potatoes (seems like
that), 1/2 loaf bread, and some peas. Musta had a little gravey too but i
do not recall enough to save.

Was it worth it? HELL YES!!!! Had so much kitchen help I didnt know what
to do with them all but loved every second. Meantime the country boys had a
perfect fire laid in the fireplace the whole time and were teaching the city
kids how to keep one going.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 5:12 pm, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>
> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?
>
> My best friend in another state has twin daughters at college nearby.
> I've invited them for Thanksgiving and feel like such a sneak. She had
> to diaper them and bring them up. Now I move in and get them for the
> easy fun stuff. I told them they were welcome to invite a roommate or
> anyone else who would like an invitation for the weekend. They've
> invited a friend originally from Serbia and Croatia and whose family is
> now in Ohio. So I'll give them a bedroom and let them sort out who
> sleeps on bedrolls on the floor.
>
> Definites: turkey and stuffing, cranberry dressing, baked squash,
> pumpkin pie, apple crisp.
>
> Optional and still in the planning stage: pecan pie, corn bread,
> something green like spinach or kale, cranberry muffins.
>
> I also need to feed them Wednesday night, the Friday after Thanksgiving,
> and Saturday before delivering them back to the dorm: crepes suzettes,
> roast beef sandwiches, quinoa-parsley salad, something with phyllo dough
> like tiropita.

We're having my mother-in-law and father-in-law over.
I'll get a fresh, un-"enhanced" turkey, and go off of my low carb
regimen for the meal. I'd still rather be with the diaper twins and
their Yugoslavian friend.

> --Lia

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Julia Altshuler > said:

> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
> up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.

Welcome back, Julia - nice to see you posting again. :-)

> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

<snip>

Father, stepmother, grandmother, and of course, husband and boy.
We just decided today who'll be cooking what. I'm hosting so I'll
do the bird, potatoes, gravy, etc. SM is making a pecan-crusted
pumpkin pie that sounds wonderful...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, aem > said:
> On Nov 10, 3:12 pm, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> > Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal? [snip]
> >

> We're invited to friends'. They like my oyster stuffing so I'll take
> that. I may also make a key lime pie since the tree is loaded.
> Somebody will like that in addition to the pumpkin that will be
> there. And I expect to be drafted to make the gravy, as I'm known to
> be somewhat fanatical about that. Not that I do anything particularly
> special with it, but it's very well seasoned, has the right sauce-y
> consistency, and will be truly hot. -aem

My dad was just saying last night that my grandmother always made him
a little side dish of oyster stuffing on holidays. I want to make a
bit for him, but he couldn't remember how she made it. Do you use
large oysters, cut up, or tiny ones? And do you cook them first?

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> We're going to my parent's house as is my brother and his family. I know I
> am making a batch of gluten free pumpkin bars and the recipe for the
> potatoes and onions from Gordon Ramsey that was posted here, subbing in
> turkey broth for the chicken. My mom is allergic to chicken. Not sure what
> else I will be bringing, if anything.

I suppose it is possible to be allergic to any protein, but allergic to
chicken? It sounds so unlikely. You don't just mean that she says
she's allergic as a polite way of saying she hates it and gags at the
thought of eating it?

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 11, 4:50 pm, (Little Malice) wrote:

> My dad was just saying last night that my grandmother always made him
> a little side dish of oyster stuffing on holidays. I want to make a
> bit for him, but he couldn't remember how she made it. Do you use
> large oysters, cut up, or tiny ones? And do you cook them first?

I use one large can of oysters, slightly chopped, and a small tin of
smoked oysters, chopped. Sometimes I also chop some black olives and
add them, for a different saltiness. So, it's typically: cornbread,
celery, onion, oysters, smoked oysters, olives, stock to moisten.
Poaching fresh oysters separately as a prep step would be a
theoretical improvement but not worth the trouble, imho, for such a
multi-dish meal as T-Day usually is. And the result is just fine. -
aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MareCat wrote:
> Still working on the menu, but we're pretty traditional when it
> comes to Thanksgiving dinner: turkey, dressing, gravy, garlic mashed taters,
> broccoli-rice casserole, some other veggie sides (maybe green beans with
> slivered almonds or squash). Pumpkin or sweet potato pie and pecan pie with
> freshly-whipped cream for dessert.

I don't remember whom I was talking to several years ago, but I said
that our Thanksgiving meal was going to be standard traditional. My
acquaintance asked what I meant by that. Little did I know that there
are dozens are traditional Thanksgiving meals. Scads of people serve
roast beef and think turkey is weird. Historically, venison was the
Thanksgiving meal of choice in some sections of the country. Turkey,
which I always thought meant roasted, turns out to be minced or fried.
And fist fights can break out over the meaning of stuffing.

For me, a Thanksgiving meal must incorporate the following ingredients:

apples
corn
cranberries
pecans
potatoes
pumpkin
sweet potatoes and/or winter squash
turkey

There's loads of variables in how those ingredients are mixed and
matched into bread (corn bread with cranberries, pumpkin bread pecans)
or dessert (pecan pie, apple crisp, sweet potato pie with cranberries), etc.

I got an idea for a green vegetable tonight. We order it at a tapas
restaurant, and I've made it once befo collards or kale cooked on
top of the stove in oil with garlic, lemon, pine nuts and white raisins.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:34:57 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>I got an idea for a green vegetable tonight. We order it at a tapas
>restaurant, and I've made it once befo collards or kale cooked on
>top of the stove in oil with garlic, lemon, pine nuts and white raisins.
>

>--Lia

I have seen that in Spanish cookbooks, except they use spinach instead
of tougher greens..

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> MareCat wrote:
>> Still working on the menu, but we're pretty traditional when it comes
>> to Thanksgiving dinner: turkey, dressing, gravy, garlic mashed taters,
>> broccoli-rice casserole, some other veggie sides (maybe green beans
>> with slivered almonds or squash). Pumpkin or sweet potato pie and
>> pecan pie with freshly-whipped cream for dessert.

> I don't remember whom I was talking to several years ago, but I said
> that our Thanksgiving meal was going to be standard traditional. My
> acquaintance asked what I meant by that. Little did I know that there
> are dozens are traditional Thanksgiving meals. Scads of people serve
> roast beef and think turkey is weird. Historically, venison was the
> Thanksgiving meal of choice in some sections of the country. Turkey,
> which I always thought meant roasted, turns out to be minced or fried.
> And fist fights can break out over the meaning of stuffing.
>

> For me, a Thanksgiving meal must incorporate the following ingredients:
>

> apples
> corn
> cranberries
> pecans
> potatoes
> pumpkin
> sweet potatoes and/or winter squash
> turkey

To me it's:

Roast Turkey
Cranberry sauce (jellied is ok, but I like the chopped-whole-with orange
kind)
Winter squash
Mashed Potatoes
Stuffing
Pumpkin
mincemeat (a recent addition!)

I have been at Thanksgivings where one or more of these components was
missing, and it just wasn't the same...
My brother thinks I'm gross because I'll layer leftovers on challah as a
sandwich (i.e. turkey, squash, potatoes, stuffing, cranberry). a
"Thanksgiving sandwich" is one of my favorite parts of the whole thing!

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 08:34:19p, Michael "Dog3" meant to say...

> Julia Altshuler > dropped this
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving
>> coming up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a
>> while.
>>

>> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

> 23 people so far. Most of them Steven's relatives. I had to add 2 from
> the original list. Steven's niece decided to get married Halloween day
> and the new husband has a child from a previous married. He has full
> custody of the child. I'm already over Thanksgiving and I haven't even
> started. I'm afraid that I'm getting to be a scroogy old crumudgeon
> these days.
>
> Michael

23 people would drive me right out the door! I don't even like that many
people in my house at one time, let alone for a meal. <g>

Sounds like it's time for a "catered affair"!

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

OK, I'm weird ! But I'm saving up to be eccentric.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cshenk wrote:
> "ravenlynne" wrote

>>> Perfect for the guy that is a little shy and away from home on a big
>>> holiday for the first time. .

>> I remember being 19 and stationed in Japan...really the first time away
>> from home. Alone in the dorm on christmas day making Kraft Mac n Cheese a
>> little while before my shift. And crying. I was lonely and homesick.

> I hadnt answered this thread as I thouhgt I would be a bit to 'unique' yet
> again. <grin>. I always think of that lone sailor away for the first time
> like you were.

I hadn't decided, but things have been odd this year, and I didn't know
if I felt like being "invaded" by people that I've never met. But the
more I thought about it, the more I felt that I wanted to do it. I just
emailed the base ombudsman who's running it and told her that I have room.

> I have no clue who's going to be eating with us for thanksgiving this time.
> When I was on the Fort Mchenry in Sasebo,

I was at Yokota. (prime duty on an AF base for a squid)....After I had
my daughter and moved on base, I had my whole command over for
Thanksgiving. It was great.

> Was it worth it? HELL YES!!!! Had so much kitchen help I didnt know what
> to do with them all but loved every second. Meantime the country boys had a
> perfect fire laid in the fireplace the whole time and were teaching the city
> kids how to keep one going.

Sounds like you had a great time! I'd love a fireplace on days like
today...cloudy, rainy, chilly.

Apps:

Baked brie with caramel/walnuts and crusty bread
Mini quiche
veggie tray
deviled eggs

Dinner:
Turkey
Gravy
Dressing (I don't do stuffed turkeys...I just do the "stuffing" in a pan
and bake it. It's loaded with sausage, onions, celery, apples and
cranberries)
Sweet potato casserole
corn
green beans
maybe a potato salad
maybe ambrosia
rolls

Dessert
Bourbon chocolate pecan pie
Pumpkin praline cheesecake

I don't have formal seating..but I do have lots of seating, so I'll
probably put everything out buffet style and sit where we can.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> One time on Usenet, aem > said:
>> On Nov 10, 3:12 pm, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>>> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal? [snip]
>>>

>> We're invited to friends'. They like my oyster stuffing so I'll take
>> that. I may also make a key lime pie since the tree is loaded.
>> Somebody will like that in addition to the pumpkin that will be
>> there. And I expect to be drafted to make the gravy, as I'm known to
>> be somewhat fanatical about that. Not that I do anything particularly
>> special with it, but it's very well seasoned, has the right sauce-y
>> consistency, and will be truly hot. -aem

> My dad was just saying last night that my grandmother always made him
> a little side dish of oyster stuffing on holidays. I want to make a
> bit for him, but he couldn't remember how she made it. Do you use
> large oysters, cut up, or tiny ones? And do you cook them first?

My grandmother always makes that..I have to be in the right mood for it.
I think she uses small oysters...She also always makes shrimp and
mirliton stuffing.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 08:34:19p, Michael "Dog3" meant to say...
>
>> Julia Altshuler > dropped this
>> : in rec.food.cooking
>>
>>> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving
>>> coming up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a
>>> while.
>>>

>>> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

>> 23 people so far. Most of them Steven's relatives. I had to add 2 from
>> the original list. Steven's niece decided to get married Halloween day
>> and the new husband has a child from a previous married. He has full
>> custody of the child. I'm already over Thanksgiving and I haven't even
>> started. I'm afraid that I'm getting to be a scroogy old crumudgeon
>> these days.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> 23 people would drive me right out the door! I don't even like that many
> people in my house at one time, let alone for a meal. <g>
>
> Sounds like it's time for a "catered affair"!

I couldn't fit 23 people in here. This is the smallest navy housing
I've ever been in.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> :
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 02:10:13p, Lou Decruss meant to say...
>>> About the same scenario here Wayne. The kids are all busy with other
>>> plans and we'll need a break anyway. We've been on holiday since the
>>> middle of July. Louise is starting a much better but more stressful
>>> position tomorrow so turkey day will fall on my shoulders. I don't
>>> like turkey one little bit. I can handle dark meat on a sandwich
>>> with lots of mayo but that's about it. In the years we've been
>>> together I've never made turkey for her. (my bad and selfish) A
>>> week ago she said: "I guess it's going to be another turkeyless
>>> Thanksgiving?" So out of guilt and love I said I'd do a small one
>>> for her. She will need a break by then so it will be a treat for
>>> her. I'm thankful to have her in my life even though she likes
>>> turkey. <g>

> I just love to hear people speaking about their SO like that)
>
> It just warms the cockles of the heart))

That was sweet, wasn't it?

So we've gone for 3 adults and two kids (that's including the single
sailor) to to 9 adults and 3 kids in an hour. We called a friend (a
couple) to invite them...and they're brining their aunt, uncle, they're
two single sailors and a 7 year old. Ha! We need a bigger menu!

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:45:31 -0500, T >
wrote:

>If you don't mind my asking, what do you use to brine it? I mean the
>standard salt brine is cool, but you must be adding some other things.

Nope, just salt in water, brined overnight. The first time I tried it
many years ago, I learned that you have to rinse very thoroughly
afterward unless you like extremely salty gravy... :-(

Best -- Terry