Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nice Fresh Local Produce

The Ripley, TN tomatoes are now at the height of their season. Big, juicy,
vine ripened tomatoes, 78 cents/lb. Good thing; I'll be making some sauce
for pasta and the ones I saw are really great. Perfectly ripened!

The yellow squash and zucchini is outstanding as is the zucchini and the
pattypan squash. Nice size, firm and unblemished (shut up, Sheldon!).
Yellow and white corn on the cob looks pretty good but it should be better
in another couple of weeks if it doesn't succumb to this heat.

Peaches and plums look really nice, too. Melons of all kinds, of course.
Other items such as fresh spinach, kale and swiss chard look pretty good.
The broccoli is very pretty

What surprises is me is the local produce (yes, they have separate
tables/bins for it) featured at my grocery store of choice, Schnuck's, looks
better than what's at the farmer's market. Perhaps it's the fact that it's
in a nice cool store makes the difference. The prices are also quite on par
with the farmer's market, so I opted to purchase at the grocery store. The
produce hates 100F, I hate shopping in it even more

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> The produce hates 100F, I hate shopping in it even more

Alas, you are braver than I.

Mangi,

--
Andy
Three Stooges in One
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> jmcquown said...
>
>> The produce hates 100F, I hate shopping in it even more

> Alas, you are braver than I.
>
> Mangi,

> Andy

Officially, it is 99F in Winchester, VA. I thought today I'd roast the
beets, but the a/c would have to work harder.

Then I wondered if I should boil them outside, but boiled beets turn out so
anaemic.
It's getting late in the day to ponder too much longer.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> jmcquown said...
>>
>>> The produce hates 100F, I hate shopping in it even more

>> Alas, you are braver than I.
>>
>> Mangi,

>> Andy

> Officially, it is 99F in Winchester, VA. I thought today I'd roast the
> beets, but the a/c would have to work harder.
>
> Then I wondered if I should boil them outside, but boiled beets turn out
> so anaemic.
> It's getting late in the day to ponder too much longer.
> Dee Dee

When in doubt... PUNT.

--
Andy
Three Stooges in One
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 10:07?am, jmcquown wrote:

> The Ripley, TN tomatoes are now at the height of
> their season. Big, juicy, vine ripened tomatoes, 78
> cents/lb.

$0.78 per pound! The best price I've seen for field
ripened tomatoes has been $2.00 in some farmers
markets - $3.00 for heirlooms. I'm not that crazy
about the heirlooms. I like the colors and irregular
shapes but some of them don't seem to have much
flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee wrote on Wed, 8 Aug 2007 15:06:12 -0400:

DD> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
??>> jmcquown said...
??>>
??>>> The produce hates 100F, I hate shopping in it even more
??>>>
??>>
??>> Alas, you are braver than I.
??>>
??>> Mangi,

??>> Andy

DD> Officially, it is 99F in Winchester, VA. I thought today
DD> I'd roast the beets, but the a/c would have to work harder.

How hot did it get? The radio said 102F in Washington DC but
around here in Potomac, my car thermometer measured 98F at 3pm.
I'm not cooking....finish off the gazpacho :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Dan is offline

jmcquown wrote:
> The Ripley, TN tomatoes are now at the height of their season. Big, juicy,
> vine ripened tomatoes, 78 cents/lb. Good thing; I'll be making some sauce
> for pasta and the ones I saw are really great. Perfectly ripened!
>
> The yellow squash and zucchini is outstanding as is the zucchini and the
> pattypan squash. Nice size, firm and unblemished (shut up, Sheldon!).
> Yellow and white corn on the cob looks pretty good but it should be better
> in another couple of weeks if it doesn't succumb to this heat.
>
> Peaches and plums look really nice, too. Melons of all kinds, of course.
> Other items such as fresh spinach, kale and swiss chard look pretty good.
> The broccoli is very pretty
>
> What surprises is me is the local produce (yes, they have separate
> tables/bins for it) featured at my grocery store of choice, Schnuck's, looks
> better than what's at the farmer's market. Perhaps it's the fact that it's
> in a nice cool store makes the difference. The prices are also quite on par
> with the farmer's market, so I opted to purchase at the grocery store. The
> produce hates 100F, I hate shopping in it even more
>
> Jill

Let me guess. The farmers market doesn't accept food stamps?

I'll leave the 100ºF remark alone. That's just dumb.

Dan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan said...

> Let me guess. The farmers market doesn't accept food stamps?
>
> I'll leave the 100§F remark alone. That's just dumb.
>
> Dan

Well, ain't you just a ray o' sunshine!

Didn't your parents teach you, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say
anything?!?

Ya BUM!!!!!!

--
Andy
Three Stooges in One
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:17:37 -0400, Dan <intrceptor@gmaildotcom>
wrote:

>> The Ripley, TN tomatoes are now at the height

And you haven't lived until you have had East Tennessee Grainger
County tomatoes. Ripley's taste like California imports in the
middle of Januray by comparison.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Dan said...
>
>> Let me guess. The farmers market doesn't accept food stamps?
>>
>> I'll leave the 100§F remark alone. That's just dumb.
>>
>> Dan

> Well, ain't you just a ray o' sunshine!
>
> Didn't your parents teach you, if you have nothing nice to say, don't
> say anything?!?
>
> Ya BUM!!!!!!

I love the way people just assume food stamp benefits go on and on and on,
in perpetuity. Perhaps for some people they do; in my case, not. At any
rate, they accept credit and debit cards using the same machines as any
other food store so I'd imagine they have a button for EBT, as well. I
simply didn't like the look of the produce. It was much better at the
grocery store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:17:37 -0400, Dan <intrceptor@gmaildotcom>
> wrote:
>
>>> The Ripley, TN tomatoes are now at the height

> And you haven't lived until you have had East Tennessee Grainger
> County tomatoes. Ripley's taste like California imports in the
> middle of Januray by comparison.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't plan to drive across the state to try
them, though

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> DD> Officially, it is 99F in Winchester, VA. I thought today
> DD> I'd roast the beets, but the a/c would have to work harder.
>
> How hot did it get? The radio said 102F in Washington DC but around here
> in Potomac, my car thermometer measured 98F at 3pm. I'm not
> cooking....finish off the gazpacho :-)
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

I didn't hear or see yet what the high was in Winchester, but at my house,
the thermometer got to 98º. I'm going to have to get busy and decide on a
weather station. Everytime I look, I start at a low price, then up it goes
to the top of the line, and then I stop looking again, knowing that I'm
foolish to look at it this way.

Didn't do the beets. But it dawned on me that I could chunk them and roast
them, but too late. I usually roast them whole. I found a borscht receipe
that I am going to make tomorrow with the beets, which I happen to have all
the ingredients, beets, carrots, white onion, cabbage, dill, lemon juice...

Gazpacho sounds good. I ended up defrosting kielbasa, heating some
sauerkraut (Kuhne brand), quick frying some leeks, potatoes and roasted red
bell peppers from a jar -- sounds like a Sandra Lee dinner.

Dee Dee
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Dan said...
>>
>>> Let me guess. The farmers market doesn't accept food stamps?
>>>
>>> I'll leave the 100§F remark alone. That's just dumb.
>>>
>>> Dan

>> Well, ain't you just a ray o' sunshine!
>>
>> Didn't your parents teach you, if you have nothing nice to say, don't
>> say anything?!?
>>
>> Ya BUM!!!!!!

> I love the way people just assume food stamp benefits go on and on and

on,
> in perpetuity. Perhaps for some people they do; in my case, not. At any
> rate, they accept credit and debit cards using the same machines as any
> other food store so I'd imagine they have a button for EBT, as well. I
> simply didn't like the look of the produce. It was much better at the
> grocery store.

Jill,

You don't need to explain yourself to me or the rest of the Bozos on this
bus!

<smootch>

--
Andy
Three Stooges in One
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> jmcquown said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Dan said...

>>> Well, ain't you just a ray o' sunshine!
>>>
>>> Didn't your parents teach you, if you have nothing nice to say,
>>> don't say anything?!?
>>>
>>> Ya BUM!!!!!!

>> I love the way people just assume food stamp benefits go on and on
>> and on, in perpetuity. Perhaps for some people they do; in my case,
>> not. At any rate, they accept credit and debit cards using the same
>> machines as any other food store so I'd imagine they have a button
>> for EBT, as well. I simply didn't like the look of the produce. It
>> was much better at the grocery store.

> Jill,
>
> You don't need to explain yourself to me or the rest of the Bozos on
> this bus!
>
> <smootch>

Ahhh, another Firesign fan! I think we're all bozos on this bus <G>

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

>> You don't need to explain yourself to me or the rest of the Bozos on
>> this bus!
>> <smootch>

> Ahhh, another Firesign fan! I think we're all bozos on this bus <G>

Hell, I had so much bourbon that I forgot to get off the bus at Amsterdam.
When will we pass there again?
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KevinS wrote:
> On Aug 8, 10:07?am, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> The Ripley, TN tomatoes are now at the height of
>> their season. Big, juicy, vine ripened tomatoes, 78
>> cents/lb.

> $0.78 per pound! The best price I've seen for field
> ripened tomatoes has been $2.00 in some farmers
> markets - $3.00 for heirlooms. I'm not that crazy
> about the heirlooms. I like the colors and irregular
> shapes but some of them don't seem to have much
> flavor.

Ripley is less than 60 miles away from where I live. Well known (heh, only
known! I guess) for their tomatoes. These suckers were big, ripe and juicy!
They made for a very nice sauce. Now I have to get some containers to
freeze leftovers in

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

www.cntradecity.com
hello:
we supply the following products:
1). Famous brand sport shoes series:NIKE jordan1-22/AF1/Air max/Air
shox
2).jerseys/hoodies/t-shirts/shirts/jean...
3). Famous brand handbag,cap,sunglasses,belt,wallet,sock...
We hope to have the opportunity to work together with you in the
future.
E-mail:
Website:
www.cntradecity.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:17:37 -0400, Dan <intrceptor@gmaildotcom>
> wrote:
>
>>> The Ripley, TN tomatoes are now at the height

> And you haven't lived until you have had East Tennessee Grainger
> County tomatoes. Ripley's taste like California imports in the
> middle of Januray by comparison.

The best tomatoes I have ever had are grown in the anthracite coal
region of PA. Something about the soil conditions makes for extra tasty
tomatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> The best tomatoes I have ever had are grown in the anthracite coal
> region of PA. Something about the soil conditions makes for extra tasty
> tomatoes.

New Jersey grows great tomatoes, I also like the tomatoes from Arkansas
and from the Rio Grande Valley in Texas.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 15:06:12 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
wrote:

>"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> jmcquown said...
>>
>>> The produce hates 100F, I hate shopping in it even more

>> Alas, you are braver than I.
>>
>> Mangi,

>> Andy

>Officially, it is 99F in Winchester, VA. I thought today I'd roast the
>beets, but the a/c would have to work harder.
>
>Then I wondered if I should boil them outside, but boiled beets turn out so
>anaemic.
>It's getting late in the day to ponder too much longer.
>Dee Dee

there must be a recipe for sun-dried beets somewhere.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> there must be a recipe for sun-dried beets somewhere.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Thanks, it's borscht.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Dan is offline

Andy wrote:
> Dan said...
>
>> Let me guess. The farmers market doesn't accept food stamps?
>>
>> I'll leave the 100§F remark alone. That's just dumb.
>>
>> Dan

> Well, ain't you just a ray o' sunshine!
>
> Didn't your parents teach you, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say
> anything?!?
>
> Ya BUM!!!!!!

The truth hurts, huh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Dan is offline

Andy wrote:
> jmcquown said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Dan said...

>>> Well, ain't you just a ray o' sunshine!
>>>
>>> Didn't your parents teach you, if you have nothing nice to say, don't
>>> say anything?!?
>>>
>>> Ya BUM!!!!!!

>> I love the way people just assume food stamp benefits go on and on and

> on,
>> in perpetuity. Perhaps for some people they do; in my case, not. At any
>> rate, they accept credit and debit cards using the same machines as any
>> other food store so I'd imagine they have a button for EBT, as well. I
>> simply didn't like the look of the produce. It was much better at the
>> grocery store.

> Jill,
>
> You don't need to explain yourself to me or the rest of the Bozos on this
> bus!
>
> <smootch>

True. No explanation was required.