Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kitchenaid mixer vs Food processor

Drew Cutter wrote:

> I'm having a hard time deciding whether to buy a kitchenaid professional
> mixer or a Food processor. Looking at using them for pasta sauce ,
> chopping up vegetable ,etc . Thanks . This posting is not a troll
> message. Just trying to spend money wisely and save storage space.
> Planning on making pizza dough with the mixer.

Personally, I'd go for the KA stand mixer. How hard should I twist your
arm <g>?

I've had a food processor (FP) for decades, and I haven't had it out of
the cabinet/closet for more than five years, at least! The KA is much
more versatile than a FP (IMO). I do, however, use my KA often. I use
its slicer-shredder attachment, and that works fine for what I do
(mostly to shred brick cheeses). I haven't used the meat grinder
attachment yet. The ice cream maker attachment is really nice too

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Drew Cutter wrote:

> I'm leaning toward the mixer. I was not aware of how close i live near
> the factory. Apparently , they give tours and classes.

Speaking of neighbors, I grew up three blocks from the Post Cereals
factory in Battle Creek, Michigan. About less than a mile away, I'd
say, on the same set of Grand Trunk tracks was Kellogg's. With the
right breeze, our neiborhood smelled like breakfast.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Drew Cutter wrote:
>> I'm having a hard time deciding whether to buy a kitchenaid professional
>> mixer or a Food processor. Looking at using them for pasta sauce ,
>> chopping up vegetable ,etc . Thanks . This posting is not a troll
>> message. Just trying to spend money wisely and save storage space.
>> Planning on making pizza dough with the mixer.

If you do a lot of baking, the mixer would probably serve you better.
Mine is on my counter all the time and gets a lot of use, but I bake a
lot. The food processor does get taken out and used a few times a year,
but if I didn't have it, I wouldn't miss it as much as my mixer. Though
it can be a great convenience.

--
Caryn
Caryn Nadelberg - Mommy to Sam and Queen of the May
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 6, 1:18 pm, Drew Cutter > wrote:
> Skyhooks wrote:
> > Drew Cutter wrote:
> >> I'm having a hard time deciding whether to buy a kitchenaid professional
> >> mixer or a Food processor. Looking at using them for pasta sauce ,
> >> chopping up vegetable ,etc . Thanks . This posting is not a troll
> >> message. Just trying to spend money wisely and save storage space.
> >> Planning on making pizza dough with the mixer.

> > Personally, I'd go for the KA stand mixer. How hard should I twist your
> > arm <g>?

> > I've had a food processor (FP) for decades, and I haven't had it out of
> > the cabinet/closet for more than five years, at least! The KA is much
> > more versatile than a FP (IMO). I do, however, use my KA often. I use
> > its slicer-shredder attachment, and that works fine for what I do
> > (mostly to shred brick cheeses). I haven't used the meat grinder
> > attachment yet. The ice cream maker attachment is really nice too

> > Sky

> I'm leaning toward the mixer. I was not aware of how close i live near
> the factory. Apparently , they give tours and classes.

Plus, you can buy the attachments you need to make your KA act like a
food processor, for the most part, more easily than you can get your
FP to act like a mixer. Dough is better made in a mixer with a dough
hook, and so are things like cookies and cakes.

I use the shredder/slicer and grinder attachments for my KA a lot
more often than I get my FP out of the cupboard. The only thing I
really like the FP better for, is making fresh bread crumbs. There's
nothing like an FP for that.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> The only thing I really like the FP better for, is making fresh bread crumbs. *
> There's nothing like an FP for that.

Nope. Meat grinder... produces the most *consistant* texture bread
crumbs, or whatever... everything passes through but once, everything
is processed equally. For fresh bread cumbs I find the 3/8" hole
plate works perfectly. With a food processor you end up with all
different sized bits, and any attempt to even it out will eventually
produce all dust.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7 wrote:

> Dough is better made in a mixer with a dough hook.

Actually with a dough hook is the most micky mouse way to knead
dough. Lots of commercial bakeries use the dough hook with a stand
mixer because they don't make enough dough to warrant the cost or just
can't afford a real dough kneading machine, one that most emulates
hand kneading... nothing can knead dough better than the human hand.
For the quantity of dough a 5-6 quart bowl toys r us mixer can handle
it just doesn't warrant spending all that money unless you have
crippled hands... and even than there are real dough kneading machines
sized for home use, and are well worth the money for those who bake
bread often. The vast majority of 5-6 quart stand mixers just sit on
the kitchen counter for show and rarely get used for anything... for
most things needing mixing a wooden spoon or hand wire whip is what's
used 95% of the time, the rest of the time a hand mixer is best.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 2:44 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> On May 7 wrote:
>
> > Dough is better made in a mixer with a dough hook.

> Actually with a dough hook is the most micky mouse way to knead
> dough. Lots of commercial bakeries use the dough hook with a stand
> mixer because they don't make enough dough to warrant the cost or just
> can't afford a real dough kneading machine, one that most emulates
> hand kneading... nothing can knead dough better than the human hand.
> For the quantity of dough a 5-6 quart bowl toys r us mixer can handle
> it just doesn't warrant spending all that money unless you have
> crippled hands... and even than there are real dough kneading machines
> sized for home use, and are well worth the money for those who bake
> bread often. The vast majority of 5-6 quart stand mixers just sit on
> the kitchen counter for show and rarely get used for anything... for
> most things needing mixing a wooden spoon or hand wire whip is what's
> used 95% of the time, the rest of the time a hand mixer is best.
>
> Sheldon

I was comparing a mixer with dough hook to trying to make dough
(including the kneading) in a food processor.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 1:15 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
> > The only thing I really like the FP better for, is making fresh bread crumbs. ?
> > There's nothing like an FP for that.

> Nope. Meat grinder... produces the most *consistant* texture bread
> crumbs, or whatever... everything passes through but once, everything
> is processed equally. For fresh bread cumbs I find the 3/8" hole
> plate works perfectly. With a food processor you end up with all
> different sized bits, and any attempt to even it out will eventually
> produce all dust.
>
> Sheldon

I've never had any problems with my FP and fresh crumbs. I'd think a
meat grinder plate would compress the bread....in any event, I don't
make huge batches, and putting a couple pieces of bread in the FP at a
time seems to work great.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 4:00�pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On May 7, 2:44 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
>

> > On May 7 wrote:

> > > Dough is better made in a mixer with a dough hook.

> > Actually with a dough hook is the most micky mouse way to knead
> > dough. *Lots of commercial bakeries use the dough hook with a stand
> > mixer because they don't make enough dough to warrant the cost or just
> > can't afford a real dough kneading machine, one that most emulates
> > hand kneading... nothing can knead dough better than the human hand.
> > For the quantity of dough a 5-6 quart bowl toys r us mixer can handle
> > it just doesn't warrant spending all that money unless you have
> > crippled hands... and even than there are real dough kneading machines
> > sized for home use, and are well worth the money for those who bake
> > bread often. *The vast majority of 5-6 quart stand mixers just sit on
> > the kitchen counter for show and rarely get used for anything... for
> > most things needing mixing a wooden spoon or hand wire whip is what's
> > used 95% of the time, the rest of the time a hand mixer is best.

> > Sheldon

> I was comparing a mixer with dough hook to trying to make dough
> (including the kneading) in a food processor.

A food processor operates much too fast to produce good dough, it gets
by is all, satisfies those who get by with taste in ass disease.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 4:01�pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On May 7, 1:15 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
>
> > Nancy2 *wrote:

> > > The only thing I really like the FP better for, is making fresh bread crumbs. ?
> > > There's nothing like an FP for that.

> > Nope. *Meat grinder... *produces the most *consistant* texture bread
> > crumbs, or whatever... everything passes through but once, everything
> > is processed equally. *For fresh bread cumbs I find the 3/8" hole
> > plate works perfectly. *With a food processor you end up with all
> > different sized bits, and any attempt to even it out will eventually
> > produce all dust.

> > Sheldon

> I'd think a meat grinder plate would compress the bread.

So what, it springs right back, in seconds.

> I don't make huge batches, and putting a couple pieces of bread in the FP seems to work great.

Then why dirty a machine, for a couple three slices just rip em up
with your fingers.

Sheldon