Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do I open sugar cane?

My subject sais it all. I have no clue what the inside od sugar can
looks like and my family and I just got a stalk. how exactly do I open
it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 25, 9:26 am, wrote:
> My subject sais it all. I have no clue what the inside od sugar can
> looks like and my family and I just got a stalk. how exactly do I open
> it?

You cut it into length easy to handle say 8 to 12 inches. Then you
put one end in your mouth and start chewing and sucking the juice.
After you get most of the juice you spit out the pulp. Take another
bite. Repeat till you've had enough. If the stalk has a very hard
husk, you can split it in two lengthwise to make it easier to get to
the pulp.

The other way it's used is extracting the juice using a press and
drinking the juice. Don't know if a juicer will handle it. Try some
small pieces. If it works you'll have a treat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>, wrote:
>My subject sais it all. I have no clue what the inside od sugar can
>looks like and my family and I just got a stalk. how exactly do I open it?

As kids we just took a stick and banged it on a tree to bust the tough
outer rind and get at the sweet white fibres inside which you chew to
extract the juice and then spit out the fibrous wad. They would break
out in very conveniently sized lumps for chewing. :-)

A more refined technique is to cut out the single internodes, usually
by cutting close below the nodes so that you ended up with short
lengths with the tough nodal bit at the bottom of each for a handle.

Once cut like that, it's simply a matter of "skinning" the piece by
cutting down between the rind and the pith from the "open" end to the
"handle". Then you can quarter the piece longitudinally to make the
bits easier to chew on. You can cut up a batch and store them in the
fridge for a day or so -- if you can cut faster than eat.

I might add that most of the modern canes here in Oz are barely
edible. They are now so high in fibre that the pulp itself is almost
impossible to chew. I think breeders went for higher fibre to
counteract both loss of pith and microbial degradation of the billets
once the industry moved to from whole-stick mechanical harvesting to
the modern "billet" harvesters which chop the sticks up into
relatively short pieces. Many of the modern varieties are also barely
distinguishable from bloody Guinea grass, the stems are so thin!

Badilla was a great eating cane having both a good thick stem and low
fibre pulp. I believe it was the only "noble cane" (_Saccharum
officinarum_) directly introduced from the wild (PNG?) to commercial
sugar production in Oz. I don't think its grown here any longer other
than in genetic resource collections.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:

>> I don't know that you open it. I thought one crushed it to extract the
>> sweet juice? I know at the chain restaurant Bahama Breeze, they have
>> old fashioned rolling/crushing devices to do it as it is an important
>> ingredient in their mojitos.

> Love their jamaican beef patties and mango salsa.

Oh yeah!! I always get those too. It is one chain restaurant that I
really like a LOT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I work in Brixton, london, which has a large West Indian community, what you
need is a bloody big machete to strip off the bark, then cut into lengths
that you chew, spitting out the pulp. it's a little disappointing I find,
not as sweet and rich as you'd expect, a bit like sugar water really.

Winston
www.cooksbooks.info

--
Please consider sponsoring me in the 120 mile "Etape Anglais" on July 1st,
2007.
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My subject sais it all. I have no clue what the inside od sugar can
> looks like and my family and I just got a stalk. how exactly do I open
> it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> My subject sais it all. I have no clue what the inside od sugar can
> looks like and my family and I just got a stalk. how exactly do I open
> it?

Human teeth are just not well designed for masticating sugar cane,
simply proves vegetarianism is a myth. Much easier and far more
satisfying to uncap a bottle of rum.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 Mar 2007 09:49:32 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

wrote:
>> My subject sais it all. I have no clue what the inside od sugar can
>> looks like and my family and I just got a stalk. how exactly do I open
>> it?

>Human teeth are just not well designed for masticating sugar cane,
>simply proves vegetarianism is a myth. Much easier and far more
>satisfying to uncap a bottle of rum.

You just wanted to use the word "masticating" :-)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>> My subject sais it all. I have no clue what the inside od sugar can
>> looks like and my family and I just got a stalk. how exactly do I open
>> it?

>Human teeth are just not well designed for masticating sugar cane,
>simply proves vegetarianism is a myth. Much easier and far more
>satisfying to uncap a bottle of rum.
>
>Sheldon

Oh I am sorry to argue wiht you Shldon. Please be gentle. One
doesn't masticate the sugar cane fibre-- more than just to extract the
juice. You chew the fibres to get the juice and then spit out the
rest. In a sugar mill, big crushers squeeze the stalks to extract the
juice. Sort of the same method. Then the sugar juice is boiled...and
you eventually have sugar crystals.

Early Hawaiians did have beautiful teeth and their sugar cane was one
of the 12 "Canoe plants" that they chose to bring on their early
migration.

aloha,
beans
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> My subject sais it all. I have no clue what the inside od sugar can
>>> looks like and my family and I just got a stalk. how exactly do I open
>>> it?

>>Human teeth are just not well designed for masticating sugar cane,
>>simply proves vegetarianism is a myth. Much easier and far more
>>satisfying to uncap a bottle of rum.
>>
>>Sheldon

> Oh I am sorry to argue wiht you Shldon. Please be gentle.

hahaha! I want some of what you're on, beans!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 25, 3:10�pm, wrote:
> On 25 Mar 2007 09:49:32 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> wrote:
> >> My subject sais it all. I have no clue what the inside od sugar can
> >> looks like and my family and I just got a stalk. how exactly do I open
> >> it?

> >Human teeth are just not well designed for masticating sugar cane,
> >simply proves vegetarianism is a myth. *Much easier and far more
> >satisfying to uncap a bottle of rum.

> >Sheldon

> Oh I am sorry to argue wiht you Shldon. *

So, Beans... you farted away any sense of humor you may have had. And
if you're going to post diatribes filled with gibberish, proof read,
you illiterate newbie *******.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cyber****" wrote:
> Beans wrote:

> >>Human teeth are just not well designed for masticating sugar cane,
> >>simply proves vegetarianism is a myth. *Much easier and far more
> >>satisfying to uncap a bottle of rum.

> > Oh I am sorry to argue wiht you Shldon. *

> hahaha! I want some of what you're on, beans!!

He's on sucking donkey dick... right up your alley, ****... Beans'
retarded sister! <G>

Aahhahahahahahahahawhahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 25, 9:21�pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On 25 Mar 2007 07:26:48 -0700, wrote:
>
> > My subject sais it all. I have no clue what the inside od sugar can
> > looks like and my family and I just got a stalk. how exactly do I open
> > it?

> A lot of the stuff you buy in the stores, depending on where you
> live, is pretty dry and solid. *
>
> I recommend a hacksaw or band saw. *Then make sugarcane shrimp
> (Vietnamese)
>
> Chewing it reminds of chewing on a Popsicle stick or pencil - it
> gives me the goose bumps just thinking about it.

'Zactly, the petrified crap in the US stupidmarket is a far cry from
cane cut fresh in the field. I think mostly some Hispanic markets in
the US stock a small bunch of cane in the produce section primarily as
some kinda feel-good back-home thingie... all the times I'd patronize
the Hispanic markets I never saw anyone buy any. Harvesting cane is
done by hand with a machete, it's one of the most oppressive jobs on
the planet... perhaps they keep a sheaf of cane at the Hispanic
markets in the US just to remind some of their Hispanic patrons how
their landscaping job ain't that bad. I've been up close and personal
to cane fields in Belize, that's way beyond slave labor.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> if you're going to post diatribes filled with gibberish, proof read, you
> illiterate newbie *******.

I'm saving this to throw in Sheldon's face again and again, every time he
goes on one of his incoherent rants.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:52:56 -0400, Goomba38 >

>> My subject sais it all. I have no clue what the inside od sugar can
>> looks like and my family and I just got a stalk. how exactly do I open
>> it?
>>

>I don't know that you open it. I thought one crushed it to extract the
>sweet juice? I know at the chain restaurant Bahama Breeze, they have old
>fashioned rolling/crushing devices to do it as it is an important
>ingredient in their mojitos.

In order to chew sugar cane, one must peel off the tough skin.
Typically, a cane-chewer will score the skin around the circumference
of the stalk with a sharp knife. Then, s/he will slice the peel
downwards in sections and pop it off the cane. The sugar cane's
interior is white and sweet (duh) and very juicy. When I've chewed
it, I sectioned the fibrous insides along the grain and cut small
wedges off across the grain. After the cane segment has been chewed
till all the sweetness and the slightly grassy flavor are gone, the
cane-chewer spits out the fibers and cuts another piece.
--

modom

http://www.koyote.com/users/modom/home.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 25, 9:26 am, wrote:
> My subject sais it all. I have no clue what the inside od sugar can
> looks like and my family and I just got a stalk. how exactly do I open
> it?

If you're going to grill shrimp on it or something, then you want to
score the outside skin with a sharp knife (8ths should do), then peel
it (my steel bladed cross-wise veggie peeler will do it) then cut it
into stakes with a cleaver.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 Mar 2007 21:00:12 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> if you're going to post diatribes filled with gibberish, proof read, you
>> illiterate newbie *******.

>I'm saving this to throw in Sheldon's face again and again, every time he
>goes on one of his incoherent rants.
>
>Bob

it's like the spic calling the wop black, all right.

your pal,
blake

evaporated cane sugar sf[_9_] General Cooking 39 01-08-2013 01:46 AM
Sugar Cane Wine mdginzo Winemaking 1 22-12-2005 06:21 PM
Sugar Cane April W. Barbecue 40 30-08-2004 06:24 PM
WHEAT,BEET SUGAR,CANE SUGAR,YELLOW CORN,MILK POWER,etc. krzysiek Marketplace 0 02-03-2004 09:33 PM
sugar cane Mediadrome Mexican Cooking 2 08-12-2003 07:15 PM