Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recommend a top-quality slow cooker to buy? (in the UK)

Hi

Can anyone recommend a really good slow cooker?

I want something that:
- allows for extremely slow cooking (e.g. 12 or even 24 hours?)
- gets the food up to temperature fast, (so not much time wasted time
if you put cold water in instead of hot water - important for a 4
hour cooking time)
- has a proper, adjustable thermostat
- has several different levels of cooking speed (at least low, medium
& high)
- has a delayed start possible
(e.g. start cooking after 5 hours, then cook for say 4 hours)
or dont start cooking for 12 hours then cook for 8)
- has a large capacity (say 6 litre - for up to 10 people)
- distributes heat well (no patches where cooked faster)
- easy to clean (i.e. removable, dishwasher-safe crock pot)

Any suggestions?

I have tried several websites including www.which.co.uk (that I have
subscribed to), but find them all to be remarkably amateur, gushing
and useless. Most models seem to cook slowly simply by having a low
heat source rather than by activily measuring and controlling the
temperature. Also most models seem to be unable to do really slow
cooking (12+ hours). And may are incapable of a delayed start. I am
not sure of the benefits of a digital timer. Some models (e.g.
Cuisinart - c.GBP70.00) cost about twice what others cost (e.g.
Morphy Richards c.GBP35.00) but it isnt clear what the advantages of
the more expensive models are - surely *something*... !

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ship wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend a really good slow cooker?
>
> I want something that:
> - allows for extremely slow cooking (e.g. 12 or even 24 hours?)
> - gets the food up to temperature fast, (so not much time wasted time
> if you put cold water in instead of hot water - important for a 4
> hour cooking time)
> - has a proper, adjustable thermostat
> - has several different levels of cooking speed (at least low, medium
> & high)
> - has a delayed start possible
> (e.g. start cooking after 5 hours, then cook for say 4 hours)
> or dont start cooking for 12 hours then cook for 8)
> - has a large capacity (say 6 litre - for up to 10 people)
> - distributes heat well (no patches where cooked faster)
> - easy to clean (i.e. removable, dishwasher-safe crock pot)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I have tried several websites including www.which.co.uk (that I have
> subscribed to), but find them all to be remarkably amateur, gushing
> and useless. Most models seem to cook slowly simply by having a low
> heat source rather than by activily measuring and controlling the
> temperature. Also most models seem to be unable to do really slow
> cooking (12+ hours). And may are incapable of a delayed start. I am
> not sure of the benefits of a digital timer. Some models (e.g.
> Cuisinart - c.GBP70.00) cost about twice what others cost (e.g.
> Morphy Richards c.GBP35.00) but it isnt clear what the advantages of
> the more expensive models are - surely *something*... !

Geez! Hard to please, ain'tcha!

Get a heavy six quart covered casserole and do your cooking in the oven.
Yes, someone will have to be there to keep an eye on things, but no one
would leave a slow cooker unsupervised for that amount of time either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Geez! Hard to please, ain'tcha!
>
> Get a heavy six quart covered casserole and do your cooking in the oven.
> Yes, someone will have to be there to keep an eye on things, but no one
> would leave a slow cooker unsupervised for that amount of time either.- Hide quoted text -

No, I shall be at work. And no, there is no chance of anyone else
being there to watch the
damned thing boil. Geez - what planet are you from?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ship > wrote in message

>> Geez! Hard to please, ain'tcha!
>>
>> Get a heavy six quart covered casserole and do your
>> cooking in the oven. Yes, someone will have to be
>> there to keep an eye on things, but no one would leave
>> a slow cooker unsupervised for that amount of time
>> either.
>>

> No, I shall be at work. And no, there is no chance of
> anyone else being there to watch the damned thing boil.

I use crockpots quite a bit but, while I'm not afraid to leave it
going for extended absences, I don't leave food in it for five
hours before it starts cooking either. I'd be too worried about
whether it was safe to eat when I got home, having experienced
food poisoning a couple times in my life...

You might want to check out the following book from your local
library,
ISBN 1-4027-0850-5. I've found it invaluable.

That might help you narrow your search down considerably.

The two models I use extensively, BTW, a
Rival 6-qt Programmable and Rival 5.5 qt. Both have removable
crocks and are a snap to use. The 5.5 is going on 19 years old and
sees use almost daily.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ship wrote:
>> Geez! Hard to please, ain'tcha!
>>
>> Get a heavy six quart covered casserole and do your cooking in the oven.
>> Yes, someone will have to be there to keep an eye on things, but no one
>> would leave a slow cooker unsupervised for that amount of time either.- Hide quoted text -

> No, I shall be at work. And no, there is no chance of anyone else
> being there to watch the
> damned thing boil. Geez - what planet are you from?

Obviously not the same one as you, pinhead, whatever one THAT is.

Did you really think your response was informative and helpful? Alas,
you probably did.

As I said, get a heavy lidded cooking pot and do it in the oven. Is that
beyond your comprehension?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> ship > wrote in message
>
>>> Geez! Hard to please, ain'tcha!
>>>
>>> Get a heavy six quart covered casserole and do your
>>> cooking in the oven. Yes, someone will have to be
>>> there to keep an eye on things, but no one would leave
>>> a slow cooker unsupervised for that amount of time
>>> either.
>>>

>> No, I shall be at work. And no, there is no chance of
>> anyone else being there to watch the damned thing boil.

> I use crockpots quite a bit but, while I'm not afraid to leave it
> going for extended absences, I don't leave food in it for five
> hours before it starts cooking either. I'd be too worried about
> whether it was safe to eat when I got home, having experienced
> food poisoning a couple times in my life...
>
> You might want to check out the following book from your local
> library,
> ISBN 1-4027-0850-5. I've found it invaluable.
>
> That might help you narrow your search down considerably.
>
> The two models I use extensively, BTW, a
> Rival 6-qt Programmable and Rival 5.5 qt. Both have removable
> crocks and are a snap to use. The 5.5 is going on 19 years old and
> sees use almost daily.
>
> The Ranger

Nice!

The Best Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ship" wrote

> I want something that:

<snip list>

Try http://www.crock-pot.com/programmable.aspx

And ignore the person who thinks you have to be home tending it. You do
not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "ship" wrote
>
>> I want something that:

> <snip list>
>
> Try http://www.crock-pot.com/programmable.aspx
>
> And ignore the person who thinks you have to be home tending it. You do
> not.

You do. You needn't be tending it, but even the manual that comes with a
slow cooker (you remember instruction manuals, don't you?) directs that
it not be left unsupervised for during long periods in use. It's an
electrical appliance, and anything can happen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline > wrote in
:

> cshenk wrote:
>> And ignore the person who thinks you have to be home
>> tending it. You do not.

> You do. You needn't be tending it, but even the manual that
> comes with a slow cooker (you remember instruction manuals,
> don't you?) directs that it not be left unsupervised for
> during long periods in use. It's an electrical appliance,
> and anything can happen.

ah yes. the manufacturer's CYA directions.
technically, you should not have to supervise a crockpot, or
a washer, dryer, dishwasher or any other electrical appliance.
however, *every* appliance will say not to leave it on and
unsupervised. this is simply a disclaimer that anyone with a
single braincell should understand to mean that "accidents
happen & we (the manufacturer) won't take responsibility". it
does NOT mean you can't take the risk of actually *using* the
appliance as it is intended to be used, which, in the case of
a crockpot, is to be set & left alone.
do you unplug *every* device in your home that uses
electricity when you go out every day? if not, you are putting
yourself at just as much "risk" as a person who sets the
crockpot & goes out. *any* electrical device could possibly,
randomly, start a fire. a crockpot is no higher risk than
leaving the tv plugged in.
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> ah yes. the manufacturer's CYA directions.
> technically, you should not have to supervise a crockpot, or
> a washer, dryer, dishwasher or any other electrical appliance.
> however, *every* appliance will say not to leave it on and
> unsupervised. this is simply a disclaimer that anyone with a
> single braincell should understand to mean that "accidents
> happen & we (the manufacturer) won't take responsibility". it
> does NOT mean you can't take the risk of actually *using* the
> appliance as it is intended to be used, which, in the case of
> a crockpot, is to be set & left alone.

Please define the difference between setting something and leaving it
alone in the "don't pick at it" sense, and leaving it alone as in
deserted. I would never, ever leave a slow cooker running entirely
unattended for such a long period of time.

> do you unplug *every* device in your home that uses
> electricity when you go out every day? if not, you are putting
> yourself at just as much "risk" as a person who sets the
> crockpot & goes out. *any* electrical device could possibly,
> randomly, start a fire. a crockpot is no higher risk than
> leaving the tv plugged in.

Whatever. I guess you haven't seen what can happen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline > wrote in message
> enigma wrote:
>> ah yes. the manufacturer's CYA directions.
>> technically, you should not have to supervise a crockpot, or a
>> washer, dryer, dishwasher or any other electrical appliance.
>> however, *every* appliance will say not to leave it on and
>> unsupervised. this is simply a disclaimer that anyone with a
>> single braincell should understand to mean that "accidents
>> happen & we (the manufacturer) won't take responsibility". it
>> does NOT mean you can't take the risk of actually *using* the
>> appliance as it is intended to be used, which, in the case of a
>> crockpot, is to be set & left alone.

> Please define the difference between setting something and
> leaving it alone in the "don't pick at it" sense, and leaving it
> alone as in deserted. I would never, ever leave a slow cooker
> running entirely unattended for such a long period of time.

I frequently plug in both crockpots and leave them going without
being home or fretting over them. I do the same when doing laundry
(although the cycles are considerably shorter on those
appliances.)

What am I going to do if I hear the fire alarm go off beyond dial
emergency services and get out? (BTDT. I got lucky once. The gahds
don't like you challenging their ideas of fair play and good
graces.)

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" wrote

>> Try http://www.crock-pot.com/programmable.aspx
>>
>> And ignore the person who thinks you have to be home tending it. You do
>> not.

> You do. You needn't be tending it, but even the manual that comes with a
> slow cooker (you remember instruction manuals, don't you?) directs that it
> not be left unsupervised for during long periods in use. It's an
> electrical appliance, and anything can happen.

That just to protect against silly lawsuits. You don't turn off your gas
heat when you go out when it's 24F outside do you? Same concept and just as
safe. Just be sure it's sitting properly *away* from combustibles like it
says.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

readandpostrosie wrote:

> VERSAWARE from RIVAL.
> i can put the crockery right on top of the stove and cook down juices or
> brown meat.

The poster is in the UK so we here in the States don't know what is
available there slow cooker - wise...the which.co.uk site that the OP
referenced is the UK equivalent of _Consumer Reports_ and like _CR_ is
a subscription site, so not much help there (unless you spring for the
subscription).

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "Pennyaline" wrote
>
>>> Try http://www.crock-pot.com/programmable.aspx
>>>
>>> And ignore the person who thinks you have to be home tending it. You do
>>> not.

>> You do. You needn't be tending it, but even the manual that comes with a
>> slow cooker (you remember instruction manuals, don't you?) directs that it
>> not be left unsupervised for during long periods in use. It's an
>> electrical appliance, and anything can happen.

> That just to protect against silly lawsuits. You don't turn off your gas
> heat when you go out when it's 24F outside do you? Same concept and just as
> safe. Just be sure it's sitting properly *away* from combustibles like it
> says.

Yes dear. I know it's to protect the manufacturer in the long run. I'm
also interested in protecting myself. Yes, yes, place it away from
combustibles, but don't forget that the cooker is itself combustible and
made with combustible parts. As I've already stated, I've seen what can
happen. Don't leave the slow cooker alone for protracted lengths of time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> As I said, get a heavy lidded cooking pot and do it in the oven. Is that
> beyond your comprehension?

I live in rented accommodations.
My oven cant do a delayed start - (it used to be able to but the timer
is broken)
And it's temperature is too unreliable.

Ship

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 3:08*am, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "ship" wrote
>
> > I want something that:

> <snip list>
>
> Tryhttp://www.crock-pot.com/programmable.aspx
>
> And ignore the person who thinks you have to be home tending it. *You do
> not.

Thanks. The trouble is that I live in the UK and that looks like a USA
based out.
I'll ask if they UK delivery.

Ship
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dear. I know it's to protect the manufacturer in the long run. I'm
> also interested in protecting myself. Yes, yes, place it away from
> combustibles, but don't forget that the cooker is itself combustible and
> made with combustible parts. As I've already stated, I've seen what can
> happen. Don't leave the slow cooker alone for protracted lengths of time.- Hide quoted text -

If I was a manufacturer of slow cookers, I would certainly put a
warning
not to leave a cooker running unattended, but that would mainly be
because
people do the most astonnishingly stupid things and to protect from
law suits.

But where does this leave us regarding other electrical devices
e.g.
bread makers
washing machines
tumble driers
fridges
freezers
central heating
lights

In principle ANY of the above could go wrong and start a fire.

In fact if mice or rats nimble through your wiring, then your entire
house's mains would be unsafe and the chances are you wouldnt
find out until too late.

But hands up - how here actually turns off the mains every time
they leave the house. For me to turn the mains off, I have to move
the sofa, lift the carpet, open a trapdoor, find a tourch
and tiptoe across a slimey wet floor.

Is anyone out there seriously expecting me to do that every time I
leave the house?

But your story sounds extremely alarming. What exactly have you seen?
What happened, and why? And what manufacturer was it from?

Ship

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 2:08*pm, Janet Baraclough >
wrote:
> The message >
> from ship > contains these words:
>
> >I live in rented accommodations.
> > I live in the UK
> >My oven cant do a delayed start - (it used to be able to but the timer
> > is broken)And it's temperature is too unreliable.
> > For me to turn the mains off, I have to move
> > the sofa, lift the carpet, open a trapdoor, find a tourch
> > and tiptoe across a slimey wet floor.

> * *Hard to believe *
>
> * *http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/electrical_safety.htm
>
> * *Janet UK.

Fine, but in this case I am the tenant and so it is *me* that is
providing
the electrical equipment. Either way there is nothing in that guide
so
say that it is irresponsible and/or dangerous to run electrical
equipment
of ANY sort without someone being in the house.

But someone here is telling us that all slow cookers are dangerous and
likely to
catch fire if left unattended. Strange, I know, but that's what's
being proposed.

Ship

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ship wrote:
>> As I said, get a heavy lidded cooking pot and do it in the oven. Is that
>> beyond your comprehension?

> I live in rented accommodations.
> My oven cant do a delayed start - (it used to be able to but the timer
> is broken)
> And it's temperature is too unreliable.

Oh. That's different, then. Hit on your landlord for a new oven that
holds its temperature.

<nothing to do with the slow cooker debate, just that a better oven
would be more useful for any tenant>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ship > wrote:

> Thanks. The trouble is that I live in the UK and that looks like a USA
> based out.
> I'll ask if they UK delivery.

I wouldn't bother if I were you. Voltage is bound to be different.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:50:28 -0800 (PST), in rec.food.cooking, Gregory
Morrow wrote:

>readandpostrosie wrote:
>
>> VERSAWARE from RIVAL.
>> i can put the crockery right on top of the stove and cook down juices or
>> brown meat.

>The poster is in the UK so we here in the States don't know what is
>available there slow cooker - wise...the which.co.uk site that the OP
>referenced is the UK equivalent of _Consumer Reports_ and like _CR_ is
>a subscription site, so not much help there (unless you spring for the
>subscription).

Versaware is in the UK, but the handles seem to break off easily!
Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger > wrote:

> I use crockpots quite a bit but, while I'm not afraid to leave it
> going for extended absences, I don't leave food in it for five
> hours before it starts cooking either. I'd be too worried about
> whether it was safe to eat when I got home, having experienced
> food poisoning a couple times in my life...

Not sure why you think that would be a problem. Anything that
starts to grow is going to be killed by the heat once it starts
cooking. Food poisoning is generally from leaving already
cooked foods out too long, or not cooking raw food sufficiently.
After the first couple of hours of cooking all the pathogens
should be good and dead. As long as you don't delay the start
long enough for putifaction to set in . . .

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, > wrote:

>The Ranger > wrote:

>> I use crockpots quite a bit but, while I'm not afraid to leave it
>> going for extended absences, I don't leave food in it for five
>> hours before it starts cooking either. I'd be too worried about
>> whether it was safe to eat when I got home, having experienced
>> food poisoning a couple times in my life...

>Not sure why you think that would be a problem. Anything that
>starts to grow is going to be killed by the heat once it starts
>cooking. Food poisoning is generally from leaving already
>cooked foods out too long, or not cooking raw food sufficiently.
>After the first couple of hours of cooking all the pathogens
>should be good and dead. As long as you don't delay the start
>long enough for putifaction to set in . . .

So, crockpot users, tell me this: with a crockpot, how do you
know the temperature is high enough to kill, rather than
cultivate, bacteria? Is there a thermometer, or a reliable
thermostat? What temperature does a crockpot operate at?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope > wrote:
> In article >, > wrote:

> >After the first couple of hours of cooking all the pathogens
> >should be good and dead. As long as you don't delay the start
> >long enough for putrifaction to set in . . .

> So, crockpot users, tell me this: with a crockpot, how do you
> know the temperature is high enough to kill, rather than
> cultivate, bacteria? Is there a thermometer, or a reliable
> thermostat? What temperature does a crockpot operate at?

According to the info I found on the net, crock pots run at
about 175 to 200 F. And, most of the ones sold in the US
seem to run hotter. Plenty hot enough to kill any pathogens.
Most have a low and high settting, but that mostly just sets
how fast it reaches the final temperature.

Here is one link: http://www.answers.com/topic/slow-cooker
Wikipedia seems to have the same article, word for word.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > > * *http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/electrical_safety.htm
>
> > > * *Janet UK.

> > Fine, but in this case I am the tenant

> * *I realise that.. What I posted are the safety conditions your
> landlord is legally obliged to provide (or risk criminal prosecution,
> heavy fines or prison). *Therefore, I find it difficult to believe that
> your rented accommodation's only access to an electricity isolator *is "
> move the sofa, lift the carpet, open a trapdoor, find a tourch and
> tiptoe across a slimey wet floor".

Yes a fair point - but what the heck it's a quirky 200 year old house.

But be honest, do you turn off the mains electricity every time you
leave
the house? And if not, then exactly what electrical devices *do* you
leave on?

Ship

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The wrote on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:51:19 -0800:
TR> poisoning, I tend to err on the side of caution. My BIL has
TR> an iron constitution and could probably digest plutonium

Some funny things happen when I came across relational
abbreviations. I could not remember what BIL stood for and I
tried a few times to think what it meant. I regret to say that
"Built-in-lover" came first, tho' "brother-in-law" came next :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote in message
> Some funny things happen when I came across relational
> abbreviations. I could not remember what BIL stood for and I
> tried a few times to think what it meant. I regret to say that
> "Built-in-lover" came first, tho' "brother-in-law" came next :-)

James, you have a singular wit.

ObFood: Meatloaf and potatoes au gratin.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 13, 3:11*pm, Janet Baraclough >
wrote:
> The message
> >
> from ship > contains these words:

> > > * *I realise that.. What I posted are the safety conditions your
> > > landlord is legally obliged to provide (or risk criminal prosecution,
> > > heavy fines or prison). *Therefore, I find it difficult to believe that
> > > your rented accommodation's only access to an electricity isolator *is "
> > > move the sofa, lift the carpet, open a trapdoor, find a tourch and
> > > tiptoe across a slimey wet floor".

> > Yes a fair point - but what the heck it's a quirky 200 year old house.

> * *It hasn't got 200 year old wiring. Your landlord is bound by modern
> safety legislation and also modern letting law; he has to repair or
> replace a faulty electrical item.
>
> * *So, where does the power company *read your meter?

Mostly I read the meter myself. If I happen to be in when they call
it's a case of - yes, you guessed it - "move the sofa, lift the
carpet, open a trapdoor, find a tourch and
tiptoe across a slimey wet floor".

Janet you might like to read the link as cited above
http://www.answers.com/topic/slow-cooker
Checkout the end of the first para under "Wikipedia: slow cooker"
>The slow cooker can then safely be left to run unattended, making it a convenient cooking method.

Ship

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 10:54*pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> ship > wrote:
> > Thanks. The trouble is that I live in the UK and that looks like a USA
> > based out.
> > I'll ask if they UK delivery.

> I wouldn't bother if I were you. *Voltage is bound to be different.
>
> Victor

No probs - if necessary I could simply get one of those voltage
conversion
transformer things.

Ship

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 10:36*pm, wrote:
> Steve Pope > wrote:
> > In article >, > wrote:
> > >After the first couple of hours of cooking all the pathogens
> > >should be good and dead. *As long as you don't delay the start
> > >long enough for putrifaction to set in . . .

> > So, crockpot users, tell me this: with a crockpot, how do you
> > know the temperature is high enough to kill, rather than
> > cultivate, bacteria? *Is there a thermometer, or a reliable
> > thermostat? *What temperature does a crockpot operate at?

> According to the info I found on the net, crock pots run at
> about 175 to 200 F. *And, most of the ones sold in the US
> seem to run hotter. *Plenty hot enough to kill any pathogens.
> Most have a low and high settting, but that mostly just sets
> how fast it reaches the final temperature.
>
> Here is one link:http://www.answers.com/topic/slow-cooker
> Wikipedia seems to have the same article, word for word.

Hmm interesting link.
Rather disconcerting that reference to temperatures gradually
getting hotter on most of these bits of kit. I was very much hoping
the damned thing would BOIL my food first for a couple of minutes
and then incubate it at 80Deg C(176F).

Anyone know FOR SURE what temperature food poisoning bugs
get killed at?

Ship

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ship > wrote:

> No probs - if necessary I could simply get one of those voltage
> conversion transformer things.

Depending on the wattage, the price of a converter can add significantly
to the price of the slow cooker. Your call, though.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 13, 10:55*pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> ship > wrote:
> > No probs - if necessary I could simply get one of those voltage
> > conversion transformer things.

> Depending on the wattage, the price of a converter can add significantly
> to the price of the slow cooker. *Your call, though.

Agreed. But I am in the unusual (for me) position of currently having
lots of money but very
little time. So I just want the best. But sadly the best solution
appears to only exist
in the US and is not for sale here in the UK!

Ship

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ship > wrote:

> Anyone know FOR SURE what temperature food poisoning bugs
> get killed at?

Here is another link:
http://www.foodsafetysite.com/educat...ocessing2.html

and a relevant excerpt:
"Whole Eggs Pasteurized in the Shell - Traditionally, eggs sold to customers in the shell have not been pasteurized. However, new time/temperature pasteurization methods are making this possible. Egg whites coagulate at 140??F (60??C). Therefore, heating an egg above 140??F would cook the egg, so processors pasteurize the egg in the shell at a low temperature, 130??F (54??C), for a long time, 45 minutes. This new process is being used by some manufacturers, but it is not yet widely available. Pasteurizing eggs reduces the risk of contamination from pathogenic bacteria, such as Salmonella, which can cause severe illness and even death. Pasteurized eggs in the shell may be used in recipes calling for raw eggs, such as Caesar salad, hollandaise or b?? arnaise sauces, mayonnaise, egg nog, ice cream, and egg-fortified beverages that are not thoroughly cooked."

So, basically it's a higer temperature/shorter time vs. lower temperature/longer time.
Above 140F for 30 minutes is going to kill anything that causes food poisoning, and
slow cookers all get the food hotter than that for longer than that. Even lower temps
would work, as shown above, but no slow cooker I'm aware of will maintain a termperature
that low (130F).

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.