Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Some tips

What is the simplest way to ice and decorate a cake that makes it look
as
good as bought in a shop ?

I have made the cake from scratch, and its turned out quiet good.
Now I need to ice it.
So do you have a fail proof way of icing the cake and making it look
good ?
Or do you know of something else that I can use as icing to mould onto
or
around a cake ?
What are some do's and don't with icing and decorating cakes ?

TIA
Nic

Most cake shops use something called Fondant. It is really nothing
like icing but that is what gives the effect of smoothness. Using
buttercream icing is great. But Royal Icing will last longer even for
years if kept in the right spot and right temperature! Once you have
baked the cake and let it cool down you need to saw off the top. Then
you need to put on a crumb coating. For a crumb coating you take the
buttercream and make it really runny. Then you apply a VERY thin coat.
Once it has dried you will then ice you real coat. The crumb coating
allows the crumbs to get trapped that way they don't show up on your
final product. It is really a simple way to do things. I am a
advanced cake decorator and have my own Google Group Cake Decorating.
Go ahead and get on it. Another quick thing to say is buy several
different types of metal spatulas. Bent, straight, small, medium, and
extra large! Let me know if you have questions about dying the
frosting or decorating the cake. remember it is Cake Decorating!

ThoughtPoster