Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can anyone recommend a high quality cooking chocolate, for mousse, say?

Thank you, I'm not sure where to start, or what is considered a good
quality chocolate.

There was a wonderful, and very interesting, article on the
complexities of cocoa, and family life, in last week's New Yorker (the
one with the pumpkin Cheney on the cover). Now I feel on a quest for
the perfect chocolate. The perfect, fairly inexpensive chocolate, that
is...

Thanks...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
> Thank you, I'm not sure where to start, or what is considered a good
> quality chocolate.
>
> There was a wonderful, and very interesting, article on the
> complexities of cocoa, and family life, in last week's New Yorker (the
> one with the pumpkin Cheney on the cover). Now I feel on a quest for
> the perfect chocolate. The perfect, fairly inexpensive chocolate, that
> is...
>
> Thanks...

Mind you, I can only buy certain non-Italian chocolates, so you may get
recommendations more to your liking from others. I use Valrhona chocolate
and cocoa for my better chocolate recipes. Valrhona dark is not the highest
percentage of chocolate solids, but has performed better than higher
percentage chocolates in many trials.

I am also not a big baker since I like savory foods more and concentrate
more on savory foods, but when I had to invent a recipe for a chocolate
competition, I started with Valrhona. I've also never bought Valrhona that
wasn't the highest quality, whereas one kilo of another well-thought-of
brand had noticeable scraps of nuts in it and ruined a chocolate sauce.
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:17:16 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> ha scritto nel messaggio
roups.com...
>> Thank you, I'm not sure where to start, or what is considered a good
>> quality chocolate.
>>
>> There was a wonderful, and very interesting, article on the
>> complexities of cocoa, and family life, in last week's New Yorker (the
>> one with the pumpkin Cheney on the cover). Now I feel on a quest for
>> the perfect chocolate. The perfect, fairly inexpensive chocolate, that
>> is...
>>
>> Thanks...

>Mind you, I can only buy certain non-Italian chocolates, so you may get
>recommendations more to your liking from others. I use Valrhona chocolate
>and cocoa for my better chocolate recipes. Valrhona dark is not the highest
>percentage of chocolate solids, but has performed better than higher
>percentage chocolates in many trials.
>
>I am also not a big baker since I like savory foods more and concentrate
>more on savory foods, but when I had to invent a recipe for a chocolate
>competition, I started with Valrhona. I've also never bought Valrhona that
>wasn't the highest quality, whereas one kilo of another well-thought-of
>brand had noticeable scraps of nuts in it and ruined a chocolate sauce.

For mousse? I just buy Nestles chocolate chips and melt them.
They're fine in mousse. Why waste your money?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> For mousse? I just buy Nestles chocolate chips and melt them.
> They're fine in mousse. Why waste your money?

She probably can't get them in Italy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..
> sf wrote:
>
>> For mousse? I just buy Nestles chocolate chips and melt them.
>> They're fine in mousse. Why waste your money?
>>

> She probably can't get them in Italy.

No, I can't. but I also wasn't the one who asked the question. IMO, mousse
shows the quality of the chocolate more than a lot of things. I've had
mousses that left a really bad aftertaste, presumably from off chocolate.--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote

> No, I can't. but I also wasn't the one who asked the question. IMO,
> mousse shows the quality of the chocolate more than a lot of things. I've
> had mousses that left a really bad aftertaste, presumably from off
> chocolate.--

I don't know why anyone would cheap out on the chocolate if
they are making mousse.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Thank you, I'm not sure where to start, or what is considered a good
>> quality chocolate.
>>
>> There was a wonderful, and very interesting, article on the
>> complexities of cocoa, and family life, in last week's New Yorker (the
>> one with the pumpkin Cheney on the cover). Now I feel on a quest for
>> the perfect chocolate. The perfect, fairly inexpensive chocolate, that
>> is...
>>
>> Thanks...
>>

> I use El Rey (for dark, Gran Saman 70% or Mijao 61%), single-bean
> Venezualan chocolates, but I buy it in 44 lb cases of discos so it is less
> expensive for me. <G> I don't know how much it would cost in the smaller
> bar form that is most commonly available. I used to use Callebaut, since
> it was the most generally available couverture and was usually available
> in largish blocks, but eventually found it too bland. (Note that Callebaut
> has a zillion different dark chocolate formulations, but they are never
> labelled specifically when the retailer chops the big bock into smaller
> pound or half pound portions to wrap and sell. In that form, it is usually
> about $6.99 per pound.) Valrhona also has many forumalas, and is certainly
> very good, but also extremely pricey.
>
> If you want something way, way better than the typical Baker or Hershey
> products but available in many supermarkets, I'd suggest Ghirardelli or
> Lindt.

I've used El Rey and like it, but I prefer for cost (plus I love the taste)
Ghirardelli (available at Trader Joe's very inexpensive for chocolate).

I buy large amounts, but they cut it into squares of about 1/2 lb. maybe
more, maybe less.

Callebaut is always too bland for me -- but I believe the wrapped in paper
TJ's is Callebaut chocolate if you want that.

I keep Valrhona (dark) around for that special something --- never know when
or what it will be.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote

> I use El Rey (for dark, Gran Saman 70% or Mijao 61%), single-bean
> Venezualan chocolates, but I buy it in 44 lb cases of discos so it is less
> expensive for me. <G>

And I'm here to say Janet knows what to do with chocolate.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thank you, I'm not sure where to start, or what is considered a good
> quality chocolate.
>
> There was a wonderful, and very interesting, article on the
> complexities of cocoa, and family life, in last week's New Yorker (the
> one with the pumpkin Cheney on the cover). Now I feel on a quest for
> the perfect chocolate. The perfect, fairly inexpensive chocolate, that
> is...

Ghardelli is my choice of cooking chocolates now. They have a great
selection of flavors of chocolate from very dark to creamy, very smooth milk
chocolate.

Cindi

> Thanks...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Green Xenon [Radium] wrote:
> Janet wrote:
>
>> No cocoa butter in chocolate? Huh?

> Exactly.

um, "no cocoa butter in chocolate" is cocoa powder. Real tasty stuff, that.

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 2:17 am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> > ha scritto nel messaggionews:1194213104.740854.160070@v29g2000prd .googlegroups.com...
>
> > Thank you, I'm not sure where to start, or what is considered a good
> > quality chocolate.

> > There was a wonderful, and very interesting, article on the
> > complexities of cocoa, and family life, in last week's New Yorker (the
> > one with the pumpkin Cheney on the cover). Now I feel on a quest for
> > the perfect chocolate. The perfect, fairly inexpensive chocolate, that
> > is...

> > Thanks...

> Mind you, I can only buy certain non-Italian chocolates, so you may get
> recommendations more to your liking from others. I use Valrhona chocolate
> and cocoa for my better chocolate recipes. Valrhona dark is not the highest
> percentage of chocolate solids, but has performed better than higher
> percentage chocolates in many trials.
>
> I am also not a big baker since I like savory foods more and concentrate
> more on savory foods, but when I had to invent a recipe for a chocolate
> competition, I started with Valrhona. I've also never bought Valrhona that
> wasn't the highest quality, whereas one kilo of another well-thought-of
> brand had noticeable scraps of nuts in it and ruined a chocolate sauce.
> --http://www.judithgreenwood.com

I believe I have had this chocolate, and it was a melt in your mouth
experience. I was eighteen, and never had experienced gourmet
chocolate, or french chocolate, Fannie Mae being a luxury in my family
( and still something I appreciate to this day).

Anyway, a friend of our family had a french girlfriend, (now his wife)
and she had sent him chocolates covered with a bittersweet cocoa
powder, as an "I miss you" present (we were in Boston, she was in
Paris). He was kind enough to share, and I can remember thinking "I
have never tasted anything this good," sort of like hearing Bob Dylan
or Bruce Springsteen for the first time, you know you're sensing
something unique, and great.

It opens doors, you know?

And thank you for the memory, I will try to buy some of this, for my
next mousse, or cake.

The whole concept of high end chocolate is fascinating, it seems more
complex and dramatic than wine making at times.

The New Yorker article was very enlightening, as most New Yorker
articles are...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 10:47 am, "Janet" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...> Thank you, I'm not sure where to start, or what is considered a good
> > quality chocolate.

> > There was a wonderful, and very interesting, article on the
> > complexities of cocoa, and family life, in last week's New Yorker (the
> > one with the pumpkin Cheney on the cover). Now I feel on a quest for
> > the perfect chocolate. The perfect, fairly inexpensive chocolate, that
> > is...

> > Thanks...

> I use El Rey (for dark, Gran Saman 70% or Mijao 61%), single-bean Venezualan
> chocolates, but I buy it in 44 lb cases of discos so it is less expensive
> for me. <G> I don't know how much it would cost in the smaller bar form that
> is most commonly available. I used to use Callebaut, since it was the most
> generally available couverture and was usually available in largish blocks,
> but eventually found it too bland. (Note that Callebaut has a zillion
> different dark chocolate formulations, but they are never labelled
> specifically when the retailer chops the big bock into smaller pound or half
> pound portions to wrap and sell. In that form, it is usually about $6.99 per
> pound.) Valrhona also has many forumalas, and is certainly very good, but
> also extremely pricey.
>
> If you want something way, way better than the typical Baker or Hershey
> products but available in many supermarkets, I'd suggest Ghirardelli or
> Lindt.

http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/

I guess I found a starting point, thank you.

This is a fascinating subject, as much fun as learning about wine...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlie Carnitas, AKA the pirate, rogue dick wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2:17 am, "Giusi" > wrote:
>> > ha scritto nel messaggionews:1194213104.740854.160070@v29g2000prd .googlegroups.com...
>>
>>> Thank you, I'm not sure where to start, or what is considered a good
>>> quality chocolate.
>>> There was a wonderful, and very interesting, article on the
>>> complexities of cocoa, and family life, in last week's New Yorker (the
>>> one with the pumpkin Cheney on the cover). Now I feel on a quest for
>>> the perfect chocolate. The perfect, fairly inexpensive chocolate, that
>>> is...
>>> Thanks...

>> Mind you, I can only buy certain non-Italian chocolates, so you may get
>> recommendations more to your liking from others. I use Valrhona chocolate
>> and cocoa for my better chocolate recipes. Valrhona dark is not the highest
>> percentage of chocolate solids, but has performed better than higher
>> percentage chocolates in many trials.
>>
>> I am also not a big baker since I like savory foods more and concentrate
>> more on savory foods, but when I had to invent a recipe for a chocolate
>> competition, I started with Valrhona. I've also never bought Valrhona that
>> wasn't the highest quality, whereas one kilo of another well-thought-of
>> brand had noticeable scraps of nuts in it and ruined a chocolate sauce.
>> --http://www.judithgreenwood.com

> I believe I have had this chocolate, and it was a melt in your mouth
> experience. I was eighteen, and never had experienced gourmet
> chocolate, or french chocolate, Fannie Mae being a luxury in my family
> ( and still something I appreciate to this day).
>
> Anyway, a friend of our family had a french girlfriend, (now his wife)
> and she had sent him chocolates covered with a bittersweet cocoa
> powder, as an "I miss you" present (we were in Boston, she was in
> Paris). He was kind enough to share, and I can remember thinking "I
> have never tasted anything this good," sort of like hearing Bob Dylan
> or Bruce Springsteen for the first time, you know you're sensing
> something unique, and great.

That is such a good way to describe that feeling. Food, music
or...whatever :>

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 8:17 pm, "Green Xenon [Radium]" >
> > Thank you, I'm not sure where to start, or what is considered a good
> > quality chocolate.

> > There was a wonderful, and very interesting, article on the
> > complexities of cocoa, and family life, in last week's New Yorker (the
> > one with the pumpkin Cheney on the cover). Now I feel on a quest for
> > the perfect chocolate. The perfect, fairly inexpensive chocolate, that
> > is...

> > Thanks...

> The chocolate should not contain any annatto, preservatives,
> carrageenan, polysorbate, milk, cocoa butter or added mono/di- glycerides.
>
> The cacao beans used to make this chocolate should be fermented until
> they smell like Vieux Boulogne cheese. These beans should then be
> roasted until smoking and noticeably charred.
>
> The chocolate should contain real butter and an equal volume of it as
> the milk and cocoa butter present in the milk chocolate of most stores.
> This is like milk chocolate with the cocoa butter and milk removed and
> replaced with an equal volume of real butter.
>
> Real cream = "sweet" [i.e. unsalted and non-soured], annatto-free,
> preservative-free, carrageen-free, carrageenan-free, polysorbate-free,
> purely-natural, completely-organic cream made from the milk of healthy
> cows, free of nonfat milk solids and free of added mono/di- glycerides.
>
> Info on Vieux Boulogne:
>
> http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/17043.php
>
> In addition, all the cacao beans should be completely organic. No
> pesticides or gene-modification should be used in the cacao beans or
> other plants [such as sugar cane] involved in making the chocolate.

This was pretty much the gist of the New Yorker article, mentioning
the beans, and the search for a perfected chocolate. The beans can act
as an intoxicant. Whole Foods sells them, but I'm not sure if I should
eat them, as the author of the article did, immersing himself in the
"dynamic of cocoa."

Cocoa beans are like wine grapes, I guess.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 10:31:51 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> For mousse? I just buy Nestles chocolate chips and melt them.
>> They're fine in mousse. Why waste your money?
>>

>She probably can't get them in Italy.

Either that or they cost a bloody fortune.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

That makes completely NO SENSE. You are ****ing insane.

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:17:47 -0800, "Green Xenon [Radium]"
> wrote:
>
>The chocolate should not contain any annatto, preservatives,
>carrageenan, polysorbate, milk, cocoa butter or added mono/di- glycerides.
>
>The cacao beans used to make this chocolate should be fermented until
>they smell like Vieux Boulogne cheese. These beans should then be
>roasted until smoking and noticeably charred.
>
>The chocolate should contain real butter and an equal volume of it as
>the milk and cocoa butter present in the milk chocolate of most stores.
>This is like milk chocolate with the cocoa butter and milk removed and
>replaced with an equal volume of real butter.
>
>Real cream = "sweet" [i.e. unsalted and non-soured], annatto-free,
>preservative-free, carrageen-free, carrageenan-free, polysorbate-free,
>purely-natural, completely-organic cream made from the milk of healthy
>cows, free of nonfat milk solids and free of added mono/di- glycerides.
>
>Info on Vieux Boulogne:
>
>http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/17043.php
>
>In addition, all the cacao beans should be completely organic. No
>pesticides or gene-modification should be used in the cacao beans or
>other plants [such as sugar cane] involved in making the chocolate.

Since you seem to be just a broken record, it's time to say "au
revoir, arrivederci, adiós, Auf Wiedersehen, goodbye. Plonk.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Sarah Gray wrote:

> Green Xenon [Radium] wrote:
>

>> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> That makes completely NO SENSE. You are ****ing insane.

Hint: This dude is a longtime troll. This isn't the first
group that he's tied in knots.

He hasn't even bothered to change his nick. Looks like
he knows he doesn't have to.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Green Xenon [Radium] wrote:
> Sarah Gray wrote:
>
>> Green Xenon [Radium] wrote:

>>> Yeah but you've got to replace the lost cocoa butter with an equal
>>> volume of real butter.

>> That makes completely NO SENSE.

> How doesn't it? I said to remove all the cocoa butter and replace it
> with an equal volume of real butter. How doesn't that make sense?

I'm sorry, my head just exploded.

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:

> Sarah Gray wrote:
>
>> Green Xenon [Radium] wrote:
>>

>>> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>> That makes completely NO SENSE. You are ****ing insane.
>>

> Hint: This dude is a longtime troll. This isn't the first
> group that he's tied in knots.
>
> He hasn't even bothered to change his nick. Looks like
> he knows he doesn't have to.

I deal with an unreasonable, insufficiently informed person all the
time, so I guess it confused me

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlie Carnitas, AKA the pirate, rogue dick" > ha
scritto nel messaggio
ups.com...
> On Nov 5, 2:17 am, "Giusi" > wrote:

I use Valrhona chocolate
>> and cocoa for my better chocolate recipes. Valrhona dark is not the
>> highest
>> percentage of chocolate solids, but has performed better than higher
>> percentage chocolates in many trials.

> Anyway, a friend of our family had a french girlfriend, (now his wife)
> and she had sent him chocolates covered with a bittersweet cocoa
> powder, as an "I miss you" present (we were in Boston, she was in
> Paris). He was kind enough to share, and I can remember thinking "I
> have never tasted anything this good," sort of like hearing Bob Dylan
> or Bruce Springsteen for the first time, you know you're sensing
> something unique, and great.
>
> It opens doors, you know?
>
> And thank you for the memory, I will try to buy some of this, for my
> next mousse, or cake.

So, presumably chocolate works on guys, too? Must, if they're married. A
project could be to taste every French and Belgian chocolate yopu can find.
How bad could that be?

David Liebowitz is a chocolate expert who blogs from Paris and shows many
small but excellent chocolate makers to the world in general, but then you'd
have to go to Paris. What a tragedy!
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlie Carnitas, AKA the pirate, rogue dick" > ha
scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
The beans can act
> as an intoxicant. Whole Foods sells them, but I'm not sure if I should
> eat them, as the author of the article did, immersing himself in the
> "dynamic of cocoa."
>
> Cocoa beans are like wine grapes, I guess.

Cocoa beans can keep you awake all night. At least you can sleep after
eating wine grapes.--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah Gray" > wrote

> How is adding annato any different than, say, cinnamon? It's a natural
> coloring...

You don't expect actual answers from a troll.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlie Carnitas, AKA the pirate, rogue dick" > wrote
in message

> http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/
>
> I guess I found a starting point, thank you.
>
> This is a fascinating subject, as much fun as learning about wine...

and don't forget coffee.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah Gray" > wrote in message
> Reg wrote:
>>
>> Sarah Gray wrote:

>>> That makes completely NO SENSE. You are ****ing insane.
>>>

>> Hint: This dude is a longtime troll. This isn't the first
>> group that he's tied in knots.
>>
>> He hasn't even bothered to change his nick. Looks like
>> he knows he doesn't have to.
>>

> I deal with an unreasonable, insufficiently informed person all the time,
> so I guess it confused me
>
> --
>
> Sarah Gray

LOL.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Green Xenon [Radium] wrote:
> Janet wrote:

>>> OOPS. That should read:
>>>
>>> Real *butter* = "sweet" [i.e. unsalted and non-soured], annatto-free,
>>> preservative-free, carrageen-free, carrageenan-free,
>>> polysorbate-free, purely-natural, completely-organic *butter* made
>>> from the milk of healthy cows, free of nonfat milk solids and free of
>>> added mono/di- glycerides.

>> I know you are an effing troll, but I do feel compelled for some
>> reason to point out that one of the time-honored methods of making
>> butter involves allowing the cream to "clabber" before churning. Which
>> could be called "soured."

> Not necessarily soured. The cream can be naturally-converted to butter
> without the use of any acidogens.
>
>> If you had ever had such butter, as used to be made by our local dairy
>> farm, whose lovely Jersey cows were to be seen roaming their fields,
>> not penned up in some barn being fed artificial hormones to increase
>> their output, you would have experienced the Platonic ideal of butter.

> Yes.
>
>> Although I have sympathy for your crusade against additives, clearly
>> you know almost as little about butter as you do about chocolate.
>> Note, please that cocoa butter is a natural part of chocolate, and
>> without it it cannot reasonably be considered chocolate.

> So replace the cocoa butter with real butter.

so you want fudge, not chocolate?

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 11:52 pm, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Charlie Carnitas, AKA the pirate, rogue dick" > ha
> scritto nel messaggionews:1194327529.657746.120670@y27g2000pre .googlegroups.com...
> The beans can act
>
> > as an intoxicant. Whole Foods sells them, but I'm not sure if I should
> > eat them, as the author of the article did, immersing himself in the
> > "dynamic of cocoa."

> > Cocoa beans are like wine grapes, I guess.

> Cocoa beans can keep you awake all night. At least you can sleep after
> eating wine grapes.--http://www.judithgreenwood.com

yeah, I was thinking they are a connoisseur item...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 8:17 pm, "Green Xenon [Radium]" >
> > Thank you, I'm not sure where to start, or what is considered a good
> > quality chocolate.

> > There was a wonderful, and very interesting, article on the
> > complexities of cocoa, and family life, in last week's New Yorker (the
> > one with the pumpkin Cheney on the cover). Now I feel on a quest for
> > the perfect chocolate. The perfect, fairly inexpensive chocolate, that
> > is...

> > Thanks...

> The chocolate should not contain any annatto, preservatives,
> carrageenan, polysorbate, milk, cocoa butter or added mono/di- glycerides.
>
> The cacao beans used to make this chocolate should be fermented until
> they smell like Vieux Boulogne cheese. These beans should then be
> roasted until smoking and noticeably charred.
>
> The chocolate should contain real butter and an equal volume of it as
> the milk and cocoa butter present in the milk chocolate of most stores.
> This is like milk chocolate with the cocoa butter and milk removed and
> replaced with an equal volume of real butter.
>
> Real cream = "sweet" [i.e. unsalted and non-soured], annatto-free,
> preservative-free, carrageen-free, carrageenan-free, polysorbate-free,
> purely-natural, completely-organic cream made from the milk of healthy
> cows, free of nonfat milk solids and free of added mono/di- glycerides.
>
> Info on Vieux Boulogne:
>
> http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/17043.php
>
> In addition, all the cacao beans should be completely organic. No
> pesticides or gene-modification should be used in the cacao beans or
> other plants [such as sugar cane] involved in making the chocolate.

I bought Dagoba chocolate from whole foods, as well as clover organic
cream, the only one without any additives.

I am hoping for a superior mousse, as I'm always in the market for a
better mousse.

Thanks.