Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default green lamp oven?

Maybe I'm dreaming, but about the mid 1990's I vaguely remember a new
cooking technology, actually a new type of oven being talked about, if
not sold. Supposedly it used some kind of green lamp to cook food, and
was supposedly similar to a convection oven, but more like microwave
cooking speed, and I believe the manufacturer claimed that foods
didn't get weird in there the same way some foods get in the microwave
oven. I tried to Google this, but cannot find one shred of info about
this oven. What happened to this technology? Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:08:45 -0700, dke3591 > wrote:

>Maybe I'm dreaming, but about the mid 1990's I vaguely remember a new
>cooking technology, actually a new type of oven being talked about, if
>not sold. Supposedly it used some kind of green lamp to cook food, and
>was supposedly similar to a convection oven, but more like microwave
>cooking speed, and I believe the manufacturer claimed that foods
>didn't get weird in there the same way some foods get in the microwave
>oven. I tried to Google this, but cannot find one shred of info about
>this oven. What happened to this technology? Thanks.

Were you high at the time? Are you absolutely, positively sure you're
not thinking about an Easy Bake Oven?

--

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 12:33 am, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:08:45 -0700, dke3591 > wrote:
> >Maybe I'm dreaming, but about the mid 1990's I vaguely remember a new
> >cooking technology, actually a new type of oven being talked about, if
> >not sold. Supposedly it used some kind of green lamp to cook food, and
> >was supposedly similar to a convection oven, but more like microwave
> >cooking speed, and I believe the manufacturer claimed that foods
> >didn't get weird in there the same way some foods get in the microwave
> >oven. I tried to Google this, but cannot find one shred of info about
> >this oven. What happened to this technology? Thanks.

> Were you high at the time? Are you absolutely, positively sure you're
> not thinking about an Easy Bake Oven?

When my niece was 5, I tried to get her to eat a cicada that I cooked
in her Easy Bake Oven. She would not eat it. Right now I'm trying
not to laugh in a way that would wake my wife up. It was nested in a
bed of dandelion greens. The presentation was nice, but it was still
a cicada.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 6:24 am, The Truthful Assh0le > wrote:
> On Aug 14, 12:33 am, sf wrote:> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:08:45 -0700, dke3591 > wrote:
> > >Maybe I'm dreaming, but about the mid 1990's I vaguely remember a new
> > >cooking technology, actually a new type of oven being talked about, if
> > >not sold. Supposedly it used some kind of green lamp to cook food, and
> > >was supposedly similar to a convection oven, but more like microwave
> > >cooking speed, and I believe the manufacturer claimed that foods
> > >didn't get weird in there the same way some foods get in the microwave
> > >oven. I tried to Google this, but cannot find one shred of info about
> > >this oven. What happened to this technology? Thanks.

> > Were you high at the time? Are you absolutely, positively sure you're
> > not thinking about an Easy Bake Oven?

> When my niece was 5, I tried to get her to eat a cicada that I cooked
> in her Easy Bake Oven. She would not eat it. Right now I'm trying
> not to laugh in a way that would wake my wife up. It was nested in a
> bed of dandelion greens. The presentation was nice, but it was still
> a cicada.

Oh, I should add that I was about 10 or 11 myself at the time.

> --Bryan

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 7:08 pm, dke3591 > wrote:
> Maybe I'm dreaming, but about the mid 1990's I vaguely remember a new
> cooking technology, actually a new type of oven being talked about, if
> not sold. Supposedly it used some kind of green lamp to cook food, and
> was supposedly similar to a convection oven, but more like microwave
> cooking speed, and I believe the manufacturer claimed that foods
> didn't get weird in there the same way some foods get in the microwave
> oven. I tried to Google this, but cannot find one shred of info about
> this oven. What happened to this technology? Thanks.

I remember seeing it in an ad in the newpaper IIRC now, however that
person who showed it to me always read rags like the National
Enquirer, Star, etc., so maybe it was some bogus fluke or even a scam.
I know it wasn't an Easy Bake, it was an "adult" oven, and it said
something like the green rays are so intense and concentrated. I'm
thinking maybe some kind of infra-red deal where the light may have
appeared green for some reason (the military uses IR vision which
appears green). Whatever this is, it must have been nixed right away.
Thanks for the replies. Just curious if anyone else ever heard of
this. If this was during the 70's, I most definately would have been
high ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 04:50:49 -0700, The Truthful Assh0le
> wrote:

>On Aug 14, 6:24 am, The Truthful Assh0le > wrote:

>> > Were you high at the time? Are you absolutely, positively sure you're
>> > not thinking about an Easy Bake Oven?

>> When my niece was 5, I tried to get her to eat a cicada that I cooked
>> in her Easy Bake Oven. She would not eat it. Right now I'm trying
>> not to laugh in a way that would wake my wife up. It was nested in a
>> bed of dandelion greens. The presentation was nice, but it was still
>> a cicada.

>Oh, I should add that I was about 10 or 11 myself at the time.

Wheew!

--

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
says...
> On Aug 13, 7:08 pm, dke3591 > wrote:
> > Maybe I'm dreaming, but about the mid 1990's I vaguely remember a new
> > cooking technology, actually a new type of oven being talked about, if
> > not sold. Supposedly it used some kind of green lamp to cook food, and
> > was supposedly similar to a convection oven, but more like microwave
> > cooking speed, and I believe the manufacturer claimed that foods
> > didn't get weird in there the same way some foods get in the microwave
> > oven. I tried to Google this, but cannot find one shred of info about
> > this oven. What happened to this technology? Thanks.

> I remember seeing it in an ad in the newpaper IIRC now, however that
> person who showed it to me always read rags like the National
> Enquirer, Star, etc., so maybe it was some bogus fluke or even a scam.
> I know it wasn't an Easy Bake, it was an "adult" oven, and it said
> something like the green rays are so intense and concentrated. I'm
> thinking maybe some kind of infra-red deal where the light may have
> appeared green for some reason (the military uses IR vision which
> appears green). Whatever this is, it must have been nixed right away.
> Thanks for the replies. Just curious if anyone else ever heard of
> this. If this was during the 70's, I most definately would have been
> high ;-)

Might it be this beast?

http://www.geappliances.com/products...ons/advantium/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 3:20 pm, T > wrote:
> In article om>,
> says...
>

> > On Aug 13, 7:08 pm, dke3591 > wrote:
> > > Maybe I'm dreaming, but about the mid 1990's I vaguely remember a new
> > > cooking technology, actually a new type of oven being talked about, if
> > > not sold. Supposedly it used some kind of green lamp to cook food, and
> > > was supposedly similar to a convection oven, but more like microwave
> > > cooking speed, and I believe the manufacturer claimed that foods
> > > didn't get weird in there the same way some foods get in the microwave
> > > oven. I tried to Google this, but cannot find one shred of info about
> > > this oven. What happened to this technology? Thanks.

> > I remember seeing it in an ad in the newpaper IIRC now, however that
> > person who showed it to me always read rags like the National
> > Enquirer, Star, etc., so maybe it was some bogus fluke or even a scam.
> > I know it wasn't an Easy Bake, it was an "adult" oven, and it said
> > something like the green rays are so intense and concentrated. I'm
> > thinking maybe some kind of infra-red deal where the light may have
> > appeared green for some reason (the military uses IR vision which
> > appears green). Whatever this is, it must have been nixed right away.
> > Thanks for the replies. Just curious if anyone else ever heard of
> > this. If this was during the 70's, I most definately would have been
> > high ;-)

> Might it be this beast?
>
> http://www.geappliances.com/products...ons/advantium/

Thanks much T, That may be similar to what I remember reading about (I
never seen one), but the Advantium seems bigger. The one I read about
was supposedly the size of a household microwave or convection oven. I
think it did say it uses microwaves and light, so maybe the halogen
lamps were green. The Advantium doesn't state the color of the lamps,
but this may be a "big brother" to the one I read about, which also
may have been a real early model, and maybe at that time it used green
light for that model. I remember reading that the green light did the
cooking. I did happen to find this, when doing a Google newsgroup
search for green light ovens, closest I can find, but it was in a
forum about cell phones and being exposed to different type of
radiation. According to this poster, green light can be pretty nasty,
here's the relevant snippet:

>400,000 GHz = ~ green light
> 2.45 GHz = microwave oven frequency.

At 1 m with 100W radiation exposure to 2.45 Ghz you'd get cooked but
might
survive for a while. If that were 'green light' you'd be badly burnt
and
very quickly too - microwave will spread out for more then green light
amoung other factors.

Even a 1 watt green light source is considered dangerous - notice the
warnings on lasers of only a few milliwatts

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 3:20 pm, T > wrote:
> In article om>,
> says...
>

> > On Aug 13, 7:08 pm, dke3591 > wrote:
> > > Maybe I'm dreaming, but about the mid 1990's I vaguely remember a new
> > > cooking technology, actually a new type of oven being talked about, if
> > > not sold. Supposedly it used some kind of green lamp to cook food, and
> > > was supposedly similar to a convection oven, but more like microwave
> > > cooking speed, and I believe the manufacturer claimed that foods
> > > didn't get weird in there the same way some foods get in the microwave
> > > oven. I tried to Google this, but cannot find one shred of info about
> > > this oven. What happened to this technology? Thanks.

> > I remember seeing it in an ad in the newpaper IIRC now, however that
> > person who showed it to me always read rags like the National
> > Enquirer, Star, etc., so maybe it was some bogus fluke or even a scam.
> > I know it wasn't an Easy Bake, it was an "adult" oven, and it said
> > something like the green rays are so intense and concentrated. I'm
> > thinking maybe some kind of infra-red deal where the light may have
> > appeared green for some reason (the military uses IR vision which
> > appears green). Whatever this is, it must have been nixed right away.
> > Thanks for the replies. Just curious if anyone else ever heard of
> > this. If this was during the 70's, I most definately would have been
> > high ;-)

> Might it be this beast?
>
> http://www.geappliances.com/products...ons/advantium/

Thanks much T, That may be similar to what I remember reading about (I
never seen one), but the Advantium seems bigger. The one I read about
was supposedly the size of a household microwave or convection oven. I
think it did say it uses microwaves and light, so maybe the halogen
lamps were green. The Advantium doesn't state the color of the lamps,
but this may be a "big brother" to the one I read about, which also
may have been a real early model, and maybe at that time it used green
light for that model. I remember reading that the green light did the
cooking. I did happen to find this, when doing a Google newsgroup
search for green light ovens, closest I can find, but it was in a
forum about cell phones and being exposed to different type of
radiation. According to this poster, green light can be pretty nasty,
here's the relevant snippet:

>400,000 GHz = ~ green light
> 2.45 GHz = microwave oven frequency.

At 1 m with 100W radiation exposure to 2.45 Ghz you'd get cooked but
might
survive for a while. If that were 'green light' you'd be badly burnt
and
very quickly too - microwave will spread out for more then green light
amoung other factors.

Even a 1 watt green light source is considered dangerous - notice the
warnings on lasers of only a few milliwatts

Posted to rec.food.cooking

: At 1 m with 100W radiation exposure to 2.45 Ghz you'd get cooked but
: might
: survive for a while. If that were 'green light' you'd be badly burnt
: and
: very quickly too - microwave will spread out for more then green light
: amoung other factors.

: Even a 1 watt green light source is considered dangerous - notice the
: warnings on lasers of only a few milliwatts

"green light" isn't the same as "laser light". The light from a Halogen
bulb isn't collimated, light from a laser is. Uncollimated light isn't
dangerous.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dke3591 > wrote:
> forum about cell phones and being exposed to different type of
> radiation. According to this poster, green light can be pretty nasty,
> here's the relevant snippet:

> >400,000 GHz = ~ green light
> > 2.45 GHz = microwave oven frequency.

> At 1 m with 100W radiation exposure to 2.45 Ghz you'd get cooked but
> might
> survive for a while. If that were 'green light' you'd be badly burnt
> and
> very quickly too - microwave will spread out for more then green light
> amoung other factors.

Someone is confusing frequency with power. The frequency of light is
very different from that of microwaves, yes, but just because they are
much higher frequency does not make them any more dangerous or powerful.
Radiation danger can, and does, vary with frequency but light frequencies
in general are not too harmful until you get into the ultraviolet ranges.

> Even a 1 watt green light source is considered dangerous - notice the
> warnings on lasers of only a few milliwatts

Lasers are a different thing than just plain light. The warnings
are usually concerned with eye damage and that is at least partly because
the eye is specifically sensitive to those frequencies. For example staring
at the Sun will damage your eyes very quickly, but sunlight on you skin does
not burn right away, and that is due to ultraviolet components of the light.
The green part of sunlight won't hurt a bit.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.