Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dumb question - can I disconnect propane tank from my Weber grill?

Hi,

Ok, this is probably a dump question. I just got a portable Weber gas grill
which uses a mini 14.1 oz propane tank. I've never used these mini propane
tanks before. I know with the big 20 lb tanks you can connect and
disconnect them all you want. But can I disconnect these mini-propane tanks
before you've used them up?

I didn't look closely, but when I screwed the tank into the grill, it looked
there was something on the grill that was going to pierce the top of the
mini-propane tank. Does that mean that I have to use up all the propane
before I can disconnect it? I'm hoping that I can connect and disconnect it
as I please. It's a portable grill and I have a duffel bag for it, but the
propane tank sticks out a bit, so I wouldn't want to leave it connected
while transporting it.

I know, dumb question, but I've never used these mini tanks before so I'd
rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks!
Jay

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:

> Hi,
>
> Ok, this is probably a dump question. I just got a portable Weber gas grill
> which uses a mini 14.1 oz propane tank. I've never used these mini propane
> tanks before. I know with the big 20 lb tanks you can connect and
> disconnect them all you want. But can I disconnect these mini-propane tanks
> before you've used them up?
>
> I didn't look closely, but when I screwed the tank into the grill, it looked
> there was something on the grill that was going to pierce the top of the
> mini-propane tank. Does that mean that I have to use up all the propane
> before I can disconnect it? I'm hoping that I can connect and disconnect it
> as I please. It's a portable grill and I have a duffel bag for it, but the
> propane tank sticks out a bit, so I wouldn't want to leave it connected
> while transporting it.
>
> I know, dumb question, but I've never used these mini tanks before so I'd
> rather be safe than sorry.
>
> Thanks!
> Jay

Yes, you can disconnect the disposable cylinders. The item on the grill
that screws into the cylinder pushes the seal down so the propane can
come out. When you remove it, the pressure in the cylinder and the
spring under the seal, seals everything up again
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted,

Thanks! I knew I should have looked at the top of the cylinder before I
screwed it on, but I was so excited to try out the new Weber Q grill that I
didn't. I just unscrewed it and now it's obvious how it works. Thanks for
the help!

Jay

"Ted Campanelli" > wrote in message
> Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so
> great) words of knowledge:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ok, this is probably a dump question. I just got a portable Weber gas
>> grill which uses a mini 14.1 oz propane tank. I've never used these mini
>> propane tanks before. I know with the big 20 lb tanks you can connect
>> and disconnect them all you want. But can I disconnect these
>> mini-propane tanks before you've used them up?
>>
>> I didn't look closely, but when I screwed the tank into the grill, it
>> looked there was something on the grill that was going to pierce the top
>> of the mini-propane tank. Does that mean that I have to use up all the
>> propane before I can disconnect it? I'm hoping that I can connect and
>> disconnect it as I please. It's a portable grill and I have a duffel bag
>> for it, but the propane tank sticks out a bit, so I wouldn't want to
>> leave it connected while transporting it.
>>
>> I know, dumb question, but I've never used these mini tanks before so I'd
>> rather be safe than sorry.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Jay
>>

> Yes, you can disconnect the disposable cylinders. The item on the grill
> that screws into the cylinder pushes the seal down so the propane can come
> out. When you remove it, the pressure in the cylinder and the spring
> under the seal, seals everything up again

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 10:07?pm, "Jay Sullivan"
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ok, this is probably a dump question. I just got a portable Weber gas grill
> which uses a mini 14.1 oz propane tank. I've never used these mini propane
> tanks before. I know with the big 20 lb tanks you can connect and
> disconnect them all you want. But can I disconnect these mini-propane tanks
> before you've used them up?
>
> I didn't look closely, but when I screwed the tank into the grill, it looked
> there was something on the grill that was going to pierce the top of the
> mini-propane tank. Does that mean that I have to use up all the propane
> before I can disconnect it? I'm hoping that I can connect and disconnect it
> as I please. It's a portable grill and I have a duffel bag for it, but the
> propane tank sticks out a bit, so I wouldn't want to leave it connected
> while transporting it.
>
> I know, dumb question, but I've never used these mini tanks before so I'd
> rather be safe than sorry.

Safe is good.

Yes, you can remove the tank the same as you can a burnz-o-matic torch.

Propane tank OPD valve question rjones872 Barbecue 2 23-07-2010 05:04 PM
Weber grill/tank level Harry Barbecue 3 26-08-2009 09:07 AM
Dumb Question (?) - Propane Torches zxcvbob General Cooking 157 24-01-2006 03:59 PM
Gas Grill - Propane tank making funny noise [email protected] Barbecue 2 22-07-2005 02:35 PM
Help With Weber Propane Grill Jim Mitchell Barbecue 3 04-04-2005 12:54 PM