Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kitchenaid mixer vs Food processor

"Drew Cutter" > wrote in message
> I'm having a hard time deciding whether to buy a kitchenaid professional
> mixer or a Food processor. Looking at using them for pasta sauce ,
> chopping up vegetable ,etc . Thanks . This posting is not a troll message.
> Just trying to spend money wisely and save storage space. Planning on
> making pizza dough with the mixer.

Depends or your persona needs. The mixer is good for baking, some of the
attachments work well, like the pasta, puree large amounts of tomatoes, meat
grinder. but a food processor is good for making nut butters and I like the
way it chops cabbage for cole slaw. Other than that, a sharp chef's knife is
actually faster and easier than using the processor.

In our house, the mixer gets used 4x more than the fp. And we can really
live without either so think about using that money for a good knife if you
don't have one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 May 2007 02:17:23 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Drew Cutter" > wrote in message
>> I'm having a hard time deciding whether to buy a kitchenaid professional
>> mixer or a Food processor. Looking at using them for pasta sauce ,
>> chopping up vegetable ,etc . Thanks . This posting is not a troll message.
>> Just trying to spend money wisely and save storage space. Planning on
>> making pizza dough with the mixer.

>Depends or your persona needs. The mixer is good for baking, some of the
>attachments work well, like the pasta, puree large amounts of tomatoes, meat
>grinder. but a food processor is good for making nut butters and I like the
>way it chops cabbage for cole slaw. Other than that, a sharp chef's knife is
>actually faster and easier than using the processor.
>
>In our house, the mixer gets used 4x more than the fp. And we can really
>live without either so think about using that money for a good knife if you
>don't have one.

I use the food processor quite a bit. I'm not very fast with a knife.
I do have good knives but don't have the dexterity or interest in
doing the chop!chop!chop! thing. I have a 3-cup fp that gets used
enough to warrant a permanent place on my kichen counter.

I also have a KitchenAid Artisan mixer which I like a lot. I resisted
buying a heavy duty stand mixer until I got into cookies. The dough
for many recipes is too stiff for me to mix sufficiently. But for
many other things, the hand mixer is indeed as good or better. I also
have a couple of attachments for the KitchenAid: grain mill and food
grinder.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Drew Cutter wrote:

> Is the grain mill for converting your garden herbs to be used in daily
> cooking ? - instead of buy a coffee grinder for crushing your herbs.
> Would the group recommend buying a smaller food processor instead ? But
> the problem is cooking for a larger group of people from time to time.
> Looks like I'm now leaning to buying both , but getting a smaller food
> processor

A chefs knife will make quick work of a lot of herbs in very little
time, and will do a nicer job than a food processor unless what you
want is puree, and then a mortar and pestle works better, but a
blender will do a nice job pureeing any herbs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Drew Cutter wrote on 07 May 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Curly Sue wrote:
> > On Mon, 07 May 2007 02:17:23 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> > wrote:

> >> Depends or your persona needs. The mixer is good for baking, some
> >> of the attachments work well, like the pasta, puree large amounts
> >> of tomatoes, meat grinder. but a food processor is good for making
> >> nut butters and I like the way it chops cabbage for cole slaw.
> >> Other than that, a sharp chef's knife is actually faster and easier
> >> than using the processor.
> >>
> >> In our house, the mixer gets used 4x more than the fp. And we can
> >> really live without either so think about using that money for a
> >> good knife if you don't have one.
> >>

> > I use the food processor quite a bit. I'm not very fast with a
> > knife. I do have good knives but don't have the dexterity or
> > interest in doing the chop!chop!chop! thing. I have a 3-cup fp that
> > gets used enough to warrant a permanent place on my kichen counter.
> >
> > I also have a KitchenAid Artisan mixer which I like a lot. I
> > resisted buying a heavy duty stand mixer until I got into cookies.
> > The dough for many recipes is too stiff for me to mix sufficiently.
> > But for many other things, the hand mixer is indeed as good or
> > better. I also have a couple of attachments for the KitchenAid:
> > grain mill and food grinder.
> >
> > Sue(tm)
> > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> Is the grain mill for converting your garden herbs to be used in daily
> cooking ? - instead of buy a coffee grinder for crushing your herbs.
> Would the group recommend buying a smaller food processor instead ?
> But the problem is cooking for a larger group of people from time to
> time. Looks like I'm now leaning to buying both , but getting a
> smaller food processor.

For small processing jobs I recommend a stick/wand blender...Some models
come with a chopper and other attachments...they start at a reasonable
price and take up very little room. You can whip cream, unlump gravy,
puree soups, make mayo, chop garlic etc and they clean up easy. I used
mine just the other day to puree a pot of beans for soup right in the pot
they cooked in so way less mess and clean up. With a stick blender you
don't need to do the drizzle in the oil step required in a FP or Blender
as they spin so fast immulsion occurs anyway.

I rarely bake so no stand mixer for me...I do have a large kitchen aid
blender and a seperate Food Processor. These are used sporatically as
living alone I rarely cook large enough to require their use except for
holiday family feasts and coleslaw.

I find my KA FP a PIA to clean requiring way too much dishwasher space;
all those cracks and creavaces make hand washing it is too much of a
chore.

They do say though, if the FP has a spot on the counter it will be used
more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 12:56 am, (Curly Sue) wrote:

> I use the food processor quite a bit. I'm not very fast with a knife.
> I do have good knives but don't have the dexterity or interest in
> doing the chop!chop!chop! thing.

I'm not the fastest with my knife, but I'm not big on that
whole "wash!wash!wash!" thing that comes with food processor
usage.

BillB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 10:50�am, Squidly > wrote:
> On May 7, 12:56 am, (Curly Sue) wrote:
>
> > I use the food processor quite a bit. *I'm not very fast with a knife.
> > I do have good knives but don't have the dexterity or interest in
> > doing the chop!chop!chop! thing.

> I'm not the fastest with my knife, but I'm not big on that
> whole "wash!wash!wash!" thing that comes with food processor
> usage.

And you still gotta prep stuff... if I'm gonna slice a bunch of
carrots I still gotta trim and pare by hand, and since I have the
knife and board out and all stained orange anyway how big a deal is it
to just slice away... I typically slice carrots lined up three at a
time, a dozen carrots are sliced in less than four minutes... I'm all
done and have neat pretty slices and all cleaned up and your processor
is stll struggling making sloppily hacked up carrot pieces on only
carrot number two. And damn, if you need dice yer screwed... yeah,
you can slice your carrots into strips (by HAND), but from what I've
seen the best a processor can do at dicing is no better than coarse
sloppy shreding, a combp of big bits, small bits, and pulverized
mush... not very appetizing and definitely not dice. Starting right
from the line I can out shred cabbage faster and neater with my deadly
sharp 12" carbon steel chefs knife than any home type processor can...
by the time you have your head sectioned into small wedges to fit yer
silly little tube, and cored (what makes em fall apart) I'm aready 3/4
the way done... I don't need to wedge or core, I don't even bother to
slice the head in half... just shred the first inch off the very top
of that head and then flip onto the flat and shred around the core.
And I end up with nice whole cores to trim away the bitter outsides
and enjoy the cook's treat sweet middles. Unless someone is actually
physically handicapped the food processor is about the stupidest
gadget a kitchen can have. Whenever I'm in someone's home and see a
processor displayed out on the counter I know two things, they are a
snob who can't cook or they''re physically handicapped.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> physically handicapped the food processor is about the stupidest
> gadget a kitchen can have. Whenever I'm in someone's home and see a
> processor displayed out on the counter I know two things, they are a
> snob who can't cook or they''re physically handicapped.
>
> Sheldon

All those chefs on the TeeVee must fit into one of your two
categories, then, since most of them have been seen to use a food
processor now and then. LOL.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 4:04�pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> > physically handicapped the food processor is about the stupidest
> > gadget a kitchen can have. *Whenever I'm in someone's home and see a
> > processor displayed out on the counter I know two things, they are a
> > snob who can't cook or they''re physically handicapped.

> > Sheldon

> All those chefs on the TeeVee must fit into one of your two
> categories, then, since most of them have been seen to use a food
> processor now and then. *LOL.

Some can but most can't cook, most are not chefs, not even good enough
cooks to flip burgers, they're foodtv personalities. ie. actors. The
food is prepped and cooked beforehand by others who do know how to
prepare food... if you watch carefully it's all slight of hand... you
mean you never saw those fakes put a mess in the fridge or oven and
then after the commercial pull out a beauty. It's a half hour show,
heavily edited, no one can prepare all that food begining to end in a
half hour... foodtv is fake. Anyway, they show all that equipment on
the show because those are the sponsors... they care about selling
pricey food related products far more than they care about teaching
the audience how to cook.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 May 2007 11:03:32 +0000 (UTC), Drew Cutter
> wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>>
>> I use the food processor quite a bit. I'm not very fast with a knife.
>> I do have good knives but don't have the dexterity or interest in
>> doing the chop!chop!chop! thing. I have a 3-cup fp that gets used
>> enough to warrant a permanent place on my kichen counter.
>>
>> I also have a KitchenAid Artisan mixer which I like a lot. I resisted
>> buying a heavy duty stand mixer until I got into cookies. The dough
>> for many recipes is too stiff for me to mix sufficiently. But for
>> many other things, the hand mixer is indeed as good or better. I also
>> have a couple of attachments for the KitchenAid: grain mill and food
>> grinder.
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

>Is the grain mill for converting your garden herbs to be used in daily
>cooking ?

No, it's for grain like wheat, oats, rice, barley.

- instead of buy a coffee grinder for crushing your herbs.
>Would the group recommend buying a smaller food processor instead ? But
>the problem is cooking for a larger group of people from time to time.
>Looks like I'm now leaning to buying both , but getting a smaller food
>processor.

Keep in mind that the stand mixer is heavy and large. I keep mine out
on the counter all the time because I can't move it (or store it).

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 May 2007 07:50:37 -0700, Squidly > wrote:

>On May 7, 12:56 am, (Curly Sue) wrote:
>
>> I use the food processor quite a bit. I'm not very fast with a knife.
>> I do have good knives but don't have the dexterity or interest in
>> doing the chop!chop!chop! thing.

>I'm not the fastest with my knife, but I'm not big on that
>whole "wash!wash!wash!" thing that comes with food processor
>usage.

That's why God made dishwashers! My kitchen is very small. I do most
of my food prep in a space 2'x2'. The food processor is kept out all
the time against the wall in that space, right above the dishwasher.
So I use the FP, open the DW door and put the FP bowl, blade, lid
right on the top rack.

Here is a tasty recipe that by itself justifies the FP. The
asterisks indicate the items that I chop with the FP (rather than
shred or dice), one after the other. No cleaning in between.

Impossibly Easy Chicken (or Ham) 'n Broccoli Pie (from Betty Crocker
website)

1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained (or
chopped spinach)
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (6 ounces)*
1 cup cut-up cooked chicken or ham*
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup) *
1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs

1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Grease 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle broccoli, 1

cup of the cheese, the chicken and onion in pie plate.
2. Stir Bisquick mix, milk, salt, pepper and eggs until blended.
Pour into pie plate.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out

clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 1 to 2 minutes longer or
just until cheese is melted. Cool

Sue(tm)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue > wrote:

>>> I use the food processor quite a bit. I'm not very fast with a knife.
>>> I do have good knives but don't have the dexterity or interest in
>>> doing the chop!chop!chop! thing.

>>I'm not the fastest with my knife, but I'm not big on that
>>whole "wash!wash!wash!" thing that comes with food processor
>>usage.

>That's why God made dishwashers! My kitchen is very small.

It can't be that small if you can fit something as large
and nonessential as a dishwasher into it. My kitchen is 8'
by 12' and I really don't see how we could fit a dishwasher
into it. That's enough room for fridge, stove, sink, minimal
cabinet space and a minimal amount of working surfaces.

It's a good kitchen and I like it but there's not infinite room.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 May 2007 23:05:28 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
Pope) wrote:

>>>I'm not the fastest with my knife, but I'm not big on that
>>>whole "wash!wash!wash!" thing that comes with food processor
>>>usage.

>>That's why God made dishwashers! My kitchen is very small.

>It can't be that small if you can fit something as large
>and nonessential as a dishwasher into it. My kitchen is 8'
>by 12' and I really don't see how we could fit a dishwasher
>into it. That's enough room for fridge, stove, sink, minimal
>cabinet space and a minimal amount of working surfaces.
>
>It's a good kitchen and I like it but there's not infinite room.

My kitchen is 8.5'x9.5', wall to wall. With two doorways a small
window and a picture window taking up wall space. Where there's a
will, there's a way! The dishwasher is a great asset in a kitchen as
small as that because the dirty dishes have a place to go, and I don't
need a drying rack.

Anyway, the DW goes underneath the counter. What saves me as a cook
is that I have a basement where I can store some stuff.

I like my small kitchen too. The only thing I'd want is a pantry
nearby, at least on the same floor.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 7:03 am, Drew Cutter > wrote:

> Looks like I'm now leaning to buying both , but getting a smaller food
> processor.- Hide quoted text -

I had two different mini Cuisinart food processors. Some people love
them. I discarded mine (Salvation Army). Think twice.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 6:27 pm, (Curly Sue) wrote:
> On Mon, 7 May 2007 11:03:32 +0000 (UTC), Drew Cutter
>

> > wrote:
> >Curly Sue wrote:

> >> I use the food processor quite a bit. I'm not very fast with a knife.
> >> I do have good knives but don't have the dexterity or interest in
> >> doing the chop!chop!chop! thing. I have a 3-cup fp that gets used
> >> enough to warrant a permanent place on my kichen counter.

> >> I also have a KitchenAid Artisan mixer which I like a lot. I resisted
> >> buying a heavy duty stand mixer until I got into cookies. The dough
> >> for many recipes is too stiff for me to mix sufficiently. But for
> >> many other things, the hand mixer is indeed as good or better. I also
> >> have a couple of attachments for the KitchenAid: grain mill and food
> >> grinder.

> >> Sue(tm)
> >> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> >Is the grain mill for converting your garden herbs to be used in daily
> >cooking ?

> No, it's for grain like wheat, oats, rice, barley.
>
> - instead of buy a coffee grinder for crushing your herbs.
>
> >Would the group recommend buying a smaller food processor instead ? But
> >the problem is cooking for a larger group of people from time to time.
> >Looks like I'm now leaning to buying both , but getting a smaller food
> >processor.

> Keep in mind that the stand mixer is heavy and large. I keep mine out
> on the counter all the time because I can't move it (or store it).

.... I can find it myself!- Hide quoted text -

I cannot move my mixer either. DH has to move it to counter tops each
time I use it. But KA food processor is easy enough for me to move to
the counter top for use.

I would keep it on the counter top all the time if I didn't have
toaster, tea pot, dish rack, knife block, microwave, breadboard, etc.
etc. I think I'll clear out the 3 bowls of spatulas, whisks, etc. off
the counter tops - PITA.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 10:50 am, Squidly > wrote:
> On May 7, 12:56 am, (Curly Sue) wrote:
>
> > I use the food processor quite a bit. I'm not very fast with a knife.
> > I do have good knives but don't have the dexterity or interest in
> > doing the chop!chop!chop! thing.

> I'm not the fastest with my knife, but I'm not big on that
> whole "wash!wash!wash!" thing that comes with food processor
> usage.
>
> BillB

Lots of people DO put their food processor bowls and tops in the
dishwasher (I'm not one of them.) It takes forever for the food
processor bowl/top to dry.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 4:04 pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> > physically handicapped the food processor is about the stupidest
> > gadget a kitchen can have. Whenever I'm in someone's home and see a
> > processor displayed out on the counter I know two things, they are a
> > snob who can't cook or they''re physically handicapped.

> > Sheldon

> All those chefs on the TeeVee must fit into one of your two
> categories, then, since most of them have been seen to use a food
> processor now and then. LOL.
>
> N.

I don't see limiting oneself to either/or if one has the money to buy
them or finds use for them. One doesn't buy kitchen gear because they
can't handle a knife. Lots of people know how to handle a knife and
they own these things. Good Lord!
D.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message >
> Lots of people DO put their food processor bowls and tops in the
> dishwasher (I'm not one of them.) It takes forever for the food
> processor bowl/top to dry.

I never use any of the attachments on my FP - so the flat cover works
better, takes up less room in the dishwasher, and washes and dries easily
along with everything else. When the rinse cycle ends, I usually open the
door and dump out any residual water from any items that tend to hold it,
and then let things air dry.

Like Melondy, I find the best uses for the FP are various odd chores that
involve whirling things up - crumbs, sugars, chopping up cheese, nuts and
such. Plus it's a fast easy way to make a good crust for a pie or quiche.
For all those chores, the best size for me is a 7 cup. For bread baking,
there are a lot bread lovers who use a FP to make excellent bread. But it
won't do a large quantity, nor will it work well with stiff doughs like
whole grain. But it's a very easy and fast method. I like it for an easy
one pizza dough.

For ordinary cutting, and slicing though, I think a very sharp knife is
usually still the best tool. For larger quantities, a mandolin might be
the next step up.

But if quantities of cookies, cakes, breads, and such are your thing, then a
stand mixer might be worth its cost and space. Lots of home bakers love
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 11:45 pm, "anon" > wrote:
> "Dee Dee" > wrote in message >
> > Lots of people DO put their food processor bowls and tops in the
> > dishwasher (I'm not one of them.) It takes forever for the food
> > processor bowl/top to dry.

> I never use any of the attachments on my FP - so the flat cover works
> better, takes up less room in the dishwasher, and washes and dries easily
> along with everything else. When the rinse cycle ends, I usually open the
> door and dump out any residual water from any items that tend to hold it,
> and then let things air dry.

I feel that my dishwasher was too hot for a couple of Cuisinart FP
bowls in the past. The lid became too tight and the bowl wouldn't
latch on the bottom. One of the bowls chipped where it latched.
Another bowl chipped and was unusable. Sometimes my dishwasher(s) in
the past have heated water if it is not hot enough; this could have
been a factor. But since I have a KitchenAid FP which I am VERY fond
of, I do wash it by hand. I would really like to have one more larger
bowl and top, but since there are two other bowls that come with it, I
feel that this is probably silly to buy another set, but probably not,
in case I have a problem in the future with a large bowl, I would have
one on hand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message > I feel that my
dishwasher was too hot for a couple of Cuisinart FP
> bowls in the past. The lid became too tight and the bowl wouldn't
> latch on the bottom. One of the bowls chipped where it latched.
> Another bowl chipped and was unusable. Sometimes my dishwasher(s) in
> the past have heated water if it is not hot enough; this could have
> been a factor. But since I have a KitchenAid FP which I am VERY fond
> of, I do wash it by hand. I would really like to have one more larger
> bowl and top, but since there are two other bowls that come with it, I
> feel that this is probably silly to buy another set, but probably not,
> in case I have a problem in the future with a large bowl, I would have
> one on hand.

-----------
It seems that many people are reporting greater satisfaction with new
KitchenAid products then with new Cuisinart ones!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 10:23 pm, Dee Dee > wrote:
> On May 7, 10:50 am, Squidly > wrote:
>
> > I'm not the fastest with my knife, but I'm not big on that
> > whole "wash!wash!wash!" thing that comes with food processor
> > usage.

> Lots of people DO put their food processor bowls and tops in the
> dishwasher (I'm not one of them.) It takes forever for the food
> processor bowl/top to dry.

I of course own a food processor, a couple of blenders,
and I'll even bring it out from time to time if I need to roll
through a ton of dicing and don't have a lot of time or the
task calls for it (liquify, anyone?)

And yeah, I use my dishwasher to clean it, (although the base
often gets gunked up and that's tedious to clean as you
can exactly immerse the thing.)

I'm not an evangalist for or against them. I guess my take is
use whatever tools, shortcuts, crutches, etc you want, just
get in there and cook.

BillB
http://squidly.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
EZ EZ is offline

Dee Dee wrote:

> I don't see limiting oneself to either/or if one has the money to buy
> them or finds use for them. One doesn't buy kitchen gear because they
> can't handle a knife. Lots of people know how to handle a knife and
> they own these things. Good Lord!

I have them both, and although I don't use either one every day, when I need
them, I NEED THEM! Preparing food for two doesn't often require their use,
but when we cook for a housefull of guests, I don't know how I'd manage
without them.

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"