Posted to rec.food.cooking
CND CND is offline

Default Pancake Recipe

Hi folks,

I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:

2 cups of flour
5 tsps of baking powder
4 tbsps Sugan
1 tsp salt
2 cups of milk
1/2 cup of oil
2 eggs

The recipe asks to mix the first four ingredients in a bag and then
put that mix into a bowl and add the rest of the liquid ingredients
folding them into a lumpy batter. The recipe also suggests putting the
mix in the refrigerator for five minutes before actually start making
the pancakes.

By doing this, I consistently get flat pancakes. I've tried
everything: sifting the flour, using half whole wheat flower and half
all-purpose flower, whisking the egg-whites to a fluff after
separating them from the egg yolks, adding more baking powder, adding
baking soda (didn't care for the metallic after taste).

What does the 1/2 cup of oil has with this recipe?

Here in Spain, it costs almost 6 Euros (around $7.80) to get a
commercial pancake mix. The one on sale here is of the "only-add-
water" type which I always have disliked.

I don't put anything on my pancakes except butter and real maple syrup
(expensive also) because I like the taste of the mix and don't want to
hide with other toppings or flavorings.

Thanks for any advice,

César,
Denia, Spain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 May 2007 00:37:38 -0700, CND > wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
>can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
>favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
>don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:

Here is the link to Alton Brown's pancake mix recipe.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...ml?rsrc=search

It should turn out well.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
CND > wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
> can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
> favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
> don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:
>
> 2 cups of flour
> 5 tsps of baking powder
> 4 tbsps Sugan
> 1 tsp salt
> 2 cups of milk
> 1/2 cup of oil
> 2 eggs
>
> The recipe asks to mix the first four ingredients in a bag and then
> put that mix into a bowl and add the rest of the liquid ingredients
> folding them into a lumpy batter. The recipe also suggests putting the
> mix in the refrigerator for five minutes before actually start making
> the pancakes.
>
> By doing this, I consistently get flat pancakes. I've tried
> everything: sifting the flour, using half whole wheat flower and half
> all-purpose flower, whisking the egg-whites to a fluff after
> separating them from the egg yolks, adding more baking powder, adding
> baking soda (didn't care for the metallic after taste).
>
> What does the 1/2 cup of oil has with this recipe?
>
> Here in Spain, it costs almost 6 Euros (around $7.80) to get a
> commercial pancake mix. The one on sale here is of the "only-add-
> water" type which I always have disliked.
>
> I don't put anything on my pancakes except butter and real maple syrup
> (expensive also) because I like the taste of the mix and don't want to
> hide with other toppings or flavorings.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> César,
> Denia, Spain

Fat helps make baked goods more tender. That's a lot of fat for that
amount of flour. My recipe uses 2 tablespoons for 1-1/4 cup flour and
one egg and 1-1//4 cups buttermilk. Also, the whole wheat flour could
be keeping things flatter, too.

Can you try making half the recipe (it would divide well) and baking the
pancakes immediately after mixing instead of letting it rest. The
baking powder begins its leavening action when it is mixed and continues
with heat. Just a thought.

Good luck.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article .com>,
> CND > wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
>> can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
>> favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
>> don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:

> Fat helps make baked goods more tender. That's a lot of fat for that
> amount of flour. My recipe uses 2 tablespoons for 1-1/4 cup flour and
> one egg and 1-1//4 cups buttermilk. Also, the whole wheat flour could
> be keeping things flatter, too.
>
> Can you try making half the recipe (it would divide well) and baking the
> pancakes immediately after mixing instead of letting it rest. The
> baking powder begins its leavening action when it is mixed and continues
> with heat. Just a thought.
>
> Good luck.

I agree with no whole wheat flour, and can't remember how much oil, but
that seems a bit much. Also, yes, cookbooks, AIR, say to cook them
quickly. That said, I add more milk because I prefer them flatter. I
actually like them best almost like crepes, very eggy and skinny, with
brown sugar over them then rolled up. Which probably means I have said
nothing of use at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
CND CND is offline

On May 2, 3:07 pm, Giusi > wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article .com>,
> > CND > wrote:

> >> Hi folks,

> >> I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
> >> can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
> >> favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
> >> don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:

> > Fat helps make baked goods more tender. That's a lot of fat for that
> > amount of flour. My recipe uses 2 tablespoons for 1-1/4 cup flour and
> > one egg and 1-1//4 cups buttermilk. Also, the whole wheat flour could
> > be keeping things flatter, too.

> > Can you try making half the recipe (it would divide well) and baking the
> > pancakes immediately after mixing instead of letting it rest. The
> > baking powder begins its leavening action when it is mixed and continues
> > with heat. Just a thought.

> > Good luck.

> I agree with no whole wheat flour, and can't remember how much oil, but
> that seems a bit much. Also, yes, cookbooks, AIR, say to cook them
> quickly. That said, I add more milk because I prefer them flatter. I
> actually like them best almost like crepes, very eggy and skinny, with
> brown sugar over them then rolled up. Which probably means I have said
> nothing of use at all.

You bothered to reply and that's good enough for me.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll take your suggestions into account
and I'll keep on experimenting.

César

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 8:22 am, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>

> CND > wrote:
> > Hi folks,

> > I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
> > can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
> > favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
> > don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:

> > 2 cups of flour
> > 5 tsps of baking powder
> > 4 tbsps Sugan
> > 1 tsp salt
> > 2 cups of milk
> > 1/2 cup of oil
> > 2 eggs

> > The recipe asks to mix the first four ingredients in a bag and then
> > put that mix into a bowl and add the rest of the liquid ingredients
> > folding them into a lumpy batter. The recipe also suggests putting the
> > mix in the refrigerator for five minutes before actually start making
> > the pancakes.

> > By doing this, I consistently get flat pancakes. I've tried
> > everything: sifting the flour, using half whole wheat flower and half
> > all-purpose flower, whisking the egg-whites to a fluff after
> > separating them from the egg yolks, adding more baking powder, adding
> > baking soda (didn't care for the metallic after taste).

> > What does the 1/2 cup of oil has with this recipe?

> > Here in Spain, it costs almost 6 Euros (around $7.80) to get a
> > commercial pancake mix. The one on sale here is of the "only-add-
> > water" type which I always have disliked.

> > I don't put anything on my pancakes except butter and real maple syrup
> > (expensive also) because I like the taste of the mix and don't want to
> > hide with other toppings or flavorings.

> > Thanks for any advice,

> > César,
> > Denia, Spain

> Fat helps make baked goods more tender. That's a lot of fat for that
> amount of flour. My recipe uses 2 tablespoons for 1-1/4 cup flour and
> one egg and 1-1//4 cups buttermilk. Also, the whole wheat flour could
> be keeping things flatter, too.

I never measure any more when making pancakes but I agree, that looks
like way too much oil. Try about a tablespoon at most.

I don't think the whole wheat will have a huge effect but I'd suggest
adding more baking powder just in case and don't put the batter in the
fridge. Baking powder reacts immediately and I don't see any
advantage in leaving the batter standing.

Also, how hot is your pan or griddle? It should not be too hot.(what
ever 'too hot" is)

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"CND" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks,

I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:

2 cups of flour
5 tsps of baking powder
4 tbsps Sugan
1 tsp salt
2 cups of milk
1/2 cup of oil
2 eggs

The recipe asks to mix the first four ingredients in a bag and then
put that mix into a bowl and add the rest of the liquid ingredients
folding them into a lumpy batter. The recipe also suggests putting the
mix in the refrigerator for five minutes before actually start making
the pancakes.

By doing this, I consistently get flat pancakes. Thanks for any advice,

César,
Denia, Spain

The ratio of liquid to dry seems pretty high for thick pancakes. I'd cut
the oil to a quarter cup and cut the milk down to 1 & 1/2 cups.

The mix I use is 1 cup mix to 3/4 cup milk, 2 Tablespoons oil and 1 egg. It
makes nice thick pancakes.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

CND wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
> can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
> favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
> don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:
>
> 2 cups of flour
> 5 tsps of baking powder
> 4 tbsps Sugan
> 1 tsp salt
> 2 cups of milk
> 1/2 cup of oil
> 2 eggs
>
> The recipe asks to mix the first four ingredients in a bag and then
> put that mix into a bowl and add the rest of the liquid ingredients
> folding them into a lumpy batter. The recipe also suggests putting the
> mix in the refrigerator for five minutes before actually start making
> the pancakes.
>
> By doing this, I consistently get flat pancakes. I've tried
> everything: sifting the flour, using half whole wheat flower and half
> all-purpose flower, whisking the egg-whites to a fluff after
> separating them from the egg yolks, adding more baking powder, adding
> baking soda (didn't care for the metallic after taste).
>
> What does the 1/2 cup of oil has with this recipe?
>
> Here in Spain, it costs almost 6 Euros (around $7.80) to get a
> commercial pancake mix. The one on sale here is of the "only-add-
> water" type which I always have disliked.
>
> I don't put anything on my pancakes except butter and real maple syrup
> (expensive also) because I like the taste of the mix and don't want to
> hide with other toppings or flavorings.
>
> Thanks for any advice,

Pancake mixes are a pet peeve of mine. Most of them require that you add
milk, eggs and oil, the expensive ingredients, while the mix is just the
keep ingredients, all inexpensive kitchen staples. They always seem to have
a weird taste.

If you want to give your pancakes a boost, cut back the baking powder and
use baking soda, then replace the milk with buttermilk. If you don't have
buttermilk, use one or two spoons of vinegar and milk to the volume of milk
in the recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-02, CND > wrote:

> commercial pancake mix. The one on sale here is of the "only-add-
> water" type which I always have disliked.

Yeah, they suck. So does the recipe you posted. Way too much baking
powder.

> I don't put anything on my pancakes except butter and real maple syrup

Then why waste good syrup on lousy pancakes? Here's the best advice
you'll ever get on pancakes. USE BUTTERMILK!! That's it. Look for a
recipe that uses baking powder AND baking soda AND BUTTERMILK! The
Alton Brown recipe given elsewhere in this thread should work just
fine. Try it. The results will be immediate and everlasting. You'll
never go back.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Go to the web link below for all Pancake recipes

http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/pancakes.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

CND wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
> can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
> favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
> don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> César,
> Denia, Spain

My husband makes fabulous pancakes. He swears by using buttermilk.

His recipe:
1 Cup all-purpose flour (not whole wheat)
3/4 tsp. baking soda (no more or the pancakes will have a bitter taste)
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt

Mix these well and add:
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg

Gently mix these together, only 6-8 turns of a spoon. No more. Yes,
there will be some lumps but that's okay. Cook on a hot griddle. Turn
when they bubble on top side and get brown on the bottom.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:55:05 -0400, in rec.food.cooking, Dave Smith wrote:

>Pancake mixes are a pet peeve of mine. Most of them require that you add
>milk, eggs and oil, the expensive ingredients, while the mix is just the
>keep ingredients, all inexpensive kitchen staples. They always seem to have
>a weird taste.

Try Krusteaze, you just add water (or beer, or whatever takes your fancy)
and they are delicious.

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Weller wrote:

> On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:55:05 -0400, in rec.food.cooking, Dave Smith wrote:
>

> >Pancake mixes are a pet peeve of mine. Most of them require that you add
> >milk, eggs and oil, the expensive ingredients, while the mix is just the
> >keep ingredients, all inexpensive kitchen staples. They always seem to have
> >a weird taste.

> Try Krusteaze, you just add water (or beer, or whatever takes your fancy)
> and they are delicious.

They may be quite tasty, even though they contain powdered eggs, powdered
milk and who knows what for the fat, but I doubt they compare to pancakes
made from scratch. It takes less time for me to make up a batch of pancake
batter from scratch than it does to heat the pan. From my experience,
there is always a funny taste to pancake mixes.

My SiL gave me a batch of multi grain pancake mix the last time she was
here. It was okay, but still had that odd mix taste. It was not an add
water only mix. I have no idea what she paid for that bag of mix, probably
a lot because it came from a speciality store, but I figured the contents
would be a few pennies worth of flour, sugar, salt and baking powder, maybe
25 cents total.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Doug Weller wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:55:05 -0400, in rec.food.cooking, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Pancake mixes are a pet peeve of mine. Most of them require that you add
>>> milk, eggs and oil, the expensive ingredients, while the mix is just the
>>> keep ingredients, all inexpensive kitchen staples. They always seem to have
>>> a weird taste.

>> Try Krusteaze, you just add water (or beer, or whatever takes your fancy)
>> and they are delicious.

> They may be quite tasty, even though they contain powdered eggs, powdered
> milk and who knows what for the fat, but I doubt they compare to pancakes
> made from scratch. It takes less time for me to make up a batch of pancake
> batter from scratch than it does to heat the pan. From my experience,
> there is always a funny taste to pancake mixes.
>
> My SiL gave me a batch of multi grain pancake mix the last time she was
> here. It was okay, but still had that odd mix taste. It was not an add
> water only mix. I have no idea what she paid for that bag of mix, probably
> a lot because it came from a speciality store, but I figured the contents
> would be a few pennies worth of flour, sugar, salt and baking powder, maybe
> 25 cents total.

I need to cook bacon, sausage, and small pancakes for *50* next Sunday
morning. And maybe scrambled eggs. I will have some help, I think.
I'm trying to decide whether to make the pancakes from scratch or buy a
big bag of Krusteze mix at Sam's. I'll probably just grit my teeth and
buy the mix.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 May 2007 12:28:14 -0400, in rec.food.cooking, Dave Smith wrote:

>Doug Weller wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:55:05 -0400, in rec.food.cooking, Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>> >Pancake mixes are a pet peeve of mine. Most of them require that you add
>> >milk, eggs and oil, the expensive ingredients, while the mix is just the
>> >keep ingredients, all inexpensive kitchen staples. They always seem to have
>> >a weird taste.

>> Try Krusteaze, you just add water (or beer, or whatever takes your fancy)
>> and they are delicious.

>They may be quite tasty, even though they contain powdered eggs, powdered
>milk and who knows what for the fat, but I doubt they compare to pancakes
>made from scratch. It takes less time for me to make up a batch of pancake
>batter from scratch than it does to heat the pan. From my experience,
>there is always a funny taste to pancake mixes.

They are fast and don't require having eggs in the house.

Still, if someone can give me a recipe that tastes the same I'd like to
try it. So far I haven't found one.
Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Weller wrote:

> >> Try Krusteaze, you just add water (or beer, or whatever takes your fancy)
> >> and they are delicious.

> >They may be quite tasty, even though they contain powdered eggs, powdered
> >milk and who knows what for the fat, but I doubt they compare to pancakes
> >made from scratch. It takes less time for me to make up a batch of pancake
> >batter from scratch than it does to heat the pan. From my experience,
> >there is always a funny taste to pancake mixes.
> >

> They are fast and don't require having eggs in the house.

We always have eggs in the house and I would much rather have real
ingredients that something made with powdered eggs, powdered milk and
mystery fats. I had assumed that people posting here were interested in
good food and would have little problem with something more involved that
add water and stir. I can make a batch of pancakes in less than two
minutes, less time than it takes to heat the pan.

> Still, if someone can give me a recipe that tastes the same I'd like to
> try it. So far I haven't found one.

I have yet to taste a pancake mix that does not have that sharp taste of
chemicals something.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 May 2007 09:38:25 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>> >They may be quite tasty, even though they contain powdered eggs, powdered
>> >milk and who knows what for the fat, but I doubt they compare to pancakes
>> >made from scratch. It takes less time for me to make up a batch of pancake
>> >batter from scratch than it does to heat the pan. From my experience,
>> >there is always a funny taste to pancake mixes.
>> >

>> They are fast and don't require having eggs in the house.

>We always have eggs in the house and I would much rather have real
>ingredients that something made with powdered eggs, powdered milk and
>mystery fats. I had assumed that people posting here were interested in
>good food and would have little problem with something more involved that
>add water and stir. I can make a batch of pancakes in less than two
>minutes, less time than it takes to heat the pan.
>
>> Still, if someone can give me a recipe that tastes the same I'd like to
>> try it. So far I haven't found one.

>I have yet to taste a pancake mix that does not have that sharp taste of
>chemicals something.

Whatever chemicals they use in Bisquick, I like. I've made pancakes
from scratch. It's not the time or effort or eggs... I like the
Bisquick pancakes better than any recipe I've tried.

This is like the mayonnaise subject. I've made mayonnaise; it's
quick, it's fast, but I haven't found a recipe I like as well as
Hellman's.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 9:37 am, CND > wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
> can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
> favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
> don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:
>
> 2 cups of flour
> 5 tsps of baking powder
> 4 tbsps Sugan
> 1 tsp salt
> 2 cups of milk
> 1/2 cup of oil
> 2 eggs
>
> The recipe asks to mix the first four ingredients in a bag and then
> put that mix into a bowl and add the rest of the liquid ingredients
> folding them into a lumpy batter. The recipe also suggests putting the
> mix in the refrigerator for five minutes before actually start making
> the pancakes.
>
> By doing this, I consistently get flat pancakes. I've tried
> everything: sifting the flour, using half whole wheat flower and half
> all-purpose flower, whisking the egg-whites to a fluff after
> separating them from the egg yolks, adding more baking powder, adding
> baking soda (didn't care for the metallic after taste).
>
> What does the 1/2 cup of oil has with this recipe?
>
> Here in Spain, it costs almost 6 Euros (around $7.80) to get a
> commercial pancake mix. The one on sale here is of the "only-add-
> water" type which I always have disliked.
>
> I don't put anything on my pancakes except butter and real maple syrup
> (expensive also) because I like the taste of the mix and don't want to
> hide with other toppings or flavorings.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> César,
> Denia, Spain

I absolutley love big Fluffy pancakes. I've sent your recipe to my
uncle who specializes in pancake mixes, he is the best and his
pancakes are mouth watering! I'll ask him for his advice on your
recipe and i will get back to you. Just a suggestion, not sure if it
will work but you could take the egg white and mix it up with the
baking powder. It makes any baking texture light but big & fluffy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On May 2, 9:37 am, CND > wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
>> can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
>> favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
>> don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:
>>
>> 2 cups of flour
>> 5 tsps of baking powder
>> 4 tbsps Sugan
>> 1 tsp salt
>> 2 cups of milk
>> 1/2 cup of oil
>> 2 eggs
>>
>> The recipe asks to mix the first four ingredients in a bag and then
>> put that mix into a bowl and add the rest of the liquid ingredients
>> folding them into a lumpy batter. The recipe also suggests putting the
>> mix in the refrigerator for five minutes before actually start making
>> the pancakes.
>>
>> By doing this, I consistently get flat pancakes. I've tried
>> everything: sifting the flour, using half whole wheat flower and half
>> all-purpose flower, whisking the egg-whites to a fluff after
>> separating them from the egg yolks, adding more baking powder, adding
>> baking soda (didn't care for the metallic after taste).
>>
>> What does the 1/2 cup of oil has with this recipe?
>>
>> Here in Spain, it costs almost 6 Euros (around $7.80) to get a
>> commercial pancake mix. The one on sale here is of the "only-add-
>> water" type which I always have disliked.
>>
>> I don't put anything on my pancakes except butter and real maple syrup
>> (expensive also) because I like the taste of the mix and don't want to
>> hide with other toppings or flavorings.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice,
>>
>> César,
>> Denia, Spain

I never saw the original message. Your recipe has *too much* baking
powder. Reduce it to about 2 tsp. It will also help if you use soured
milk and add 1/2 tsp of baking soda.

Whole wheat flour will make them heavier; you don't want that. Once you
get the recipe worked out, you can add a little toasted wheat germ to
make them interesting.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote on 07 May 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> > On May 2, 9:37 am, CND > wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
> >> can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
> >> favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
> >> don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:
> >>
> >> 2 cups of flour
> >> 5 tsps of baking powder
> >> 4 tbsps Sugan
> >> 1 tsp salt
> >> 2 cups of milk
> >> 1/2 cup of oil
> >> 2 eggs
> >>
> >> The recipe asks to mix the first four ingredients in a bag and then
> >> put that mix into a bowl and add the rest of the liquid ingredients
> >> folding them into a lumpy batter. The recipe also suggests putting

the
> >> mix in the refrigerator for five minutes before actually start making
> >> the pancakes.
> >>
> >> By doing this, I consistently get flat pancakes. I've tried
> >> everything: sifting the flour, using half whole wheat flower and half
> >> all-purpose flower, whisking the egg-whites to a fluff after
> >> separating them from the egg yolks, adding more baking powder, adding
> >> baking soda (didn't care for the metallic after taste).
> >>
> >> What does the 1/2 cup of oil has with this recipe?
> >>
> >> Here in Spain, it costs almost 6 Euros (around $7.80) to get a
> >> commercial pancake mix. The one on sale here is of the "only-add-
> >> water" type which I always have disliked.
> >>
> >> I don't put anything on my pancakes except butter and real maple

syrup
> >> (expensive also) because I like the taste of the mix and don't want

> >> hide with other toppings or flavorings.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any advice,
> >>
> >> César,
> >> Denia, Spain

> I never saw the original message. Your recipe has *too much* baking
> powder. Reduce it to about 2 tsp. It will also help if you use soured
> milk and add 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
>
> Whole wheat flour will make them heavier; you don't want that. Once you
> get the recipe worked out, you can add a little toasted wheat germ to
> make them interesting.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Bob

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pancakes

Recipe By :Elizabeth Powell
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Breads Breakfast

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup melted butter -- or oil

Sift dry ingredients together. Beat eggs until light. Beat in milk and
butter or oil. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour
egg mixture into it. Quickly stir wet and dry ingredients together until
just blended. If too thick, add more milk, a spoonful at a time.

Heat griddle over medium-low heat and brush with melted butter. Pour
batter by spoonfuls onto the griddle. Cook until bubbles appear all over
the surface. Turn. Top should be evenly browned. Continue cooking until
browned on the bottom as well.

NOTES : Silver Dollar Pancakes: batter should be on the thick side. Drop
by TEASPOONFULS onto griddle.

Seperating the eggs and folding in the whipped whites at the end makes for
fluffier pancakes.

Blueberry Pancakes: Toss 1/2 cup blueberries with sifted dry ingredients
before adding egg mixture.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0