Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wheat Gluten Fiasco Followup: Vets Estimate 1000 - 2000 Dead Pets

<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070409/pet-food-recall?>

No other reports, as yet, on that food grade wheat gluten in the US food
supply. I wish I could feel confident that no human food was affected.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:45:16 -0500, Emma Thackery >
wrote:

><http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070409/pet-food-recall?>
>
>No other reports, as yet, on that food grade wheat gluten in the US food
>supply. I wish I could feel confident that no human food was affected.

Well I gues you'll have to stop eating and starve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 3:45 pm, Emma Thackery > wrote:
> <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070409/pet-food-recall?>
>
> No other reports, as yet, on that food grade wheat gluten in the US food
> supply. I wish I could feel confident that no human food was affected.

What the evidence shows ME is that we put far too much confidence in
brand names. The Canadian company that used the gluten made dog food
under more than 100 different brand names including Iams and Eukenuba.
It makes one stop before spending more money for the hype and
advertising. Perhaps OL ROY is just as good as the brands that cost 6X
more. I know my pet is doing great on the stuff which sells for $1.85
for 5 pounds. I add an egg yolk to each feeding for a little more
protein and my border collie is growing very nicely with LOTS of
energy.

You might recall that there was a peanut butter recall about 6 mo. ago
too. There again it involved several brands. There was Peter Pan and
the Walmart cheap stuff, both made by the same company. There were
others, but again, why pay nearly twice for the same stuff. These
recalls are a real eye opener. dkw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 10, 3:45 pm, Emma Thackery > wrote:
>> <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070409/pet-food-recall?>
>>
>> No other reports, as yet, on that food grade wheat gluten in the US food
>> supply. I wish I could feel confident that no human food was affected.

> What the evidence shows ME is that we put far too much confidence in
> brand names. The Canadian company that used the gluten made dog food
> under more than 100 different brand names including Iams and Eukenuba.
> It makes one stop before spending more money for the hype and
> advertising. Perhaps OL ROY is just as good as the brands that cost 6X
> more. I know my pet is doing great on the stuff which sells for $1.85
> for 5 pounds. I add an egg yolk to each feeding for a little more
> protein and my border collie is growing very nicely with LOTS of
> energy.
>
> You might recall that there was a peanut butter recall about 6 mo. ago
> too. There again it involved several brands. There was Peter Pan and
> the Walmart cheap stuff, both made by the same company. There were
> others, but again, why pay nearly twice for the same stuff. These
> recalls are a real eye opener. dkw

The same manufacturing plant might make more than one brand of something but
they don't use the same quality of ingredients for the cheap stuff as they
do for the expensive stuff. They're called grade changes and they happen in
any kind of food plant. Product is sorted into grades before it's sent thru
the manufacturing process.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 7:56 pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Apr 10, 3:45 pm, Emma Thackery > wrote:
> >> <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070409/pet-food-recall?>

> >> No other reports, as yet, on that food grade wheat gluten in the US food
> >> supply. I wish I could feel confident that no human food was affected.

> > What the evidence shows ME is that we put far too much confidence in
> > brand names. The Canadian company that used the gluten made dog food
> > under more than 100 different brand names including Iams and Eukenuba.
> > It makes one stop before spending more money for the hype and
> > advertising. Perhaps OL ROY is just as good as the brands that cost 6X
> > more. I know my pet is doing great on the stuff which sells for $1.85
> > for 5 pounds. I add an egg yolk to each feeding for a little more
> > protein and my border collie is growing very nicely with LOTS of
> > energy.

> > You might recall that there was a peanut butter recall about 6 mo. ago
> > too. There again it involved several brands. There was Peter Pan and
> > the Walmart cheap stuff, both made by the same company. There were
> > others, but again, why pay nearly twice for the same stuff. These
> > recalls are a real eye opener. dkw

> The same manufacturing plant might make more than one brand of something but
> they don't use the same quality of ingredients for the cheap stuff as they
> do for the expensive stuff. They're called grade changes and they happen in
> any kind of food plant. Product is sorted into grades before it's sent thru
> the manufacturing process.
>
> Ms P

If the "grade change" process was worth anything, they would have
picked up on the poison BEFORE they poisoned a bunch of animals.
Apparently, they ALL used the cheap stuff. I'm suspect of advertising
quality claims. You should be too, especially after this. In the
peanut butter case, ConAgra made all the peanut butter. Not much in
peanut butter to mix differently. There too, all their peanut butter
was recalled. Remember too, that sometimes those better quality
products are tainted. Remember Perier water? They cleaned their
equipment so well.....but failed to rinse the poison disinfectant off
of it. I'm not at all convinced that Iam's ground corn is any better
than Walmart's ground corn. dkw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ms P" > wrote

> > wrote

>> What the evidence shows ME is that we put far too much confidence in
>> brand names. The Canadian company that used the gluten made dog food
>> under more than 100 different brand names including Iams and Eukenuba.
>> It makes one stop before spending more money for the hype and
>> advertising. Perhaps OL ROY is just as good as the brands that cost 6X
>> more.

> The same manufacturing plant might make more than one brand of something
> but they don't use the same quality of ingredients for the cheap stuff as
> they do for the expensive stuff. They're called grade changes and they
> happen in any kind of food plant. Product is sorted into grades before
> it's sent thru the manufacturing process.

Definitely I've seen the results of feeding pets better food. They use
much more of it, some of that cheap food just comes out the other end.
Just because the same place is making different foods doesn't mean they
are using all the same ingredients. As you said.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Ms P" > wrote
>
>> > wrote

>>> What the evidence shows ME is that we put far too much confidence in
>>> brand names. The Canadian company that used the gluten made dog food
>>> under more than 100 different brand names including Iams and Eukenuba.
>>> It makes one stop before spending more money for the hype and
>>> advertising. Perhaps OL ROY is just as good as the brands that cost 6X
>>> more.

>> The same manufacturing plant might make more than one brand of something
>> but they don't use the same quality of ingredients for the cheap stuff as
>> they do for the expensive stuff. They're called grade changes and they
>> happen in any kind of food plant. Product is sorted into grades before
>> it's sent thru the manufacturing process.

> Definitely I've seen the results of feeding pets better food. They use
> much more of it, some of that cheap food just comes out the other end.
> Just because the same place is making different foods doesn't mean they
> are using all the same ingredients. As you said.
>
> nancy

I know it's made a huge difference for my cats. They're both healthier. My
girl cat had quite the odor problem when she was a kitten and changing her
to a better quality food made a huge difference.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Apr 10, 3:45 pm, Emma Thackery > wrote:
>> <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070409/pet-food-recall?>
>>
>> No other reports, as yet, on that food grade wheat gluten in the US food
>> supply. I wish I could feel confident that no human food was affected.

> What the evidence shows ME is that we put far too much confidence in
> brand names. The Canadian company that used the gluten made dog food
> under more than 100 different brand names including Iams and Eukenuba.

Actually, it was 95 brands of pet food, 40 of which were cat food, I
believe.

> It makes one stop before spending more money for the hype and
> advertising. Perhaps OL ROY is just as good as the brands that cost 6X
> more. I know my pet is doing great on the stuff which sells for $1.85
> for 5 pounds. I add an egg yolk to each feeding for a little more
> protein and my border collie is growing very nicely with LOTS of
> energy.
>
> You might recall that there was a peanut butter recall about 6 mo. ago
> too. There again it involved several brands. There was Peter Pan and
> the Walmart cheap stuff, both made by the same company. There were
> others, but again, why pay nearly twice for the same stuff. These
> recalls are a real eye opener. dkw

Ol' Roy as made for Walmart was the subject of a recall last June;
here's a link from the Connecticut Department of Agricultu

http://www.ct.gov/doag/cwp/view.asp?Q=316548
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Apr 10, 7:56 pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...

>>> What the evidence shows ME is that we put far too much confidence in
>>> brand names. The Canadian company that used the gluten made dog food
>>> under more than 100 different brand names including Iams and Eukenuba.
>>> It makes one stop before spending more money for the hype and
>>> advertising. Perhaps OL ROY is just as good as the brands that cost 6X
>>> more. I know my pet is doing great on the stuff which sells for $1.85
>>> for 5 pounds. I add an egg yolk to each feeding for a little more
>>> protein and my border collie is growing very nicely with LOTS of
>>> energy.
>>> You might recall that there was a peanut butter recall about 6 mo. ago
>>> too. There again it involved several brands. There was Peter Pan and
>>> the Walmart cheap stuff, both made by the same company. There were
>>> others, but again, why pay nearly twice for the same stuff. These
>>> recalls are a real eye opener. dkw

>> The same manufacturing plant might make more than one brand of something but
>> they don't use the same quality of ingredients for the cheap stuff as they
>> do for the expensive stuff. They're called grade changes and they happen in
>> any kind of food plant. Product is sorted into grades before it's sent thru
>> the manufacturing process.
>>
>> Ms P

> If the "grade change" process was worth anything, they would have
> picked up on the poison BEFORE they poisoned a bunch of animals.

Actually, the ingredients that would be graded for price point/quality
would be the meats and vegetables used in the foods, not the fillers
like wheat gluten or corn gluten, or vitamin and mineral additions that
would be common to all varieties and brands regardless of price point.
Besides; the contaminant was not something anyone could possibly have
anticipated, and chances are the fact that it was cheap had nothing to
do with anything in terms of whether or not it was contaminated.

BTW, the importer of the wheat gluten, ChemNutra, is an American company
based in Las Vegas whose market niche is sourcing raw ingredients from
China for incorporation into human food, pet food, and pharmaceuticals:

http://www.chemnutra.com/

> Apparently, they ALL used the cheap stuff.

As do producers of human food as well; you're likely familiar with high
fructose corn syrup, which is becoming ubiquitous in the human food
supply as a cheap substitute for cane sugar. You're likely also
familiar with hydrogenated oils, a cheap substitute for butter that has
been used for years and that food processors are now being urged to stop
using because of the health impact of trans fat.

I'm suspect of advertising
> quality claims. You should be too, especially after this. In the
> peanut butter case, ConAgra made all the peanut butter. Not much in
> peanut butter to mix differently. There too, all their peanut butter
> was recalled. Remember too, that sometimes those better quality
> products are tainted. Remember Perier water? They cleaned their
> equipment so well.....but failed to rinse the poison disinfectant off
> of it. I'm not at all convinced that Iam's ground corn is any better
> than Walmart's ground corn. dkw

Vital Wheat Gluten/Gluten Flour Rachel Grier Vegetarian cooking 6 28-04-2007 12:11 PM
Tainted Wheat Gluten Fiasco Emma Thackery General Cooking 68 20-04-2007 02:58 AM
Use of Vital Wheat Gluten in Sourdough Whole Wheat Bob K Sourdough 3 21-01-2006 06:24 PM
Vital Wheat Gluten?? Raj V Baking 18 15-01-2005 05:19 PM
how to use wheat gluten Alan Baking 1 05-12-2003 02:23 AM