JANIC412

Default ? about tipping

I know tipping has been discussed a lot but I have a rather unique problem.
When having dinner with a CEO or Executive chef at the restaurant they are in
charge of -and they are picking up the tab and adding the tip to their account,
is it proper for me to tip the waiter as well? I was afraid that the person
would be offended if I had tipped also, thinking that they did not tip well
enough so I did nothing. Any thoughts on this? Jan
Vox Humana

"JANIC412" > wrote in message
> I know tipping has been discussed a lot but I have a rather unique

problem.
> When having dinner with a CEO or Executive chef at the restaurant they are

in
> charge of -and they are picking up the tab and adding the tip to their

account,
> is it proper for me to tip the waiter as well? I was afraid that the

person
> would be offended if I had tipped also, thinking that they did not tip

well
> enough so I did nothing. Any thoughts on this? Jan

If you can think of some reason to tip multiple times for the same service,
then go ahead. I can't think of any reason for a supplemental tip than the
one you gave. That is, you didn't think the original tip was adequate. If
you leave money in addition to an adequate tip, it is simply a gift. My
mother is a poor tipper, so I often find a reason to return to the table and
leave some additional money. She doesn't know that I am doing it and the
waiter get a reasonable tip.

Peter Aitken

"JANIC412" > wrote in message
> I know tipping has been discussed a lot but I have a rather unique

problem.
> When having dinner with a CEO or Executive chef at the restaurant they are

in
> charge of -and they are picking up the tab and adding the tip to their

account,
> is it proper for me to tip the waiter as well? I was afraid that the

person
> would be offended if I had tipped also, thinking that they did not tip

well
> enough so I did nothing. Any thoughts on this? Jan

No. If you are being hosted (sounds like fun!) it could indeed be insulting
to your host if you tipped. Even if you saw that they left a pitiful tip, it
is not your place as guest to butt in here.

--
Peter Aitken

Nancy Young

Vox Humana wrote:

> "JANIC412" > wrote in message

> > I know tipping has been discussed a lot but I have a rather unique

> problem.
> > When having dinner with a CEO or Executive chef at the restaurant they are

> in
> > charge of -and they are picking up the tab and adding the tip to their

> account,
> > is it proper for me to tip the waiter as well? I was afraid that the

> person
> > would be offended if I had tipped also, thinking that they did not tip

> well
> > enough so I did nothing. Any thoughts on this? Jan

Your instincts are right on, don't even *think* about adding a tip.
That would be a huge faux pas.

> My
> mother is a poor tipper, so I often find a reason to return to the table and
> leave some additional money. She doesn't know that I am doing it and the
> waiter get a reasonable tip.

I've done that, but with coworkers who are cheap. I sneak some money
under my plate when no one is looking. I wouldn't even try that when
it's a business lunch with boss types.

nancy
JANIC412

Thanks to all of you. That is what I thought too but I wanted to make sure and
not seem cheap. Jan

JANIC412 > wrote:
> I know tipping has been discussed a lot but I have a rather unique problem.
> When having dinner with a CEO or Executive chef at the restaurant they are in
> charge of -and they are picking up the tab and adding the tip to their account,
> is it proper for me to tip the waiter as well? I was afraid that the person
> would be offended if I had tipped also, thinking that they did not tip well
> enough so I did nothing. Any thoughts on this? Jan

No, if the owner or exec chef is picking up the tab, then that includes
the entire cost of the meal, tip included. At least that's the way it
was when I had a friend who managed a very upscale suburban Philadelphia
restaurant a few years ago who invited my family and me for dinner two
or three times. My friend told me point blank that he would pick up the
entire tab and not to leave a tip so that's what I did.

Tipping at the bar asdf Beer 19 26-11-2006 06:34 AM
Tipping my be out???? Richard Neidich Wine 27 22-09-2005 03:04 AM
Tipping in the US jmcquown General Cooking 36 09-03-2005 01:43 PM
Tipping - was Tipping on Wine Dick R. Wine 21 26-08-2004 03:05 AM
Tipping limey General Cooking 5 09-03-2004 07:30 AM