Danny Hardesty

Default Question About Baking Pans

I used a dark (almost black) nine by nine baking pan to make some lemon
squares. Followed directions precisely and damn pan burned the things up.
Does the color of a metal pan affect the way the food is cooked? I noticed
my wife's expensive cake baking pans are all shiny and silvery colored, with
no dark tint and we never have any problems with baked items overcooking in
them.

Danny Hardesty

Dave Smith

Danny Hardesty wrote:

> I used a dark (almost black) nine by nine baking pan to make some lemon
> squares. Followed directions precisely and damn pan burned the things up.
> Does the color of a metal pan affect the way the food is cooked? I noticed
> my wife's expensive cake baking pans are all shiny and silvery colored, with
> no dark tint and we never have any problems with baked items overcooking in
> them.

It can depend on the oven. I used to make cookies on a regular basis in our oven
and always had good results. After we bought a new oven I had horrible results.
The ran and burned on the bottom. I had the service people come out to check it
and it seemed to be working fine. The service tech recommended some better
baking pans. I tried them and had much better results. I have a better oven now
and have used those old pans and still get good results. I have no idea why that
particular oven required special pans, and it's the only one I have ever used
that did.

Goomba

Danny Hardesty wrote:

> I used a dark (almost black) nine by nine baking pan to make some lemon
> squares. Followed directions precisely and damn pan burned the things up.
> Does the color of a metal pan affect the way the food is cooked? I noticed
> my wife's expensive cake baking pans are all shiny and silvery colored, with
> no dark tint and we never have any problems with baked items overcooking in
> them.

Yes, darker pans will cook things hotter and faster. You could account
for that by lowering the temp a bit and checking the times.. or just buy
new pans?
Goomba
Rick & Cyndi

"Danny Hardesty" > wrote in message
news : I used a dark (almost black) nine by nine baking pan to make
some lemon
: squares. Followed directions precisely and damn pan burned the
things up.
: Does the color of a metal pan affect the way the food is
cooked? I noticed
: my wife's expensive cake baking pans are all shiny and silvery
colored, with
: no dark tint and we never have any problems with baked items
overcooking in
: them.
:
: Danny Hardesty
:

Yep. For baking in glass or very dark metal pans you typically
want to lower your baking temperature by 25 degrees F..

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Quick baking question: Springform pans Ubiquitous General Cooking 16 02-01-2011 02:52 PM
Question about baking: springform pans ravenlynne[_5_] General Cooking 6 02-01-2011 04:22 AM
Insulated baking pans Curly Sue General Cooking 4 13-01-2007 12:02 AM
Baking Pans biig General Cooking 4 11-01-2007 02:05 PM
blue baking pans? Julia Altshuler General Cooking 15 27-12-2003 12:51 AM