Julia Altshuler

Default blue baking pans?

Like I really need more equipment!

I've been baking in clear Pyrex for brownies, breads, pies. These
baking pans and I get along fine. I'm pleased with the the evenness of
the baking, the crust or top or cooking time, etc. If I've made any
adjustments to my recipes because of the pans, I do so automatically now
and without thinking about it.

The trouble at the moment is that I've seen blue glass baking pans
(don't know the brand name) in the stores, and I love the color. I'm
normally Lady Practical so it is unusual for me find something that I
think is so perfectly beautiful, but that color keeps calling to me.

Question: Will the color of the pans affect the results of my baking?
If it is just a matter of testing for doneness, I can do that easily.
If I have to remember to turn down (or up) the temperature on everything
I bake or make some other adjustment, I'm not sure I'm up to remembering
that depending on which color pan I'm using.

--Lia

Stace

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> Question: Will the color of the pans affect the results of my baking?
> If it is just a matter of testing for doneness, I can do that easily.
> If I have to remember to turn down (or up) the temperature on everything
> I bake or make some other adjustment, I'm not sure I'm up to remembering
> that depending on which color pan I'm using.
>
> --Lia

They're Pyrex, and I bought one the other day and used it for brownies this
evening.
Works just like the clear Pyrex, for what it's worth.

Stace

PENMART01

Julia Altshuler writes:

>I've been baking in clear Pyrex for brownies, breads, pies. These
>baking pans and I get along fine. I'm pleased with the the evenness of
>the baking, the crust or top or cooking time, etc. If I've made any
>adjustments to my recipes because of the pans, I do so automatically now
>and without thinking about it.
>
>The trouble at the moment is that I've seen blue glass baking pans
>(don't know the brand name) in the stores, and I love the color. I'm
>normally Lady Practical so it is unusual for me find something that I
>think is so perfectly beautiful, but that color keeps calling to me.
>
>Question: Will the color of the pans affect the results of my baking?
>If it is just a matter of testing for doneness, I can do that easily.
>If I have to remember to turn down (or up) the temperature on everything
>I bake or make some other adjustment, I'm not sure I'm up to remembering
>that depending on which color pan I'm using.

With glass pans (real bakers would never use glass bakeware) color matters not
a whit.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Stace

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> With glass pans (real bakers would never use glass bakeware) color matters

not
> a whit.

I'll be the first person to admit that I'm not a 'real baker'.
Anything involving flour annoys the shit out of me.

Stace

jmcquown

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> The trouble at the moment is that I've seen blue glass baking pans
> (don't know the brand name) in the stores, and I love the color. (snip)

That's cobalt blue, the same shade as my water goblets. Isn't it gorgeous?!

> Question: Will the color of the pans affect the results of my baking?

(snip)

> --Lia

Nope, won't affect it at all.

Jill

Frogleg

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 02:53:43 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>The trouble at the moment is that I've seen blue glass baking pans
>(don't know the brand name) in the stores, and I love the color. I'm
>normally Lady Practical so it is unusual for me find something that I
>think is so perfectly beautiful, but that color keeps calling to me.

Go for it! It never hurts to have equipment you enjoy using. If it
duplicates something you already have, pass the old one along to
friend, family, or charity.
Arri London

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Like I really need more equipment!

<snip>

> Question: Will the [blue] color of the pans affect the results of my baking?
> If it is just a matter of testing for doneness, I can do that easily.
> If I have to remember to turn down (or up) the temperature on everything
> I bake or make some other adjustment, I'm not sure I'm up to remembering
> that depending on which color pan I'm using.
>
> --Lia

LOL No idea. I bought one for my mother just because she likes blue
glass. She has no intention of baking in it; can't think of any baked
goods that would look nice in blue glass.
PENMART01

Arri London > writes:

>Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>
>> Like I really need more equipment!
>>

><snip>
>>
>> Question: Will the [blue] color of the pans affect the results of my

>baking?
>> If it is just a matter of testing for doneness, I can do that easily.
>> If I have to remember to turn down (or up) the temperature on everything
>> I bake or make some other adjustment, I'm not sure I'm up to remembering
>> that depending on which color pan I'm using.
>>
>> --Lia

>LOL No idea. I bought one for my mother just because she likes blue
>glass. She has no intention of baking in it; can't think of any baked
>goods that would look nice in blue glass.

PEACH COBBLER

6 large peaches, cut into thin wedges
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon cornstarch
For biscuit topping
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup boiling water

Cook peaches:
Preheat oven to 425°F.

Toss peaches with sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a 2-qt. nonreactive
baking dish and bake in middle of oven 10 minutes.

Make topping while peaches bake:
Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter with your
fingertips or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in
water until just combined.

Remove peaches from oven and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. Bake in
middle of oven until topping is golden, about 25 minutes. (Topping will spread
as it bakes.)

Gourmet
September 1999
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Wayne Boatwright

Arri London > wrote in :

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>
>> Like I really need more equipment!
>>

> <snip>
>>
>> Question: Will the [blue] color of the pans affect the results of my
>> baking? If it is just a matter of testing for doneness, I can do that
>> easily. If I have to remember to turn down (or up) the temperature on
>> everything I bake or make some other adjustment, I'm not sure I'm up
>> to remembering that depending on which color pan I'm using.
>>
>> --Lia

> LOL No idea. I bought one for my mother just because she likes blue
> glass. She has no intention of baking in it; can't think of any baked
> goods that would look nice in blue glass.

Blueberry Buckle?
Julia Altshuler

I reported to my boyfriend how I asked about blue pans here and how I
got so many nice responses telling me that the color won't effect my
baking and agreeing on how lovely the color is. He got that look in his
eye that he gets when one of my ideas is about to cost him some money
and told me that he'd been reading about how blue glass sure to do grave
damange to all who eat out of it. Hmmm. (Thanks to all who wrote.)

--Lia

MrAoD

jmcquown writes:

>Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> The trouble at the moment is that I've seen blue glass baking pans
>> (don't know the brand name) in the stores, and I love the color. (snip)

>That's cobalt blue, the same shade as my water goblets. Isn't it gorgeous?!

Yep. And yep.

>> Question: Will the color of the pans affect the results of my baking?

>(snip)
>
>> --Lia

>Nope, won't affect it at all.

Yep.

My wife collects (and uses) Depression Glass. That's the Anchor Hocking stuff
they used to give away at "dish night" at the movie theaters, in 20 lb sacks of
flour, etc.

Amazing stuff, about a dozen different colors and a metric buttload of
patterns.

We had our pre-Christmas celebration with my folks on Saturday served up on a
pattern called Chrismas Candy. Vaguely Celtic ribbon pattern around the edge.
Color is ruby, a deep red.

The real challenge for me is trying to match the menu to whatever color my
pocket-edition Martha has chosen for the serving. Obviously broccoli won't
stand up to the dark green, which veg to choose? And don't get me started on
the pale pink . . .

<g>

Marc

>Jill

Arri London

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>
> > Julia Altshuler wrote:
> >>
> >> Like I really need more equipment!
> >>

> > <snip>
> >>
> >> Question: Will the [blue] color of the pans affect the results of my
> >> baking? If it is just a matter of testing for doneness, I can do that
> >> easily. If I have to remember to turn down (or up) the temperature on
> >> everything I bake or make some other adjustment, I'm not sure I'm up
> >> to remembering that depending on which color pan I'm using.
> >>
> >> --Lia

> > LOL No idea. I bought one for my mother just because she likes blue
> > glass. She has no intention of baking in it; can't think of any baked
> > goods that would look nice in blue glass.
> >

> Blueberry Buckle?

What in the world is that?
Wayne Boatwright

Arri London > wrote in :

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Arri London > wrote in
>> :

>> > <snip>

>> > LOL No idea. I bought one for my mother just because she likes blue
>> > glass. She has no intention of baking in it; can't think of any
>> > baked goods that would look nice in blue glass.
>> >

>> Blueberry Buckle?

> What in the world is that?

Somewhat of a coffee cake, and really quite good. I think it's origin
is Colonial New England. The following is one from Food Network, which
is better than the one from one of my old cookbooks.

Wayne

Blueberry Buckle

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature plus more for pan
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
5 cups wild or cultivated blueberries
1 recipe Streusel Topping, recipe follows

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter a large baking dish and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
Set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set
aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,
cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3
minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low, and add egg and vanilla, beating
until fully combined.

Add reserved flour mixture, alternating with the milk, a little of each
at a time, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Remove from
mixer. Gently fold in blueberries.

Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle topping over cake. Bake until
cake tester comes out batter-free, 60 to 70 minutes. Transfer to a wire
rack to cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool 15 minutes before
serving.

Streusel Topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature

In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using a
pastry blender, or a fork, cut in the butter until fine crumbs form.

Using hands, squeeze together most of the mixture to form large clumps.
Can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Wayne Boatwright

Default Blueberry Buckle; was blue baking pans?

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> Arri London > wrote in
> :
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> Arri London > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Blueberry Buckle?

>> What in the world is that?
>>

> Somewhat of a coffee cake, and really quite good. I think it's origin
> is Colonial New England. The following is one from Food Network,
> which is better than the one from one of my old cookbooks.
>
> Wayne
>
> Blueberry Buckle
>
> 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature plus more for pan
> 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
> 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 1 large egg
> 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
> 1/2 cup milk
> 5 cups wild or cultivated blueberries
> 1 recipe Streusel Topping, recipe follows
>
> Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
>
> Butter a large baking dish and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
> Set aside.
>
> In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt;
> set aside.
>
> In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,
> cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3
> minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low, and add egg and vanilla, beating
> until fully combined.
>
> Add reserved flour mixture, alternating with the milk, a little of
> each at a time, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Remove
> from mixer. Gently fold in blueberries.
>
> Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle topping over cake. Bake until
> cake tester comes out batter-free, 60 to 70 minutes. Transfer to a
> wire rack to cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool 15 minutes before
> serving.
>
> Streusel Topping:
> 1 cup all-purpose flour
> 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
>
> In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using a
> pastry blender, or a fork, cut in the butter until fine crumbs form.
>
> Using hands, squeeze together most of the mixture to form large
> clumps. Can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Arri, contrary to the instructions, this does not have to be removed
from the pan. The original text specified a springform pan, but we
never bake it in one.

Wayne
Arri London

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >>
> >> Arri London > wrote in
> >> :

> >> Blueberry Buckle?

> > What in the world is that?
> >

> Somewhat of a coffee cake, and really quite good. I think it's origin
> is Colonial New England. The following is one from Food Network, which
> is better than the one from one of my old cookbooks.
>
> Wayne

Ah just a local name for a crumble of sorts. Don't think it would look
so good in a blue pan though

Sounds tasty though.

> Blueberry Buckle
>
> 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature plus more for pan
> 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
> 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 1 large egg
> 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
> 1/2 cup milk
> 5 cups wild or cultivated blueberries
> 1 recipe Streusel Topping, recipe follows
>
> Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
>
> Butter a large baking dish and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
> Set aside.
>
> In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set
> aside.
>
> In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,
> cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3
> minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low, and add egg and vanilla, beating
> until fully combined.
>
> Add reserved flour mixture, alternating with the milk, a little of each
> at a time, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Remove from
> mixer. Gently fold in blueberries.
>
> Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle topping over cake. Bake until
> cake tester comes out batter-free, 60 to 70 minutes. Transfer to a wire
> rack to cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool 15 minutes before
> serving.
>
> Streusel Topping:
> 1 cup all-purpose flour
> 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
>
> In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using a
> pastry blender, or a fork, cut in the butter until fine crumbs form.
>
> Using hands, squeeze together most of the mixture to form large clumps.
> Can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Arri London

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
> > Arri London > wrote in
> > :

> >> What in the world is that?
> >>

> > Somewhat of a coffee cake, and really quite good. I think it's origin
> > is Colonial New England. The following is one from Food Network,
> > which is better than the one from one of my old cookbooks.
> >
> > Wayne
> >
> > Blueberry Buckle
> >
> > 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature plus more for pan
> > 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
> > 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
> > 1/2 teaspoon salt
> > 3/4 cup sugar
> > 1 large egg
> > 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
> > 1/2 cup milk
> > 5 cups wild or cultivated blueberries
> > 1 recipe Streusel Topping, recipe follows
> >
> > Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
> >
> > Butter a large baking dish and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
> > Set aside.
> >
> > In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt;
> > set aside.
> >
> > In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,
> > cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3
> > minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low, and add egg and vanilla, beating
> > until fully combined.
> >
> > Add reserved flour mixture, alternating with the milk, a little of
> > each at a time, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Remove
> > from mixer. Gently fold in blueberries.
> >
> > Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle topping over cake. Bake until
> > cake tester comes out batter-free, 60 to 70 minutes. Transfer to a
> > wire rack to cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool 15 minutes before
> > serving.
> >
> > Streusel Topping:
> > 1 cup all-purpose flour
> > 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
> > 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> > 1/4 teaspoon salt
> > 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
> >
> > In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using a
> > pastry blender, or a fork, cut in the butter until fine crumbs form.
> >
> > Using hands, squeeze together most of the mixture to form large
> > clumps. Can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

> Arri, contrary to the instructions, this does not have to be removed
> from the pan. The original text specified a springform pan, but we
> never bake it in one.
>
> Wayne

TY. We usually serve crumbles from the pan. They are too loose to
remove.

Insulated baking pans Curly Sue General Cooking 4 13-01-2007 12:02 AM
Baking Pans biig General Cooking 4 11-01-2007 02:05 PM
blue steel pans Nartker Cooking Equipment 2 18-01-2005 05:40 PM
blue steel pans Nartker Cooking Equipment 0 18-01-2005 01:06 PM
Difference Between Black/Blue/Carbon Steel Pans J. Random Loser Cooking Equipment 4 21-06-2004 03:48 AM