Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.food.cooking
CND CND is offline

Default Pancake Recipe

Hi folks,

I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:

2 cups of flour
5 tsps of baking powder
4 tbsps Sugan
1 tsp salt
2 cups of milk
1/2 cup of oil
2 eggs

The recipe asks to mix the first four ingredients in a bag and then
put that mix into a bowl and add the rest of the liquid ingredients
folding them into a lumpy batter. The recipe also suggests putting the
mix in the refrigerator for five minutes before actually start making
the pancakes.

By doing this, I consistently get flat pancakes. I've tried
everything: sifting the flour, using half whole wheat flower and half
all-purpose flower, whisking the egg-whites to a fluff after
separating them from the egg yolks, adding more baking powder, adding
baking soda (didn't care for the metallic after taste).

What does the 1/2 cup of oil has with this recipe?

Here in Spain, it costs almost 6 Euros (around $7.80) to get a
commercial pancake mix. The one on sale here is of the "only-add-
water" type which I always have disliked.

I don't put anything on my pancakes except butter and real maple syrup
(expensive also) because I like the taste of the mix and don't want to
hide with other toppings or flavorings.

Thanks for any advice,

César,
Denia, Spain