Posted to rec.food.equipment, alt.cooking-chat

Default Recommend a top-quality slow cooker to buy? (in the UK)

Hi

Can anyone recommend a really good slow cooker?

I want something that:
- allows for extremely slow cooking (e.g. 12 or even 24 hours?)
- gets the food up to temperature fast, (so not much time wasted time
if you put cold water in instead of hot water - important for a
4
hour cooking time)
- has a proper, adjustable thermostat
- has several different levels of cooking speed (at least low,
medium
& high)
- has a delayed start possible
(e.g. start cooking after 5 hours, then cook for say 4 hours)
or dont start cooking for 12 hours then cook for 8)
- has a large capacity (say 6 litre - for up to 10 people)
- distributes heat well (no patches where cooked faster)
- easy to clean (i.e. removable, dishwasher-safe crock pot)

Any suggestions?

I have tried several websites including www.which.co.uk (that I have
subscribed to), but find them all to be remarkably amateur, gushing
and useless. Most models seem to cook slowly simply by having a low
heat source rather than by activily measuring and controlling the
temperature. Also most models seem to be unable to do really slow
cooking (12+ hours). And may are incapable of a delayed start. I am
not sure of the benefits of a digital timer. Some models (e.g.
Cuisinart - c.GBP70.00) cost about twice what others cost (e.g.
Morphy Richards c.GBP35.00) but it isnt clear what the advantages of
the more expensive models are - surely *something*... !

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

P.S. Can you suggest any review sites that have any thing sensible to
say?

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

ship wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend a really good slow cooker?
>

> I want something that:
> - allows for extremely slow cooking (e.g. 12 or even 24 hours?)
> - gets the food up to temperature fast, (so not much time wasted time
> if you put cold water in instead of hot water - important for a
> 4
> hour cooking time)
> - has a proper, adjustable thermostat
> - has several different levels of cooking speed (at least low,
> medium
> & high)
> - has a delayed start possible
> (e.g. start cooking after 5 hours, then cook for say 4 hours)
> or dont start cooking for 12 hours then cook for 8)
> - has a large capacity (say 6 litre - for up to 10 people)
> - distributes heat well (no patches where cooked faster)
> - easy to clean (i.e. removable, dishwasher-safe crock pot)
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> I have tried several websites including www.which.co.uk (that I have
> subscribed to), but find them all to be remarkably amateur, gushing
> and useless. Most models seem to cook slowly simply by having a low
> heat source rather than by activily measuring and controlling the
> temperature. Also most models seem to be unable to do really slow
> cooking (12+ hours). And may are incapable of a delayed start. I am
> not sure of the benefits of a digital timer. Some models (e.g.
> Cuisinart - c.GBP70.00) cost about twice what others cost (e.g.
> Morphy Richards c.GBP35.00) but it isnt clear what the advantages of
> the more expensive models are - surely *something*... !

You're asking for a lot; I'm pessimistic that you'll find it. Most slow
cookers I know heat from the sides and not from the bottom, so they work
reasonably well only when they're nearly full. (My electric kettle heats
from the bottom and its sides aren't insulated. Still, occasional
stirring lets me use it nearly full to make pasta sauce.)

Most solid food is as thermally insulating as as the stuff in the walls
of a house. Heat diffuses through it relatively slowly. Circulating
liquid speeds the heat transfer, and well as periodic physical
rearrangement (i.e., occasional stirring). I can't imagine a mechanism
to avoid warm and cold spots during a long initial period in an
unattended slow cooker. If I had to design one, I would consider
microwave heating for its penetrating properties.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

ship wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend a really good slow cooker?

For UK sources, you might want to ask over at <uk.food+drink.misc>
Posted to rec.food.equipment, alt.cooking-chat

> > Can anyone recommend a really good slow cooker?
>
> For UK sources, you might want to ask over at <uk.food+drink.misc>

Thanks. Done.

Ship

On Feb 9, 4:30*pm, Jerry Avins > wrote:
> ship wrote:
> > Hi

> > Can anyone recommend a really good slow cooker?

> > I want something that:
> > - allows for extremely slow cooking (e.g. 12 or even 24 hours?)
> > - gets the food up to temperature fast, (so not much time wasted time
> > * * *if you put cold water in instead of hot water - important for a
> > 4
> > hour cooking time)
> > - has a proper, adjustable thermostat
> > - has several different levels of cooking speed *(at least low,
> > medium
> > & high)
> > - has a delayed start possible
> > (e.g. start cooking after 5 hours, then cook for say 4 hours)
> > or *dont start cooking for 12 hours then cook for 8)
> > - has a large capacity (say 6 litre - for up to 10 people)
> > - distributes heat well (no patches where cooked faster)
> > - easy to clean (i.e. removable, dishwasher-safe crock pot)

> > Any suggestions?

> > I have tried several websites includingwww.which.co.uk(that I have
> > subscribed to), but find them all to be remarkably amateur, gushing
> > and useless. Most models seem to cook slowly simply by having a low
> > heat source rather than by activily measuring and controlling the
> > temperature. Also most models seem to be unable to do really slow
> > cooking (12+ hours). And may are incapable of a delayed start. I am
> > not sure of the benefits of a digital timer. Some models (e.g.
> > Cuisinart - c.GBP70.00) *cost about twice what others cost (e.g.
> > Morphy Richards c.GBP35.00) but it isnt clear what the advantages of
> > the more expensive models are - surely *something*... !

> You're asking for a lot; I'm pessimistic that you'll find it. Most slow
> cookers I know heat from the sides and not from the bottom, so they work
> reasonably well only when they're nearly full. (My electric kettle heats
> from the bottom and its sides aren't insulated. Still, occasional
> stirring lets me use it nearly full to make pasta sauce.)
>
> Most solid food is as thermally insulating as as the stuff in the walls
> of a house. Heat diffuses through it relatively slowly. Circulating
> liquid speeds the heat transfer, and well as periodic physical
> rearrangement (i.e., occasional stirring). I can't imagine a mechanism
> to avoid warm and cold spots during a long initial period in an
> unattended slow cooker. If I had to design one, I would consider
> microwave heating for its penetrating properties.
>
> Jerry

Microwave has a very different cooking effect - including some say
ruining
the bio-energy field. It certainly tastes different from slow cooked
food.

Your point about heat coming from the sides is a good one. I guess for
cooking just for me I'd better not get a larger pot.

Ship

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

ship wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend a really good slow cooker?
>

> I want something that:
> - allows for extremely slow cooking (e.g. 12 or even 24 hours?)
> - gets the food up to temperature fast, (so not much time wasted time
> if you put cold water in instead of hot water - important for a
> 4
> hour cooking time)
> - has a proper, adjustable thermostat
> - has several different levels of cooking speed (at least low,
> medium
> & high)
> - has a delayed start possible
> (e.g. start cooking after 5 hours, then cook for say 4 hours)
> or dont start cooking for 12 hours then cook for 8)

What kind of food are you planning to leave sitting on the counter for 12
hours before cooking? At worst that is pretty unsafe. At any temp that is
going to allow your pipes not to freeze in your house, the temp is unsafe
for food to be at for the duration. Even barring that, it seems a way to
make sure the food tastes nasty.

> - has a large capacity (say 6 litre - for up to 10 people)

We have more than one crockpot, depending on the size of the meal. It is key
to have the pot quite full for decent cooking without burned edges.

> - distributes heat well (no patches where cooked faster)
> - easy to clean (i.e. removable, dishwasher-safe crock pot)
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> I have tried several websites including www.which.co.uk (that I have
> subscribed to), but find them all to be remarkably amateur, gushing
> and useless. Most models seem to cook slowly simply by having a low
> heat source rather than by activily measuring and controlling the
> temperature. Also most models seem to be unable to do really slow
> cooking (12+ hours). And may are incapable of a delayed start. I am
> not sure of the benefits of a digital timer. Some models (e.g.
> Cuisinart - c.GBP70.00) cost about twice what others cost (e.g.
> Morphy Richards c.GBP35.00) but it isnt clear what the advantages of
> the more expensive models are - surely *something*... !
>

> With thanks
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe
>
> P.S. Can you suggest any review sites that have any thing sensible to
> say?

Posted to rec.food.equipment, alt.cooking-chat

> What kind of food are you planning to leave sitting on the counter for 12
> hours before cooking? At worst that is pretty unsafe. At any temp that is
> going to allow your pipes not to freeze in your house, the temp is unsafe
> for food to be at for the duration. Even barring that, it seems a way to
> make sure the food tastes nasty.

I think in a cool-ish larder, certainly in the winter 12 hours is not
an unreasonable
length of time to leave food uncooked. Plus after cooking any actual
bacteria
will of course be killed.

> > - has a large capacity (say 6 litre - for up to 10 people)

> We have more than one crockpot, depending on the size of the meal. It is key
> to have the pot quite full for decent cooking without burned edges.

Damn yes I feared that would be the case!
So if it's just me cooking for one or two (or three) meals then I
suppose
I'd better buy a small cooker - otherwise it sounds like the sides
will get
burnt. If the pot was heated from below I imagine that this would be
much
less of a problem, yes?

Ship

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

ship wrote:
> On Feb 9, 4:30 pm, Jerry Avins > wrote:

>> ... I can't imagine a mechanism
>> to avoid warm and cold spots during a long initial period in an
>> unattended slow cooker. If I had to design one, I would consider
>> microwave heating for its penetrating properties.

> Microwave has a very different cooking effect - including some say
> ruining the bio-energy field. It certainly tastes different from slow
> cooked food.

Microwave ovens are designed to heat quickly and use high power.
Intermittent operation ("duty cycling") is used when low power is
needed. Given the thermal lag of most foods, that works fairly well,
like turning a house heater on and off. But only fairly well. Some food
overheats for a while, then cools. Although the average temperature may
be right, it's not the same as slow and steady. A microwave slow cooker
would use low power -- the magnetron would be cheaper -- and maybe
variable power as well. If the temperature profile is the same, I think
that taste will be the same. I don't know about bio-energy. I don't
think I can taste it.

> Your point about heat coming from the sides is a good one. I guess for
> cooking just for me I'd better not get a larger pot.

One way I avoid the top part of a partly full slow cooker getting
crusted up is by putting the food one of those plastic bags and
surrounding the bag with water. It saves clean-up too, but what in the
plastic gets into the food?

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

ship wrote:

> ... If the pot was heated from below I imagine that this would be
> much less of a problem, yes?

That depends on how deep (and wet) the food is.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

ship wrote:
>> What kind of food are you planning to leave sitting on the counter
>> for 12 hours before cooking? At worst that is pretty unsafe. At any
>> temp that is going to allow your pipes not to freeze in your house,
>> the temp is unsafe for food to be at for the duration. Even barring
>> that, it seems a way to make sure the food tastes nasty.

> I think in a cool-ish larder, certainly in the winter 12 hours is not
> an unreasonable
> length of time to leave food uncooked. Plus after cooking any actual
> bacteria
> will of course be killed.

It depends what you are going to put in it, I suppose. I sure wouldn't leave
stew beef for 12 hours. But a can of beans and some tomatoes. Well, Ok I
still wouldn't. In my case, I would not need to leave 17 plus hours anyway,
so the point is moot.

On Feb 11, 9:10*pm, "Stephanie" > wrote:
> ship wrote:
> >> What kind of food are you planning to leave sitting on the counter
> >> for 12 hours before cooking? At worst that is pretty unsafe. At any
> >> temp that is going to allow your pipes not to freeze in your house,
> >> the temp is unsafe for food to be at for the duration. Even barring
> >> that, it seems a way to make sure the food tastes nasty.

> > I think in a cool-ish larder, certainly in the winter 12 hours is not
> > an unreasonable
> > length of time to leave food uncooked. Plus after cooking any actual
> > bacteria
> > will of course be killed.

> It depends what you are going to put in it, I suppose. I sure wouldn't leave
> stew beef for 12 hours. But a can of beans and some tomatoes. Well, Ok I
> still wouldn't. In my case, I would not need to leave 17 plus hours anyway,
> so the point is moot.

> >> We have more than one crockpot, depending on the size of the meal.
> >> It is key to have the pot quite full for decent cooking without
> >> burned edges.

> > Damn yes I feared that would be the case!
> > So if it's just me cooking for one or two (or three) meals then I
> > suppose
> > I'd better buy a small cooker - otherwise it sounds like the sides
> > will get
> > burnt. If the pot was heated from below I imagine that this would be
> > much
> > less of a problem, yes?

> > Ship- Hide quoted text -

One of the best stews I ever had was cooked by my uncle in the plate
warmer section of
an old Aga. I dont know what the temperature was but he brought it to
the boil on the top
and then left it there for about 2-3 DAYS.

I think you'd need to make sure you had an EVEN COOLER slow cooker for
such
long cooking periods.

That reminds me - what range of temperatures are these slow cookers
supposed to
be running at in any case? Anyone know?

Ship

On Feb 11, 4:50*pm, Jerry Avins > wrote:
> ship wrote:
> > *... If the pot was heated from below I imagine that this would be
> > much less of a problem, yes?

> That depends on how deep (and wet) the food is.

What happens if the food is (or becomes) NOT that wet. Does that mean
it's likely
to burn... or just cook unevenly?

Ship

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

ship wrote:
> On Feb 11, 4:50 pm, Jerry Avins > wrote:
>> ship wrote:
>>> ... If the pot was heated from below I imagine that this would be
>>> much less of a problem, yes?

>> That depends on how deep (and wet) the food is.

> What happens if the food is (or becomes) NOT that wet. Does that mean
> it's likely
> to burn... or just cook unevenly?

If the temperature at the surface doesn't rise above 225F or so,
scorching is unlikely. With constant-power (rather than thermostatically
controlled) heaters, an insulating blanket of food too dry to allow
circulation may well raise the temperature to scorching levels. One
solution, if you will cook in plastic, is sealing the food into a
plastic bag made for the purpose and surrounding the bag with water. A
spoon or two laid in the bottom of the pot ensures room for the water to
circulate.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

ship wrote:

> One of the best stews I ever had was cooked by my uncle in the plate
> warmer section of
> an old Aga. I dont know what the temperature was but he brought it to
> the boil on the top
> and then left it there for about 2-3 DAYS.
>
> I think you'd need to make sure you had an EVEN COOLER slow cooker for
> such
> long cooking periods.
>
> That reminds me - what range of temperatures are these slow cookers
> supposed to
> be running at in any case? Anyone know?

I have left stew overnight on the stovetop BUT I knew what I was doing.
The pot, a Wagner Drip-Drop roaster, has a smoothly machined cover-pot
interface, making for a nearly hermetic seal. Before putting the stew to
bed for the night, I brought it to a vigorous boil with the cover in
place, sterilizing it, Then I let it sit without opening the cover. In
effect, the stew was canned. When it came time to serve it for lunch, I
again brought it to a boil just in case. Stew and soup are almost always
better the day after they're made. This didn't depart from that perception.

Your uncle's wonderful stew didn't sit raw for half a day before heating
began. I don't think it addresses Stephanie's point.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

"Jerry Avins" > wrote in message
> ship wrote:
>>> That depends on how deep (and wet) the food is.

>> What happens if the food is (or becomes) NOT that wet. Does that mean
>> it's likely
>> to burn... or just cook unevenly?

> If the temperature at the surface doesn't rise above 225F or so, scorching
> is unlikely. With constant-power (rather than thermostatically controlled)
> heaters, an insulating blanket of food too dry to allow circulation may
> well raise the temperature to scorching levels. One solution, if you will
> cook in plastic, is sealing the food into a plastic bag made for the
> purpose and surrounding the bag with water. A spoon or two laid in the
> bottom of the pot ensures room for the water to circulate.

Also one can place food, like a whole chicken or roast for example, on a
steaming rack. Either the moisture from the meat or a small amount of added
moisture then cirtculates easily.

On Feb 12, 5:08*pm, Jerry Avins > wrote:
> ship wrote:
> >> That depends on how deep (and wet) the food is.

> > What happens if the food is (or becomes) NOT that wet. Does that mean
> > it's likely
> > to burn... or just cook unevenly?

> If the temperature at the surface doesn't rise above 225F or so,
> scorching is unlikely. With constant-power (rather than thermostatically
> controlled) heaters, an insulating blanket of food too dry to allow
> circulation may well raise the temperature to scorching levels. One
> solution, if you will cook in plastic, is sealing the food into a
> plastic bag made for the purpose and surrounding the bag with water. A
> spoon or two laid in the bottom of the pot ensures room for the water to
> circulate.

Nice physics HOWEVER there is no way am I going to cook in plastic.
A) the plasticiser is likely to be bad for my health
B) It is likely to taste horrible.
No thanks.

Ship

Posted to rec.food.equipment, alt.cooking-chat

> Also one can place food, like a whole chicken or roast for example, on a
> steaming rack. Either the moisture from the meat or a small amount of added
> moisture then cirtculates easily.

A steaming rack sounds like a good idea. Although half the point is
the taste from
the juices...

Ship

On Feb 12, 5:18*pm, Jerry Avins > wrote:
> ship wrote:
>
> * *...
>
> > One of the best stews I ever had was cooked by my uncle in the plate
> > warmer section of
> > an old Aga. I dont know what the temperature was but he brought it to
> > the boil on the top
> > and then left it there for about 2-3 DAYS.

> > I think you'd need to make sure you had an EVEN COOLER slow cooker for
> > such
> > long cooking periods.

> > That reminds me - what range of temperatures are these slow cookers
> > supposed to
> > be running at in any case? Anyone know?

> I have left stew overnight on the stovetop BUT I knew what I was doing.
> The pot, a Wagner Drip-Drop roaster, has a smoothly machined cover-pot
> interface, making for a nearly hermetic seal. Before putting the stew to
> bed for the night, I brought it to a vigorous boil with the cover in
> place, sterilizing it, Then I let it sit without opening the cover. In
> effect, the stew was canned. When it came time to serve it for lunch, I
> again brought it to a boil just in case. Stew and soup are almost always
> better the day after they're made. This didn't depart from that perception..
>
> Your uncle's wonderful stew didn't sit raw for half a day before heating
> began. I don't think it addresses Stephanie's point.

The question at stake is how quickly raw meat goes off in a cold
larder.
In the winter, in my larder I simply do not see a problem.
In the summer months you could have a point.

But you havent addressed my question of cooking temperature.
Are you implying that bacteria can breed (or even survive) at the same
temperature
as a slow cooker runs at? Otherwise what's all this about
sterilisation.

Also you havent address my point about getting to have a REALLY slow
cooking by having a lower temperature - and whether it would work
to cook for a really long time at this low temperature.

Ship

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat
Val Val is offline

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> ship > wrote:
>
>> Nice physics HOWEVER there is no way am I going to cook in plastic.
>> A) the plasticiser is likely to be bad for my health
>> B) It is likely to taste horrible.

> C) can't use it to create a hat to block the government's radio waves
> aimed at my head

Big silly, everyone KNOWS you need aluminum foil!
http://zapatopi.net/afdb/build.html

Val

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

ship wrote:
> On Feb 12, 5:08 pm, Jerry Avins > wrote:
>> ship wrote:
>>> What happens if the food is (or becomes) NOT that wet. Does that mean
>>> it's likely
>>> to burn... or just cook unevenly?

>> If the temperature at the surface doesn't rise above 225F or so,
>> scorching is unlikely. With constant-power (rather than thermostatically
>> controlled) heaters, an insulating blanket of food too dry to allow
>> circulation may well raise the temperature to scorching levels. One
>> solution, if you will cook in plastic, is sealing the food into a
>> plastic bag made for the purpose and surrounding the bag with water. A
>> spoon or two laid in the bottom of the pot ensures room for the water to
>> circulate.

> Nice physics HOWEVER there is no way am I going to cook in plastic.
> A) the plasticiser is likely to be bad for my health
> B) It is likely to taste horrible.
> No thanks.

I don't recommend it and don't do it, but I've eaten it and can tell you
that there is no taste from the plastic. Consider those frozen soups and
vegetables sold in "boiler bags".

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

Val wrote:
> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
>> In article
>> >,
>> ship > wrote:
>>
>>> Nice physics HOWEVER there is no way am I going to cook in plastic.
>>> A) the plasticiser is likely to be bad for my health
>>> B) It is likely to taste horrible.

>> C) can't use it to create a hat to block the government's radio waves
>> aimed at my head
>>

> Big silly, everyone KNOWS you need aluminum foil!
> http://zapatopi.net/afdb/build.html

Aluminum foil is a good make-do. Less odd looking is a nicely painted
aluminum football helmet. A military helmet works too, but it's rather
heavy.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

ship wrote:

> But you havent addressed my question of cooking temperature.
> Are you implying that bacteria can breed (or even survive) at the same
> temperature
> as a slow cooker runs at? Otherwise what's all this about
> sterilisation.

212F serves to can acidic foods like tomato. (One reason to add vinegar
to pickles) 240F (10 psi in a pressure cooker) is the minimum to prevent
botulism in canned food, but the toxin doesn't accumulate in dangerous
amounts for a few days and the bacteria are themselves harmless. I don't
know how much below 212 is lethal to harmful bacteria, but I'm told that
most pathogens don't grow above 180F, about as hot as restaurant kitchen
tap water.

> Also you havent address my point about getting to have a REALLY slow
> cooking by having a lower temperature - and whether it would work
> to cook for a really long time at this low temperature.

Cooking for long periods below 160F at the coolest point is considered
dangerous. Chefs who do that seal the food in plastic (Cryovac, e.g.)
and sterilize it before cooking at these incubating temperatures.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.equipment, alt.cooking-chat

On Feb 13, 2:14*am, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *ship > wrote:
> > Nice physics HOWEVER there is *no way am I going to cook in plastic.
> > A) the plasticiser is likely to be bad for my health
> > B) It is likely to taste horrible.

> C) can't use it to create a hat to block the government's radio waves
> aimed at my head

"Shagnasty" what planet are you on?

Ship
Posted to rec.food.equipment, alt.cooking-chat, uk.food+drink.misc

Hi

I've just had a (potentially) brilliant idea!
I am toying with buying this slow cooker from Morphy Richards which
comes with "digital control".
> "Morphy Richards 48730 Stainless Steel Slow Cooker with digital timer"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richa...2897943&sr=8-1

The slight problem is that it is rather large capacity. Now from time
to time this will be INVALUABLE
but most days I will just be cooking for myself.
But it occurs to me that if I am just cooking for MYSELF - (e.g. I
want to cook something ready for my
lunch when I leave in the morning - maybe something that could do 2 or
3 meals...), that I could
put my food inside a smaller container (e.g. glass/clay/metal??), and
fill the gap with water.

ie. I would put the container inside the cooker (possibly raised on a
fork or something to allow water to circulate).
I could then simply boil the kettle before I go and then sling the
water into the big pot and leave for work.

[Yes if my house burns down then fine - that's a risk I'm prepared to
take]

But would it work technically? i.e. is 4 hours enough time to slow
cook a lunch?

Personally I wouldnt want to cook inside plastic because of taste and
health issues,
but I figure a solid inert container might work. I suppose one problem
could be that not enough
heat would transfer fast enough into my food - particularly if my
container was made from
clay or glass (metal would presumably conduct better - but it would
need to be coated with
something inert - e.g. teflon or enamel or something)

- Any thoughts?

Ship

P.S. And what about if cooking my EVENING MEAL - i.e. I wouldnt want
it for about 10 hours

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

"ship" > wrote in message

>> Also one can place food, like a whole chicken or roast for example, on a
>> steaming rack. Either the moisture from the meat or a small amount of
>> added
>> moisture then cirtculates easily.

> A steaming rack sounds like a good idea. Although half the point is
> the taste from
> the juices...
>
> Ship

Viva cooking! Half the point is the variety. When I do a ham, I do it in the
oven with some stock, thyme, onion and whatever other flavors I want. I
cover it up and cook it slowly. (I am saying this because at this point I
could just as easily do it in the slow cooker). The flavor permeates the
meat in such a lovely way. My ham is never ever ever dry. (Do you think I
should tell my MIL how I do it? She has been asking.)

But when you do a chicken the way I mention, of course you don't get crispy
skin. I satisfy myself with the knowledge that if there was crispy skin, I
would just eat it. It is not that good for you. But he gravy you get is Out
Of This WORLD rich and yummy.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> ship > wrote:
>
>> Nice physics HOWEVER there is no way am I going to cook in plastic.
>> A) the plasticiser is likely to be bad for my health
>> B) It is likely to taste horrible.

> C) can't use it to create a hat to block the government's radio waves
> aimed at my head

It is not the govt., it is the Martians. Geesh.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat,uk.food+drink.misc

"ship" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I've just had a (potentially) brilliant idea!
> I am toying with buying this slow cooker from Morphy Richards which
> comes with "digital control".
>> "Morphy Richards 48730 Stainless Steel Slow Cooker with digital timer"

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richa...2897943&sr=8-1
>
> The slight problem is that it is rather large capacity. Now from time
> to time this will be INVALUABLE
> but most days I will just be cooking for myself.
> But it occurs to me that if I am just cooking for MYSELF - (e.g. I
> want to cook something ready for my
> lunch when I leave in the morning - maybe something that could do 2 or
> 3 meals...), that I could
> put my food inside a smaller container (e.g. glass/clay/metal??), and
> fill the gap with water.
>
> ie. I would put the container inside the cooker (possibly raised on a
> fork or something to allow water to circulate).
> I could then simply boil the kettle before I go and then sling the
> water into the big pot and leave for work.
>
> [Yes if my house burns down then fine - that's a risk I'm prepared to
> take]
>
> But would it work technically? i.e. is 4 hours enough time to slow
> cook a lunch?

Depends on your lunch. Many chicken dishes cook in that time. For myself, I
would cook a batch of something, then freeze individual portions of the
leftovers. I would not bother with the smaller containers INSIDE the crock.
What does that buy you? You are going to have to put that food away anyway.

> Personally I wouldnt want to cook inside plastic because of taste and
> health issues,
> but I figure a solid inert container might work. I suppose one problem
> could be that not enough
> heat would transfer fast enough into my food - particularly if my
> container was made from
> clay or glass (metal would presumably conduct better - but it would
> need to be coated with
> something inert - e.g. teflon or enamel or something)
>
> - Any thoughts?
>

> Ship
>
> P.S. And what about if cooking my EVENING MEAL - i.e. I wouldnt want
> it for about 10 hours

I would not, personally, plan a crockpot meal for lunch and dinner unless I
wanted to use 2 separate crockpots. There are many, many recipes for meals
that are 10-12 hours to cook. Many beef and lamb recipes, for instance.
Lentil soup. Bean soups...

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

Stephanie wrote:

> Viva cooking! Half the point is the variety. When I do a ham, I do it in the
> oven with some stock, thyme, onion and whatever other flavors I want. I
> cover it up and cook it slowly. (I am saying this because at this point I
> could just as easily do it in the slow cooker). The flavor permeates the
> meat in such a lovely way. My ham is never ever ever dry. (Do you think I
> should tell my MIL how I do it? She has been asking.)

Of course you should tell her. And tell anyone else who asks. What
satisfaction do you get from keeping such a secret? I can't imagine that
it's a healthy one.

I'm rarely preachy, but you touched a sore point. I've known a few good
cooks who held their techniques close so they would be admired above
others. All of them, without exception, shed their friends as time went
by and ended in bitterness. I can't say whether their aberration was the
cause or the effect of the inward turning that eventually overcame them,
but I suspect feedback at work. Please don't fall into their trap.
Family life shouldn't be a contest. "My wash is whiter than yours"
should be saved for unpleasant neighbors. If you care about such things.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

"Jerry Avins" > wrote in message
> Stephanie wrote:

>> Viva cooking! Half the point is the variety. When I do a ham, I do it in
>> the oven with some stock, thyme, onion and whatever other flavors I want.
>> I cover it up and cook it slowly. (I am saying this because at this point
>> I could just as easily do it in the slow cooker). The flavor permeates
>> the meat in such a lovely way. My ham is never ever ever dry. (Do you
>> think I should tell my MIL how I do it? She has been asking.)

> Of course you should tell her. And tell anyone else who asks. What
> satisfaction do you get from keeping such a secret? I can't imagine that
> it's a healthy one.

I was joking. She has asked, been told, and forgotten a dozen times! I would
not hide such a thing. Why would I want to eat dry ham at her house?

> I'm rarely preachy, but you touched a sore point. I've known a few good
> cooks who held their techniques close so they would be admired above
> others. All of them, without exception, shed their friends as time went by
> and ended in bitterness. I can't say whether their aberration was the
> cause or the effect of the inward turning that eventually overcame them,
> but I suspect feedback at work. Please don't fall into their trap. Family
> life shouldn't be a contest. "My wash is whiter than yours" should be
> saved for unpleasant neighbors. If you care about such things.

Well I had not thought of it that deeply. I am not terribly competitive.

> Jerry
> --
> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

Stephanie wrote:

> I was joking. She has asked, been told, and forgotten a dozen times! I would
> not hide such a thing. Why would I want to eat dry ham at her house?

My mistake, then. I was surprised, because the question was so much at
variance with my impression of you. Please forgive me.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat

"Jerry Avins" > wrote in message
news
> Stephanie wrote:

>> I was joking. She has asked, been told, and forgotten a dozen times! I
>> would not hide such a thing. Why would I want to eat dry ham at her
>> house?

> My mistake, then. I was surprised, because the question was so much at
> variance with my impression of you. Please forgive me.

Nothing to forgive. You had no way of knowing I had a dumb sense of humor.
All is well.