Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Vital Wheat Gluten/Gluten Flour

Hello All

I am looking for a source/supplier of vital wheat gluten (gluten flour) in
the UK. The only place that pops up on google is some kind of Atkins
website but I can't even find the flour on there.

I am really looking forward to making all sorts of flavoured seitan and
roasts but need the flour. My only alternative is some cheap flour from the
US but with fantastically expensive postage!

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks.

Rachel
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Rachel Grier > wrote:
> I am looking for a source/supplier of vital wheat gluten (gluten flour) in
> the UK. The only place that pops up on google is some kind of Atkins
> website but I can't even find the flour on there.

I get mine from the Flour Bin:
http://www.flourbin.com/flour.html

Minimum postage charge is 7 quid, but you get up to 28kg for that, and
you can easily bulk out your order with their huge range of flours and
things. Their bread flour is very good quality. They also do grains,
nuts, seeds, herbs, spices, etc. (The gluten flour is called "gluten powder"
on the site.)

Kake
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Hi Rachel, living in Germany and Greece I have never heard of any special
gluten flour but use the "normal" inexpensive flour from the supermarket to
produce my own seitan. All the recipes I found recommend this.

Need the recipe?

Regina
--
www.archenoah-kreta.com
As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Jan 25, 8:07 am, "Regina Schmid" > wrote:
> Hi Rachel, living in Germany and Greece I have never heard of any special
> gluten flour but use the "normal" inexpensive flour from the supermarket to
> produce my own seitan. All the recipes I found recommend this.
>
> Need the recipe?
>
> Regina
> --www.archenoah-kreta.com
> As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings
> he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals,
> they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain
> cannot reap joy and love. (Pythagoras)

I remember doing an experiment at college, where you make a dough ball
with regular flour, then wash out the starch under the tap, leaving
you with pure gluten dough.....
not sure if I could recreate it though!

Winston

www.cooksbooks.info
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Winston wrote:

| I remember doing an experiment at college, where you make a dough ball
| with regular flour, then wash out the starch under the tap, leaving
| you with pure gluten dough.....
| not sure if I could recreate it though!

Hi Winston, this is exactly how I produce my own seitan!

What you need next is a strong, spicy broth where you put the pure gluten,
torn into small pieces, or put in the shape of tiny "schnitzels" and simmer
it to get the taste.

For this broth I usually cut in tiny pieces and stir-fry in oil an onion and
some cloves of garlic until light brown, then add as strong vegetable broth
from instant powder or cubes, 2 - 3 bay leaves, some cloves, a dried chilli,
ground pepper, salt if necessary, some wine if available, some soy sauce...

In this broth I let the pieces simmer at least for 30 minutes. If you don't
use them immediately for cooking, you can keep them together with the broth
in a jar or plastic bowl with cover for at least one week in the
refrigerator.

Don't throw the broth away. Use it to prepare a tasty sauce to go with the
seitan pieces.

Usually I either cook a "goulash"-like dish with the pieces by adding a tin
of peeled and cut tomatoes (reduce the liquid by cooking to get a thick
sauce) or I make "schnitzel" by covering the larger pieces with egg and
bread crumbs and fry them. With little fresh lemon juice on top, served with
a bavarian style potato salad... delicious! Another recipe is with cut
gherkin and cream for the sauce.

Enjoy!

Regina
--
www.archenoah-kreta.com
As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings
he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals,
they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain
cannot reap joy and love. (Pythagoras)

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

winston > wrote:
> I remember doing an experiment at college, where you make a dough ball
> with regular flour, then wash out the starch under the tap, leaving
> you with pure gluten dough.....
> not sure if I could recreate it though!

Yep, that's the regular "from scratch" way of doing it! Works pretty well.

I quite like using the gluten flour though, since it lets you mix dry
flavourings (e.g. nutritional yeast) into the product.

Kake
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

"Regina Schmid" > wrote:
> Hi Rachel, living in Germany and Greece I have never heard of any special
> gluten flour but use the "normal" inexpensive flour from the supermarket
> to produce my own seitan. All the recipes I found recommend this.
>
> Need the recipe?

Hi Regina,

I would appreciate the recipe for making seitan from "regular" flour.
Thanks.

~Semper Fi~

Source for Vital Wheat Gluten in Uk Rachel Grier Vegan 0 24-01-2007 02:58 PM
Vital Wheat Gluten?? Raj V Baking 18 15-01-2005 05:19 PM
Vital Wheat Gluten?? Raj V Sourdough 18 15-01-2005 05:19 PM
Vital Wheat Gluten?? Raj V Baking 0 13-01-2005 07:56 PM
Vital Wheat Gluten?? Raj V Sourdough 0 13-01-2005 07:56 PM