Anthony Ewell

Default newbie need lamp spice advice

Hi All,

At best , I am an amateur cook. I have a
beautiful boneless leg of lamb that I want to
put down my also beautiful pressure cooker.

Problem: I have no clue what the spices
are for lamb. Will those that know how please
educate me as to what they are? (Please no
mixes -- single spices only.) I am rather
fond of Greek cooking, if that helps.

Many thanks,
--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish. Therefore, I am.

Anthony Ewell

Donna Rose wrote:

> In article >, says...
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>> At best , I am an amateur cook. I have a
>>beautiful boneless leg of lamb that I want to
>>put down my also beautiful pressure cooker.
>>
>> Problem: I have no clue what the spices
>>are for lamb. Will those that know how please
>>educate me as to what they are? (Please no
>>mixes -- single spices only.) I am rather
>>fond of Greek cooking, if that helps.
>>
>>Many thanks,
>>--Tony
>>

> Classic herbs for lamb are rosemary and thyme. I prefer fresh but you
> can use dried if that's all you have. Rub a bit of olive oil all over
> the meat, then chop your herbs finely and rub them over the meat as
> well. I like to also insert slivers of garlic all over the meat by
> puncturing the meat with a knife and then forcing a slice of garlic into
> it.
>
> I'm sort of curious though why you would cook a leg of lamb in a pressure
> cooker. This sort of cut of meat is usually much better grilled or
> roasted. If you don't have access to a grill, cook it on a rack in a
> shallow roasting pan in your oven at 350F until it reaches an internal
> temperature of 135F or so - depending on how you like your lamb - I like
> mine medium rare and if you pull it at 135 and let it rest for 20 minutes
> it will probably rise to 145. If you like yours more well done, cook it
> to 145 and again, let it rest.

Hi Donna,

Thank you !

I do not have access to my oven/grill at the moment.

Do you use equal amount of rosemary and thyme? Or,
does it matter?

--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish. Therefore, I am.

zxcvbob

Anthony Ewell wrote:

> Donna Rose wrote:
>
>> In article >, says...
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> At best , I am an amateur cook. I have a
>>> beautiful boneless leg of lamb that I want to
>>> put down my also beautiful pressure cooker.
>>>
>>> Problem: I have no clue what the spices
>>> are for lamb. Will those that know how please
>>> educate me as to what they are? (Please no
>>> mixes -- single spices only.) I am rather
>>> fond of Greek cooking, if that helps.
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> --Tony
>>>

>> Classic herbs for lamb are rosemary and thyme. I prefer fresh but you
>> can use dried if that's all you have. Rub a bit of olive oil all over
>> the meat, then chop your herbs finely and rub them over the meat as
>> well. I like to also insert slivers of garlic all over the meat by
>> puncturing the meat with a knife and then forcing a slice of garlic
>> into it.
>> I'm sort of curious though why you would cook a leg of lamb in a
>> pressure cooker. This sort of cut of meat is usually much better
>> grilled or roasted. If you don't have access to a grill, cook it on a
>> rack in a shallow roasting pan in your oven at 350F until it reaches
>> an internal temperature of 135F or so - depending on how you like your
>> lamb - I like mine medium rare and if you pull it at 135 and let it
>> rest for 20 minutes it will probably rise to 145. If you like yours
>> more well done, cook it to 145 and again, let it rest.

> Hi Donna,
>
> Thank you !
>
> I do not have access to my oven/grill at the moment.
>
> Do you use equal amount of rosemary and thyme? Or,
> does it matter?
>
> --Tony

Whatever you like; just don't use a lot because rosemary and thyme are
*very* powerful.

Next time I cook lamb chops, I'm gonna try marinading a couple in gin
and see how that works (juniper berries and whatever other spices gin
has in it)

Bob

Peter Aitken

"Anthony Ewell" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> At best , I am an amateur cook. I have a
> beautiful boneless leg of lamb that I want to
> put down my also beautiful pressure cooker.
>
> Problem: I have no clue what the spices
> are for lamb. Will those that know how please
> educate me as to what they are? (Please no
> mixes -- single spices only.) I am rather
> fond of Greek cooking, if that helps.
>
> Many thanks,
> --Tony

Amateur cooks are the best! But if you put a leg of lamb in a pressure
cooker you will surely pay for it in your next life <g>!! Leg of lamb should
be cooked to medium rare in the oven or on a grill. Rosemary is a beauitiful
match, as is garlic. A mustard coating works well too.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Anthony Ewell" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> At best , I am an amateur cook. I have a
> beautiful boneless leg of lamb that I want to
> put down my also beautiful pressure cooker.
>
> Problem: I have no clue what the spices
> are for lamb. Will those that know how please
> educate me as to what they are? (Please no
> mixes -- single spices only.) I am rather
> fond of Greek cooking, if that helps.
>
> Many thanks,
> --Tony

Amateur cooks are the best! But if you put a leg of lamb in a pressure
cooker you will surely pay for it in your next life <g>!! Leg of lamb should
be cooked to medium rare in the oven or on a grill. Rosemary is a beauitiful
match, as is garlic. A mustard coating works well too.

--
Peter Aitken

WardNA

>Classic herbs for lamb are rosemary and thyme.

Indeed. And black pepper, of course. A garlic rub would be welcome.

Yeah, the pressure cooker is mystifying; you miss your chance to dribble lemon
juice over the thing while it's roasting. If you don't have an oven, don't
pressure-cook it; just stir-fry.

Neil
WardNA

>Classic herbs for lamb are rosemary and thyme.

Indeed. And black pepper, of course. A garlic rub would be welcome.

Yeah, the pressure cooker is mystifying; you miss your chance to dribble lemon
juice over the thing while it's roasting. If you don't have an oven, don't
pressure-cook it; just stir-fry.

Neil
alzelt

Anthony Ewell wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> At best , I am an amateur cook. I have a
> beautiful boneless leg of lamb that I want to
> put down my also beautiful pressure cooker.
>
> Problem: I have no clue what the spices
> are for lamb. Will those that know how please
> educate me as to what they are? (Please no
> mixes -- single spices only.) I am rather
> fond of Greek cooking, if that helps.
>
> Many thanks,
> --Tony

The best advice anyone could give to you is to forget about the pressure
cooker. This is not one of those foods that would benefit from it. Quite
the contrary.

Here is a recipe that has become a family favorite, and of those that
share it with us.

(and trust me. You will never know there are anchovies in it when you
serve it. Don't tell anyone. I know they won't know it. So, don't let
their prejudices surface. If you are just busting to tell them, do so
after dinner.)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Leg of Lamb Gascon-style

Recipe By : d'Artagnon
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dinner French
Lamb Main Dish
Meats

1 6 pound leg of lamb
8 garlic cloves -- halved
12 anchovy fillets -- packed in oil
Freshly ground black peppercorn to taste
2 TBSP D’Artagnan rendered duck fat
1 carrot -- coarsely chopped
1 onion -- coarsely chopped
1 turnip -- coarseley chopped
1 cup D'Artagnan duck demi-glace

1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2.Using a sharp knife, make sixteen small incisions in the leg of lamb
and slide the garlic halves into them. Make 12 small incisions between
the fat and the flesh of the lamb and slide the anchovies into them. The
anchovies should stay near the surface of the meat. Sprinkle with pepper.

3.Heat the duck fat over a high flame in a heavy ovenproof pan large
enough to hold the entire leg of lamb. Quickly sear the lamb on all
sides, then place the pan in the oven. Roast for 45 minutes, scatter the
carrot, onion, and turnip around the roast and cook for another 40-45
minutes for medium rare, or more according to your preference.

4.Remove the meat from the oven and let rest in a warm place. Discard
the fat from the pan, deglaze with the duck demi-glace, and reduce by
half over a high flame. Pass the sauce through a fine sieve, pushing on
the vegetables to extract all the juices. Return the sauce to the
saucepan just to heat it. Slice the lamb and serve with the sauce on the
side and with potatoes sautéed in duck fat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES :
When a dish is called "en Gasconnade" (in Gascon style), it usually
means that some garlic and anchovies are in it. Garlic has always
been part of Gascon cooking, and the anchovies appeared in the Middles
Ages, when the government imposed a high tax on salt. The ingenious
Gascons started to use salted anchovies in their cooking, creating
complex and succulent dishes while avoiding tax.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Anthony Ewell

alzelt wrote:

> [...]

> 4.Remove the meat from the oven and let rest in a warm place. Discard
> the fat from the pan, deglaze with the duck demi-glace, and reduce by
> half over a high flame. Pass the sauce through a fine sieve, pushing on
> the vegetables to extract all the juices. Return the sauce to the
> saucepan just to heat it. Slice the lamb and serve with the sauce on the
> side and with potatoes sautéed in duck fat.
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> NOTES :
> When a dish is called "en Gasconnade" (in Gascon style), it usually
> means that some garlic and anchovies are in it. Garlic has always
> been part of Gascon cooking, and the anchovies appeared in the Middles
> Ages, when the government imposed a high tax on salt. The ingenious
> Gascons started to use salted anchovies in their cooking, creating
> complex and succulent dishes while avoiding tax.

Dude! What part of amatuer did you not understand?!?!? I don't even
know what half of those things are you called out!

--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish. Therefore, I am.

Anthony Ewell

WardNA wrote:

>>Classic herbs for lamb are rosemary and thyme.

> Indeed. And black pepper, of course. A garlic rub would be welcome.
>
> Yeah, the pressure cooker is mystifying; you miss your chance to dribble lemon
> juice over the thing while it's roasting. If you don't have an oven, don't
> pressure-cook it; just stir-fry.
>
> Neil

Hi Neil,

Not to ask too stupid a questoin, but how does one stir fry
something the size of grapefruit?

Lemon. Hmmmm. I tried a tiny bit of that on my artichokes
once. Hated it. Stuck with garlic, olive oil and salt in the
end. And, yes, I put artichokes down the pressure cooker
as well.

Thank you for the tips!

--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish. Therefore, I am.

Anthony Ewell

WardNA wrote:

>>Classic herbs for lamb are rosemary and thyme.

> Indeed. And black pepper, of course. A garlic rub would be welcome.
>
> Yeah, the pressure cooker is mystifying; you miss your chance to dribble lemon
> juice over the thing while it's roasting. If you don't have an oven, don't
> pressure-cook it; just stir-fry.
>
> Neil

Hi Neil,

Not to ask too stupid a questoin, but how does one stir fry
something the size of grapefruit?

Lemon. Hmmmm. I tried a tiny bit of that on my artichokes
once. Hated it. Stuck with garlic, olive oil and salt in the
end. And, yes, I put artichokes down the pressure cooker
as well.

Thank you for the tips!

--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish. Therefore, I am.
-------------------------

John Droge

"Anthony Ewell" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> At best , I am an amateur cook. I have a
> beautiful boneless leg of lamb that I want to
> put down my also beautiful pressure cooker.
>
> Problem: I have no clue what the spices
> are for lamb. Will those that know how please
> educate me as to what they are? (Please no
> mixes -- single spices only.) I am rather
> fond of Greek cooking, if that helps.
>
> Many thanks,
> --Tony
>
> --
> -------------------------
> I Fish. Therefore, I am.
> -------------------------

Please can that pressure cooker!!! My mom always made a leg of lamb the way
she learned on the farm in Germany using a very large very heavy (1/4"
sides-3/8" bottom) soup pot. Brown very well and then braise. She learned to
use pressure cookers after coming to the US but would NEVER do lamb in one.
John

Mr. Wizard

> Please can that pressure cooker!!! My mom always made a leg of lamb the

way
> she learned on the farm in Germany using a very large very heavy (1/4"
> sides-3/8" bottom) soup pot. Brown very well and then braise. She learned

> use pressure cookers after coming to the US but would NEVER do lamb in

one.
> John

I thought he was looking to cook a lamp?

Mr. Wizard

> Please can that pressure cooker!!! My mom always made a leg of lamb the

way
> she learned on the farm in Germany using a very large very heavy (1/4"
> sides-3/8" bottom) soup pot. Brown very well and then braise. She learned

> use pressure cookers after coming to the US but would NEVER do lamb in

one.
> John

I thought he was looking to cook a lamp?

John Droge

"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
om...

> > Please can that pressure cooker!!! My mom always made a leg of lamb the

> way
> > she learned on the farm in Germany using a very large very heavy (1/4"
> > sides-3/8" bottom) soup pot. Brown very well and then braise. She

learned
> > use pressure cookers after coming to the US but would NEVER do lamb in

> one.
> > John
> >

> I thought he was looking to cook a lamp?

Oh--well that's different
Never mind

John Droge

"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
om...

> > Please can that pressure cooker!!! My mom always made a leg of lamb the

> way
> > she learned on the farm in Germany using a very large very heavy (1/4"
> > sides-3/8" bottom) soup pot. Brown very well and then braise. She

learned
> > use pressure cookers after coming to the US but would NEVER do lamb in

> one.
> > John
> >

> I thought he was looking to cook a lamp?

Oh--well that's different
Never mind

Blair P. Houghton

Anthony Ewell > wrote:
> Problem: I have no clue what the spices
>are for lamb. Will those that know how please
>educate me as to what they are? (Please no
>mixes -- single spices only.) I am rather
>fond of Greek cooking, if that helps.

Garlic rules.

--Blair
"As usual."