Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pancake Recipe

CND wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
> can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
> favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
> don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:
>
> 2 cups of flour
> 5 tsps of baking powder
> 4 tbsps Sugan
> 1 tsp salt
> 2 cups of milk
> 1/2 cup of oil
> 2 eggs
>
> The recipe asks to mix the first four ingredients in a bag and then
> put that mix into a bowl and add the rest of the liquid ingredients
> folding them into a lumpy batter. The recipe also suggests putting the
> mix in the refrigerator for five minutes before actually start making
> the pancakes.
>
> By doing this, I consistently get flat pancakes. I've tried
> everything: sifting the flour, using half whole wheat flower and half
> all-purpose flower, whisking the egg-whites to a fluff after
> separating them from the egg yolks, adding more baking powder, adding
> baking soda (didn't care for the metallic after taste).
>
> What does the 1/2 cup of oil has with this recipe?
>
> Here in Spain, it costs almost 6 Euros (around $7.80) to get a
> commercial pancake mix. The one on sale here is of the "only-add-
> water" type which I always have disliked.
>
> I don't put anything on my pancakes except butter and real maple syrup
> (expensive also) because I like the taste of the mix and don't want to
> hide with other toppings or flavorings.
>
> Thanks for any advice,

Pancake mixes are a pet peeve of mine. Most of them require that you add
milk, eggs and oil, the expensive ingredients, while the mix is just the
keep ingredients, all inexpensive kitchen staples. They always seem to have
a weird taste.

If you want to give your pancakes a boost, cut back the baking powder and
use baking soda, then replace the milk with buttermilk. If you don't have
buttermilk, use one or two spoons of vinegar and milk to the volume of milk
in the recipe.