toolguy

Default gobble gobble.... it's turkey time in Canada 2 questions on Pumpkin pie

Hi all,

I'm well know amongst friends and family for my Pumpkin Chiffon pies.
This year I thought to try a couple of new ideas and I'd like to get
feedback please.

1. I thought the pie could be improved with fresh ginger instead of
powdered. The recipe calls for a 1/2 teaspoon of dried. How much
minced fresh ginger would you suggest to sub for the dried? Has
anyone done this and if so, how'd it turn out? Was it an improvement
over the powdered ginger?

2. My recipe whips egg whites to fold in with the pumpkin etc. I read
a recipe on Epicurious which uses whipped whipping cream instead of
egg whites. Sounds like this might be a possible improvement. Any
thoughts on this???

TIA

Neil

Sylvia

> fresh ginger instead of powdered

I'd think about this one. Fresh ginger is wonderful in its place but
(a) the grated pieces are larger than the ground powder so some people
may bite into ginger pieces and (b) fresh has more "bite" than powdered,
more suited IMNSHO to savory dishes than sweet. But if you decide you
want to try it anyway, the conventional ratio is 3x as much fresh as dried.

> whipped whipping cream instead of egg whites.

Extremely possible. Beaten egg whites are lighter=tasting while whipped
cream is richer-tasting and a little heavier. You're familiar with your
recipe so you'll need to decide whether the heavier feel would affect
everyone's enjoyment or not.

BTW, when IS Thanksgiving up there?

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

toolguy

Thanksgiving in Canada is on the 2nd Monday of October. This year
it's October 13th. We don't make as much of a fuss about it as done
in November in the US but it's always a big, yummy meal.

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 04:08:12 GMT, Sylvia
> wrote:

> > fresh ginger instead of powdered

>I'd think about this one. Fresh ginger is wonderful in its place but
>(a) the grated pieces are larger than the ground powder so some people
>may bite into ginger pieces and (b) fresh has more "bite" than powdered,
>more suited IMNSHO to savory dishes than sweet. But if you decide you
>want to try it anyway, the conventional ratio is 3x as much fresh as dried.
>
> > whipped whipping cream instead of egg whites.

>Extremely possible. Beaten egg whites are lighter=tasting while whipped
>cream is richer-tasting and a little heavier. You're familiar with your
>recipe so you'll need to decide whether the heavier feel would affect
>everyone's enjoyment or not.
>
>BTW, when IS Thanksgiving up there?

toolguy

I have an incredible recipe for a Gingerbread cake that has an
amazingly huge amount of fresh ginger in it. It's unbelievable! This
is what got me to thinking that using fresh could improve the finished
Pumpkin pie.

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 04:08:12 GMT, Sylvia
> wrote:

> > fresh ginger instead of powdered

>I'd think about this one. Fresh ginger is wonderful in its place but
>(a) the grated pieces are larger than the ground powder so some people
>may bite into ginger pieces and (b) fresh has more "bite" than powdered,
>more suited IMNSHO to savory dishes than sweet. But if you decide you
>want to try it anyway, the conventional ratio is 3x as much fresh as dried.
>
> > whipped whipping cream instead of egg whites.

>Extremely possible. Beaten egg whites are lighter=tasting while whipped
>cream is richer-tasting and a little heavier. You're familiar with your
>recipe so you'll need to decide whether the heavier feel would affect
>everyone's enjoyment or not.
>
>BTW, when IS Thanksgiving up there?

toolguy

Default gobble gobble.... it's turkey time in Canada 2 questions on Pum...

Hi Helen,

Thanks for your comment. Tried and true recipes are great but change
is good too. I'm hoping to improve upon my favorite not abondon it.
I may do a test run on it this week just so I don't get any surprises.

Regards,

Neil

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 21:34:35 -0700 (PDT), (Helen C.)
wrote:

(toolguy) wrote:

><I'm well know amongst friends and family for my Pumpkin Chiffon pies.
>This year I thought to try a couple of new ideas and I'd like to get
>feedback please.>
><snip>
>////////////
>
>If your family and friends like your Pumpkin Chiffon pies, I don't know
>if you'd be wanting to mess with a good thing. Is there anything else
>that you've had a notion to try that you could serve along with your
>wonderful pies?
>
>Just a thought....
>Sincerely, Helen

Jean B.

toolguy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm well know amongst friends and family for my Pumpkin Chiffon pies.
> This year I thought to try a couple of new ideas and I'd like to get
> feedback please.
>
> 1. I thought the pie could be improved with fresh ginger instead of
> powdered. The recipe calls for a 1/2 teaspoon of dried. How much
> minced fresh ginger would you suggest to sub for the dried? Has
> anyone done this and if so, how'd it turn out? Was it an improvement
> over the powdered ginger?
>
> 2. My recipe whips egg whites to fold in with the pumpkin etc. I read
> a recipe on Epicurious which uses whipped whipping cream instead of
> egg whites. Sounds like this might be a possible improvement. Any
> thoughts on this???
>
> TIA
>
> Neil

My idea, don't fool with perfection! I, too, am famed for pumpkin
chiffon pies.
--
Jean B., 12 miles west of Boston, Massachusetts, USA