Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi Giusi is offline

Default Pancake Recipe

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article .com>,
> CND > wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm new in the group and I have some questions that perhaps someone
>> can answer. I found a pancake recipe that resembles the taste of my
>> favorite US commercial pancake mix: "Pillsbury's Hungry Jack". I
>> don't remember exactly where I got it from, but this is it:

> Fat helps make baked goods more tender. That's a lot of fat for that
> amount of flour. My recipe uses 2 tablespoons for 1-1/4 cup flour and
> one egg and 1-1//4 cups buttermilk. Also, the whole wheat flour could
> be keeping things flatter, too.
>
> Can you try making half the recipe (it would divide well) and baking the
> pancakes immediately after mixing instead of letting it rest. The
> baking powder begins its leavening action when it is mixed and continues
> with heat. Just a thought.
>
> Good luck.

I agree with no whole wheat flour, and can't remember how much oil, but
that seems a bit much. Also, yes, cookbooks, AIR, say to cook them
quickly. That said, I add more milk because I prefer them flatter. I
actually like them best almost like crepes, very eggy and skinny, with
brown sugar over them then rolled up. Which probably means I have said
nothing of use at all.