Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Insulated baking pans

The ones with the double bottoms with an air space in between.

I have an insulated jelly roll pan which I used for the first time
last night. As it turns out, I have to pay attention to the size
called for in recipes because mine is just a tad bigger than what's
callef for, and that makes a difference.

Last night I used it just like I would a normal pan (put in the middle
of the oven) but noticed there wasn't much oven spring and the cake
texture was bad (I tossed the whole thing). Part of that could be due
to the mixing directions not being adequate (I used the recipe exactly
as written). But I reasoned also that the bottom might take too long
to heat.

So this morning I tried again. I made some changes in the recipe and
the mixing process. I put the cake on the *bottom* rack, closest to
the heat source.

Much better!

The problem I have with insulated cookie sheets is the cookie bottoms
don't brown.

At least I don't have to buy a new jelly roll pan.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:
> The ones with the double bottoms with an air space in between.
>

> The problem I have with insulated cookie sheets is the cookie bottoms
> don't brown.
>
> At least I don't have to buy a new jelly roll pan.

I love all my Air-Bake pans. Even the cookie sheets (especially) - I
don't like the cookie bottoms getting browner than the tops, so for me,
they're perfect. I have one regular sheet pan and always have to be
extra careful to take the cookies out before the bottoms are too brown.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> I love all my Air-Bake pans. Even the cookie sheets (especially) - I
> don't like the cookie bottoms getting browner than the tops, so for me,
> they're perfect. I have one regular sheet pan and always have to be
> extra careful to take the cookies out before the bottoms are too brown.

I agree with Nancy2 in most respects. My preference for chocolate chip
cookies is even brownness, and those are ordinarily baked on one of
five or six insulated pans we have. But recently I made a simple
butter cookie that needed to be heavily browned to taste good (to me).
Those cookies are baked on regular cookie sheets.

Insulated pans are very good for bacon too. It takes longer but the
bacon is less likely to burn.

Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:
> The ones with the double bottoms with an air space in between.
>
> I have an insulated jelly roll pan which I used for the first time
> last night. As it turns out, I have to pay attention to the size
> called for in recipes because mine is just a tad bigger than what's
> callef for, and that makes a difference.
>
> Last night I used it just like I would a normal pan (put in the middle
> of the oven) but noticed there wasn't much oven spring and the cake
> texture was bad (I tossed the whole thing). Part of that could be due
> to the mixing directions not being adequate (I used the recipe exactly
> as written). But I reasoned also that the bottom might take too long
> to heat.
>
> So this morning I tried again. I made some changes in the recipe and
> the mixing process. I put the cake on the *bottom* rack, closest to
> the heat source.
>
> Much better!
>
> The problem I have with insulated cookie sheets is the cookie bottoms
> don't brown.
>
> At least I don't have to buy a new jelly roll pan.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I make my own insulated cookie sheets by simply stacking one on top of
another. The light colored aluminum Airbake cookie sheets reflect too
much of the heat away from them.

Bread baking pans Jennifer Murphy[_2_] General Cooking 12 07-08-2011 08:18 PM
Baking Pans biig General Cooking 4 11-01-2007 02:05 PM
Smartware Baking Pans cook Marketplace 0 06-06-2005 08:59 PM
blue baking pans? Julia Altshuler General Cooking 15 27-12-2003 12:51 AM
Question About Baking Pans Danny Hardesty General Cooking 3 19-10-2003 03:59 PM