Old 16-04-2007, 11:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eat with your eyes first ...

In my travels today, I wound up at Whole Foods. For some
reason, I noticed the salad bar today, and thought ... maybe
I should make a salad to go with the ribs for dinner. What a
gorgeous salad I saw, I had to have it. I took a picture of it so
I can try to recreate it for myself sometime.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4ckvl8k

Cucumber, grape tomatoes, red onion, yellow pepper,
parsley, oil and vinegar, salt and pepper, and parsley.

Maybe I'm missing something. At any rate, it was so refreshing,
and so pretty the way they shaved (peeled? zested?) the cukes.

nancy

Old 16-04-2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 5:05�pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:
In my travels today, I wound up at Whole Foods. *For some
reason, I noticed the salad bar today, and thought ... maybe
I should make a salad to go with the ribs for dinner. *What a
gorgeous salad I saw, I had to have it. *I took a picture of it so
I can try to recreate it for myself sometime.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4ckvl8k

Cucumber, grape tomatoes, red onion, yellow pepper,
parsley, oil and vinegar, salt and pepper, and parsley.

Maybe I'm missing something. *At any rate, it was so refreshing,
and so pretty the way they shaved (peeled? *zested?) the cukes.

nancy

That is one reason I love shopping at Whole Foods, or Central Market.
The produce is beautiful, and arranged so decorativly that you can't
wait to buy it.
Rosie

Old 17-04-2007, 12:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 6:05�pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:
In my travels today, I wound up at Whole Foods. *For some
reason, I noticed the salad bar today, and thought ... maybe
I should make a salad to go with the ribs for dinner. *What a
gorgeous salad I saw, I had to have it. *I took a picture of it so
I can try to recreate it for myself sometime.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4ckvl8k

Cucumber, grape tomatoes, red onion, yellow pepper,
parsley, oil and vinegar, salt and pepper, and parsley.

Maybe I'm missing something. *At any rate, it was so refreshing,
and so pretty the way they shaved (peeled? *zested?) the cukes.

Nice but needs some greens, and I'd add some sliced egg with caviar,
actually salmon roe drizzled over the egg slices would be loverly.
Don't complain, at first I was thinking beets. hehe

Old 17-04-2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
On Apr 16, 6:05?pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:
In my travels today, I wound up at Whole Foods. For some
reason, I noticed the salad bar today, and thought ... maybe
I should make a salad to go with the ribs for dinner. What a
gorgeous salad I saw, I had to have it. I took a picture of it so
I can try to recreate it for myself sometime.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4ckvl8k

Cucumber, grape tomatoes, red onion, yellow pepper,
parsley, oil and vinegar, salt and pepper, and parsley.

Maybe I'm missing something. At any rate, it was so refreshing,
and so pretty the way they shaved (peeled? zested?) the cukes.

Nice but needs some greens

Is the fresh spinach scare completely out of the way now? If so I'd put it
on a bed of spinach or something similar, if nothing else then for
presentation purposes. But what do I know, I don't like salad! I do like
pretty pictures, though

Jill

Old 18-04-2007, 12:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:05:52 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

In my travels today, I wound up at Whole Foods. For some
reason, I noticed the salad bar today, and thought ... maybe
I should make a salad to go with the ribs for dinner. What a
gorgeous salad I saw, I had to have it. I took a picture of it so
I can try to recreate it for myself sometime.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4ckvl8k

Cucumber, grape tomatoes, red onion, yellow pepper,
parsley, oil and vinegar, salt and pepper, and parsley.

Maybe I'm missing something. At any rate, it was so refreshing,
and so pretty the way they shaved (peeled? zested?) the cukes.

What a pretty, colorful salad. It looks like Summer. I could eat a
big dish of that and some bread, maybe some cheese, and I would be
happy. I rarely go to Whole Foods because I have no self control at
that store. Everything is so appealing.

Tara

Old 18-04-2007, 05:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" wrote

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:05:52 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

In my travels today, I wound up at Whole Foods. For some
reason, I noticed the salad bar today, and thought ... maybe
I should make a salad to go with the ribs for dinner. What a
gorgeous salad I saw, I had to have it. I took a picture of it so
I can try to recreate it for myself sometime.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4ckvl8k

The same salad would be 1/5th the price when you make it at home.
Whole Foods here would have charged $8/lb for that salad. The
individual vegetables would have been ~$1.40/lb at a regular
supermarket.

Well, I bought .8lb. To make it I would have had to buy
1 cucumber, 1 red onion, 1 yellow pepper, a container of grape
tomatoes. Parsley. Could I have bought all that for $6.40?
Maybe.

I usually only eat at salad bars that are $5/lb or less. And
even then I'd usually buy my dressing separately from the grocery
shelves. A known good dressing, like Girards.

This really was vinegar with a touch of oil. No expense there.
Aside from my unrelated problem of finding the white wine
vinegar I ran out of last week.

Regardless, I didn't buy it based on price, I bought it because
it just looked so damm good. I took note of the ingredients so
I could recreate it for myself. I'll even fork the cuke ... which ... now
I'm wondering, would English cucumber be good for this? Hmmm.

nancy

Old 18-04-2007, 06:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

(Nancy*Young)
wrote:
In my travels today, I wound up at Whole Foods.
For some reason, I noticed the salad bar today, and
thought ... maybe I should make a salad to go
with the ribs for dinner. What a gorgeous salad I
saw, I had to have it. I took a picture
of it so I can try to recreate it for
myself sometime.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4ckvl8k
Cucumber, grape tomatoes, red onion, yellow pepper, parsley, oil and
vinegar, salt and pepper, and parsley.
Maybe I'm missing something. At any rate, it was so
refreshing, and so pretty the way they shaved (peeled? zested?)
the cukes.
nancy

Looks nice but really needs greens as one poster said.

Once in a while few years back we use to take home a salad from our
local grocery store which had a huge salad bar but got way too expensive
even with the small take out containers.

Couple years ago our board of heath went around various local grocery
stores- both inner city & suburban stores- and took back to their labs
sides from both the salad bars and those free samplers you find on deli
counters and samplers people pass out in stores.

After hearing the results of lab finds we will NEVER again even look at
any salad bars nor taste free samplers in any grocery stores even Whole
Foods which opened a new store 3 miles from us and looking forward to my
first visit.

Old 18-04-2007, 11:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 00:55:49 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

"Steve Wertz" wrote

The same salad would be 1/5th the price when you make it at home.
Whole Foods here would have charged $8/lb for that salad. The
individual vegetables would have been ~$1.40/lb at a regular
supermarket.

Well, I bought .8lb. To make it I would have had to buy
1 cucumber, 1 red onion, 1 yellow pepper, a container of grape
tomatoes. Parsley. Could I have bought all that for $6.40?
Maybe.

Regardless, I didn't buy it based on price, I bought it because
it just looked so damm good. I took note of the ingredients so
I could recreate it for myself. I'll even fork the cuke ... which ... now
I'm wondering, would English cucumber be good for this? Hmmm.

nancy

I hear ya there. I am just flabbergasted at the prices of things
here...at least here in Richmond. Even stores unlike Whole Foods
charge an arm and a leg for stuff like that. Seems like the farther
you go west in this country, the cheaper the veggies become. Even in
NM I could probably get all those ingredients for less than half that
price.

And yes, English cucumbers would be very good, I would think.

Christine
Old 18-04-2007, 12:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" wrote

wrote:

Well, I bought .8lb. To make it I would have had to buy
1 cucumber, 1 red onion, 1 yellow pepper, a container of grape
tomatoes. Parsley. Could I have bought all that for $6.40?
Maybe.

I hear ya there. I am just flabbergasted at the prices of things
here...at least here in Richmond. Even stores unlike Whole Foods
charge an arm and a leg for stuff like that. Seems like the farther
you go west in this country, the cheaper the veggies become. Even in
NM I could probably get all those ingredients for less than half that
price.

We had that discussion once. I don't remember the specifics, but
someone was making the point about You could just buy all that
stuff for 3 bucks. Whatever. I actually pulled out the weekly
circular and posted the prices from local stores. People in California
have it good with the produce prices.

And yes, English cucumbers would be very good, I would think.

Thanks, Christine! (laugh)

nancy

Old 18-04-2007, 01:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 6:05 pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:
In my travels today, I wound up at Whole Foods. For some
reason, I noticed the salad bar today, and thought ... maybe
I should make a salad to go with the ribs for dinner. What a
gorgeous salad I saw, I had to have it. I took a picture of it so
I can try to recreate it for myself sometime.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4ckvl8k

Cucumber, grape tomatoes, red onion, yellow pepper,
parsley, oil and vinegar, salt and pepper, and parsley.

Maybe I'm missing something. At any rate, it was so refreshing,
and so pretty the way they shaved (peeled? zested?) the cukes.

nancy

yeah, maybe a little splash of salt?
nice salad

I went to a nice seafood place fer lunch yesterday.. supposed to be
tops
I had the broiled trout, but the veggies where waaaay overcooked. they
were done in garlic and butter which is fine BUT SWIMMING IN IT? pfft!
the hell they know about fine dining, I shoulda slapped the cook for
destroying the veggies.

Old 18-04-2007, 01:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"ms. tonya" wrote

(Nancy Young)

with the ribs for dinner. What a gorgeous salad I
saw, I had to have it. I took a picture
of it so I can try to recreate it for
myself sometime.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4ckvl8k
Cucumber, grape tomatoes, red onion, yellow pepper, parsley, oil and
vinegar, salt and pepper, and parsley.

Looks nice but really needs greens as one poster said.

I meant to respond to that, didn't get around to it.

When I make cucumber tomato salad, which I do all
summer, I don't put greens in it. I like it like that. To each their
own, of course.

Once in a while few years back we use to take home a salad from our
local grocery store which had a huge salad bar but got way too expensive
even with the small take out containers.

Couple years ago our board of heath went around various local grocery
stores- both inner city & suburban stores- and took back to their labs
sides from both the salad bars and those free samplers you find on deli
counters and samplers people pass out in stores.

After hearing the results of lab finds we will NEVER again even look at
any salad bars nor taste free samplers in any grocery stores even Whole
Foods which opened a new store 3 miles from us and looking forward to my
first visit.

I know, I know. We're surrounded by germs. Everything they test,
nasty germs all over the place. I'm living on the edge. Heh.

nancy

Old 18-04-2007, 01:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 1:52 am, (ms. tonya) wrote:

Looks nice but really needs greens as one poster said.

Not by definition of a salad, but as brainwashed americans.. yes.. a
salad sposed to have greens.

so long as it's spinach or field greens, not ice-berg sit on your
stomach and rot lettuce.

Old 18-04-2007, 01:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" wrote

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 00:55:49 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

"Steve Wertz" wrote

The same salad would be 1/5th the price when you make it at home.
Whole Foods here would have charged $8/lb for that salad. The
individual vegetables would have been ~$1.40/lb at a regular
supermarket.

Well, I bought .8lb. To make it I would have had to buy
1 cucumber, 1 red onion, 1 yellow pepper, a container of grape
tomatoes. Parsley. Could I have bought all that for $6.40?
Maybe.

$5.50 for all that here in Austin. But it would have made about
2.5-3lbs worth, with tomatoes and parsley to spare.

I was on the opposite side of the store, and there was the salad.

I just have this thing about Whole Foods prices.

I can understand that. I shop there for a few specific items.
Once I got a container of chili, that cost. But it's not like they
sprung it on me, the prices are listed right there.

Here in Austin
the prices are astronomical (probably to make up for all the
half-price and free food they provide for their 5 floors of
bloated corporate offices above their store). Half the people
that eat and shop there are employees, it seems.

You said that before, that the prices are even higher at the flagship
store. Can't imagine why they'd do that.

nancy

Old 18-04-2007, 01:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 1:36 am, Steve Wertz wrote:
Half the people
that eat and shop there are employees, it seems.

-sw

that's not economically possible 40 watt

Old 18-04-2007, 01:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote:
"Steve Wertz" wrote
Nancy Young wrote:

[...]

My concern is cleanliness and freshness, I've never bought a prepared
salad from a stupidmarket. I don't mind purchasing all the
ingredients and only using part... they'll still be fine to make other
salads later.

I took note of the ingredients so
I could recreate it for myself. *I'll even fork the cuke ... which ... now
I'm wondering, would English cucumber be good for this? *Hmmm.

Well, depends on your forking preferences... the English cuke is
longer, but it's thinner and has fewer bumps... I think you'd enjoy a
zoftig kirby.

Sheldon

Am I to believe my eyes? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 20 10-07-2008 02:12 AM
I couldn't believe my eyes!!! Andy[_2_] General Cooking 6 28-05-2007 08:06 PM
My eyes! Ahhh!! Nancy Young General Cooking 43 07-09-2006 03:06 AM
Clear Eyes elgoog Tea 4 19-02-2005 03:21 AM
Spider Eyes Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 26-01-2005 05:20 AM